Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57025 - 20 Jul 07 16:55 Bonds nears Hallowed record
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
CHICAGO (AP) -- Barry Bonds is finally willing to recognize his own countdown to the home run record.

He hit two more over the fences and, suddenly, is just two swings from tying Hank Aaron. And those commemorative balls now being worked in for Bonds' at-bats serve as constant reminders that he's right on the cusp of making history -- and breaking the most hallowed record in sports.

"It's real now," Bonds said after hitting his 752nd and 753rd home runs Thursday in the San Francisco Giants' 9-8 loss to the Chicago Cubs.

"I had to get over them switching those baseballs. Any time that happens, I kind of go into a slide. It's tough because you actually really realize something's going on and you don't really want to think about it. ... But when they stop it for a second and switch baseballs, it's very hard to not know something's happening right in front of you."

Bonds didn't just clear the fences in the second inning when he crushed the specially monogrammed ball for his 18th homer of the season and first in 25 at-bats, he cleared the bleachers altogether on a blustery day.

Bonds sent the first pitch from Cubs starter Ted Lilly high over the right-field fence leading off the second -- and it was the first drive to reach Sheffield Avenue all season. Then he homered again in the seventh, a three-run shot off Will Ohman.

#57030 - 20 Jul 07 19:43 Re: Bonds nears Hallowed record [Re: riccardo]
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Sorry Ricky, but I put Baseball, Cricket and Golf all into the same category - Organised loafing. And American football, should be called "how to make a simple game of rugby complicated and boring".

Peter Kay

#57043 - 21 Jul 07 07:06 Re: Bonds nears Hallowed record [Re: Magpie]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

That may well be your opinion mag, and it is one definitely shared by about 99.9% of Aussies, Kiwis and Brits (a total of about 90 million people). That is odd in itself, as there is probably no other issue that 99.9% of Brits, Kiwis and Aussies would agree on -- even horrible things like pedophilia. (According to the social science literature on this sort of thing, the only way we find that kind of agreement in a society is when there has been an effective, sustained brainwashing going on..., which I find rather interesting to say the least.)

Nonetheless, it may surprise those 90mn Brits, Aussies, kiwis that folks in Latin America, North America, South America and East Asia -- a total of over 2 Billion rabid fans -- really like baseball to the point of obsession, and in many of those places it ranks above soccer/futbol.

Anyway, the red, underlined bits about this being the "the most hallowed record in sports" was not my opinion, it was the opinion of the Associated Press (AP) news agency, which wrote the story. It caught my eye because I too thought that was quite a bold statement, even though I am a big fan of baseball, as well as cricket, golf, rugby, american football and many many others.

#57061 - 21 Jul 07 11:07 Re: Bonds nears Hallowed record [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Kuk and I had a good intellectual "discourse" on this in the shoutbox... should have saved it I guess.

The conclusion we reached is that it's tantamount to crass racism to dislike American sports and, most importantly, there has been a seriously high level of sustained brainwashing going on in the UK, OZ, NZ regarding this type of thing. I've surveyed/interviewed up to 1,000 or so people from these three countries over the past 20 years and it's uncanny how I get the exact same Pavlovian responses. For there to be such a unanimous societal consensus on anything it points to only one thing: Brainwashing
The solution: not to view sports/cultures as zero-sum issues. It does not have to be 'ours is good, therefore yours is bad'. It can very well be: 'ours is good and yours is good too'.

#57062 - 21 Jul 07 13:04 Re: Bonds nears Hallowed record [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
"should have saved it I guess."

Unusual - you normally delete what doesn't suit you .Are you sure that you aren't of Austrian descent?

#57104 - 22 Jul 07 18:26 Re: Bonds nears Hallowed record [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Please note I mentioned golf and cricket, two sports from the UK, in the mix. I love watching football and rugby (and womens tennis), but when it comes to playing, its all individual, mountain biking (ever heard of Marin County??), caving, rock climbing and the like. And yes I must be brainwashed, I've been supporting the same crappy football team for 27 or so years, and still think they should be "A BIG CLUB IN EUROPE". Crass racism, well that's something I have never been accused of before, I think it will look good on my C.V

Edited by Magpie (22 Jul 07 18:29)
Edit Reason: had an epiphany

Peter Kay

#57137 - 23 Jul 07 18:26 Re: Bonds nears Hallowed record [Re: Magpie]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I like American sports. Female pole vaulting for one. Particularly at the moment.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop