Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58468 - 12 Aug 07 12:25 The way to control
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Domination of the press has long been seen as particularly important in controlling society. It is exercised in many ways in most countries, and for this discussion -- Indonesia. Punishment can include outright banning, although that rarely happens these days. It can also include physical violence, usually utilizing proxy rent-a-mobs or Islamic groups if anything could be construed as offensive to their ideology. In recent years, there have been government leaders attacking the press in the courts.

Editors - even the good-hearted, well-meaning ones - are forced to curb their desire to be solid members of the 4th Estate. Despite the fact that most publications are owned by functionally secular NKRI nationalists, any critical discussion of Islam or terrorism, let alone mocking, is quelled. This speaks to two factors:
1. hypersensitivity on the part of Muslims throughout the world 2. fear of violent reprisal due to their hypersensitivity

Often, control of the press may involve a simple telephone call requesting editors not to print certain articles or report on certain events, with the veiled threat of having the publication’s licenses revoked or subscriptions canceled. Another is the "press briefing", where the press is given the "facts" of certain events. Real fear (for life, health and wealth) and self-censorship are the results.

Largess may also be prominent: an air-conditioned office for the Indonesian Journalists Association; soft and/or long-term, low-interest loans; cash favors or "envelopes"; substantial numbers of government subscriptions; free airline tickets for pilgrimages to Mecca; or dinners for senior editors with ministers and top military brass.

In sum, the press in Indonesia undergoes periodic liberalization -- usually followed by re-imposed restrictions. In the liberalized periods, the press has been surprisingly and remarkably free. It has tended to push the limits and a clampdown inevitably follows when taboo topics are discussed.

The military/OrBa's success in entrenching itself in the state, and its position above society, have shaped the contours of the relationships that constituted the New Order and still have the most influence over society, including the press, religious leaders, education system, the civil servants (teachers particularly), all of which helps to indoctrinate citizens.

The dominance by the army men has given poorly educated soldiers the opportunity to become decision-makers, "legislators" in local assemblies and the national legislature, political managers and "politicians" in Golkar, and important administrators and policy formulators, as well as business managers. The military exercises a wide array of control over local officials and civil society and religious organizations, particularly throughout rural society -- despite the reforms since 1998. Most are semi-incognito retired army men.

As ex-VP Adam Malik once explained, a "good citizen’s" life must consist of the "four D’s" (in Bahasa Indonesia): come to work or school (datang), sit down (duduk), be quiet (diam) and collect your reward (dapat Duit). This most definitely includes editors and journalists and activists regardless of whether they work for a private, non-government company.

#58473 - 12 Aug 07 12:41 Re: The way to control [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: riccardo
any critical discussion of Islam or terrorism, let alone mocking, is quelled

The Rakyat Merdeka daily's online edition reprinted some of the Danish Muhammad cartoons. Editor was charged with insulting Islam but the case was thrown out of court.

control of the press may involve a simple telephone call requesting editors not to print certain articles or report on certain events, with the veiled threat of having the publication’s licenses revoked

In the Suharto/Harmoko era yes. But no longer - the SIUPP can't be revoked.

A key problem remains whether toe-rags like Tomy Winata still use force and crooked district court judges to oppose freedom.

Edited by kenyeung (12 Aug 07 12:47)

#58475 - 12 Aug 07 12:50 Re: The way to control [Re: kenyeung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

RM's editor got put through the wringers and had death threats to him and his family! Regardless of whether the "court" exonerated him, he got the message.

The SIUPP is a piece of paper. Papers get lost and thrown in the trash or burned when the powers-that-be feel that particular piece of paper no longer serves their interests. It all goes in phases of liberalization and clampdowns. When the next clampdown comes, the SIUPP will have a meeting with the paper shredder. (More likely they'll "amend" it all proper like with the DPR's stamp of approval).

#58634 - 13 Aug 07 14:40 Re: The way to control [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This bizarre article was in today's THE POINT on p.2 and really smells trippppppy!! This really has all that OrBa speak in it and one wonders if something else is afoot here. Surely, The Point didn't just send some reporter down to this island to see a big military presence and write the news story... It sounds like this was initiated by the TNI -- maybe in a phone call like this:

TNI press officer: Hello, Hello, Hello is this the editor of the Point.
TP: Hello, Hello, Hello? Oh, yes this is.
TNI p.o.: We have some news that you must put on page 2 tomorrow.
TP: Hello, hello... okay, we'll send a boy with a tape recorder to your office.
TNI p.o.: Hello?... okay thanks, goodbye.

TNI tightens control of foreign NGO on Lundu Island

JAKARTA, The Point
The Indonesian Military (TNI) may not be able to chase away a foreign NGO active on Lundu Island, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) province but it can tighten its control and monitoring of it.

If as a result of this control and monitoring the NGO is discovered to have engaged itself in activities endangering the country, then TNI would not hesitate to tell it to leave Indonesian soil, said TNI Air Marshal Sagom Tamboen in Jakarta over the weekend.

He also said the way he understood it, the foreign NGO conducted activities on Lundu Island in cooperation with an Indonesian NGO.

According to Tamboen, so far TNI had not seen anything leading it to suspect that the organization had violated laws or regulations. “We will be careful in making a decision with regard to its presence, even if the local people see their programs as something beneficial,” Tamboen said.

On worries that foreign countries would try to use the NGO as a vehicle to conduct “certain activities” on Indonesian soil, he said, “If we obtain any evidence of course we will do something.”

TNI, he went on to say, has always seen NTT as an important area in which to safeguard the unity of the Republic of Indonesia.

#58635 - 13 Aug 07 14:54 Re: The way to control [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

So let's have a look what this Page 2 news story tells us (and does not) about the "foreign NGO".
1. They're foreign, but readers aren't told which nationality.
2. It's cooperating with an Indonesian NGO.
3. The local people see their presence as beneficial.
4. The TNI have been monitoring and have not found "any evidence" to suggest they're involved in "certain activities."
5. Readers have no idea of the name, the activities it's engaged in or from which country it is from.
6. Readers have no idea what led them to suspect this NGO of anything that may "endanger Indonesia."

oooookaayy.

AND because of all those things about this NGO, the TNI is:
1. Tightening control on the NGO
2. Monitoring it very closely
3. Looking for activities that "endanger the country".
4. If anything is found, the TNI will kick them off "Indonesian soil."
5. There are apparently "worries" about "certain activities."

#58639 - 13 Aug 07 15:23 Re: The way to control [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
This from Tempo a few days ago. I thought to paste it here, but thought it was just the usual OrBa idiocy.

Illegal: Foreign NGO Activity in East Nusa Tenggara
Friday, 10 August, 2007 | 16:24 WIB

Tempo Interactive, Kupang: The Head of the Regional Development Planning Agency Head for East Nusa Tenggara, Jamin Habib, confirmed that the activity of a foreign non-governmental organization (NGO) in Landu Island was illegal.

According to Jamin, the Australian NGO's name was BACF. “The organization is not listed in our database,” he said yesterday (9/8). In order to monitor it closer, the Indonesian Military (TNI) Navy Main Base of VII Region, Kupang, has deployed an Indonesian ship (KRI) Arun with tens of personnel.

The head of the Information Service of VII Region Kupang Navy Main Base, Major Ali, said that his side will take constitutional measures if it is found that the foreign NGO's presence is not in line with legal procedures in Indonesia. “We've pocketed the names of foreigners who were performing activities in the region. If they are proven (illegal), they can be deported to their country of origin,” he said.

Karel Yani Mbuik, a member of East Nusa Tenggara Regional Legislative Council (DPRD), suspected that the Australian NGO's activity is related to the plan of oil and gas exploration in Rote I and Rote II oil fields.
Landu Island is located only more or less three miles from the oil fields.

Landu Island waters are in fact bordered with Ashmore Reef, North Australian maritime area. “It is impossible for foreigners to conduct activities in such a remote island if there're no certain aims,” he said.

JEMS DE FORTUNA

#58669 - 13 Aug 07 19:01 Re: The way to control [Re: KuKuKaChu]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
the only thing I can find about BACF is a whacko christian church that has only got caches of its website on google and

Business Australia Corporate Finance which is a money lending development organisation.

There have been BACF's on the stock exchange. But if i'm investigating a business, im better off doing it at work because I have better resources :P

#58673 - 13 Aug 07 19:27 Re: The way to control [Re: yourfather]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Haven't you learned anything from me? BACF = The Baa Atoll Conservation Fund. It was first active on Baa Atoll near Rote Island in 2003. It is conducting a project on Landu to make drinking water by reverse osmosis. Also doing an electricity project there.

Is this all just a (not very) covert cover for a sinister intelligence operation? I'm sure you can find out if you would only bother to ask.

#58676 - 13 Aug 07 20:09 Re: The way to control [Re: kenyeung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: kenyeung
Haven't you learned anything from me? BACF = The Baa Atoll Conservation Fund. It was first active on Baa Atoll near Rote Island in 2003. It is conducting a project on Landu to make drinking water by reverse osmosis. Also doing an electricity project there.

Is this all just a (not very) covert cover for a sinister intelligence operation? I'm sure you can find out if you would only bother to ask.

Well, well well, now then! Drinking water? Electricity? This would DEFINITELY qualify as "endangering the unitary state".

Execute them all at dawn and any villagers who approved of it shall be raped and tortured to teach others a lesson.

#58688 - 14 Aug 07 05:53 Re: The way to control [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Karel Yani Mbuik, a member of East Nusa Tenggara Regional Legislative Council (DPRD), suspected that the Australian NGO's activity is related to the plan of oil and gas exploration in Rote I and Rote II oil fields.

Landu Island is located only more or less three miles from the oil fields.

Ah, Oil & Gas again....

#59241 - 20 Aug 07 11:18 Re: The way to control [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The SIUPP is a piece of paper. Papers get lost and thrown in the trash or burned when the powers-that-be feel that particular piece of paper no longer serves their interests. It all goes in phases of liberalization and clampdowns. When the next clampdown comes, the SIUPP will have a meeting with the paper shredder. (More likely they'll "amend" it all proper like with the DPR's stamp of approval).

The ups and downs of the media: liberal times, clampdown times... and the beat goes on.

-----------------------------------------------------------

South China Morning Post
Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fabio Scarpello in Denpasar

Indonesian journalists have attacked proposed legislation that would allow reporters to be jailed or fined as likely to harm press freedom.

Lawmakers are debating a draft bill on general elections but the Indonesian Association of Journalists (AJI) said the country already had a press law as well as a press council to solve journalism-related disputes.

"We certainly don't need a law that threatens to send journalists to jail," said Eko Maryadi, the co-ordinator of AJI Jakarta.

Article 260 of the bill says that an "editor-in-chief who violates a ban on reporting on campaigns during a cool-off period will be sentenced to between three and six months in jail and fined between 1 million and 5 million rupiah [HK830 to HK4,130]".

Indonesian journalists can be jailed for defamation, an offence local courts deal with under the criminal code rather than the press law.

The press law, passed by decree in 1999, is due for revision and some of its new provisions would limit journalists when covering religious and other sensitive issues.

In a copy of the press law revision draft that Tempo magazine obtained, Article 4 reportedly includes a point that emphasises "censoring, banning or stopping programmes will be applied against media that contain news, pictures or advertisements which weaken religion's esteem, disrupt the harmony of devotees' living or endanger the defence and security system".

Information minister Muhammad Noeh said the government was committed to protecting press freedom and was not involved in revision of the press law, which he said "is up to the media community".

The Indonesian media gained much freedom after the fall of the Suharto regime in 1998. It has grown into one of the most vibrant media environments in the region, and it enjoys one of the most liberal press laws in Asia.

The recent drive to regulate the industry follows accusations, including those from the industry itself, that the press has gone overboard.

Kompas newspaper senior editor Nugroho Yudho recently noted that not all of the 600 media organisations have permits.

"Without government intervention in media organisations, the news published is sometimes not based on facts, resulting in people questioning the credibility of newspapers," he said.

Moderator:  NetCop