Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57084 - 22 Jul 07 12:18 JP/Local television sinks to new depths
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Local television sinks to new depths

Having lived in Singapore for several years now, I consider myself lucky to have escaped what I had heard has inundated Indonesian TV: Lousy soap operas, gory crime programs and tacky gossip shows.

Recently, however, during a short visit to Jakarta, I browsed local TV stations in the hope of finding some improvement.

Instead, not only was there not the slightest sign of any improvement; I also came across one of the worst pieces of TV journalism I have ever seen.

What ticked me off was the report on comedian Taufik Savalas, who had died in a traffic accident. Indeed, it was a real loss for the entertainment scene in the country as he was such a good comedian, and apparently a sincere, charitable and loving family man.

However, a 10-minute report on his death on a local TV station made me want to kick my (well, my parents') TV set.

In a bid to get a scoop on the reaction of Taufik's family, the station covered the incident in a very insensitive manner.

It began when a TV crew arrived at Taufik's house close to midnight, saying they were looking for him. Apparently, the crew had already been informed about Taufik's death, but his wife did not know, as she had just arrived home from a prayer meeting.

Instead of informing the poor woman, who had kindly allowed the crew inside her home, the crew kept the news to themselves, waited around awhile, all the time keeping the camera rolling.

Several minutes later, Taufik's wife received the sad news and broke down. She began to cry before fainting on the staircase. The whole family began to cry as well, and a family member repeatedly asked the reporter to turn off the camera and not barge in on what had clearly become the saddest, most private moment for the family.

The crew, however, continued to shoot the entire scene, exploiting the tragedy. They even dared to go to the staircase to get a close-up view of the still-unconscious wife, and went on to follow as some people carried the woman to the second floor and tried to revive her.

Not long after, the TV crew found another victim: Taufik's mother, who had came with her head covered by a scarf but still wearing her dressing gown, and who was crying all the way from the car to the house. Alas, the cameras kept rolling, shooting her close-up!

It was really distasteful and insensitive, and clearly an invasion of privacy; dare I say it, possibly a human rights violation, too, for the sake of selling a crappy TV show.

It was not the first time that TV has been so exploitative. I remember reading about coverage on the death of singer Alda a few months ago, when TV stations hovered over her body like a herd of vultures, trying to get the best close-up angle of the girl who sadly could not fight the insult.

A blogger also wrote about what happened at singer Chrisye's burial, when a gossip show crew barged in, pushing everybody to get the best shot.

By pushing it meant they were really pushing and stepping on many people, including children and the elderly. When confronted, they snapped, "Have mercy on us! We're working here to earn money. The worst thing that can happen is to have a camera fall on you!"

It is also bugs me that they dare to call themselves journalists, which beggars belief. Apart from not respecting their news sources they also focused on emotional aspects and gory detail rather than getting facts across or investigating the issue.

What they call investigative reporting is to stretch a five-minute report into a half-hour show just by peppering it with absurd analysis and comments from -- yes -- psychics, of all people.

And don't get me going on how sexist, judgmental and outrageous the analyses usually are.

The problem is, there will be no improvement if the demand is still there. Should we just blame viewer demand, or take an authoritarian stance and ban such TV shows? I don't see any alternative.

Also, I'd like to say this to celebrities: You simply don't need gossip show crews. Be tough on them, do not respond to them. If you are indeed a good entertainer and artist, it will show through anyway. You do not need to be covered by the paparazzi.

If we can't do anything about the demand, at least let's tackle the supply side.

-- Meutia Chaerani

#57085 - 22 Jul 07 13:12 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Perhaps Telly Savalas or whatever his name was, was just reaping what he sewed, him being one of the most face punchingly annoying, condescending and insensitive people on Indo TV (almost as bad as that perma-chirpy tart Ulfa)

#57091 - 22 Jul 07 13:53 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I must admit that watching news bulletins where people have ragically died and the Indo news crews are in the face of the grieving relatives urges me to hit the "Off" button

#57092 - 22 Jul 07 13:57 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Nothing new in that - if you had seen the documentary of what actually happened at the death of Diana , you would puke at the morals of the scum involved . Like or dislike Diana, the fuckers had just contributed to her death then continued to film it - thankfully the french police gave a few of them a really hard time and took much of the film .

Journalist (even half failed journalists) take a delight in writing shite then deleting the comments that they don't like.

#57093 - 22 Jul 07 14:13 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Never saw the documentary, in fact I probably would decline if it was broadcast!

Deleting comments...never seen that happen smile

#57094 - 22 Jul 07 14:19 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: Dilli]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
To quote myself: "The generals running Indonesia's TV networks are happy to keep feeding the viewing masses with scandalous tidbits of vacuous celebrity gossip, lest people ever start asking why Hendropriyono and Muchdi haven't been charged for murdering Munir. And why SBY let Tommy Soeharto out of jail."

Actually, not all Indonesian TV networks are run/owned/managed by Suharto kids/cronies or retired generals. Though at least 5 are:

RCTI and Global TV: Part of PT Media Nusantara Citra/PT Bimantara Citra Tbk. Shareholders include Suharto son Bambang Trihatmodjo. Commissioner is Lt. Gen. (ret) Agum Gumelar.

TPI: Shareholders include Suharto daughter Siti Hardiyanti 'Tutut' Rukmana. President Director is Maj. Gen. (ret) Sang Nyoman Suwisma.

SCTV: Commissioner is Lt. Gen. (ret) R. Soeyono. Another commissioner is Suharto daughter Siti 'Titiek' Hediati Hariyadi.

Indosiar: Big boss is Suharto crony Anthony Salim. News Director is Brig. Gen. (ret) Nurhadi Purwosaputro.

O Channel: Co-owned by MRA Group, which itself is co-owned by Adiguna Sutowo - serving a 7-year jail sentence for shooting a waiter in the head at the Jakarta Hotel Hilton (now Sultan Hotel).

Trans TV: Commissioner was Gen. (ret) Rudini, but he's snuffed it. Don't think he was replaced by another general.

etc......

As for the above Jakarta Post piece, actors/celebrities generally adore being covered by the stupid gossip shows - so people ought not complain when this coverage extends to actors' deaths/funerals.

Regarding insensitive invasions of privacy - what about the police/public ordinance officers taking camera crews on raids of bars, nightclubs and brothels? And cops frequently forcing detained girls, suspected drug users/dealers to show their faces? Fondly recall a night in 1997 in the sadly-defunct Pentagon bar on Jl Palatehan when police entered and began searching patrons for drugs. Two TV camera crews followed the cops and failed to heed a warning from a large drunk Geordie to "get them fuckin cameras out of 'ere". They got the message and left when he shoved one cameraman into a wall. As for the cops, they had more luck finding drugs over the road at La Fonta.

Upshot being, if a TV crew ever invades your house, boot them out. The Jak Post piece on Taufik Savalas (who played the annoying president on the show Republik BBM) could've mentioned that SCTV's crime show Buser showed plenty of gratuitous footage of Taufik's corpse being wheeled away from the car wreck and examined in the hospital. Real dead bodies and real violence on TV - good stuff! Whereas kissing is bad and dangerous (yawn), as Time magazine's latest issue wearily points out. More at Indonesia's 12 Categories of Kisses: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1645630,00.html

Edited by kenyeung (22 Jul 07 18:47)
Edit Reason: a meeting with Pak Harto

#57095 - 22 Jul 07 14:56 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: kenyeung]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: kenyeung
But as Time magazine's latest issue points out: Kissing is bad for Indonesian audiences - More at Indonesia's 12 Categories of Kisses: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1645630,00.html

perhaps i've become immune from too many years here, but it seems to me that the level of violence in movies shown in indonesia has drastically reduced since the fall of soeharto. back in the bad old days, every second film shown on TV fell into one of three genres: 1. screaming americans, 2. screaming americans with guns, 2. screaming americans with guns and helicopters.

these days, it's not often you see such movies on TV. perhaps the violence quotient has been replaced with these god-awful "reality" shows.

#57096 - 22 Jul 07 15:05 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: kenyeung
Upshot being, if a TV crew ever invades your house, boot them out. The Jak Post piece on Taufik Savalas (who played the annoying president on the show Republik BBM) could've mentioned that SCTV's crime show Buser showed plenty of gratuitous footage of Taufik's corpse being wheeled away from the car wreck and examined in the hospital. Real dead bodies and real violence on TV - no problem! But as Time magazine's latest issue points out: Kissing is bad for Indonesian audiences - More at Indonesia's 12 Categories of Kisses: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1645630,00.html

I'm glad you pointed that out Kenny - It wouldn't have crossed my mind to ask what they were doing sitting in my living room with large cameras at the ready .

I wouldn't have thought that The Jakarta Post was any more qualified than The Sun to make any statement regarding quality journalism .

This is tame compared to the hatchet jobs that western media carry out on a daily basis in the name of "journalism" - for me the satisfaction is to see the journalists hoisted by their own petard .

#57097 - 22 Jul 07 16:31 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Pujangga

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
1. screaming americans, 2. screaming americans with guns, 2. screaming americans with guns and helicopters.
these days, it's not often you see such movies on TV. perhaps the violence quotient has been replaced with these god-awful "reality" shows.

That's what you get for only watching MetroTV. Crap violence movies galore late-night on TransTV. Trans7 and Lativi.

Edited by kenyeung (22 Jul 07 17:07)
Edit Reason: a meeting with Pak Harto.

#57098 - 22 Jul 07 17:06 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
I'm glad you pointed that out Kenny - It wouldn't have crossed my mind to ask what they were doing sitting in my living room with large cameras at the ready .

Blindingly obvious yes - to someone accustomed to regularly booting Jon Pertwee's cousin out of Home Guard meetings - but many people seem intimidated or awestruck by invasive TV crews and thus fail to mete out the boot or even the sandal jepit.

#57105 - 22 Jul 07 18:29 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Well he shouldn't have interfered in Military Business - he was only after all an ARP .

Pretty crass of them not to invite Mrs Taufik to the autopsy.

#57106 - 23 Jul 07 02:20 Re: JP/Local television sinks to new depths [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
I remember a TV crew and cops raiding My Bar during Ramadingdong last year . I managed to obstruct one camerman's lens for a few minutes. He got a bit shirty though but fuck him. The cops take these poor girls from discos and basically imprison them for four months. No court case or nuffink; not even a whisky coke to while away the hours learning needlework. Poor lambs etc. etc.

Edited by Roy's hair (23 Jul 07 02:21)
Edit Reason: nob trapped in writing desk

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop