Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57510 - 28 Jul 07 17:07 Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago
Pete Loud Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Guys,
From 1988 to 2000 I used to spend a great deal of time in Indonesia and often stayed in Jl. Jaksa. Some of you may have read one of my tales of JJ at, www.peterloud.co.uk/indonesia/jalan_jaksa.html

In the early '90s I heard an incredible tale of a guy being beheaded in JJ. Can anyone confirm this? The tale that I heard was that a foreign couple were in a restaurant and the restaurant manager was trying to chat up the foreign girl and an argument broke out between the boyfriend and the manager. The manager then went into the back of the restaurant and came out with a Samarai sword and swung it at the guy and cut off his head.

Was there any truth in this?

Cheers,

Pete Loud

Edited by Pete Loud (28 Jul 07 17:10)

#57512 - 28 Jul 07 18:02 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Pete Loud]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Samurai swords have been wielded in at least two bars on Jaksa over the years, though I've neither seen nor heard of any warga asing being "dipotong kepala-ed" or "gorok lehered". There's been more violence against bules in Blok M. A few Indonesians have been killed around Jaksa, and a few Africans have been shot by police in the vicinity. And some unfortunate foreigners have overdosed and others committed suicide around Jaksa. The last time a local threatened a bule with a samurai sword on Jaksa was in Papa Cafe about 3 or 4 years ago. The South African on the receiving end survived (totally unscathed) to tell vastly more interesting tales (and to jump drunkenly into swimming pools at parties). In fact he still shares a house in Mampang with Roy's Hair, who perhaps has a less booze-blurred memory of the sword-play than I.

Roy's Hair, over to you:

(PS - Long been a fan of your maps Pete. thanks)

Edited by kenyeung (28 Jul 07 22:50)
Edit Reason: gladioli

#58108 - 08 Aug 07 10:38 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Jasus!! Well I can't say I remember our resident Springbok almost getting sliced and diced although he does get himself in a few scrapes after a few sherberts.

Latest news is I'm barred from YUB by Mr. Pedro.Staff refused to serve me on Sunday night. I didn't do anything though. He's confusing me with my Kiwi housemate who he barred last week after an altercation over a bill. I wasn't even there the time. What an arse.

#58124 - 08 Aug 07 15:00 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Roy's Hair]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

More likely you were banned for that time Mr Pedro caught you having sex with two of his waitresses in his office. We know all about your "Spicy Yaudah Sandwich Special"

#58252 - 09 Aug 07 20:32 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

that was dealt with by the relevant authorities at the time.

#58253 - 09 Aug 07 20:48 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: kenyeung]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: kenyeung
More likely you were banned for that time Mr Pedro caught you having sex with two of his waitresses in his office. We know all about your "Spicy Yaudah Sandwich Special"

i've always been under the impression that Ya Udah girls weren't like that.

or maybe they're just not "like that" with me frown

#58255 - 09 Aug 07 21:10 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
He is almost 30 yeras younger than you Kuku, no brainer for the girls!

#58263 - 09 Aug 07 22:28 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
And he's hung like a pack mule.

#58268 - 10 Aug 07 07:37 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Piss Salon
And he's hung like a pack mule.

you mean to say, he whipped out his tackle in Ya Udah to show the girls? i don't think Pedro would like that. maybe that's why he got banned.

#58270 - 10 Aug 07 07:43 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
He has his own seat!

Attachments
Roys Hairs seat.jpg

#58275 - 10 Aug 07 08:34 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Dilli]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Strange, Roy’s Hair always seemed to be the most unassuming and unobtrusive fellow when dining out in opulent restaurants, such as the 3-star Michelin rated Yaudah Bistro. Except for the time of his misunderstanding with the waitresses over the difference between “meat and two veg” and “English sausage”. The two waitresses in question initially denied that “English sausage” was available, until they ended up serving him a “yaudah sandwich” in the privacy of Pedro’s glass-house office. Both girls gorged themselves on vast quantities of the “English sausage”, while Roy’s Hair fared no better with two servings of “humble Javanese carp pie”. Personally, I blame Pedro for making the waitresses wear those incredibly sexy, figure-hugging Coco the Clown uniforms.

#58277 - 10 Aug 07 08:52 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Dilli
He is almost 30 yeras younger than you Kuku, no brainer for the girls!

no, i do think so. clearly i am as old as Roy's Hair. so that's not it.

i suspect it has much more to do with my reputation in jaksa. it seems to have become common knowledge on the street that i am a Practicing Polygamist. certainly i have not gone out of my way to make this fact known. nor to keep it a secret.

Practicing Polygamists are in fact as rare as Practicing Monogamists, the only one i know being ChewwyUK.

anyway, my "reputation" preceding me, i suspect the Ya Udah gals are keeping their distance until such time as they can corner me alone.

a few months ago, Yu Udah's Proprietor had a special on the menu called "Australian Polygamy". i never tried it.

#58362 - 10 Aug 07 16:13 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Actually I've never exposed my Wurst in YUB and usually just come in for an unassuming bowl of soup and a chance to shout into Jardine's ear trumpet (actually I wish he'd buy one). So I was rather shocked to be barred . I hope we can sort this mess out and get back full Strammermax action soon. Quite apart from the indignity of being mistaken for my portly Antipodean house mate, the disease ridden Pappas isn't really cutting it as a replacement.

I am hung like a horse though...

#58401 - 11 Aug 07 13:32 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Roy's Hair]
Tommy Offline

Loc: Jakarta
I heard the beheading story a while ago. Apparently the altercation happened around Asmat (later International then Q Bar and now a sh#thole).. There was a disco in the back and some sort of argument started between a guy and his mate entering and the Ambonese guy on the door.

They walked away down the street and the Ambon guy chased them and attacked from behind hacking a guy's head off. The story goes that the victim was not actually the main protagonist and that he got the wrong guy...

Happened sometime in '95 as Asmat was closed for a few months and reopened as International...

For those that know him Raymondo was the manager of the disco around this time and he may be able to shed further light on this...

Good tale anyway....

#58402 - 11 Aug 07 13:36 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Tommy]
Pooh Bah

never let the truth stand in the way of a good story wink

#58403 - 11 Aug 07 13:37 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pooh Bah

actually, my friendly ambonese neighbour, max the axe, might know something about this ...

#58408 - 11 Aug 07 14:00 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
There were four Ambonese bouncers hacked to death in Stadium nightclub about two to three years ago. Not nice for those tripping on the love drug. The fourth victim made it to the third floor before finally succumbing to his rather fatal injuries.

#58409 - 11 Aug 07 14:17 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Piss Salon]
Pooh Bah

"rather fatal"? or perhaps you meant "moderately fatal"?

#58414 - 11 Aug 07 20:38 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Tommy]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Tommy
Good tale anyway....

All very interesting indeed. I first stepped foot on Jaksa in mid-96, but never heard of a foreigner getting his head sliced off the previous year. I thought International ("then Q, now shithole") was called Bagus Bar in its previous incarnation?

Piss or Ricc, ask Banjo about this alleged beheading. Or ask Rio (English Pat's punk ex), as he virtually lived in that establishment back then. Or even T. Rex or Canadian married guy or DJ... Or is DJ "Tommy"?

#58476 - 12 Aug 07 13:02 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: kenyeung]
Tommy Offline

Sorry I wasn't clear. I believe the victim was a local...

It was Asmat when I first visited in '94 but I believe it was Bagus before that...

And no, I am not the bearded intellectual although I know him well...

#58524 - 12 Aug 07 21:17 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: Tommy]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Whiskered wise man? There must be a mistake. I was referring to DJ.

#58529 - 12 Aug 07 22:39 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: kenyeung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I did some investigation with some of the people Ken mentioned and others.

Yes, indeed, the story Tommy tells seems to have been largely corroborated, but most swore that it was the Ambonese head that rolled.

As some of you may remember, there was a turf war for control of the street in the mid-1990s between the gang that currently runs it (the leader of which I spoke to at length today about all this, he loves reminiscing about the good ol' days) and a largely Ambonese/Moluccan crew. So there were more than a few violent skirmishes, mostly behind closed doors as neither wanted to put the punters and backpackers off.

#58530 - 12 Aug 07 22:40 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quite aside from all that (or possibly related if one tends toward conspiracy theories) -- there was one known foreigner killed on Jaksa. It appeared to be a "common" crime rather than some bigger political/turf war issue. He was attacked, robbed and killed in his hostel room.

#58531 - 12 Aug 07 22:56 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

However, there have been at least two foreigners murdered in Blok M, which were directly related to turf wars for gangs vying to control it and/or foreign bar owners refusing to pay protection money -- most notably, one of the founding owners of Sportsmans Bar, who was stabbed to death one evening in front of all the customers by a Moluccan vrijman. It was actually quite heavy on the Blok back in those days, despite the fun-loving atmosphere and all the young poultry.

Additionally, two ABRI officers -- who backed one gang or another -- were also murdered at the time.

In mid-1994, intel (BAIS) Brig. Gen Tampubolon was murdered.

In March 1995, in a retaliatory murder, the womanizing drunkard Police Lt. Budi Prasetyo was murdered in broad daylight by Ambonese gangsters. Budi's Partner, Capt. Arman Depari, got away with nasty stab wounds and never went back to the service after being taunted by the Ambonese.

The police captured one young Ambonese fellow (who insiders claim had nothing to do with any gangs), accused him of being the murderer and shot him dead in police custody. That was that, no trials, nothing.

Ask Mr. Reveller about the modern-day ramifications of all this as that same group that finally won control is now partially retiring and a new turf war may be brewing on the Blok.

#58532 - 12 Aug 07 23:05 Re: Be-heading in Jl. Jaksa several years ago [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Remember the German who hung himself in a hostel down near the Maggot/Okusi end of the street? Before topping himself, he gave his very limited music collection to Pedro at Yaudah. Those tunes can still be heard there today and everyday (if available).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop