Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#59208 - 20 Aug 07 03:23 pot? (marijuana)
Ryan Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi

I am being sent by work to Jakarta for a couple of months from Sydney. However I do a smoke fair bit of marijuana and have done so for years (10+ years), and would probably have a fun time going to sleep if I was left without.

Also wouldn't mind an update on the legal situation (will I go to jail for a stick (1g) of pot) or will there be some massive bribe involved?

I guess bongs arn't hard to find since "Agung" is an Indonesian brand and they are the main brand of bongs here in oz.

Thanks

Edited by Dilli (20 Aug 07 05:34)
Edit Reason: Site Policy on Drugs

#59209 - 20 Aug 07 05:33 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Ryan]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Read ths!

http://www.sexualfront.com/liberalize-law.htm

As you will see the local cops will not take kindly to any use of prohibited materials and although the article makes a case for liberalisation of the current statutes, it is worth noticing the penalties and consequences.

In addition, JakChat is a "drug free" website ( a policy of choice), and does not allow postings on drug related issues other than discussions on a socialogical level.

I have deleted one sentence of your post as it contravenes this policy, other than that, left it unedited.

May be an idea to stop smoking now so that by the time you get here your sleep problem may be controllable, otherwise, you may not get a great deal off sleep in an Indonesian prison.

#59212 - 20 Aug 07 07:29 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
if you can't live without pot in indonesia, then just don't come here. it really, truly is not worth it.

#59214 - 20 Aug 07 08:15 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
In a rare sensible moment -

Anybody silly enough to mess with any sort of drugs in Indo deserves what will come to them - and you won't buy your way out of it. And to be honest rightly so - I still remember a drug and AIDS free Indo , and it is only scum like Corby who encouraged the consumption of that shite.

You can generally get in enough trouble with booze without having to mess with dope - and it seems that it is pretty conclusively proven that weed does pretty nasty things to you - it is not the toy that it used to be considered.

Seems that this may be a good time for you to kick the habit (mother superior) - if you can't sleep without the shite - what other harm is it doing?

#59215 - 20 Aug 07 08:20 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Dilli]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
Take with you also plenty of clean under clothes, About 20 years worth should see you throgh your extended holiday

#59217 - 20 Aug 07 08:32 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Diyu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Diyu
Take with you also plenty of clean under clothes, About 20 years worth should see you throgh your extended holiday

They won't stay on very long though, and I suspect that the minyak goreng that the inmates use will make them difficult to wash.

#59222 - 20 Aug 07 08:57 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
To find out what happens, check the more recent threads in the Jalan Jaksa forum.

#59223 - 20 Aug 07 08:58 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I presume we are talking about the effects of alcohol?

#59225 - 20 Aug 07 09:03 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

plus, plus, plus other things in almost all the recent cases of trouble...

#59226 - 20 Aug 07 09:11 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I knew I had this somewhere....

Attachments
jail.jpg

#59227 - 20 Aug 07 09:32 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Bottom line Ryan is while you can get drugs with relative ease in Indonesia you need to think very carefully about where you are buying them from and if you think it is really worth while. Like you I used many wonderful drugs on a weekly basis before coming to Indonesia. When I came here I decided that it just wasn't worth it as I had to much to lose. Better you fill your time with drinking and shagging

#59234 - 20 Aug 07 10:01 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: chewwyUK]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"Anybody silly enough to mess with any sort of drugs in Indo deserves what will come to them - and you won't buy your way out of it. And to be honest rightly so - I still remember a drug and AIDS free Indo , and it is only scum like Corby who encouraged the consumption of that shite."

ohhh puhhlease, get off your high-horse you silly drunken old fool; Indonesia has been riddled with drug usage for ages; in fact, Jl. Jaksa is/was notorious for being an area to buy drugs off the street in mass quantities.

As for AIDS, it was heavily introduced by Thai fishermen and otehr Asian businessmen and labourers who started shagging local hookers, not to mention local men's own questionable practices; it was not drugs alone that started the epidemic.

The turning point for drugs was the appointment of Gen. Sutanto who has taken a strict no tolerance attitude towards illegal drug activity throughout the entire archipelago. Prior to that, 'the rules' were slightly different, in that authorities wer're often more malleable towards these issues, especially regarding foreigners, and immediate remedies were offered more discreetly.

In Bali particularly, authorities work in conjunction with dealers in order to set-up punters; this scam has been going on for years and will continue to do so, and 'they' love nothing more than parading a white trophy.

Corby may well be a scum-bag, as is her family, but she only contributed a tiny fraction of what really goes on over there, considering it is actually Latin American dealers who are protected by elements of the local authorities that do the real damage to the place.

At the end of the day, don't take the risks, it is not worth it, you will be set up and unless you can bribe the arresting officer, it will cost you in the vicinity of US 50k to get out of a jam, and that's only if you play by the rules; i.e. accept you are drug addict, cooperate with authorities, say sorry, be polite in court, take all the invasive Indo media attention on the chin and don't implicate anybody else and don't mention the word corruption.

CLEAN UP & DON'T GET INVOLVED.

#59239 - 20 Aug 07 10:15 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: naga]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

US$ 50K appears to be the going rate. In early June two girls from an International School were arrested at Splash in Kemang with a solitary joint.

Both fathers worked for International Oil Companies, the companies paid up US$50K each and the families were out of Jakarta within two days....

#59269 - 20 Aug 07 16:24 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
nay more tootin' fer me. Too risky these days.

#59270 - 20 Aug 07 16:26 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Roy's Hair]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
As an average bule, weed is about the only thing they can get you for. My mate did 3 months in Jakarta, poor sod. Didn't get bummed in the showers though

#59274 - 20 Aug 07 16:44 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: naga]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: naga
"Anybody silly enough to mess with any sort of drugs in Indo deserves what will come to them - and you won't buy your way out of it. And to be honest rightly so - I still remember a drug and AIDS free Indo , and it is only scum like Corby who encouraged the consumption of that shite."

ohhh puhhlease, get off your high-horse you silly drunken old fool; Indonesia has been riddled with drug usage for ages; in fact, Jl. Jaksa is/was notorious for being an area to buy drugs off the street in mass quantities.

As for AIDS, it was heavily introduced by Thai fishermen and otehr Asian businessmen and labourers who started shagging local hookers, not to mention local men's own questionable practices; it was not drugs alone that started the epidemic.

The turning point for drugs was the appointment of Gen. Sutanto who has taken a strict no tolerance attitude towards illegal drug activity throughout the entire archipelago. Prior to that, 'the rules' were slightly different, in that authorities wer're often more malleable towards these issues, especially regarding foreigners, and immediate remedies were offered more discreetly.

In Bali particularly, authorities work in conjunction with dealers in order to set-up punters; this scam has been going on for years and will continue to do so, and 'they' love nothing more than parading a white trophy.

Corby may well be a scum-bag, as is her family, but she only contributed a tiny fraction of what really goes on over there, considering it is actually Latin American dealers who are protected by elements of the local authorities that do the real damage to the place.

At the end of the day, don't take the risks, it is not worth it, you will be set up and unless you can bribe the arresting officer, it will cost you in the vicinity of US 50k to get out of a jam, and that's only if you play by the rules; i.e. accept you are drug addict, cooperate with authorities, say sorry, be polite in court, take all the invasive Indo media attention on the chin and don't implicate anybody else and don't mention the word corruption.

CLEAN UP & DON'T GET INVOLVED.

Yet again I have to question your mental function - you can't spell "cewek" but I can spell TWAT and that is what you are.

And you really think that will work? Yet again , what a TWAT , drugs is the one thing you won't buy your way out of here (edited-with everyday money). I just can't believe how shit silly you really are to even suggest it. Does the possibility of a bullet not frighten you?

Personally I think anyone that messes with that sort of shit where they don't speak the language (take that as a hint Naga) deserves all they get - I have to say that anyone that is so addicted to weed that they can't sleep/do without it needs to look deep inside themselves.

Do you reckon that if Charlie Farley gets caught and buys his way out of a bullet/gaol , that he can pay his boss to forget that he is a worthless dopehead? Come now Naga , what do you think?

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (20 Aug 07 17:00)

#59275 - 20 Aug 07 17:11 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
Did you entirely mis-read the post?

or, is this just the world's worst troll attempt?

Perhaps you need to sober up and read the post again tmw (preferably before 9am when you're having yer first drink); this is an anti-drugs post, not pro...i assuming english is your first language.

"..where they don't speak the language (take that as a hint Naga).."

uhh, i do speak the language and how would you know what i can and can't spell?

Also, i'm not an alcoholic, unemployed, penniless bum trapped with nowhere else to go (take that as a hint CM).

and you CAN buy your way out of a drugs bust, it's just far more expensive than the good 'ol days...

#59277 - 20 Aug 07 17:33 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: naga]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: naga
and you CAN buy your way out of a drugs bust, it's just far more expensive than the good 'ol days...

Oh the stories I could tell (about other people)... but best I don't go down that path, suffice to say that a savvy bule caught with a bit of pot can still pay their way out of trouble for as little as Rp2 million; but, yes, only if they deal quickly with the arresting officer and speak the language/culture and don't cause any offense or appear to be too wealthy. Indonesians nabbed with shabs or weed can still get away with paying Rp1 million and even less. As for Africans caught with drugs, they're usually masters at negotiating with the cops. Except for the ones that get shot for knowing too much and being too greedy.

EDIT: Apart from being illegal, pot is a waste of time and money. Unlike beer.

Edited by kenyeung (20 Aug 07 18:20)

#59278 - 20 Aug 07 17:37 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: naga]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Sorry , I have to retract the statement about not being able to spell - that was flingwing, you two are really quite similar.

Yes , I have $50K available , and no, idiot, I am not forced to stay here because I can't afford to go home - you couldn't be more wrong.

Suggest you post the way exactly that our new friend should get the $50K to the right person while "taking all the invasive Indo media attention on the chin and not implicating anybody else and not mentioning the word corruption" - I mean this guy may have one chance not to get a bullet and you think me telling him straight to stay well clear is "pompous"? well better pompous than fucking dead listening to a jumped up clown like you .Tell me? why didn't Corby buy her way out?

And while we are on the subject my comment about alcohol being quite enough for Indonesia stands -

It would be a different story if someone put dope in front of your kids (though I doubt you have ever managed to breed).

#59305 - 20 Aug 07 21:11 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
I've never heard of anyone turning into a good person once they started taking drugs.

I like the sign at Soekarno Hatta when you get off the plane.

"If you bring drugs to Indonesia, you will get the death penalty"

What really strikes home, is the photos of people executed and the amount they had with them.

Good luck mate.

P.S. if you're dumb enough to try and do this in Indonesia, maybe you deserve to spend 20+ years in penjara.

Edited by yourfather (20 Aug 07 21:12)

#59309 - 20 Aug 07 21:35 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: yourfather]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Not being (any more) horrible (than usual) but my heart did go boom-di-di-boom with a touch of joy when then shot that Indian guy a year or so back. He only brought a pack of Disprin in to Indo.

#59317 - 20 Aug 07 22:22 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Tut Tut Offline
Member+

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Not being (any more) horrible (than usual) but my heart did go boom-di-di-boom with a touch of joy when then shot that Indian guy a year or so back. He only brought a pack of Disprin in to Indo.

You are such a racist pig, Capt. Shame on you.

#59324 - 21 Aug 07 06:29 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Tut Tut]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Tut Tut
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

You are such a racist pig, Capt. Shame on you.

Not racist dear Tut Tut, I don't like people who smuggle drugs - they deserve what is coming to them with any exceptions.

#59375 - 21 Aug 07 14:57 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Ryan Offline

Thanks for that...

Guess I will have to tell the boys at the Bank (investment bank) to send someone else to go and audit all the mines.

Sorry life in Australia is too easy, even though I am asian (and speak a little indo - indo parents). I wouldn't think twice about lighting up in a pub/club here, when caught here (like at a venue) is that security/bar staff ask you for a drag haha.

Plus all this drug enforcement has really affected tourism in Bali. I think about 40% of 16-30 year olds here smoke pot on a semi-regular/regular basis. The stories I have heard about Bali back in the day (5 years+ back).

#59376 - 21 Aug 07 15:07 Re: pot? (marijuana) [Re: Ryan]
Ryan Offline

Either that, or a weekly trip to Darwin/Perth smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  NetCop