Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58951 - 16 Aug 07 09:47 US grants RI freedom
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Be sure and give a big "THANK YOU" (TERIMA KASIH) to the USA this week as we celebrate Indonesian Independence.

Seeing as everyone in this country is obliged to commemorate Indonesia's 1945 proclamation of "independence" on August 17 -- which Sukarno et al were ironically pressured into doing by the defeated Japanese, who had hoped to remain influential here -- it's worth recalling that it was actually the United States of America, led by president Harry Truman, which gave Indonesia its "independence" in December 1949.

The US emerged out of WWII as the strongest -- read: least damaged -- country in terms of military, economic and political potency. Most of the Old Europe colonizers were dependent on US assistance, most notably, the Netherlands.

Indeed, the Dutch depended both "materially and politically"
on American support, so when it came to sorting out the "East Indies problem", the US stepped in to protect its interests and expand on those interests.

Despite the way some people may paint it, the US was not exactly altruistic in its push for Indonesian "sovereignty". (There were, however, a big group of congressmen who argued passionately for Indonesian independence based solely on their own anti-colonial stances - remembering perhaps that the US was in the same situation just 170 years previous.)

Nonetheless, there were vast American interests in Indonesia at the time -- both political and economic. Before the outbreak of World War II, such economic interests had included lucrative oil refineries and rubber plantations. After WWII, there was a big scramble by the US and Soviets to gain influence in resource-rich countries. The US was worried that the communists could gain a foothold in Indonesia, so the US decided to assist Sukarno and his republicans with the ulterior motive that Sukarno would then remain loyal to the US and not the communists.

In mid-1949, singling out the Dutch, US President Harry S. Truman and US Secretary of State Dean G. Acheson further pressured the Europeans to avoid a reactionary approach toward independence movements in their colonies; otherwise "native radicalism" and communists could gain influence, and the control of important colonial economic resources could be jeopardized.

Dutch Foreign Minister Dirk Stikker, who was already under heavy U.S. pressure to liquidate Dutch rule in Indonesia, is portrayed as showing his resentment by insinuating that the Americans wanted the Dutch out so they could capture Indonesian markets. (The Dutch can be very clever at times.)

Facing the threat of losing U.S. economic aid, the Dutch quickly capitulated. As a U.S. diplomat observed, "Money talked." See Robert J. McMahon, Colonialism and Cold War: The United States and the Struggle for Indonesian Independence, 1945-49 (Ithaca. 1981).

The United States extended political support and economic aid to the Indonesian republic in December 1949 -- shortly after full sovereignty was granted to Indonesia at a conference in the Hague. The expectation was that it would help bolster Southeast Asia against the advance of communism. President Truman also granted American diplomatic recognition (the first nation to do so) to the new nationalist regime in Jakarta.

So fly your American flags this week alongside your Merah Putih.

#59003 - 17 Aug 07 11:32 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: riccardo]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Quoting: riccardo
Be sure and give a big "THANK YOU" (TERIMA KASIH) to the USA this week as we celebrate Indonesian Independence.

Sure thank you for USA, and thank you for the support also to Suharto 'The king of corruptor' and Orde baru that bring so much crisis to Indonesia right now. A time when kidnapping journalist politics happend, spreading missdefinition of 'communist'... and is that including poisoning sukarno?

#59012 - 17 Aug 07 12:15 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: emmajkt]
Your Shrink Offline

Loc: Lunatic Asylum
Quoting: emmajkt

Sure thank you for USA, and thank you for the support also to Suharto 'The king of corruptor' and Orde baru that bring so much crisis to Indonesia right now. A time when kidnapping journalist politics happend, spreading missdefinition of 'communist'... and is that including poisoning sukarno?

Ah nice to read it Emma! How can Riccardo live in this country during Soeharto Era supported by US? Cant imagine. Well I know nothing about journalism ethics, but is there ok for a journalist to involved his own emotion (and probably consist of unhappy personal experiences) to his professional work?

#59018 - 17 Aug 07 12:31 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: riccardo]
Your Shrink Offline

Whatever is the reason, this is not common and a very unimportant stuff to be raised. Do Malaysian, Indian etcetera should also fly the British flag during their celebration of independence?

What is beneath this statement and all the previous reasons is what I really interested to know.

#59023 - 17 Aug 07 12:46 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: Your Shrink]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Quoting: Wacko Ward Spv
is there ok for a journalist to involved his own emotion (and probably consist of unhappy personal experiences) to his professional work?

That is what its supposed to be right? to be good Journalist is to tell the world what is the truth for the sake of the emotion, even its a against certain people

#59042 - 17 Aug 07 14:48 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: emmajkt]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This has nothing to do with journalism and I'm not a journalist. So now that we got that out of the way, hopefully it can be seen for what it is: a concise little history of Indonesian independence -- which most Indonesians will rarely, if ever, get to read about. It's also got a couple of irreverent, cheeky comments tossed in for fun.

#59045 - 17 Aug 07 15:04 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: riccardo]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

This has nothing to do with journalism and I'm not a journalist. So now that we got that out of the way, hopefully it can be seen for what it is: a concise little history of Indonesian independence -- which most Indonesians will rarely, if ever, get to read about. It's also got a couple of irreverent, cheeky comments tossed in for fun.

Sure USA is a Super power and can do many things in many country. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, the things they do can be good thing or bad thing.

You can have your own assumption and perception. Doesn't matter, Indonesia have potential to be bigger country, If countries like USA, Holland and Japan stay away from corrupting the potential.

Anyway as i said its only 62 years old.

#59052 - 17 Aug 07 15:18 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: emmajkt]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: emmajkt

...its only 62 years old.

Actually, it's only 57 years and 8 months old.

This has nothing to do with my "assumption and perception", this is actual reality. All these things are documented, historically true events that happened just like I described.

#59054 - 17 Aug 07 15:34 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: riccardo]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

yeah, and i believe there are alot of other things undocumented too...

#59074 - 17 Aug 07 19:50 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: riccardo]
Your Shrink Offline

Thank you for your concise little history but you may did not realize that your irrelevant, cheeky comment was crossing the line, which makes your valuable information ineffective. Expert in communication won't wasting time to do it.

So what is beneath all this cynical statements disparaging Indonesia?

#59097 - 18 Aug 07 10:39 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: Your Shrink]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Always nice to get advice on communication expertise from someone with the name "Wacko" who is broadcasting from the "Lunatic Asylum."

You'll not find anything "disparaging" here about Indonesia, but you will find many of my criticisms are targeted at certain Indonesians (i.e., certain people/institutions, but not the place).

What is "beneath" these statements? Well that's just it, certain Indonesians have a tendency to be extremely suspicious. But there's nothing to worry about. What you see is what you get, nothing more nothing less. It is what it is. Well, that and my Mossad contact who instructs me to write this stuff.

#59108 - 18 Aug 07 13:05 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: riccardo]
Your Shrink Offline

Riccardo:
Always nice to get advice on communication expertise from someone with the name "Wacko" who is broadcasting from the "Lunatic Asylum."

Me:
Aha, again another unprofound reading. I am not a wacko, but a wacko ward supervisor, and lunatic asylum is where I work.

Riccardo:
What is "beneath" these statements? Well that's just it, certain Indonesians have a tendency to be extremely suspicious.

Me:
Again, conclusion about Indonesia, while its nothing about the nationality. Its my habit caused by my job, to questioning "what is beneath", when my patient keep saying a thing again and again, seems like obsessed.

And you keep saying "fly US flag with Indonesian flag", again and again and again. What psychological traumas there might be?

#59121 - 18 Aug 07 14:17 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: Your Shrink]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Remember Riccardo knows about that time in history - he was there after all!
Not only does he have better eyes than a hawk and was a competitor in several Olympic games, let us not forget that he can eat 1/2 a kilo of one of the world's hottest chilli peppers whilst riding a racing bicycle backwards up Mount Semeru - his talent is without equal (at least in South Jakarta anyway )

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (18 Aug 07 14:55)
Edit Reason: written whilst on a dokar in Sragen - correktshuns necessary.

#59126 - 18 Aug 07 14:31 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Captain, your grammer is slipping! I spotted a few error's which need corrected!

Please see me when I have no class!

#59127 - 18 Aug 07 15:01 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

hopefully one of your spankings will be forthcoming?
anyway stop messing about here or else you will get deleted.

#59130 - 18 Aug 07 18:14 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Your Shrink Offline

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Not only does he have better eyes than a hawk and was a competitor in several Olympic games, let us not forget that he can eat 1/2 a kilo of one of the world's hottest chilli peppers whilst riding a racing bicycle backwards up Mount Semeru

Sounds like a wacko whistle

#59133 - 18 Aug 07 18:41 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: Your Shrink]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Well, I'll leave you to that - you do after all look after loonies.
I am told though that he has been known to bound about the place, especially after eating his chilli.

#59139 - 18 Aug 07 19:01 Re: US grants RI freedom [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
As I have been known to do after my Bintang!

Moderator:  NetCop