Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#56012 - 10 Jul 07 10:54 Suharto lawsuit
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
HO HUM, another doomed, half-assed attempt at justice to appease the activists and trick the people into thinking this gov't is actually concerned about corruption.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$44

Pay US$1.3b, Suharto: Indon suit

Prosecutors say the former President used charity to steal billions from the state

Tuesday July 10, 2007

Indonesian prosecutors have filed a civil suit against former President Suharto, seeking more than US$1.5 billion in damages and funds he allegedly stole during his three decades in power.

The civil suit is an attempt to show Indonesia's revived efforts to retrieve some of the billions Suharto supposedly stashed away during his 32-year rule, which ended almost a decade ago.

Because of poor health, a criminal case against the 86-year-old was abandoned in May last year, triggering widespread criticism of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who was elected on a platform of anti-corruption.

As is the case in a civil suit, Suharto will not be required to appear in court, and will instead be represented by his lawyers.

State prosecutors yesterday filed the suit in the South Jakarta District Court, asking for the return of US$440 million allegedly misappropriated, and 10 trillion rupiah in damages.

The lawsuit alleges that Suharto, through the Supersemar Foundation that he chaired, stole the money - much of it from the state - and gave it to companies linked to his family. The foundation is named as a co-defendant.

"The suit was filed because evidence has been found that the funds gathered by Suharto and the foundation were not only used for scholarships ... but also used for other purposes," said prosecutor Dachmer Munthe. Prosecutors also demanded the foundation's headquarters be seized.

Supersemar was founded in 1974 to collect donations from Indonesia's private and public sectors to offer scholarships to students. So far, it has awarded almost 800,000 scholarships. But because it is a private foundation, its fund management records have never been made public.

The director of civil suits at the Attorney General's Office, Agung Yoseph Suardi, told Koran Tempo that money from Supersemar was used to bankroll several companies - some now defunct - owned by the Suharto clan.

Suharto stepped down amid unrest in 1998. Since then, he has lived at his family residence in a Jakarta suburb (and is a neighbor and confidante of Mr. Piss Salon). In recent years, he has been in and out of hospitals.

A successful case against him is widely seen as a symbolic step towards improving Indonesia's dismal corruption record.

Danang Widoyoko, from Indonesia Corruption Watch, said winning a civil suit against Suharto would be tougher than a criminal case. But it was the last option for the justice system to get Suharto to return funds he is said to have embezzled.

#56013 - 10 Jul 07 10:57 Re: Suharto lawsuit [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Corruption watchdog Transparency International in 2004 dubbed Suharto the world’s foremost kleptocrat, ahead of Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines and Mobutu Sese Seko, former leader of what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo. Transparency International estimated Suharto and his family amassed a fortune of over US$35 billion!

#56030 - 10 Jul 07 14:04 Re: Suharto lawsuit [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Must have been big news at the time of Marco Polo.

#56066 - 11 Jul 07 06:46 Re: Suharto lawsuit [Re: riccardo]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
frustrating it is.... that old man need to be punish, why is it no one brave enough to jailed him and his family. And put them and their clan under guillotine knive, talking about revolution. Bah, i'm over it... the corruption and the cowardness of indo mass bigger than their revolution spirit. Just wait and see

#56068 - 11 Jul 07 07:07 Re: Suharto lawsuit [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: riccardo
Transparency International estimated Suharto and his family amassed a fortune of over US$35 billion!

Unless I'm wrong, and I am never wrong (except when it comes to cat superstitions, women's tits and the hidden ownership of Indonesian tobacco plantations), Transparency International estimated the Suharto clan's wealth at between $15 billion and $35 billon. Not "over $35 billion". It was Time magazine that in 1999 reported that "at least $73 billion" had passed through the Suharto family's hands from 1966-1998. Time estimated the family's remaining fortune at $15 billion.

But yes, there is as much chance of Suharto returning his ill-gotten wealth and his children being properly jailed as there is of John Lennon revealing his death was a hoax and Megawati Sukarnoputri posing nude for Indonesian Playboy.

Edited by kenyeung (11 Jul 07 07:21)
Edit Reason: I was wrong about Megawati

#56069 - 11 Jul 07 07:16 Re: Suharto lawsuit [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I thought Mega had already done Playboy!

#56222 - 12 Jul 07 15:19 Re: Suharto lawsuit [Re: kenyeung]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand
(except when it comes to cat superstitions, [img]http://[/img]

Attachments
2242-image0111111.jpg

Moderator:  NetCop