Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56853 - 18 Jul 07 15:48 Free Speech in RI
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
This is good news for activists, reformists and insolent bloggers in Indonesia. It also is probably a very unnerving decision for the governments in Malaysia, Singapore, Myanmar et al -- all ASEAN countries whose populations may now demand similar freedoms. BUT... anyone willing to test the new law openly?? I hope this doesn't get stalled in the "we have to adjust all the relevant regulations first" stage...
I've always found it a strange little irony that RI was founded with and shaped by all these lofty, zealous anti-colonial ideas, but they decided to keep this particularly vile colonial law (see bolded bits) in place.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Court move opens up free speech

Tony Hotland, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

The Constitutional Court struck down on Tuesday articles in the Criminal Code banning speeches and writing expressing hostility toward or inciting hatred of the government, calling the centuries-old rulings detrimental to democracy.

The verdict arrived after the court also scrapped in December three articles that ruled burning pictures of the president and vice president and mocking them in public were crimes.

The code was introduced during the Dutch colonial period and was often used by former president Soeharto to stifle critics.

These articles were also used to silence and imprison activists by both the previous and current administrations.

"Articles 154 and 155 in the Criminal Code run against the 1945 Constitution's Article 28 (on freedom of speech), thus they no longer have legality," said court chairman Jimly Asshiddiqie.

The articles carried jail terms of up to seven years.

The court said the two articles were irrational because a citizen of an independent and sovereign nation could not possibly be hostile to the government, except in the case of treason.

"The code already has specified articles on treason," said Court judge H.A.S. Natabaya.

Furthermore, the court said the Dutch justice authorities were also against the inclusion of such articles in their criminal code.

It said the Dutch government considered the articles to be against the freedom of expression and thus were applicable only in a colonized area.

"History has shown that these articles were intended to be used against independence fighters during the Dutch colonization," said Natabaya.

The judicial review of the two articles was filed by Panji Utomo, a rights activist from Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam.

Panji was sentenced to three months in jail by the Aceh District Court for expressing hatred and insulting the government at a rally at the office of the Aceh and Nias Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Agency last year.

"This is a victory for friends who have been struggling to create freedom of speech. This (verdict) defines democracy," he said.

The court, however, did not issue any verdicts on articles 107, 160, 161, 207 and 208, for which reviews were also filed.

It said these articles were irrelevant to the points of constitutional rights damages that Panji had cited in his suit.

But the latest amendment of the Criminal Code drafted by the Justice and Human Rights Ministry still contains articles criminalizing such actions.

The ministry's director general of human rights Harkristuti Harkrisnowo said in a previous hearing of the trial that such articles could indeed be interpreted in multiple ways and that the government was considering revamping them.

#56862 - 18 Jul 07 18:10 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
SBY's a cunt.

Right, if I'm in jail tomorrow (or Kuku gets leaned on to reveal my identity) then we'll know.

Edited by Roy's hair (18 Jul 07 18:11)
Edit Reason: we're all going to hell in a tumbril cart

#56865 - 18 Jul 07 19:11 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: Roy's Hair]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Doubt it. Only a few overzealous officials have briefly detained (and in a couple of cases charged) students/activists for insulting SBY/Kalla. Mega had a much worse record - posing as a democrat/rights activist and then ordering police to arrest those who dared to publicly deface her portrait.

Generally can't get in trouble nowadays for online publishing of dissent/criticism (the exception being Yogyakarta blogger Herman Saksono, who was questioned by police after he posted an amusing doctored pic showing Suharto's son Bambang Trihatmodjo snogging SBY). The sad truth is that press freedom has done little to stop the bastards from being evil although at least pricks like Yusril Mahendra and Hamid Awaluddin are fired (but not tried and tossed in jail).

Quote:
Example:
Hendropriyono, Muchdi Purwopranjono and Bambang Irawan masterminded the 2004 murder or Munir. Hendro's mates even claimed Munir might have been killed by foreign intelligence agents seeking to make Indonesia look bad, or by NGOs jealous of his success. SBY and Kalla and incumbent police chief Sutanto and BIN head Syamsir Siregar are involved in a cover-up to protect Hendro and Muchdi. This is because they are cowardly, unethical and evil scum, who are much happier allowing Tommy Suharto to run free and launder his money after he murdered one of the country's few honest judges.

I wrote that sort of boring crap ad nauseam and no one ever bothered me... Strange that. Luckily I'm now enrolled at the Roy's Hair School of Witty Writing, so my future exposes of the bleedin obvious will make people sit up, take notice and shoot me. Or they'll just carry on snoozing and taking the occasional hit of shabu-2.

Edited by kenyeung (18 Jul 07 19:12)
Edit Reason: sucking hendro's cock

#56871 - 18 Jul 07 21:20 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Occasional?

#56931 - 19 Jul 07 09:40 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: Roy's Hair]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Quoting: Roy's hair
SBY's a cunt.

Right, if I'm in jail tomorrow (or Kuku gets leaned on to reveal my identity) then we'll know.

Indo government, they bunch of retarded ass.

#56935 - 19 Jul 07 11:19 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: emmajkt]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
[quote=emmajkt Indo government, they bunch of retarded ass. [/quote]

Hahahaha. I guess that means she is now free to criticize Australia laughingmagpie et al.

#56943 - 19 Jul 07 12:58 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

FREE SPEECH isn't entirely "Free", at least in London for these sick fucks! KUDOS TO THE UK JUDGES! During those same protests in Jakarta at the Danish Embassy, some of the banners and threats that were being hurled by card-carrying members of the Religion of Tolerance (ROT) were just as bad or worse. Instead of prison sentences those fuckwits have been hailed as "brave heroes" by fellow ROT followers in Indonesia -- the world's most populace ROT nation.

Anyway, I hope these UK ROT followers enjoy their hot oil treatments...

-----------------------------------------------------

3 men get 6 years in prison for Muhammad cartoon protest, another sentenced to 4 years

LONDON (AP): Four men were sentenced to prison Wednesday for offenses including incitement to murder during a protest against the publication of cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

Mizanur Rahman, 24, Umran Javed, 27, and Abdul Muhid 25, were convicted of incitement to murder and sentenced to six years each.

During a February 2006 protest in front of the Danish Embassy in London, they had called for the deaths of those responsible for the publication of the cartoons, prosecutors said.

A fourth defendant, Abdul Saleem, 32, was sentenced to four years in prison for inciting racial hatred.

The defendants, who were convicted in seperate trials, had argued that they were venting their rage at the cartoons, which they considered an assault on Islam, and did not intend to incite murder. But Judge Brian Barker called their actions "the complete opposite of peaceful protest."

"No one is entitled to propagate an ideology of destruction and excuse for breaking the law of the land."

The four were among a crowd of 200-300 demonstrators which coverged on the embassy, waving placards which read: "Massacre those who insult Islam" and "Prepare for the real Holocaust" andchanting: "UK, you will pay, Islam is on its way."

#56946 - 19 Jul 07 14:18 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Here's a YouTube video clip of a TV news report on the verdict and resulting protest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4VGV6D-vA

#56953 - 19 Jul 07 14:50 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Hot Oil Treatment, anyone?

#56955 - 19 Jul 07 14:55 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Magnificant beards.

#56959 - 19 Jul 07 15:23 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Now we can see why they can only get laid if/when they get to their "fantasy" heaven with all those virgins.... but what if:

#56960 - 19 Jul 07 15:28 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"How would you like your jihadist, Sir?"
"Lightly toasted on both sides, please."

#56973 - 19 Jul 07 21:02 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: riccardo]
Clift N. Anthony Offline
Member+

Loc: Mama Roma's
I'm Clift N. Anthony. a name to respect a name to fear

#56974 - 19 Jul 07 21:08 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: Clift N. Anthony]
Clift N. Anthony Offline
Member+

Loc: Mama Roma's
these sand niggers are worthless...
I meet one of these arabick broads at the restrant here, they come around brooklyn for who knows what, maybe to meet their men at the taxi pool and I say ,,, Whoa! Look out I think you sat in some cottage cheese,, ooo pardon me thats your ass.

#57009 - 20 Jul 07 11:26 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: Clift N. Anthony]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Malaysian press concerns after blogger's arrest

Posted: 17 July 2007 By: Robert Andrews

A blogger was arrested by police in Malaysia and faces criminal proceedings for violating the country's official secrets act after posting a link from his website.

Nathaniel Tan, 26, a web editor for Malaysia's opposition Parti Keadilan Rakyat party, was detained in Kuala Lumpur on Friday.

Initial reports said he was arrested on suspicion that a photomontage posted to his blog - depicting the deputy prime minister dining with a political adviser allegedly involved in a murder case - was a violation of the country's Communication and Multimedia Act.

Upon release from custody today Tan's lawyer said police believed a post the blogger wrote included a link to a page accusing a deputy minister, Johari Baharum, of accepting bribes.

According to his blog Jelas.info - through which friends had mobilised a candlelit vigil in support of Tan during his spell in prison - despite Tan's release proceedings are due to continue at a local high court on Wednesday.

Tan has been supported by journalists organisations including Paris-based Reporters Sans Frontiers, which labeled his detention "arbitrary", and by editors across South East Asia.

Malaysia's own Centre for Independent Journalism said the arrest "smacks of vengeance against bloggers and shows a total disregard for freedom of speech and expression guaranteed under the constitution".

South East Asian Press Aliance (SEAPA) reported: "Interestingly, on the same day Tan was remanded, national news agency Bernama reported that Johari had tasked the police to track down writers who 'spread lies through websites' - specifically those who direct criticisms against government leaders."

The case is the latest in which authorities have sought to shutter the views of bloggers.

Two Malaysian bloggers are currently being sued by the country's New Straits Times over criticisms of its news reporting, while another was arrested last week for posting an offensive photomontage, SEAPA said.

Tan's case echoes a 2005 episode in which a blogger was arrested for breaching the Secrets Act by linking to publicly accessible state website documents.

#57027 - 20 Jul 07 17:57 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: Piss Salon]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

I know you love them Malaysians Piss. Give us some more anti-Malay rants pronto

#57028 - 20 Jul 07 17:59 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
Hot Oil Treatment, anyone?

comedy stick on beards ahoy! that one third along has clearly been crimping his.

#57046 - 21 Jul 07 07:19 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Take this.....

Attachments
2356-Prophetbeard.jpg

#57055 - 21 Jul 07 09:05 Re: Free Speech in RI [Re: Dilli]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
lol good one dill, cute children though