Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57818 - 02 Aug 07 19:41 need home-made fast food.
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Guys, if you have a quick, tasty & easy trick for a meal, please share it with me..

I'll start with sharing mine (I hate packaged sauces, but this one is delicious!)

1 packet of Japanese Golden Curry (by S&B Food Inc, you can find this in asian groceries/woolworths)
500g of any beef - (osso buco's nice,..cut into chunky cubes)
2 large Carrots & Potatoes (plus 1 onion if you're dilligent enough, cut into chunky cubes)
500ml water

Prep:
Boil meat till it's half tender. Chuck carrots & potatoes in. Wait for about 5 mins, before you put in the sauce & stir until everything's properly cooked. A nice quick winter meal.

#57819 - 02 Aug 07 19:50 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
sounds good ... i'm can see chewwy scurrying to write it all down in his recipe book now.

if only we had such exotic things as Japanese Golden Curry.

#57820 - 02 Aug 07 20:04 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Get half a dozen slices of cooked roast beef - cut into strips .

Add a glug of kecap asin to a saucepan - just enough to allow the beef to be boiled for a moment , then add a dollop of kecap manis.

Boil and reduce the kecap with the beef until the beef takes on a nice dark colour - set aside and allow to drain and cool .

Meanwhile stir fry in a very hot pan one roughly chopped onion and a graan pepper , don't move them too much , let them stay crispy but with a bit of caramelization on them - put in a warm place and add a little more oil to the pan - quick fry the beef until it becomes a little crispy then throw away this oil , add a coursly chopped red chilli - a large mild one , and a good tablesppon of sambal oelek with a little clean oil and cook the sambal , return the onion and pepper and give the whole lot a good stir fry for 1 minute or so (until the sambal has cooked) -
Serve with rice - instant dendeng and very good it is .
You can also use a little sambal terasi with the sambal oelek -

Attachments
2446-IMG_1436.JPG

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (02 Aug 07 20:09)

#57821 - 02 Aug 07 20:05 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
sounds good ... i'm can see chewwy scurrying to write it all down in his recipe book now.

Apparently they should sell it in big supermarkets around jkt..

#57822 - 02 Aug 07 20:11 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

capt, i think i can do that.. sounds enak (with kecap manis!) ..

but do i need to put salt/pepper ? ( or not at all since the meat's boiled in soy sauce?). hold on, is the meat's boiled in soy sauce?? do i need water??

#57823 - 02 Aug 07 20:11 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Chocolatea
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

Apparently they should sell it in big supermarkets around jkt..

i'll check it out on saturday. i'll be at carrefore waiting for chewwy to make a spectacle of himself again ...

#57825 - 02 Aug 07 20:36 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
You can find it in the korean section - wants about half a dozen chillies slung in it otherwise it is much too mild but to be honest a curry is the easiest thing to cook without using packets of spicy wall paper paste.

#57829 - 02 Aug 07 22:07 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Jalan Keselamatan Meat Lovers Delight

Ingredients

Method

Serving Suggestion

#57832 - 03 Aug 07 07:07 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: kenyeung]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Are you suggesting that mie bakso's made using dog food?

or mie bakso contains dog's balls?

#57838 - 03 Aug 07 10:29 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
My fav: with left-over roast chix I make ayam kecap, cut up onion and mince garlic, stir fry these with olive oil for about 5 min and toss your roast chix (pieces) and kecap manis (sweet soy sauce).

Another fav: make chicken salad from roast chix: celery, mayo, mustard, red onion finely chop. You can use the chix salad for your sandwich for lunch (great office lunch).

Or from left-over roast chix, make chicken dumpling. Great winter supper! totally comforting.

#57839 - 03 Aug 07 10:38 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: doremi]
Pooh Bah

i'm still waiting for chewwy's recipe for avocado and chicken soup.

#57840 - 03 Aug 07 10:39 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Take one avacado, peel & slice. Put to side!

Open one can of chicken soup, heat, add avacado, serve!

#57841 - 03 Aug 07 10:59 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Dilli]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Avocado is great by itself, squeeze lemon juice and salt and pepper OR make guacamole: avocado,onion, lime juice, cilantro- mash these ingredients and serve with pita bread.

#57855 - 03 Aug 07 11:39 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Are you suggesting that mie bakso's made using dog food?

or mie bakso contains dog's balls?

Not dog-meat. I quit dining on kerbside bakso after being informed that some superstitious tukang bakso put their celana dalam into the pot while cooking the meatballs because they believe this will bring them good luck. That and the studies that showed rat-meat and cockroach penises were being used to make bakso.

#57859 - 03 Aug 07 13:40 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: doremi]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Quoting: doremi
My fav: with left-over roast chix I make ayam kecap, cut up onion and mince garlic, stir fry these with olive oil for about 5 min and toss your roast chix (pieces) and kecap manis (sweet soy sauce).

Another fav: make chicken salad from roast chix: celery, mayo, mustard, red onion finely chop. You can use the chix salad for your sandwich for lunch (great office lunch).

Or from left-over roast chix, make chicken dumpling. Great winter supper! totally comforting.

mustard as in the little seeds or the sauce? (drooling) do you think it'll be nice if i add crutons in the salad? ty btw

#57860 - 03 Aug 07 13:43 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: kenyeung]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Quoting: kenyeung

Not dog-meat. I quit dining on kerbside bakso after being informed that some superstitious tukang bakso put their celana dalam into the pot while cooking the meatballs because they believe this will bring them good luck. That and the studies that showed rat-meat and cockroach penises were being used to make bakso.

Cockroach penisses meatball? sounds like a delicacy.. maybe that's the secret ingredient!! and maybe that's why home-made bakso can never beat the taste of bakso tukang

#57882 - 04 Aug 07 14:17 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Ribs
Salt & Pepper
BBQ sauce

(Can't be simpler than this), sprinkle s&p on ribs, wait a while, coat it with BBQ sauce & put it in the oven. That's it.

#57883 - 04 Aug 07 14:20 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
Pooh Bah

Ribs
Salt & Pepper
BBQ sauce

(Can't be simpler than this), sprinkle s&p on ribs, wait a while, coat it with BBQ sauce & put it in the oven. That's it.

HA! only simple if you can buy ribs! at a reasonable price, of course!

#57884 - 04 Aug 07 14:21 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

thought you can find any sort of ribs easily (and cheaply) in indo.. even frogs!

#57889 - 04 Aug 07 18:35 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

You're a frog!

#57899 - 05 Aug 07 06:58 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: kenyeung]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

shuddup or i'll stuff my foot in your mouth! (or leg..)

#57900 - 05 Aug 07 06:59 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
On the subject of foot and mouth I see some of your friends are being burned again in the UK

#57902 - 05 Aug 07 07:01 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Dilli]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

i know.. what a shame, they shouldn't waste food like that, i can eat a beef jerky or 2..

#57916 - 05 Aug 07 12:23 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: Choc_Cow]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Quoting: doremi

mustard as in the little seeds or the sauce? (drooling) do you think it'll be nice if i add crutons in the salad? ty btw

Grey poupon is what I use for mustard, any brand will do, btw, croutons in salad YUMMM

#57969 - 06 Aug 07 19:19 Re: need home-made fast food. [Re: doremi]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Here's one I just did in 5 minutes and it was great.

The wife went malling and brought home some KFC.
I'll call it chicken fajitas a la KFC

--So I took a couple pieces of KFC chicken and shredded off all the meat/skin.

--warmed up a couple of flour tortillas (already in the fridge, from ranch market)

--shredded some monterey jack cheese (also ranch market)

--had some homemade mexican salsa on hand (see recipe below***) Or just use some local sambal segar or tabasco if you can't be bothered to make the salsa below.

Once the tortillas are warm/hot, place the chicken, cheese and salsa in a line down the middle, roll 'em up, open a can of beer and enjoy.

-----------------------------------------

***salsa recipe. I make this about once a week so there's always some in the fridge.

- 1/2 kg of indon habanero chilies (fat puffy orange and red ones) cleaned and with stems chopped off.
- 1 stalk of cilantro (a.k.a., wan sui, daun ketumbar, fresh coriander)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 large ripe, red tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper (a.k.a., capsicum)
- salt to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon or 1 lime or 2 jeruk nipis, (just slice and squeeze into blender.)

Boil the tomatoes, bell pepper and chilies in salted water for about 10 minutes...

Toss everything else in the blender with a 1/4 cup of water and blend well.

Take the tomatoes, bell pepper and chilies and strain the water, then toss into blender (with other stuff still in) and press the "pulse" button several times until the salsa is chunky.
Makes about 1 liter.

Put into tupperware container and in the fridge for use all week (it actually tastes better after a few days) on sandwiches, with chips/crisps, with quesadillas, with burritos, on nasi goreng, on bacon&eggs, in soups, in pasta sauce etc, etc...

keep in mind that you can play around with it to your taste. More chilies or less, more tomatoes or less etc... Generally, you'll need the cilantro, tomatoes, chilies and garlic for it to be called "mexican salsa".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop