Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57010 - 20 Jul 07 11:29 Tour de Farce
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Cycling: Tour leader dumped from national team
9:50AM Friday July 20, 2007

COPENHAGEN - Tour de France leader Michael Rasmussen has been dropped from the Danish national cycling team after receiving several warnings from the International Cycling Union (UCI) and Denmark anti-doping authorities, the Danish Cycling Union (DCU) said today in a statement on its website.

The DCU did not say what the warnings were for, but Danish public television station DR said Rasmussen got them for failing to inform anti-doping authorities of his training whereabouts.

"We've got information from both UCI (international cycling union) and Anti-doping Denmark and we know that he received several warnings," DCU Director Jesper Worre said in an interview on DR.

DR quoted Rasmussen as admitting to receiving only one warning and blaming it on a postal service delay.

"There must be someone at the top who doesn't wish me well. I can't find another explanation," Rasmussen told Danish newspaper Politiken.

He added he had known of the DCU decision for three weeks.

"I tried to give an explanation of what happened, but they wouldn't accept it," he said. "But this is something that should not in the least affect my continued participation in the Tour."

The DCU said Rasmussen will not take part in the world championships or the Beijing Olympics.

It added it took the decision to drop the cyclist on June 21, but did not say why it waited until now to announce it.

"UCI has sent a letter to Rasmussen reproaching him not to have reported about his personal schedule over the last three months," Rabobank manager Theo De Rooij told Reuters.

Under UCI rules, a rider's schedule has to be known by the sport's governing body in order to conduct anti-doping random tests.

#57013 - 20 Jul 07 11:57 ASK DICK POUND! [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
ASK DICK POUND!!!

Why does that make the Tour De France a "farce"?? He rides on the tour for the private club/team Rabobank, NOTHING to do at all with the Denmark national team. He is currently in first place in the TdF. It would be like Beckham playing in the Champions League games with his club, but his national team (England) announces they don't want him any longer because of some BS administration error. IT DOES NOT AFFECT him or the Tour at all. It's always sad when naive non-sports people jump to irrational conclusions.

In the last 2 years, no other sport has been more intense and aggressive about catching drug cheats than cycling has. In fact, they've got all draconian about it and if there is ANY suspicion or even remote association with drugs, suspects are immediately banned from the team, banned from the various tours and Olympics. Look at your national sport -- Rugby. That is one of the top 2 or 3 doped-up sports right now and they have almost ZERO proper internal checks or doping protocols. The Aussie Rules Footie is #1 in terms of heavy dopers across the board and also ZERO controls. At least with Rugby they are somewhat governed by international bodies, but the Aussie Rules boys have none of that.

Before jumping to wild conclusions, replete with wild accusations, check the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) website and see what NAZI CANADIAN Dick Pound has to say.

#57139 - 23 Jul 07 18:31 Re: ASK DICK POUND! [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

It should be cancelled period until they sort the sport out. Just like Indonesia should be stopped being given loans till it sorts out its corruption problems.

#57229 - 25 Jul 07 07:02 Re: Tour de Farce [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

By JEROME PUGMIRE, AP Sports Writer
July 24, 2007

VINO gets nailed, Astana team pulls out!

PAU, France (AP) -- Cycling fans loved the rider they called Vino. And he loved to deliver results -- just not the type that came out of a laboratory on Tuesday and ended his run in this year's Tour de France.

Alexandre Vinokourov was a pre-race favorite who excited Tour fans by rebounding from a bad crash in the fifth stage to stay in contention until Sunday's 14th stage. Then he won Monday's stage as consolation but on Tuesday -- a rest day -- came news he tested positive for a blood transfusion after winning Saturday's time trial.

His B sample is expected by the end of the week, coinciding with the end of another tainted Tour.

Astana suspended the Kazakh rider and also withdrew its team from the Tour, ending the chances of its best-placed rider, Andreas Kloeden, who was fifth. Vinokourov was 23rd.

"Alexandre denies having manipulated his blood," Astana manager Marc Biver said, adding that Vinokourov believes the "blood anomalies in his body" may have resulted from the crash.

#57230 - 25 Jul 07 07:10 Re: Tour de Farce [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: riccardo
"Alexandre denies having manipulated his blood," Astana manager Marc Biver said, adding that Vinokourov believes the "blood anomalies in his body" may have resulted from the crash.

why are cyclists such bad liars?

#57231 - 25 Jul 07 07:21 Re: Tour de Farce [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Tour de France doping scandals
By The Associated Press
July 24, 2007

A look at prominent riders implicated in doping scandals at the Tour de France:

ALEXANDRE VINOKOUROV: Forced out of this year's Tour, along with all members of the Astana team on Tuesday, after he tested positive for a banned blood transfusion. The rider from Kazakhstan, a one-time favorite to win cycling's premier event, was tested after his victory in the 13th stage time trial on Saturday. He also won Monday's stage, the final stage of the 2005 Tour, and another in 2003, when he finished third overall.

FLOYD LANDIS: He is hoping to overturn the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's 34-0 winning record on arbitration hearings and prove he did not take testosterone on his way to victory at last year's Tour. Landis says the French lab which tested his samples made key errors. His 2006 victory is not recognized by organizers.

JAN ULLRICH: Forced out on the eve of last year's race after being linked to "Operation Puerto" -- a massive Spanish investigation into a blood-doping scandal at a Madrid clinic that implicated more than 50 riders. After he was fired by the T-Mobile team, Ullrich's DNA sample was matched to one of the blood bags in the scandal. The 1997 Tour winner has retired and denies any wrongdoing.

IVAN BASSO: The Italian rider was also kicked out of last year's Tour. He received a two-year doping penalty from his cycling federation in June and accepted the punishment. The 2005 Tour runner-up has confessed to "attempted doping," but says he never actually went through with it.

RICHARD VIRENQUE: Flamboyant French rider and seven-time winner of the King of the Mountains jersey as best climber. Virenque was part of the Festina squad kicked out of the Tour in 1998 after police found large quantities of doping material in a team car. Virenque later made a tearful confession to a French court that he had used banned substances.

BJARNE RIIS: The Dane recently confessed to using EPO during his 1996 Tour win. Now head of Team CSC, he decided not to join the team for the start of the race in London on July 7.

#57304 - 25 Jul 07 16:30 Re: ASK DICK POUND! [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
ASK DICK POUND!!!

Why does that make the Tour De France a "farce"?? He rides on the tour for the private club/team Rabobank, NOTHING to do at all with the Denmark national team. He is currently in first place in the TdF. It would be like Beckham playing in the Champions League games with his club, but his national team (England) announces they don't want him any longer because of some BS administration error. IT DOES NOT AFFECT him or the Tour at all. It's always sad when naive non-sports people jump to irrational conclusions.

In the last 2 years, no other sport has been more intense and aggressive about catching drug cheats than cycling has. In fact, they've got all draconian about it and if there is ANY suspicion or even remote association with drugs, suspects are immediately banned from the team, banned from the various tours and Olympics. Look at your national sport -- Rugby. That is one of the top 2 or 3 doped-up sports right now and they have almost ZERO proper internal checks or doping protocols. The Aussie Rules Footie is #1 in terms of heavy dopers across the board and also ZERO controls. At least with Rugby they are somewhat governed by international bodies, but the Aussie Rules boys have none of that.

Before jumping to wild conclusions, replete with wild accusations, check the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) website and see what NAZI CANADIAN Dick Pound has to say.

Cut and paste

Paris - It is as much a part of French life as Bastille Day, long summer holidays and the grape harvest.

For the cyclists, it is a gruelling combination of muscle power and gritted will.

For the loyalists who follow the event, gathered on picnic blankets or perched upon their caravans, it is an obsession.

But plagued by doping scandals and mounting public scepticism, the annual Tour de France risks falling into a ditch.

A new opinion poll has found that 78 per cent of French people "sometimes or always have doubts" as to the honesty of the winner of a stage in the race.

The survey by Ifop also shows that only 52 per cent of the public are actually fond of the tour.

Among those aged over 65, nearly two-thirds say they are attached to the event.

But among those aged under 35, such feelings are expressed by only 36 per cent, reflecting a widening generational gap that worries organisers.

"We know the public doubts champions' performances. I think that's a catastrophe for the sport. Our priority, the top priority, is to restore our image and to do that we can to wage a merciless war against doping," tour organising chairman Patrice Clerc told reporters.

#57310 - 25 Jul 07 16:59 Re: ASK DICK POUND! [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Ha ha ha... The French are losing interest more because they haven't had a champion since Bernard Hinault in the 1980s!! In fact, several of the past tours have not had a single Frenchman anywhere near the TOP 10!

However, it's becoming more and more popular among Russians, Germans, Americans, Scandinavians, Australians, and believe it or not... BRITS. Its popularity will never wane in Belgium, Holland, Italy or Spain.

Nonetheless, I too am really angry about these doping cheats and really wish someone would execute them all on the spot. In fact, I think I'll invite them to Jakarta for a special event and execute them all on the spot after I become your gubernator.

#57331 - 26 Jul 07 06:20 Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This is the last straw for me. I'm now fully on Piss Salon's side on this bullshit and WILL NEVER again give the benefit of the doubt to cyclists who are ruining one of the best sports and greatest sporting events in the world! EXECUTE THEM ALL! BRING OUT THE FRIGGIN' GUILLOTINE!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Tour leader Rasmussen taken out of Tour de France by Rabobank team
By JEROME PUGMIRE, Associated Press Writer
July 25, 2007

GOURETTE, France (AP) -- Tour de France leader Michael Rasmussen was kicked out of the race by his own team after winning Wednesday's stage, the biggest blow yet in cycling's doping-tainted premier event.

"Michael Rasmussen has been sent home for violating (the team's) internal rules," Rabobank team spokesman Jacob Bergsma told The Associated Press by phone.

The expulsion, which Bergsma said was ordered by the Dutch team sponsor, was linked to "incorrect" information that Rasmussen gave to the team's sports director over his whereabouts last month. Rasmussen, who also has been suspended from the team, missed random drug tests May 8 and June 28, saying he was in Mexico. But a former rider, Davide Cassani, told Denmark's Danmarks Radio on Wednesday that he had seen Rasmussen in Italy in mid-June.

Bergsma said the team had not decided yet whether its other riders would take the start on Thursday in Pau.

The 33-year-old Danish rider, who's led since July 15, looked set to win the race which ends on Sunday in Paris.

As Rasmussen raced toward what would have been his first Tour victory, Tour officials questioned why he was allowed to take the start on July 7 in London, England.

"We cannot say that Rasmussen cheated, but his flippancy and his lies on his whereabouts had become unbearable," Tour director Christian Prudhomme told the AP.

The leader of cycling's governing body applauded the decision.

"My immediate reaction is, why didn't they do this at the end of June, when they had the same information," Pat McQuaid said. "The team decided to pull him out; that's their prerogative. I can only applaud that. It's a zero-tolerance policy, and it's a lesson for the future."

With Rasmussen out, Spanish rider Alberto Contador of the Discovery Channel team moved into the race lead.

"It's in no way a celebration on our end. It's the third piece of bad news," said Discovery Channel spokesman P.J. Rabice. "It reflects badly on our sport."

In recent days, Tour riders had openly voiced their skepticism about Rasmussen, and fans booed him at the start of Wednesday's stage. Last week, he was kicked off the Danish national team last week for those two missed drug tests.

After the Tour's upbeat start in London, when millions of spectators lined the streets, bad news -- nearly all of it related to doping -- quickly claimed the spotlight.

German rider Patrick Sinkewitz crashed into a spectator then was revealed to have failed a drug test in training before the race began.

Then on Tuesday, star cyclist Alexandre Vinokourov was sent home after testing positive for a banned blood transfusion, and his team pulled out of the race. Wednesday, it happened again when the Cofidis squad confirmed its rider Cristian Moreni of Italy had failed a doping test, prompted the withdrawal of the entire squad.

It wasn't immediately clear whether the 104-year-old Tour ever had lost its leader in such fashion so close to the finish.

"In the very old history of the Tour de France, I don't know, but the recent past -- never," said Tour spokesman Philippe Sudres.

Updated on Wednesday, Jul 25, 2007 6:56 pm, EDT

#57332 - 26 Jul 07 06:33 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The good news is that TEAM AMERICA (the Discovery Channel-sponsored team) holds the 1st and 3rd spots (a Spaniard and a Jewish-American, respectively) and an Aussie is in 2nd place with a chance to win the whole damn thing if he rides the time-trial of his life on Saturday. Wouldn't that be something, not only the first-ever top 10 finisher for Australia, but first champion. Apparently, despite the drug cheats, the Aussies are going nuts for their boy Cadel Evans. Australia's newfound enthusiasm for the sport could become the silver lining for all this other bad news.

#57334 - 26 Jul 07 06:56 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Is that the same Team America that saved the world two years ago?

#57337 - 26 Jul 07 07:17 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Dilli
Is that the same Team America that saved the world two years ago?

Something like that, just without the hardcore puppet sex or Korean freaks with bad hair singing "i'm so ronery, so ronery and sadry..."

#57338 - 26 Jul 07 07:21 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Corrupt race populated by a cast of frauds heading straight into the gutter

Michael Rasmussen, if he had somehow extricated himself from his tangled web, would have been booed all the way to Paris. Yesterday, to a chorus of disapproval at both the start of the sixteenth stage in Orthez and the finish on the Col d’Aubisque, the Dane took his second stage victory and consolidated his lead in the Tour de France, even as another positive drugs test, that of Cristian Moreni, the former Italian champion, darkened the depression hanging over the race.

By midnight, Rasmussen had been kicked out of the race by his own team and to many minds in the Tour convoy, this year’s event, now so tainted by the culture of doping, should be stopped.

At yesterday’s start, six French-sponsored and two German-sponsored teams, part of a new collective called the Movement For Credible Cycling, staged a fragmented protest against doping.

Rasmussen, at the time defiant and unrepentant, appeared unmoved. “People are venting their frustrations towards me,” he said. By the end of a long and tortuous day, even his sponsor had turned on him.

At the same time, the abject failure of a divided sport to clean up its act last night led to renewed calls that the Tour be stopped.

Instead, devoid of meaning, the race will continue to Paris, just as it did in 1998 in the wake of the Festina Affair.

This is because the Tour de France cannot – despite this latest catastrophe – stop, so bound is it by economic obligations to its leading sponsors and to the television networks around the world that pay millions of euros to ASO, the Tour’s parent company, to broadcast live coverage for three weeks each July. Yet last night, the 2007 Tour seemed like a runaway train.

The unexpected joy of London’s Grand Départ long forgotten, the Tour is now cut adrift once more, a fantasy league, populated by frauds, a prisoner of its own dubious history and buoyed by a sea of breathtaking hypocrisy. Christian Prudhomme, director of the race, has spoken passionately of clean sport, but he is flying in the face of a tradition of cheating, because there has never been a golden age of ethics in this race.

Prudhomme spoke of treachery upon hearing of Alexandre Vinokourov’s positive test, yet the Frenchman, through his “wild card” selections, invited the Astana team to compete. In the light of the team’s recent history, this makes his words either cripplingly naive or simply hollow.

The Astana team rose from the ashes of the Liberty Seguros team, managed by Manolo Saiz, the sporting director at the heart of the Operation Puerto doping investigation that derailed last year’s Tour.

Vinokourov’s training consultant, Michele Ferrari, has faced charges of sporting fraud in Italy, of which he was acquitted, and his techniques have been used by a series of leading riders.

Astana, Vinokourov’s team, had already endured scandals centred on two riders this year, Matthias Kessler and Eddy Mazzoleni. Yet given the choice of teams available to him, Prudhomme persisted with Astana, in part because of Vinokourov’s status, in part because Kazakhstan, like the United States, Denmark, Germany and England, is an attractive new market for a race that is running scared at home.

Since the Festina Affair of 1998, the Tour has been desperate to expand its horizons. The passion for cycling in France, once manifested in every town and village, is dying, due to disenchantment with doping and with the lack of a native Tour champion in more than 20 years. Many of the spectators are there out of sentiment and affection for the race’s romantic past, but this an audience ageing with its event.

Worse, there remain no French heroes on the horizon and more than ever the notion of a two-speed peloton, one part clean and the other dirty – le cyclisme à deux vitesses – has taken root.

French professionals are subject to year-long monitoring and there has not been a prominent French rider caught doping for some time, which, if the national media is to be believed, explains in part their mediocre results in recent Tours. Hence the resentment over Rasmussen’s cavalier attitude to out-of-competition controls and the growing anger with his domination of the race.

The Tour, once beguiling and evocative, so tied is it to French history and culture, is almost out of time.

In its current format this race appears to be an anachronism, a fast-fading snapshot of a disappearing France that is out of step with the ethical expectations of the modern world.

“Le dopage” was once an amphetamine secreted in a woollen racing jersey, a spontaneous ‘pick-me-up’ at the end of a hard stage. Now it equates to corporate-funded cheating, financed by multinational sponsors and planned months in advance in collaboration with “sports doctors”, some of whom are shadowy and highly paid mercenaries with access to the latest medical technologies.

Can the Tour save itself from doping? Perhaps, but only with far stricter vetting of teams, less demanding routes and a greater unity to banish the ghosts on the part of the riders, team managers and race organisers.

Yet as this race limps north towards Paris, that Utopia seems farther away than ever. Even in that ideal world, there would still be positive tests in this most brutal event, founded on the ideal of noble sufferance, but damned by its ignoble present.

#57357 - 26 Jul 07 08:18 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I am not sure why Drugs in cycling is such a shock. Drugs have been in this sport for ages ... have a look at the speeds these guys ride at and the amount of ground they cover! For fuck sake these guys even have medical procedures to increase the blood flow rates which can/does lead to them falling asleep and never waking up. I mean .. You cant tell me that Lance Armstrong never touched the stuff

#57364 - 26 Jul 07 10:20 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

In any other year yesterday's stage would have been one of the most memorable in the 104-year history of the Tour de France. Not this year, however. This was the worst day of all. Or maybe, in a perverse way, it was also the best, since the disgrace of the yellow jersey might just precipitate the wholesale cleansing of a sport that has spent years wallowing in its own filth.

On the face of it stage 16 held all the drama and beauty that its admirers expect from this great institution. After almost six and a half hours of riding, mostly uphill, through glorious Pyrenean scenery, with birds of prey hovering overhead and wild horses in the pastures, Michael Rasmussen accelerated away from his companions within the final kilometer, finishing 25 seconds ahead of his nearest pursuer.

Almost half a minute, taken out in the last 900 meters of the one-in-eight climb up the legendary Col d'Aubisque. An amazing performance. Superhuman, even. Still echoing in the mind, however, was the thought of the booing that had greeted Rasmussen at the start of yesterday's stage, the result of the rumors that had dogged his nine-day stewardship of the maillot jaune

In other circumstances there would have been plenty of enthusiasts ready to cheer a victory for a pure climber of such evident talent and dedication. But in the light of the events of the past week what happened yesterday - enthralling and beautiful as it was, viewed in isolation from the events that surrounded it - simply chilled the blood.

When Rasmussen made his move, with only a handful of bends to go on the 11-mile climb that formed the climax to the grueling 136-mile stage, he made his rivals look as if they were standing still. And it was impossible to escape the nagging feeling that we had seen this kind of thing before.

Rasmussen's feat evoked images of Floyd Landis flying up the climb to Morzine in last year's race, a few days before the announcement of his positive drugs test, and of Alexandr Vinokourov rocketing away from the field up the Col de Peyresourde on Monday while chemists in a clinic elsewhere in France were detecting another person's blood in the sample that had come from the Kazakh's veins two nights earlier.

In the present climate such pronounced superiority is immediately suspect. In Rasmussen's case it was triply so since recent days revealed the story of missed dope tests in the past and the claim by an American cyclist that the Dane had tried to trick him into transporting illegal doping materials from the United States to Europe five years ago.

Rasmussen's denials failed to convince his interrogators in the media. Having fallen for this sort of thing too often before, they were unwilling to be wrong-footed again. It was only on Monday night, after all, that Vinokourov was standing in front of them and pledging himself to do anything he could to help the sport fight the battle to clear its name.

There was always the possibility that the Dane was telling the truth, in which case his innocence would have been the victim of an all-pervasive skepticism that would nowadays greet any Tour de France rider who found himself in a similar position. No one could afford to take the risk of believing him and then be made to look a fool.

Had Rasmussen wanted to relieve the burden of doubt, he would have done better to restrict the margin of yesterday's victory. By making himself appear superhuman, he simply invited further suspicion. That is how far cycling has fallen.

By expelling Rasmussen from their ranks, and therefore from the Tour, the directors of the Rabobank team have taken a massive step towards the renewal that cycling needs if it is to survive in anything like its present form.

Their decision, which must have been intensely painful, aligns them with those teams anxious to step into a very different future.

It might be best for the organizers of the 2007 Tour, which began in London in a mood of such optimism less than three weeks ago, to follow suit by abandoning the race as a further gesture of intent. If it goes on to reach its scheduled conclusion in Paris on Sunday, then it should do so in a mood of contrition, soberly reflecting on the fact that, for the second year running, there will be no real winner. Except, perhaps, for the sport itself.

#57368 - 26 Jul 07 10:50 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: chewwyUK
...have a look at the speeds these guys ride at and the amount of ground they cover! For fuck sake ... I mean .. You cant tell me that Lance Armstrong never touched the stuff

Actually, when I was the same age as these guys, in my 20s, I was an "elite" level club rider (one notch below pro) and I know such speeds and the "ground they cover" are feasible. I've done it with nothing but good old-fashioned training -- more than 6 hours per day, 365 days/year -- and high-carb, high-calorie (around 7,000 calories/day) diet. These top pro riders are just that much more talented, stronger and have a naturally greater lung capacity (often expressed as 'VO2 max'). Armstrong, who I once was in a race with when he was just 16, has had his VO2 max measured off the charts. That was back when he was just a teenager. That's just something all the real greats have and you are either born with it or not. My VO2, for instance, was just above average. The point is, they don't need drugs to ride that far or that fast, but to be a serious TdF pro, they need to have some serious desire, work ethic and loads of natural, God-given talent and huge VO2 max. The cheaters just want that extra 5% edge to pull away from the pack.

Lance was the most tested human in history. They've never found a sniff of anything. When he battled back from cancer and was reduced to skin and bones, they gave him medically prescribed steroids during his recovery. However, these types of steroids are not considered "performance enhancing", and could not have had any effect two years down the road when he had recovered his form and started cycling again.

I'd strongly encourage you to find the book "It's Not About the Bike", which he co-authored. It's a real eye-opener and mind-blowing story -- mostly about his battles with cancer (the doctors only gave him a 10% chance of survival, let alone being able to ride again).

#57371 - 26 Jul 07 11:44 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

i still say he is a drug cheat .... So does the positive test sample he gave

#57378 - 26 Jul 07 14:26 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: chewwyUK
I am not sure why Drugs in cycling is such a shock. Drugs have been in this sport for ages ... have a look at the speeds these guys ride at and the amount of ground they cover! For fuck sake these guys even have medical procedures to increase the blood flow rates which can/does lead to them falling asleep and never waking up.

That's right. Cyclist's have a naturally low heart rate due to being very fit. When they take EPO (human growth hormone) it increases their red cell count and thus oxygen carrying ability. However as a side effect it thickens their blood making it more sluggish as it flows through the body. When people sleep their heart rate decreases. Combine all of these three in a cyclist's circulatory system and it means they are at risk of their hearts actually stopping when they have a kip. Some of them actually wire themselves up to heart monitors attached to alarm clocks and when their pulse dips into the danger levels the alarm clock goes off and wakes them up, increasing their pulse rates again AND STOPPING THEM FROM DYING. Several cyclists have actually snuffed it in their sleep in this way. Now how fucked up is that??!!

Edited by Roy's hair (26 Jul 07 14:28)

#57394 - 26 Jul 07 19:59 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: Roy's Hair]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Agreed Roy's Hair. Shocking stuff. But it's worse. I would look it up but I can't be arsed, but a recent survey found that one in 10 young cycling teens (or similar) had taken performance-enhancing drugs.

Save the children from this madness.

#57406 - 27 Jul 07 07:09 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon

???? Is this realy our Piss talking?

#57408 - 27 Jul 07 07:13 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Dilli
Quoting: Piss Salon

???? Is this realy our Piss talking?

no, that's our Piss Taking.

#57410 - 27 Jul 07 07:29 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

hmmmm -- I have a different view on drugs in sport. I say if people want to take drugs and put their life at risk then let them! I for one would love to see how far we can push the human body from the comfort of my sofa!

#57411 - 27 Jul 07 07:29 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

No doubt indulging yourself with a Wii

#57435 - 27 Jul 07 09:47 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Watching his gf play it, whilst giving guidance.

#57490 - 28 Jul 07 00:25 Re: Tour de Farce Indeed! [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
They should have a Special Olympic Games where athletes can take as many drugs as they want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop