Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56493 - 15 Jul 07 15:26 mocking terrorists
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Don't flatter terrorists with po-faced hush. Mock them

Taking the mickey out of these criminals is a serious necessity - by laughing at them we deny them all dignity

Marina Hyde
Saturday July 14, 2007
The Guardian

'You may laugh ..." People are fond of beginning sentences with these words when they mean quite the opposite. What follows tends to suggest that you really may not laugh at all. You may laugh, a person might say, but she's having it amputated next week. You may laugh, but the smell will never come out of that carpet.

I recently found myself tacitly reprimanded in this way after it had emerged that the chaps accused of crashing that environmentally unfriendly Jeep Cherokee into Glasgow airport had failed to measure the width of said sports utility vehicle, resulting in its not being able to get through the doors, as they are alleged to have intended it to. For heaven's sake, I said to an acquaintance. It's not exactly brain surgery.

Not five minutes later, it emerged that one of the suspects is in fact a brain surgeon.

Blimey, I gabbled on. You wouldn't want to be a former patient of his today, waking up and discovering that some guy who can't master a tape measure was the one tinkering around with your synapses a few months ago. You'd be marching straight back in and demanding to be opened up again. I want every piece of that halfwit's work checked over, you'd be screaming, by someone who's at least familiar with basic fricking metric units of distance.

You may laugh, my acquaintance replied, but think of the carnage they could have caused.

What a brilliant point, I was tempted to respond in the drippingly sarcastic tone normally reserved for discussions with the council's parking suspensions department. Do you know, until you said it, the thought simply hadn't occurred. After all, it's not as if one has spent much of the last six years dreading the advent of every news bulletin, on account of the fact that some fresh hell will have opened up somewhere in the world, and Hieronymus Boschean visions of whatever human misery is playing out in it will be beamed straight into one's living room, causing one's increasingly terrified self to wonder whether 9am is too early for a drink if one promises to include a mixer. Do excuse my failure to glimpse the bigger picture.

I didn't say this, alas. I took my rebuke. And this week, as the July 21 bomb plot trial came to an end, I suspect similar censure will attend any attempt to prick the sheer common or garden pomposity of your average terrorist. The discovery that most kitchen cabinets contain products capable of destroying an underground train is obviously hideous. But when some despicable bungler fails to detonate their chapatti flour, it is apparently not OK to mark either one's relief, or one's anger at this vile creature, by taking the mickey.

This blanket po-facedness can't be right. George Bush is fair game, but these idiots aren't? If seriousness is insisted upon, then one can seriously argue that it is precisely this sort of misplaced reverence that allows a murderer to become a soldier, or a freedom fighter, in the popular imagination.

Yet there is so much to find absurd. Consider, for instance, all those al-Qaida training videos. Why do wannabe terrorists bother scrambling on their tummies under all those rope nets in the shadow of the Hindu Kush? No disrespect, but all their eventual mission will involve is setting fire to their trainers in an aisle seat once the captain has switched the seatbelts sign off and the crew have commenced their in-flight service. Seems an awful waste of a fortnight in Pakistan to have spent it practising for some Junior Action Man contest that will never happen. The 72 virgins are guaranteed. You don't need to get all buff to attract them.

For a perfect example of the importance of mick-taking, we need look no further than Team America: World Police, the screamingly funny puppet movie by the creators of South Park, which in keeping with the latter TV show really strives for equal opportunities offensiveness. The film manages to insult everyone from the US government to Hans Blix, lefty Hollywood actors to people who really respect the musical Rent, and Kim Jong-il ... Oh, Kim Jong-il! I now can't see a picture of the Dear Leader without hearing him speak in the same voice as South Park's Cartman, screeching such gems as "When you see Arec Barrwin, you see the true ugriness of human nature!"

It doesn't make the old boy seem any less dangerous. But it removes his aura of what you might call evil dignity, the veneer that attaches itself to our real-life bad guys unless we laugh at them.

The worst thing we can do is confuse such debunking with a lack of respect for the victims of terrorism. Rather, it is a refusal to dignify the common criminals who killed them. Poking fun at terrorists is far more than gallows humour, valuable though that wonderfully human device is in times of such dehumanising danger. It is possible to simultaneously acknowledge how vile and dangerous these would-be murderers are, but to avoid flattering them with the kind of reverence you'd afford bleeding Delta Force. We may laugh. And we should.

marina.hyde@guardian.co.uk

#56495 - 15 Jul 07 15:31 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Hear! Hear! Enough with this PC crud about not wanting to offend "them" lest we become targets... MOCK THE STINKING LOSERS!

#56507 - 15 Jul 07 19:14 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Marina Hyde
For a perfect example of the importance of mick-taking, we need look no further than Team America: World Police.
/.../
Oh, Kim Jong-il! I now can't see a picture of the Dear Leader without hearing him speak in the same voice as South Park's Cartman, screeching such gems as "When you see Arec Barrwin, you see the true ugriness of human nature!"

Roy's Hair or Kenneth: Are these available on DVD in Jakarta?

#56508 - 15 Jul 07 19:16 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Riccardo,

I know what drove this article, it was the way we dealt with it!What was described was our normal way off getting around our business despite the worst.Apply it to the rest of the world and it just might work.

Funnily enough, we manage it without rhetoric, suppose thats just the way we are!

#56511 - 15 Jul 07 19:31 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Dilli

What was described was our normal way of getting around our business despite the worst.

What part are you referring to?
This response: "You may laugh, my acquaintance replied, but think of the carnage they could have caused."

OR this response: "Blimey, I gabbled on. You wouldn't want to be a former patient of his today, waking up and discovering that some guy who can't master a tape measure was the one tinkering around with your synapses a few months ago."

What this Marina gal is saying, is that she is in the minority in her own country right now. She is saying let's all mock the jerks, while her fellow citizens are telling her to watch her mouth (read: cut the rhetoric) and being overly "po-faced" about it and trying to avoid confronting the issue.

So which are "we"?

#56512 - 15 Jul 07 19:38 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ric,

You may have missed my point! It has always been Scotlands way of dealing with disaster by making a joke / mocking the incident!

Some find it either sick/disturbing or refreshing, but it seems to be inherant in our character,

The world would get along better with a bit more of it!

#56513 - 15 Jul 07 19:44 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Okay, now I see what side of that equation you put yourself on, but then if all of Scotland ('we') is doing that, then who is Ms Hyde directing this rebuke at? The English? The Welsh? Why (or who) are the people reprimanding her when she mocks them and being "po-faced"?

#56514 - 15 Jul 07 19:59 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I think she is trying to be Global Ric.

#56515 - 15 Jul 07 20:38 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
It is Great Britain as a whole (with the possible exception of the Welsh)-

To even comment on "the stinking losers" gives them the attention that they crave .

It is quite enlighting to hear so much comment about these events from people so detached from "home" - I haven't had one of my periodic Glasgow visits since the last happenings but I have been in London - and to be honest there is little or no foundation to the original article - everything that needs to be said has been said, and more to the point there are laws in place that prevent us saying any more.

The woman is living in a bubble if she doesn't think there is open mockery and condemnation on the streets - frankly she is talking crap .

#56522 - 15 Jul 07 21:04 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Well, she is Engerlish!

#56523 - 15 Jul 07 21:04 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

OOPS Lost the heid there!

#56525 - 15 Jul 07 21:07 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: riccardo
[quote=Marina Hyde]For a perfect example of the importance of mick-taking, we need look no further than Team America: World Police.Roy's Hair or Kenneth: Are these available on DVD in Jakarta?

'Team America: World Police' has been on sale in Glodok since its US release and illegal duplication in 2004. Last time I was in Glodok (late May) it was still widely available. It tends to get put on shelves/sections with kiddy movies/cartoons (along with 'Fritz the Cat') cos at first glance to an idiot, it may look like just a silly puppet movie. Mostly a great film - especially the bit with Kim Jong Il's panthers. I had mentioned this film to you a few years ago, and promised to lend it to you - but was always too drunk/Jewish to pass it on (did lend it to our wedlocked Canadian friend though. And your other Canadian pal Gonzo enjoyed it too). Easy to find it in Jakarta still, otherwise Roy's Hair should have a copy. I bought an original version of it last week due to the many extras that weren't on any of the copies I'd bought in Jakarta. Bizarrely, part of the hard-core puppet sex was cut from the Indonesian pirated versions.

#56527 - 15 Jul 07 21:13 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I got the wood on wood version here!

One of my favourites, especially the opening sequence in the desert!

Recently surpassed by Disaster - The Movie

#56529 - 15 Jul 07 21:25 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

But wait, if the Brits are the "only" ones that do this sort of mick-taking, how in the heck is it possible for the American SouthPark boys to also be so darn good at it? I mean if it's so wholly beyond anything anyone except a Brit can pull off, how are these silly little American cartoonists (and millions others like them in every culture and country around the world) doing it?

#56530 - 15 Jul 07 21:26 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

xxsakes Ric, go to bed! I am!

#56532 - 15 Jul 07 21:33 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

In fact the Jews are the best at doing it, and not only that, they do it in dozens of different languages and cultures, where ever there is Jewish community within a country. I'd bet this gal Hyde is a good Jew, just like Borat and Beckham and Kenneth.

#56533 - 15 Jul 07 21:34 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

"When you see Arec Barrwin, you see the true ugriness of human nature!"

#56534 - 15 Jul 07 21:56 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Dilli]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Yes, plenty of wood in Indo versions of Team America, but there's even more splintering sex in the new 'uncut' version I've got.

Surpassed by 'Disaster! The Movie'? that B-level spoof of two B-movies (Deep Impact and Amrageddon)? Nope, hardly anything original. Best bit was the angry squirrels. Get more laughs out of a disc of Family Guy or Playmate of the Apes.

And nothing was as awful as 'Strangers With Candy', which featured the male geek character Megawati Sukarnoputri sucking off a Scottish horse.

Edited by kenyeung (15 Jul 07 22:17)
Edit Reason: inflation

#56537 - 15 Jul 07 23:01 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: kenyeung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Well regardless of who has the best culture suited to mocking, all this mocking has resulted in a rise of their offense level up one color to yellow (and pvt whingemeister is doing likewise ... funny how their offense level and his seem to be sooooo similar)

#56540 - 16 Jul 07 00:45 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Bindun - fuck me you have even added a copyright to a rip-off

#56543 - 16 Jul 07 04:53 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

#56545 - 16 Jul 07 04:58 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Love the copyright

#56570 - 16 Jul 07 10:30 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: kenyeung]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Quoting: kenyeung
Quoting: riccardo
[quote=Marina Hyde]For a perfect example of the importance of mick-taking, we need look no further than Team America: World Police.Roy's Hair or Kenneth: Are these available on DVD in Jakarta?

'Team America: World Police' has been on sale in Glodok since its US release and illegal duplication in 2004. Last time I was in Glodok (late May) it was still widely available. It tends to get put on shelves/sections with kiddy movies/cartoons (along with 'Fritz the Cat') cos at first glance to an idiot, it may look like just a silly puppet movie. Mostly a great film - especially the bit with Kim Jong Il's panthers. I had mentioned this film to you a few years ago, and promised to lend it to you - but was always too drunk/Jewish to pass it on (did lend it to our wedlocked Canadian friend though. And your other Canadian pal Gonzo enjoyed it too). Easy to find it in Jakarta still, otherwise Roy's Hair should have a copy. I bought an original version of it last week due to the many extras that weren't on any of the copies I'd bought in Jakarta. Bizarrely, part of the hard-core puppet sex was cut from the Indonesian pirated versions.

It is available at Pasar Festival at the moment. The one closest the BCA ATM. Also ask for 'Disaster'. Extremely silly but extremely gross. I got if from Dilli, so be warned.

#56571 - 16 Jul 07 10:34 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli
Riccardo,

I know what drove this article, it was the way we dealt with it!What was described was our normal way off getting around our business despite the worst.Apply it to the rest of the world and it just might work.

Funnily enough, we manage it without rhetoric, suppose thats just the way we are!

Are you implying we should all be more Scottish? Good grief. What an idea.

We should all put on dresses, drink a shitload of alcohol and start brawling? And play football badly? Hasn't Scotland only recently thrown of the shackles of colonization? Not much of an example I'm afraid.

#56572 - 16 Jul 07 10:34 Re: mocking terrorists [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

And of course I left out sheep worrying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop