Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56144 - 12 Jul 07 09:21 What is the truth?
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
Australia is a great place, but after a while i notice something about the howard government and the current issue. Went to brisbane last week, and they have so many news related to aboriginal people. And most of it is crime news, its obvious Aboriginal community have dysfunctional issue. Some people told me, white australian being very mean and unfair to the aboriginal for many many years. Talking about hypocrasy, john Howard 'wisely' told the Japaneese to apologised to Comfort women all over the world including Indonesia. The Japs, of course till now still denied they raping so many women during WWII..

If its true, people who called themselves Australian, owed the native to apology plus give them more rights. If its true them basically not so much different withe the japaneese.

I'm not trying to argue here, just discuss. Consider myself i am a student and i'm pretty curious one. Anyone want to enlighten me?

#56145 - 12 Jul 07 09:36 Re: What is the truth? [Re: emmajkt]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
If its true, people who called themselves Australian, owed the native to apology plus give them more rights.

GIVE THEM MORE RIGHTS,Enlighten us all what rights have Australian People,and i include everyone from the decendents of the original settlers to the \\ boat people// of today, what rights have we got that the original inhabitants ( ABORIGINALS ) have not

Q...And what do you call a boomerang that does not return to the thrower

A... a stick

#56146 - 12 Jul 07 09:37 Re: What is the truth? [Re: emmajkt]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
I thought they do have equal rights like everyone else -if not more-..

#56147 - 12 Jul 07 09:38 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Choc_Cow]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
They do in theory, but you have to get them sober enough to understand this!

#56151 - 12 Jul 07 09:48 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Choc_Cow]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Quoting: Chocolatea

hey sexy cow! i thought you are out sliding your snowboards on the promenade! is Tandy Newton an Aborigin?

btw, your boobs montok sekali! ..and that red tounge, omg!! stop licking will ya..!

#56152 - 12 Jul 07 09:49 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Dilli]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

they have a laser treatment to help pople stop smoking. Maybe soon they will have one too, to stop alchohol addiction.

#56154 - 12 Jul 07 09:50 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Choc_Cow]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Wd, that's not me licking, that must be your pet under the table.

#56155 - 12 Jul 07 09:57 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Choc_Cow]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

they have a laser treatment to help pople stop smoking. Maybe soon they will have one too, to stop alchohol addiction.

Laser treatment? How the fuck does that work, burns your liver and lungs out?

#56157 - 12 Jul 07 10:04 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Choc_Cow]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

And in a 'little Black' Australia history, they took the land, even separates aboriginal babies from their parents and gave it away to white family. It caused Depression, imbalance and lack of good structure of aboriginal people and other unfair treatments, that is why a lot of them drown themselves to alcohol and became very cynical. Shocking for me, as a foreign student here, its like taking the beautiful picture of australian people. Beautiful nation, hmmm.. not really

#56158 - 12 Jul 07 10:04 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Dilli]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

um don't know.. i was just saying 'MAYBE'.

Nice thought for you isn't it Dilli. Imagine what will you do with your spare time if you're alchohol free!!

#56160 - 12 Jul 07 10:30 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Choc_Cow]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

yes you are correct australia under some governments took the children away from their parents in an attempt to bring them up in the so called christian ,civilised way,how ever the fact that there are so many of the aboriginal race that rely on alcoholic beverage,s to make it through their live,s cannot be directly contributed to the stolen generation, and the fact that most of the unemployed,jailed,assulted,downtrodden,homeless,alcohol dependent,poor are aboriginal is due directly to the people them selves. No-one forces a person to be thus and Australia being the modern day land of milk and honey there is no reason for any person to be in this situation. And to say sorry to them well all i can say is fuck that, i wasnt responsile for all the crap that went on b4 my time, but when the aboriginal race apologise to my wife for breaking into her car and stealing her possesions that her and i worked for,then and only then will i even contemplate an apology for the white race trying to better their lives.

#56162 - 12 Jul 07 10:37 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Diyu]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
The arrival of white settlers (some might call them invaders) in Australia in 1788 inevitably led to the collapse of many aspects of aboriginal culture. For about a century, whites in various places poisoned and killed aborigines, regarding them as primitive savages and a dying race. Some whites raped/sexually exploited aboriginal women. Changing social attitudes and native welfare legislation in the first half of the 20th century slightly improved the situation, though taking aboriginal babies/children away from their families is now regarded as having been a bad thing. While the granting of full citizenship to aborigines in 1967 and anti-racism legislation were obviously good things, Australian governments decided to unofficially compensate for the past mistreatment by providing aborigines with hefty welfare payments (and later, land rights). The welfare payments led to an upsurge in aboriginal consumption of alcohol. While whites come from races long accustomed to boozing, the physiology/mentality of aborigines (and the absence of alcohol from most of their history) has made them more susceptible to the effects of alcohol and other forms of drug abuse (petrol sniffing). The key crime of Australian governments over the past 40 years has been handing out aboriginal welfare without providing aboriginals with work to do/businesses to develop (although this is tough). A government apology won't change much, though the Australian Police could apologize for killing aborigines in custody. But for now - aborigines continue to get money for nothing and little else, hence there are headlines like this:

Elder admits child sex for petrol
July 11, 2007 02:54pm
AN Aboriginal elder who traded petrol for sex with young girls aged 13 and 14 has pleaded guilty to sex charges.

Winkie Ingomar, 52, of Yalata, about 700km west of Port Augusta, today pleaded guilty in a Supeme Court in Port Augusta to five counts of unlawful sexual intercourse.

Mr Ingomar admitted sexually abusing three girls between January and June last year at the remote community.

Edited by kenyeung (12 Jul 07 10:38)

#56166 - 12 Jul 07 11:01 Re: What is the truth? [Re: kenyeung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The whites may have treated the "abbos" poorly in decades past and still there are problems, but there are policies to fix them and general understanding that they ought to be treated equally. However, the other immigrants I've seen, whether they're from Greece, Lebanon or East Asia, ALL show a total disdain for the aboriginals and treat them as sub-human. It's actually very disgusting.

#56167 - 12 Jul 07 11:04 Re: What is the truth? [Re: riccardo]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

How are the original inhabitants of Indo treated. If my memory serves me well they are also looked down upon by the general population

#56169 - 12 Jul 07 11:06 Re: What is the truth? [Re: kenyeung]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Quote:
"The arrival of white settlers (some might call them invaders) in Australia in 1788 inevitably led to the collapse of many aspects of aboriginal culture. For about a century, whites in various places poisoned and killed aborigines, regarding them as primitive savages and a dying race. Some whites raped/sexually exploited aboriginal women. Changing social attitudes and native welfare legislation in the first half of the 20th century slightly improved"

If you say since 1788 and it improved in first half of the 20 century, if i'm not wrong that would mean they tortured, rape and killed the aboriginal for more than 250 years.
Can you imagine psychological impact in any community to be treated like that? apology is simple thing, might not that important but it will mean 'the acceptance' admit and learn from the history.... I'm not saying being drunken and criminal aboriginal its nothing to do with their stupid personal choice, but being part of one community is describe 'who you are'...

When you are part of dodgy and not so respectable community, what would you gonna do? What will you be? You can never really choose or have some knowledge to do what's better for you.

Its like Indonesia had been Collonised by dutch for 350 years, and their politic is to separate the intellegent and uneducated people, between the 'ningrat' from common people, or even separate the chinese as a trader, so they are not mix to avoid rebellion. You see what dutch did? its still happend till now, all those foundation for hundred years can't dissapear just like that...

#56170 - 12 Jul 07 11:21 Re: What is the truth? [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: riccardo
there are policies to fix them

Driving from Melbourne to central Australia last month I saw little evidence of policies to improve the lot of aborigines - just many of them boozing or zombified doing nothing in dusty little outback towns.

Quoting: emmajkt
since 1788 and it improved in first half of the 20 century, if i'm not wrong that would mean they tortured, rape and killed the aboriginal for more than 250 years.

No, the worst of the poisonings and killings took place between 1788 and 1890. Torture? Dunno about that.

Edited by kenyeung (12 Jul 07 11:21)

#56173 - 12 Jul 07 11:26 Re: What is the truth? [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

For a concensed Wiki entry on Killing and Persecution of Australian Aborigines see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians

#56174 - 12 Jul 07 11:27 Re: What is the truth? [Re: kenyeung]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

hmmm, the exact period of time. bit of information... thanx kenny

#56175 - 12 Jul 07 11:27 Re: What is the truth? [Re: kenyeung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Well, they allowed Kathie Freeman to join their drug ... er sports.. program so she could win a medal for the home folk, so things are definitely improving.

#56217 - 12 Jul 07 14:40 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Choc_Cow]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Nice thought for you isn't it Dilli. Imagine what will you do with your spare time if you're alchohol free!!

I'd probably have more time for the pub! May also find time to fit you in for a quickie!

#56219 - 12 Jul 07 14:54 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Dilli]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

For a white colonial home steader to actually shoot an aboriginal back then he had to have either a bloody good excuse or a shooting license which cost him 1/3d, So the aboriginal didnt have it all his way, Cost the farmer to ya know. I think that law was quashed early this century

#56227 - 12 Jul 07 17:36 Re: What is the truth? [Re: emmajkt]
laughingmagpie Offline

Loc: jakarta
Considering the genocide the Indonesians have committed against the Timorese, Acehnese and Papuans only recently not to mention the blind eye towards muslim crimes against non muslims, I don't think anyone from here is in a position to throw stones at the Australians on this or any other social issue.

#56228 - 12 Jul 07 17:50 Re: What is the truth? [Re: laughingmagpie]
Queenie Offline
Member++

Loc: Earth
Quoting: laughingmagpie
Considering the genocide the Indonesians have committed against the Timorese, Acehnese and Papuans only recently not to mention the blind eye towards muslim crimes against non muslims, I don't think anyone from here is in a position to throw stones at the Australians on this or any other social issue.

Well said!!!

#56229 - 12 Jul 07 18:46 Re: What is the truth? [Re: Diyu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Diyu
How are the original inhabitants of Indo treated. If my memory serves me well they are also looked down upon by the general population

Particularly the noodle munching bacon crunching Chinese - unfortunately the resentment of "pribumi" towards economic migrants like the chinese will only subside when people stop make silly comments about the chinese being superior - drive around most towns and you will see just as many corrupt/poor/lasy (coret yg tidak perlu) chinese as you will pribumi - the only difference being the shape of their eyes .

In the UK there is a growing resentment for the Jilbabbed non-integrated imports from central and eastern europe , the middle east and pakistan , not because the colour of their skin offends, but because these guys have no intention of integrating and actually feel that we should be the ones changing -

#56231 - 12 Jul 07 19:00 Re: What is the truth? [Re: laughingmagpie]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: laughingmagpie

Doesn't work like that manuk-gagak-tersenyum, you can't come the "he who is without sin cast the first stone " cobblers, That is like saying that it was OK for the Germans to invade Poland because they switched on their hazard warning lights - hardly relevant .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  NetCop