Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57384 - 26 Jul 07 17:28 Jawa, Corruption & iSlam
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
This is one of the better local articles I've seen in many moons, so I took the liberty to do some light editing/proofreading so everyone could enjoy it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Scapegoat capitalism, protecting the corrupt

Ahmad Junaidi, Jakarta

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and his advisers might have been ignoring Harvard University political economist Francis Fukuyama's book, The End of History and the Last Man, when the President denounced capitalism -- an inseparable component of liberal democracy -- in front of cooperative executives gathered in Bali recently.

Or it could have been that the media presented the President as if he had insufficient knowledge of the only surviving modern economic system, which is often considered evil by certain religious conservatives.

SBY must have learned about capitalism when he accepted a visit by award-winning economist Hernando de Soto, who has written several best-selling books, including The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else, in November last year.

According to de Soto, a Geneva-based Peruvian pundit, capitalism fails in developing countries merely due to the absence of legal certainty. Rampant bribery, nepotism, collusion and corruption should be blamed too for the systems' ineffectiveness.

Here in Indonesia, corruption is not only politically systemic, but also a cultural pandemic.

The Dutch colonial rulers attempted to introduce public administration and accountability to change the Javanese patrimonial aristocratic system (which was far different from European feudal aristocracy). But it failed due to the Java War (1825-1830).

According to researcher Theodore M. Smith in his paper Corruption, Tradition and Change in Indonesia, rampant corruption in this country has its origins in the Javanese patrimonial system. This can be seen in the fact that village heads often use village assets for their personal spending, while little goes to the public. This "habit" is shared by many civil servants and state officials, who mostly come from rural areas.

Some Muslim leaders are also known for not supporting public accountability. Many kyai (clerics) still mix money meant for their pesantren (Islamic boarding schools) or orphanages with their personal wealth.

Noted sociologist, the late Selo Soemardjan, with a PhD from Cornell University, called corruption in this country 'a cancer that needs surgery to heal'.

Muslim Indonesians (about 80 percent of the country's 220 million population) still do not consider corruption a serious sin.

Therefore, we can see some religious leaders still smiling after being questioned by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) for accepting money from former fisheries minister Rokhmin Dahuri, who was just sentenced to seven years in prison for graft.

We, too, are sad but feel relieved to learn that the House of Representatives' ethics council handed a penalty to a young Justice and Prosperity Party legislator for receiving an "honorarium" from Rokhmin.

Money from Rokhmin is believed to have gone to the pockets of all presidential candidates during the 2004 elections. But only one candidate, Amien Rais, admitted to using it for his presidential campaign. We have never heard him apologize for violating campaign rules, instead he has accused the other candidates of accepting the ill-gotten money.

Despite his trial, Rokhmin -- a professor at Bogor Institute of Agriculture -- was still reportedly giving lectures and testing three doctoral candidates while in police detention.

People have never bothered asking whether the money given to them was accrued from corruption. For them, the money is like a donation for orphans, which requires no accountability. Tax-free donations need accountability in many developed countries, but not here.

The imprisonment of former religious affairs minister Said Agil Al Munawar -- a doctorate degree holder from a Middle Eastern university and a khafidz (someone who has memorized 30 chapters of Koran) -- for graft is another example of how blurred the concept of corruption is among Muslims here.

No wonder the country is always at the top list of the most corrupt countries in the world.

We certainly hope the recent deployment of anti-corruption laskar (militia gang) by several hard-line groups and headed by the former chairman of the Indonesian Legal Aid Foundation, Munarman, was solely based on their concern over corruption.

It's positive that Partnership, a respected non-governmental organization campaigning for good governance, is cooperating with the country's two largest Muslim organizations, Nahdlatul Ulama and Muhammadiyah, to draft anti-corruption fiqh (Islamic law).

Although the moderate Muslim groups have not found the equal term for corruption in the Koran or hadith, their view that the crime can be considered risywah (bribery) and a violation of al-amanah al-ammah (public trust) is a good signal.

Changing Muslim public perceptions on corruption and then implementing it in daily practice will take time. In the meantime, the law enforcement personnel should continue arresting corrupt people, regardless of their political and religious backgrounds.

Stop blaming capitalism for people's suffering, and start blaming corrupt officials and their cronies.

The writer is a journalist with The Jakarta Post. He can be reached at alexjunaidi@gmail.com.

#57385 - 26 Jul 07 17:33 Re: Jawa, Corruption & iSlam [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

BTW, here's the link, but it will only be effective for the next 18 hours or so...

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20070726.F04&irec=3

#57399 - 26 Jul 07 21:38 Re: Jawa, Corruption & iSlam [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
This is one of the better local articles I've seen in many moons, so I took the liberty to do some light editing/proofreading so everyone could enjoy it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Why? you don't work there anymore, or perhaps you are like those Jap gentlemen who keep travelling to work long after they have "left" ?

#57402 - 26 Jul 07 23:30 Re: Jawa, Corruption & iSlam [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

For good or for ill, they sometimes forget to put the edited articles in the online version. I appreciated the content of the story, so merely wanted to clean it up a bit - no big deal, took 2 minutes. So.... pvt. whingekampungan, you enjoyed the article then? How is that whole corrupt Jawa patrimonial thing working out for ya? The iSlam thing? Is it possible for you to focus on the content of ANYTHING, rather than fixating on me? What is that you soooo hate about yourself? You seem so miserable? I sense a deep hatred for the decisions you've made in life. An incredible sense of inferiority that is eating you up.

#57405 - 27 Jul 07 06:51 Re: Jawa, Corruption & iSlam [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
No, tosser your opinion that you need to delete/edit everything -I suppose there is a chucky version of "The Canterbury Tales" or perhaps "The Love Feast", and I expect that Shakespeare really needs tidying up because of punctuation and grammar .

For the love of Allah, you are only a second rate hack who can't afford to live in the first world .

#58380 - 10 Aug 07 22:44 Re: Jawa, Corruption & iSlam [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
yourfather Offline
Member+

Loc: melbourne australia
Ah, just waiting to see who'd be the first one to spot that

#58393 - 11 Aug 07 11:46 Re: Jawa, Corruption & iSlam [Re: yourfather]
Cuckoo Offline
Member++

Loc: fairyland
Yay! Bull fight?

#58406 - 11 Aug 07 13:47 Re: Jawa, Corruption & iSlam [Re: Cuckoo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Watch out Captain. You are picking on the wrong man. He soon might be a trained weapon of destruction.

WASHINGTON (AP) - Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.
"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop