Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56722 - 17 Jul 07 13:49 What habits do you take with you on returning home after having been in Indonesia?
i_beth Offline
Member++

Loc: NRW
- always bring tissue in public toilet?
- shaking hands instead of giving mwah mwah?

#56723 - 17 Jul 07 13:50 Re: What habits do you take with you on returning home after having been in Indonesia? [Re: i_beth]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Making sure that there is something making a constant noise in the background to remind me of motorbikes!

#56724 - 17 Jul 07 14:02 Re: What habits do you take with you on returning home after having been in Indonesia? [Re: Dilli]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
Unconsciously using words like "tertapi" and "begini" in English sentences when you're explaining something to a local, English speaker.

If you don't have another Indonesian speaker nearby listening (like a spouse), you'll never catch the momentary, dazed look on your English listener's face as the INA word flies by them, unrecognized confused.

#56725 - 17 Jul 07 14:23 Re: What habits do you take with you on returning home after having been in Indonesia? [Re: flingwing]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
home? where's that?

#56729 - 17 Jul 07 15:02 Re: What habits do you take with you on returning home after having been in Indonesia? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quite - Indonesia IS HOME. Not this fetid cell in which I dwell.

#56730 - 17 Jul 07 15:12 Re: What habits do you take with you on returning home after having been in Indonesia? [Re: kenyeung]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: kenyeung
Quite - Indonesia IS HOME. Not this fetid cell in which I dwell.

i feel sorry for you, freezing your tits off in a miserable bedsit in a miserable city surrounded by arrogant, shit-for-brains aussie dickheads.

#56731 - 17 Jul 07 15:34 Re: What habits do you take with you on returning home after having been in Indonesia? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
thanks kuk,.

#56732 - 17 Jul 07 15:41 Re: What habits do you take with you on returning home after having been in Indonesia? [Re: Choc_Cow]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Chocolatea
thanks kuk,.

you're welcome, dik.

#56737 - 17 Jul 07 17:39 Re: What habits do you take with you on returning home after having been in Indonesia? [Re: flingwing]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: flingwing
Unconsciously using words like "tertapi" and "begini" in English sentences when you're explaining something to a local, English speaker.

If you don't have another Indonesian speaker nearby listening (like a spouse), you'll never catch the momentary, dazed look on your English listener's face as the INA word flies by them, unrecognized confused.

"tertapi" ? I think that would get the Indonesians confused too.

Well Indo is home but when back in Blighty it would have to be the odd kretek now and again.

Moderator:  NetCop