Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58276 - 10 Aug 07 08:40 Malaysia strife
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Malaysia: Student comes under fire for anthem parody

Kuala Lumpur, 9 August (AKI) - A Malaysian student has come under fire for posting a video which shows a rap version of the Malaysian national anthem on the internet website YouTube. Wee Meng Chee, 24, has been criticised by local politicians for his six-minute video and could face a three year prison term or a 1,500-dollar fine or both, under Malaysia's sedition act for his version of the national anthem, Negaraku.

In his version, Wee, who used the name 'Namewee', criticises the government, attacks corruption within the police and talks about the difficulties faced by non-Muslim minorities in Malaysia.

The video has received about 500,000 hits on YouTube since it was posted in mid-July. Copies have also been produced.

According to a report in the local daily, the Malaysian Star, various politicians have accused Wee of insulting the national anthem and the deputy internal security minister Datuk Mohd Johari Baharum has called on the police to investigate the video.

On his blog, Wee said that he did not mean to be seditious or attack the government and that he had removed the video after receiving the negative reaction.

"I'm simply reflecting the truth about our society through my music and I did not mean to offend anyone by producing such a video clip. I still love my country," he was quoted as saying in the Malaysian Star.

However Wee may be saved by the fact that his is currently studying abroad at the Ming Chuan University in Taiwan.

The deputy inspector-general of police, Tan Sri Mohd Najib Abdul Aziz, told reporters that the police had no authority to investigate or detain individuals involved in broadcasting Wee's version of the national anthem as it took place outside Malaysia.

#58378 - 10 Aug 07 22:22 Re: Malaysia strife [Re: riccardo]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
malays really are hyper-sensitive people

they really dont like people telling them the truth.

Edited by yourfather (10 Aug 07 22:22)

#58383 - 11 Aug 07 07:38 Re: Malaysia strife [Re: yourfather]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
malaysia is a sick country that refuses to confront its problems. it's in fact three parallel societies that largely stick to themselves. and yes, as a group, malaysian malays are super sensitive.

#58404 - 11 Aug 07 13:39 Re: Malaysia strife [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Don't get me started.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop