Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57730 - 01 Aug 07 13:31 Len and his small cheque
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
A WOMAN who won £9.3million on the Lottery sent her brother’s family a cheque for £1,000, saying: “Treat yourselves.”

Mega-rich Irene Jones and husband Ron pledged to “look after” close relatives when they scooped the fortune last October.

Irene, 69, told a champagne press conference: “We are wondering how to spend the money but one thing’s for sure — we’re going to take our time and ensure that all our loved ones are taken care of.”

Her only brother Len Powell, 72, and his wife May were told to expect a cheque in the post.

The couple were on holiday when the envelope came and son Mark opened it with trembling hands, expecting to find at least £1million.

Len ... small cheque

Mark, 37, was stunned to find a cheque for just £1,000 — a tiny 0.010638 per cent of the triple rollover jackpot.

With it was a handwritten note from Irene — who makes hundreds of thousands a year in interest on her fortune.

It read: “Hope it will help you out with the struggle with money.”

The note signed off: “Treat yourselves . . . Love Irene.”

Mark framed it with a copy of the cheque and stuck it on his parents’ mantelpiece.

Last night May, of Telford, Shropshire, called the gift “stingy” but added: “I’m not surprised — Irene and Ron always watched the pennies. Our friends said, ‘Is that all they’ve given you?’, bearing in mind they’ll never be able to spend even their interest.

“But we have decided to see the money they have given us as a bonus.

“We have always wanted a nice walk-in shower after I had a stroke and because of Len’s arthritis so the money has gone towards that.

“And we have sent Irene a thank-you letter.”

Irene and Ron, 75, have stayed in their home town of Bilston, West Midlands— though they have moved from their council house to a £300,000 bungalow.

Pak Harto alledgedly also has money worries .

Attachments
2438-unclewiranto.jpg

#57731 - 01 Aug 07 13:38 Re: Len and his small cheque [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Another small czech.

#57733 - 01 Aug 07 14:02 Re: Len and his small cheque [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Another small czech.

?! you're becoming obscure, capt!

#57739 - 01 Aug 07 14:37 Re: Len and his small cheque [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Not really. I can assure you that he is a very small Czech .

#57748 - 01 Aug 07 15:16 Re: Len and his small cheque [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
like the Soeharto/ Wiranto pic. That says it all. Also a good candidate for Viz comic's "Up The Arse Corner"

#57752 - 01 Aug 07 15:23 Re: Len and his small cheque [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Caused by arthur's itis - same thing that afflicted poor Len - wonder if Len could lend him a grand?

#57753 - 01 Aug 07 15:27 Re: Len and his small cheque [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Well if you won £9.3million, how are you going to divide it? what are you going to spend it on?

Moderator:  NetCop