Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58792 - 15 Aug 07 08:11 Have you ever felt useless!
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I do! Right now!

It was OK when I was waiting on Lab results on a number of tests I had undergone, they were my results, my health, my future.

The results in my case were both good and bad, but, not enough to make me want to stuff my head in an oven.

Waiting for someone else's results are much worse. I could not sleep last night, arose about 3 AM, tried to get back to sleep, no use!

Fucked about until 6, got the bike and cycled around for 30 minutes and felt like shit, showered and find myself sitting around not able to do anything other than wait.

Killing time (will it affect eternity?) is my least favourite pastime (strange word), especially when it's a do or die result one is waiting on!

In my opinion, I feel more useless than I have ever felt, this is outwith my control, nothing I can do can influence the contents of that Lab report which are sitting on a doctors desk until that 11 o'clock appointment comes around and the envelope is opened.

Anyone ever felt the same?

#58794 - 15 Aug 07 08:30 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Frequently - made a few decisions in the last few months that probably weren't for the best, based upon that old cherry, "principles". I have to go with my heart and follow my first instinct though.

Hardly comparable to waiting for test results though.

#58796 - 15 Aug 07 08:39 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: Dilli]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
It is a sad fact of life that from time to time, shit happens and we are powerless to prevent it. The best that can be done is to always look on the bright side of life or death.

#58811 - 15 Aug 07 09:49 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: kenyeung]
Tut Tut Offline
Member+

Loc: Jakarta
I saw my dad walking back and forth when the mob was burning nearby houses in 1998. It wasn't nice waiting to see if they were coming for us or not. I never saw him so helpless before.

I hope the test result is good for your wife, Dilli.

#58819 - 15 Aug 07 10:13 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: Tut Tut]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
I do! Right now!

It was OK when I was waiting on Lab results on a number of tests I had undergone, they were my results, my health, my future.

The results in my case were both good and bad, but, not enough to make me want to stuff my head in an oven.

Waiting for someone else's results are much worse. I could not sleep last night, arose about 3 AM, tried to get back to sleep, no use!

Fucked about until 6, got the bike and cycled around for 30 minutes and felt like shit, showered and find myself sitting around not able to do anything other than wait.

Killing time (will it affect eternity?) is my least favourite pastime (strange word), especially when it's a do or die result one is waiting on!

In my opinion, I feel more useless than I have ever felt, this is outwith my control, nothing I can do can influence the contents of that Lab report which are sitting on a doctors desk until that 11 o'clock appointment comes around and the envelope is opened.

Anyone ever felt the same?

No

#58851 - 15 Aug 07 12:22 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: Dilli]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Quoting: Dilli
ever felt the same?

Yes dilli, everyone have that moment once in a while. But things happend for a reason. Its important to not too hard on yourself.

#58873 - 15 Aug 07 13:36 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: emmajkt]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Results are in. Bad, but not the end off the world!

Doesn't make me feel any better!

#58879 - 15 Aug 07 14:41 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: Dilli]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
eat good food, exercise regularly and stop getting drunk every night, then you'll feel better...

#58880 - 15 Aug 07 14:45 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: naga]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: naga
eat good food, exercise regularly and stop getting drunk every night, then you'll feel better...

won't necessarily make you feel better. would definitely cause you to live longer!

#58882 - 15 Aug 07 14:48 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I do eat good food, I am getting a fair bit off exercise at work and also cycling, I'll ignore the last bit, no fun!

#58885 - 15 Aug 07 15:44 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: naga]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: naga

Cobblers -

If you drink every day the one thing guaranteed is that you will end up feeling better as the day passes .

#58887 - 15 Aug 07 15:54 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

you sound like my uncle Norman ... of course he likes to kick off the day with a bottle of vodka.

#58889 - 15 Aug 07 16:02 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: chewwyUK]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Not that bad Chewwy , I've worked with too many blokes who look for the answer in the bottom of a bottle - It isn't there, I know, I spent a long time looking too. I've been good friends with Ron Barcardi and Pierre Smirnoff from time to time .

As I type this I'm looking at a nice girl (H-M) buying herself a skimpy pair of shreddies and I am just considering offering my opinion as the suitability of the said trollies - much nore enjoyable than geting hammered pagi-siang-malam.

#58893 - 15 Aug 07 16:11 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Prefer late Siang-early Malam myself. Pagi-Sore would not work for me.

#58910 - 15 Aug 07 19:51 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: Dilli]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
you know...

all of you old skool guys write in code.

You might want to keep some things to yourself.

But I can't offer advice if I have no idea what we are talking about apart from Yes/No.

And up until now, yeah I have felt useless. Mainly when flying on a Batavia plane.

I feel like we're going to crash, and there aint shit I can do about it. in fact, its not just Batavia, its any airline.

#58912 - 15 Aug 07 19:55 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: yourfather]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: yourfather
all of you old skool guys write in code.

do tell more ... what do you feel is "code"? maybe the "old" jakchatters are so deeply embedded in their discourse that they can't even see this code ...

#58913 - 15 Aug 07 20:02 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
yourfather Offline
Member+

To be a bit of a dictionary nerd:

Code:

a. the system of rules shared by the participants in an act of communication, making possible the transmission and interpretation of messages.
b. (in sociolinguistic theory) one of two distinct styles of language use that differ in degree of explicitness and are sometimes thought to be correlated with differences in social class.

OK, so if you compare the language that you guys use, as all having prior knowledge of each other. As having understanding on what is going on.

It's the equivalent of going to a meeting at the office and having everyone in the meeting discussing some form of project that you've got no idea about.

That's why it appears like code.

We understand what you are saying, but we don't understand what you are really meaning. Because we can't pick context from what you are referring to. Sure, we can answer yes no, that we've been in a situation where we are helpless, but we can't understand the gravity of the situation.

#58915 - 15 Aug 07 20:10 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: Dilli]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Quoting: Dilli
Results are in. Bad, but not the end off the world!

Doesn't make me feel any better!

Its a bit late but just take it as one of the things that will strengthen us now or in the future. Its the best way to prevent the bad energy to enter us and makes us feel down.
And to answer your question, yes, been in the situation many2 times.

#58916 - 15 Aug 07 20:18 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: yourfather]
Pooh Bah

We understand what you are saying, but we don't understand what you are really meaning. Because we can't pick context from what you are referring to. Sure, we can answer yes no, that we've been in a situation where we are helpless, but we can't understand the gravity of the situation.

what you are describing is not so much code, as discourse:

#58917 - 15 Aug 07 20:25 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Look, as much as I don't like wikipedia. you will notice that in your post (which is a good point)

Each discourse community has its own unwritten rules about what can be said and how it can be said"- that sounds like code to me.

I'm not attempting to be argumentative.

But I feel that this is more a conversational form of communication.

#58920 - 15 Aug 07 20:46 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: yourfather]
Pooh Bah

I'm not attempting to be argumentative.

why the fucking hell not?! everybody else is!!

But I feel that this is more a conversational form of communication.

discourse is discourse, no matter what the form.

JakChat started up nearly 2 years ago. since that time, a community has been built up. this community has had numerous debates, arguments, discussions, shouting matches, death threats, jokes, commentary, and chit chat over that period. an entire body of "knowledge" has been collectively acquired. "conversations" from more than a year ago sometimes interject into present discussion, and that "conversation" is further extended. this is discourse.

the problem, clearly, is that any "new" person coming into this grand conversation, or reading interjected back-references to previous conversations, can feel excluded. this is not deliberate; it's just you've come into the party after it's already been raging for some time, and you have some catching up to do!

this means, unfortunately, that new members into the JakChat discourse need to be particularly determined to insinuate themselves into these discourses. this requires time, and too often newcomers give up too soon.

#58922 - 15 Aug 07 21:03 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
yourfather Offline
Member+

yeah but, discourse is a very formal way to describe something.

it's a word that I've only ever used in academia.

wasn't expecting to hear a diatribe about my point of view and selection of words.

#58923 - 15 Aug 07 21:07 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: yourfather]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
yf, maybe that's because all kuku's wives are busy today, as a result, he has too much time on his hands.

#58924 - 15 Aug 07 21:11 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: yourfather]
Pooh Bah

yeah but, discourse is a very formal way to describe something.

for me, there is nothing else but discourse. in the end, there is no religion, no philosophy, no rules, no government, no nothing; only eternal discourse about these things ...

Quote:
it's a word that I've only ever used in academia.

so let's set it free!! smile

#58925 - 15 Aug 07 21:54 Re: Have you ever felt useless! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

To get back to the thread!

The tumour that was removed from my wife's womb was benign, however, she as a result off all the probing around she has unfortunately been diagnosed as having Cancer.

A cancerous growth was found, identified, measured and after the biopsy results it was discovered, thankfully in its very early stages.

It can be treated with drugs, but, when combined with her high blood pressure they have to choose the cocktails carefully.

They have chosen that the best treatment is non agressive with a check up in 4 months to re-evaluate.

Maybe we need a Personal Health Section on the site, I know it took me ages until I found a website that clearly detailed all of the information I wanted to know about!

Ladies, I urge you, Pap smears as often as possible, this thing is a silent killer!

Edited by Dilli (16 Aug 07 05:11)
Edit Reason: Clarity

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop