Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57785 - 02 Aug 07 09:25 here is one that i liked
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Taken from the Bugils new letter ....

I was in the new bar in Pondok Indah named ‘De HOOI’ and tried to figure out Carlsbergs’ business sense to sponsor only 2 barrels of beer for the openings night. For the first time ever I had a Carlsberg beer tap installed in one of my bars. I indicated that I would seriously consider using Carlsberg draught for the other four bars, but it all depended on their support. ‘Maaf, Mister Bart. Two barrels is the best we can do for your free flow night…’, they explained. I couldn’t believe it. This was almost an insult. It's time to start my own beer brand, I thought. I contacted Storm Beer Bali and they were very enthusiastic about the idea of a BuGils Brew, but more about in a later newsletter.

The man that walked in was a regular in the One Tree and EP, and never talked a lot. I could hardly understand his heavily Scottish accent anyway. Always quietly with his hands crossed in front of him at the bar. And always drinking bottles of Carlsberg. While I was in deep thoughts about what kind of beer the BuGils Brew should be, he suddenly walked up to me. He carefully moved my glass beer aside and then pressed his finger angrily at the bar in front of me. ‘Your Carlsberg is too expensive. You should do something about it…!’. He then slowly went back to his bar chair and back into his favorite position. From this few meters distance, he sneered again at me: ‘Really, it’s too expensive’. For a moment I wanted to explain him about the unreasonable Carlsberg support policy, but he probably would not find it interesting anyway.

I ran into him again, now in the Eastern Promise. He was sitting at the bar, looking even grumpier then before. And again he pointed out that he was not happy with the price of a bottle of Carlsberg, this time expressing his anger by slamming his fist on the bar. ’Your (bang!) Carlsberg (bang!) is (bang!) too (bang!) expensive!’ He nevertheless kept on ordering. I said to myself, if he complains one more time, I am out of here. THEN I am gone… To Bali or wherever. And for some reason I was hoping he would complain again, but he didn’t. He was just sitting there with an irritated expression on his face, staring at his 9th or 10th green bottle of that night. ‘It’s only a 1000 rupiah difference with other bars! Whats your point!?’ I almost shouted at him, hoping for his repeat confirmation that we were overcharging. But he didn’t respond. He did not even look at me. Other customers looked innocently the other way.

It was all adding up to the problems I had. I was in a row with government departments, fighting new levees for new licenses. With a landlord who suddenly wanted to increase the rent by 50%. On top of that I was (am) still a suspect in the ridiculous BuGils logo copyright case, spewed over me by a jobless New Zealander who liked to come to BuGils before without ever paying his bills (another story to be published!). Could a temporary stay in Bali make a difference? It certainly would be good for my daughter, who so far only saw traffic jams and shopping malls in the first 4 years of her life. I took her to Friesland twice, to the farm of my parents and she thought that the fresh air of Friesland smelled funny and she held her hand for her nose most of the time. Now that’s what I call scary.

I called it a day. It was a stress full day after difficult dealing with a beer company and a landlord, a few hours at a police station, and too many staff who didn’t show up because another handful of grandmothers had died. The show would go on anyway, with or without me. I quietly sneaked out of EP, driving home through late night Kemang.

The traffic lights at the McDonalds crossover into Kemang still didn’t work. Already for weeks they did not work, adding to the daily traffic chaos in the area. At night it is a dark and dangerous corner.

So I could hardly be blamed when I almost crashed into this person, right on the corner where I had to turn to Kemang Utara. He was just standing there motionless and did not move an inch, while I went full on the brakes. I recognized him immediately. The irritated Carlsberg drinker. I turned down the window and wanted to warn him. It was easy to figure out that he was drunk. He slowly turned his head in my direction and looked at me with gloomy eyes. And it was just now that I noticed that his pants where down. He was totally drunk and taking a pee at one of the busiest crossings of Jakarta! A car behind me claxoned, urging me to move on, probably thinking I was busy picking up a banci from the street. Just before I want to hit the gas he mumbled angrily in my direction, while struggling to lift his pants: ‘He…Listen you bloody Dutchman…. Your Carlsberg.… Do something… It is too expensive….’. I smiled, I think I even thanked him, while pushing the gears. I had my reason to leave.

The next day I increased the price of Carlsberg with another 1000 rupiah for no obvious reasons. The staff wondered why I made that single and unexplainable decision, but I did not answer any questions. A few hours later I landed in Bali.

#57786 - 02 Aug 07 09:42 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: chewwyUK]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
And he still won't get rich selling beer - take the cost of chillers etc and he will just about clear wages - all of course dependant on whether he works for a western salary ar a local one.

Food is where the earner is if it is done right .

#57790 - 02 Aug 07 09:47 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
And he still won't get rich selling beer - take the cost of chillers etc and he will just about clear wages - all of course dependant on whether he works for a western salary ar a local one.

You are absolutely right Capt. problem Bart's bars charge 60,000 ++ for a Burger,... so he aint gonna sell to many as they not THAT good

(George Bernard Shaw)

#57791 - 02 Aug 07 09:49 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Funnily enough, I know the Scottish gentleman well (and its not me!)

He is an annoying twat!

#57792 - 02 Aug 07 09:50 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Balibob]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

btw bob .... who is the grumpy Scottish bloke?

#57793 - 02 Aug 07 09:52 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Balibob]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I know - I still have a burger lodged against my clacker -

You don't need me to tell you about the psychology of dropping a few roast spuds and a bit of cheese on the bar to keep people drinking - sadly something that Indo bar owners don't seem to understand.

Let's be honest and look at what we as expats want to earn - I bet most bule bar owners don't come close .

#57794 - 02 Aug 07 09:53 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: chewwyUK]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Quoting: chewwyUK
btw bob .... who is the grumpy Scottish bloke?

Well to be honest with you Mr Cheww,.. I thought it was Dilli he meant or maybe,... Mr Cheftains table ,.. can't think off hand of anymore "Jock's" who get it there

(George Bernard Shaw)

#57795 - 02 Aug 07 09:56 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Again you are right,.. but I still think Bart's drinks are overpriced, even though I do go back,.. he charges based on what he believes Bule salaries are, and U still see the JIS teachers go in to DH for a beer, but I guess they sip the same one all night

(George Bernard Shaw)

#57797 - 02 Aug 07 10:01 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Balibob]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Chieftans table......

#57798 - 02 Aug 07 10:06 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Balibob]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Balibob
Again you are right,.. but I still think Bart's drinks are overpriced, even though I do go back,.. he charges based on what he believes Bule salaries are, and U still see the JIS teachers go in to DH for a beer, but I guess they sip the same one all night

50K for a tin of the black stuff - needs must where the devil drives and I have spent a few quid on the stuff in there .

Maybe it comes back to what bules salaries really are - I turned down a year in Jakarta - the salary was half an insult , and like it or not we have to work for western money - you never know if SBy will decide to sling the bules out on a whim.

#57799 - 02 Aug 07 10:18 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

Which reminds me! The EP still owe me a Tandoori Chicken as "Lunchbox" ate mine!

#57800 - 02 Aug 07 10:21 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Balibob Offline
Member**

That's why it's best to work for yourself here Capt. as you can make good dosh if you follow "Indonesian Best pratices" ,.. you know the saying, "no Pain,.. No Gain"

(George Bernard Shaw)

#57801 - 02 Aug 07 10:28 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: Balibob]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The tried and true discussion --

"..the woes of the world and the price of beer.."
--Bill Blade, Jakarta, 2002

#57802 - 02 Aug 07 11:16 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
that "quote" deserves a bit more of its original context, cos it was intended to be a direct insult to a certain fellow we all know:

"certain grizzled old expatriate goats, mostly heavily bearded, who are so often to be found holding court in Jaksa, bleating forth nonsense about the woes of the world and the price of beer."

#58150 - 08 Aug 07 20:08 Re: here is one that i liked [Re: kenyeung]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
i dunno man. I never made any margins when I used to manage a hotel.

i'd easily get 100% markup on the alcohol. the food was always cost / small loss. it didn't matter how I did it.

plus the amount of filching (i.e. theft) from staff really hurts the bottom line.

Moderator:  NetCop