Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56407 - 14 Jul 07 19:22 Working in Iraq
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
Anyone here have a relative or friend working in Iraq? I'm trying to get an idea of the relative dangers working in "secure" sites there.

Also, if you've got some first- or second-hand knowledge of pay scales and "bennies", that'd be good to hear. I'm going to use Google in a bit, but things you might have heard from reliable sources would be better.

Thanks.

#56408 - 14 Jul 07 20:59 Re: Working in Iraq [Re: flingwing]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Been there done it!

What discipline?

#56420 - 14 Jul 07 21:31 Re: Working in Iraq [Re: Dilli]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Thanks. I'll PM you.

#56427 - 15 Jul 07 04:09 Re: Working in Iraq [Re: flingwing]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Been there done it too -

I wouldn't go back there again if my government had just invaded the place .

Flingwing - I took you to be a bule of some distinction yet you ask for salary and perdiem rates - what do you do ? flower arranging or extraction of petroleum products ? I'm led to believe that it makes a difference . For my part I do my part in slowly killing the locals but you won't get me there again for less than $1200 a day , 7 days a week, with substantial daily allowances and agreed expenses for retrieving my head should they care to Bigglyize me .

In actual fact $1200 a day is still really not enough - I'd rather go to China for less, so it must be bad .

#56451 - 15 Jul 07 10:15 Re: Working in Iraq [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Fling, PM me the e-mail address you want the information sent to.

I have a copy of my original 2003 contract through Halliburton and the US Army Corps of Engineers which is likely to be a similar contractual document for working in Iraq.

Financially, I think you have to deal with that one on your own. We were charging US$ 2,500 a day, of which I got US$ 1,000, but bear in mind you may have to insure yourself and that is a fucking huge premium (if you can get anyone to take you on)

I only worked in Baghdad prior to the invasion, afterwards I was in Basrah, flying in from Kuwait so I cannot say much about the security situation in the north. There is another site member here currently working in Baghdad, I'll seek out his contact details and post them to you.

Best of Luck! (PS, if you have a past criminal record in the UK or USA, forget it, the security checks are very thorough)

#56453 - 15 Jul 07 10:30 Re: Working in Iraq [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Forgot to mention, how's your health. Medical is pretty stringent. Unbelieveably I passed, don't know how the fuck that happened!

#56491 - 15 Jul 07 15:07 Re: Working in Iraq [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
One of the "other site member"('s) here was actually employed to drop bombs on the place, but he is pretty well qualified to tell you about the possible dangers you may face.

Joking aside, if you are going for top money in the best of conditions then it might be worth while, but if you are going under normal contract conditions .......

#56505 - 15 Jul 07 18:57 Re: Working in Iraq [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
One of the "other site member"('s) here was actually employed to drop bombs on the place, but he is pretty well qualified to tell you about the possible dangers you may face.

Joking aside, if you are going for top money in the best of conditions then it might be worth while, but if you are going under normal contract conditions .......

I figured, and that's why I asked: What are the "best conditions?" and what's the "top [and bottom] money?". I've been Googling a lot to find some numbers, but haven't run across anything but large pay ranges (low $60K - high $200K+). What I need is pay levels for specific jobs or functions.

Logically, the first concern should be security - stayin' alive grin. Except for the occasional(?) mortar attack, I think working in the "Green Zone" may safer than working in some areas of Washington DC. But if your job entails moving between Coalition bases/areas in Iraq, how dangerous is that? Obviously, it's dangerous, but how dangerous and what areas are the worst?

Is there any chance of me contacting that "other site member" who was employed there? Was he military or civilian?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by flingwing (15 Jul 07 18:59)

Moderator:  NetCop