Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58163 - 09 Aug 07 06:02 Earthquake
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Fauzi Bowo elected Jakarta governor. Then the strongest earthquake (7.5 magnitude) in several years hits Jakarta a couple of minutes after midnight. Superstitious people might see it as a bad omen of things to come. But no reports of any buildings being damaged, just shaken. At least it didn't happen during regular office hours, so people weren't rushing to lifts or stampeding down stairwells.

Update: Apparently the only damage recorded at the time of the quake was someone giving Pavlov's dog a kicking, although the dog then nipped back.

Edited by kenyeung (09 Aug 07 08:44)
Edit Reason: updating with detikcom info

#58164 - 09 Aug 07 07:37 Re: Earthquake [Re: kenyeung]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
7.5?! why didn't buildings fall over? or perhaps the epicentre was far from jakarta. i was probably fucking at that time, so would not notice earth movements below 9.5.

#58165 - 09 Aug 07 07:53 Re: Earthquake [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Yes, apparently occurred about 100 kilometers northeast of Jakarta and too deep to cause tsunami or big damage.

US Geological Survey/National Earthquake Information Center says:
Magnitude: 7.5
Date-Time:
Wednesday, August 8, 2007 at 17:04:58 (UTC) = Coordinated Universal Time.
Thursday, August 9, 2007 at 12:04:58 AM = local time at epicenter Time of Earthquake.
Depth: 289.2 km (179.7 miles)
Region: JAVA, INDONESIA
Distances:
100 km (65 miles) E of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia
110 km (70 miles) N of Bandung, Java, Indonesia
135 km (80 miles) NW of Cirebon, Java, Indonesia
140 km (85 miles) NE of Sukabumi, Java, Indonesia
KuKu's Shagging Power: 2.1 on Modified Mercalli Scale

#58168 - 09 Aug 07 08:01 Re: Earthquake [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Did the earth move for you darling?

#58170 - 09 Aug 07 08:10 Re: Earthquake [Re: Dilli]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Kuku, I'm surprised you didn't feel it, as it was even reported on detikcom. And I'm not talking about the earthquake.

#58171 - 09 Aug 07 08:20 Re: Earthquake [Re: kenyeung]
Pooh Bah

no ken, it wasn't me being raped at 12 last night. it was me doing the raping. wife#3 called this morning from her house in bekasi to tell me about the earth movements at that time. all i could say was, "i know, i know". i really need to be more discreet.

#58172 - 09 Aug 07 08:23 Re: Earthquake [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Perhaps there was no earthquake, as it is yet to be mentioned on BMG's super-speedy site as of 8am this morning:

Edited by kenyeung (09 Aug 07 08:28)

#58174 - 09 Aug 07 08:33 Re: Earthquake [Re: kenyeung]
Pooh Bah

BMG has the highest concentration of morons ever mustered by the indonesian bureaucracy. their idiocy is legendary!

#58176 - 09 Aug 07 08:47 Re: Earthquake [Re: kenyeung]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I am not ashamed to admit that I almost shat myself during the earthquake last night. I live in an apartment on the 21st floor and believe you me there was a lot of rocking and swaying!

As I heard the building creak and groan I could hear this little voice in my head say "Don't worry, it's only an earthquake. You have been in 2 earth quakes in Tokyo and nothing happened".

Then a louder voice started up "Yes but the Japanese are experts in building earthquake proof buildings. This is Indonesia and the building contractors probably used cheaper materials to save a few bob and you are about to die a horrible death because of somebodies greed and lack of safety standards"

This morning I thank my lucky stars that I am moving to a house this weekend. As being up high in an earthquake is not something i want to do again soon.

#58178 - 09 Aug 07 08:50 Re: Earthquake [Re: chewwyUK]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Anyone live in Taman Rasuna Apartments? They must have shaken something awful. Not to mention my old 3rd floor hovel in Gadja Mada.

Edited by kenyeung (09 Aug 07 08:52)

#58195 - 09 Aug 07 10:52 Re: Earthquake [Re: kenyeung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
DJ and I were in Romance Pub deeply embroiled in a discussion on Athletics (track and field) competitions in the 1960s and the time he saw Bullet Bob Hayes nearly break the World Record in London. At one point, I looked up and noticed the bar was empty except for 1 staff boy. I asked him if it was closing and he half-chuckled and pointed at the swinging lamps over the bar and said "gempa". We looked around and noticed that people had gone out into the street, so we promptly resumed our reminiscence about Bullet Bob and ordered more beer.

Moderator:  NetCop