Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55904 - 09 Jul 07 12:48 Live Earth
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
in case you guys missed the green concerts yesterday, here is the website! http://liveearth.msn.com
great website! and it has become the largest viewed entertaiment website in the history. my buddy and his team produced and running it! he just texted me that he is still at the studio and working on it, that's why he couldn't hangout for a drink tonite! arshole!!

so, lets make a change on earth people! do something make it greener. i did a few today; i cut my shower from 45 min down to 20 min, thats more than half. i drink water instead of hot tea, separated all bottles from the junks (yikes!), put water on plants, i walked to trader joe's to get some blue berries...i didn't drive a lot today. damm..i'm being so good! smile

#55905 - 09 Jul 07 12:58 Re: Live Earth [Re: juminten]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Did you know the carbon footprint created by those that took part in Live Earth is unlikely to be offset by the supposed Global message it purported to send out!

#55906 - 09 Jul 07 13:02 Re: Live Earth [Re: Dilli]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

yea..but as long as it starts some awareness we are good, well better!

#55936 - 09 Jul 07 14:34 Re: Live Earth [Re: juminten]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I may have posted this before as it was written about a year ago, however, seems like just the place for a re-post!

Flying high above Sumatra from Jakarta, all looks good. Far below are dense forests, seemingly green, blue sky above yet, below there is a hint of haze down below. This is no tropical mist, this is the real and ever present smoke from illegal land reclamation, illegal logging and in general, corruption and carelessness by individuals who wish to line their pockets in the short term, rather than think about the legacy of this country for their children.

Hotspots abound, and these are not of the wi-fi kind. These are burning areas of land where the ground itself smoulders, often unattended for months, slowly and pervasively destroying all in its path, displacing the older inhabitants of this area, the irreplaceable wildlife, often forcing them into direct conflict with the originator of this problem – men.

Truth is Sumatra has two precious sources of wealth, Oil & Wood, both are running out, however, in a perverse way, the exploitation of Oil has not been as bad as the exploitation of the raw jungle.

All over the world, greenies claim the oil industry shows no care for the environment, raping and pillaging for the returns available from those reservoirs dotted around the globe.

In Sumatra, that may have been the case many years ago, however, Oil companies have stepped forward and are assuming a mantle of protector and, to an extent caring landlord on their concessions with major attempts having been made to help the land recover from the earlier invasions made when the wells in the area were first drilled.

Firstly, the jungle may return if left unbothered, you only need a little bit of jungle to allow this re-entry, the jungle will and does crawl back.

Secondly, only clear the minimum area required for the business at hand. Any more is a waste.

Thirdly, after what work you need done is finished, tidy up. Don’t leave your shit lying around and keep these nasty chemicals to a minimum.

Le Voila, ecologically friendly oil (well sort of)

On the other hand, become a logger, supplying the myriad of paper mills, pulp processors and home grown cottage wood working industries. Slash, cut, burn annihilate, destroy and don’t replant.

Many a quick fortune has been made in Sumatra, however after the logging and no replanting the question was asked what should be done with the empty land. The great idea was “let’s grow Palms for Palm Oil to supply the palm oil factories that we will build” . Oh dear, look at all these tree roots, better do something with them, ah- another idea, burn them.

The rainforest soil is more like peat than earth, centuries of arboreal foliage has fallen and deposited itself on the forest mat and has become almost a fuel.

Try telling that to the semi evolved simian sitting next to me on this flight who has taken all the space, farts, burps, slurps and spills his Nasi Goreang over me, narrowly missing the lap top and then, with a flourish of his toothpick, gives a second chance to cover me in his slime.

Truth be, he is proud that he has made money in the way described above, what he lacks in manners he makes up for in pointless boasting about how many square kilometres of palm he has, how he obtained this acreage and the disdain he holds for the forestry officials who ask him to tidy up his act, however, many a blind eye is turned with fat brown envelopes.

Which is what brought me onto the subject on the first place?

The tranquillity that you seem to see below is in fact hundreds of square acres of straight lines comprising Palm trees to satisfy the aforementioned industry. As this industry grows, more acreage is required and more slash and burn takes place leaving the atmosphere above what used to be pristine rainforest more like the streets of Jakarta with these clouds of ash drifting throughout South East Asia and polluting other nations into the bargain.

As with all peoples in the world, Indonesians need to make money, however, after many many years of corruption at both major and minor levels, the mechanics of normal business routine and the wheels of commerce have been so badly tarnished that without some form of grease they will seize and nothing will happen at all.

This grease has prevented the formation of any form of sustainable resource group as the brown envelopes are bigger carrots to businessmen and officials than the threatened snarl from public bodies trying to change both the mind set of the perpetrators and save a huge natural resource at the same time.

Later, on my way to meetings within the heart of Riau Province, the landscape turned almost desert like. Yes there were palm oil trees, laid out like parade soldiers, however, there was an arid quality to the road and forest behind, dust clouds blew, smoke permeated everywhere and the few last arboreal giants stood naked, without leaves, merely waiting, towering above the non native palms to fall to their graves, because in truth they were already dead, and worse, unlikely to ever return.

If the Indonesians cannot see what is happening, or worse, are not aware that their children will only have memories of these once great jungles, I do indeed shed a tear for them, however, I cannot forgive them as what they are taking from the world is not theirs to take.

#55950 - 09 Jul 07 17:33 Re: Live Earth [Re: Dilli]
Shesca Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
My only comment is: yes we are very much well aware of the damage that is being done to our forest AND to our entire natural resources And what's worse is the fact that we do also know what the consequences are. Who to blame here? Us? I'd say, in a way. But of course not 100%.Im sure most of you know the answer to this.

Edited by Shesca (09 Jul 07 17:34)

#55954 - 09 Jul 07 18:38 Re: Live Earth [Re: juminten]
Scotty Offline

Loc: S.E.A.
i cut my shower from 45 min down to 20 min, thats more than half.

[/quote]

I'd like to know what you do in the shower that takes 45 minutes.

#55958 - 09 Jul 07 18:58 Re: Live Earth [Re: Scotty]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Shaving. Like all Balinese women, she's quite hirsute. As for Earth Day, great to see that sponsors Chevrolet and Chrysler have stopped producing their gas guzzling SUVs.

#55961 - 09 Jul 07 19:22 Re: Live Earth [Re: Scotty]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Scotty

I'd like to know what you do in the shower that takes 45 minutes. [/quote]

Using electrical appliances in the shower is not only dangerous but unenvironmentally friendly too .

#55999 - 10 Jul 07 09:48 Re: Live Earth [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

capt, i don't do those electrical toys! swear never!

#56001 - 10 Jul 07 09:50 Re: Live Earth [Re: Scotty]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Scotty

I'd like to know what you do in the shower that takes 45 minutes. [/quote]

self molestation and staring at keny's nude pic in the same time!

#56002 - 10 Jul 07 10:00 Re: Live Earth [Re: kenyeung]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: kenyeung
Shaving. Like all Balinese women, she's quite hirsute. As for Earth Day, great to see that sponsors Chevrolet and Chrysler have stopped producing their gas guzzling SUVs.

what are you talking about! i was born hairless and smooth all over but my head! yes as a balinese i got a very long hair down my ass!

#56006 - 10 Jul 07 10:18 Re: Live Earth [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Quoting: Dilli

If the Indonesians cannot see what is happening, or worse, are not aware that their children will only have memories of these once great jungles, I do indeed shed a tear for them, however, I cannot forgive them as what they are taking from the world is not theirs to take.

Probably some 90% of Indonesians would disagree on that last point. There's something in the Constitution or Pancasila or some other tool of indoctrination ('Tanah Air', 'Sabang to Merauke' etc..) going back to the early Sukarno years when they were "nationalizing" (read: stealing) businesses and property from the Dutch-Indonesians and Chinese-Indonesians. The "asli" people -- from the TNI generals down to the little naked village kids -- sincerely believe deep in their bones that indeed ALL this land and water in the archipelago is THEIRS for their USE as they see fit and nobody else's concern.

I think I also see what Shesca's getting at -- a classic case of the supply-demand conundrum. Is it the fault of those demanding to buy it (foreigners) or the fault of those willing to supply it (pribumi)?

#56007 - 10 Jul 07 10:21 Re: Live Earth [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Ratings show world switched off Live Earth
10:44AM Tuesday July 10, 2007

LOS ANGELES - The globe-spanning Live Earth pop music extravaganza fell flat for television viewers in the United States and Britain, drawing far smaller audiences than the Princess Diana tribute concert a week earlier.

The main three-hour American TV broadcast on NBC averaged a meagre 2.7 million viewers, ranking as the least-watched US programme on Saturday night and falling below NBC's summer prime-time Saturday average, Nielsen Media Research reported on Monday.

Even rival network ABC's rerun telecast of the animated film Monsters Inc garnered a bigger audience -- 3.3 million viewers. The most watched show of the evening was the CBS news magazine 48 Hours with 6.5 million viewers.

By comparison, NBC, a unit of General Electric Co. , averaged 8.8 million viewers with its hourlong broadcast of the memorial concert for the late Princess Diana the previous Sunday.

#56086 - 11 Jul 07 11:43 Re: Live Earth [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

At least one band realizes what a waste of time and energy these concerts are.

Rock group Arctic Monkeys have become the latest music industry stars to question whether the performers taking part in Live Earth on Saturday are suitable climate change activists.

"It's a bit patronising for us 21 year olds to try to start to change the world," said Arctic Monkeys drummer Matt Helders, explaining why the group is not on the bill at any of Al Gore's charity concerts.

"Especially when we're using enough power for 10 houses just for (stage) lighting. It'd be a bit hypocritical".

Bass player Nick O'Malley chimes in: "And we're always jetting off on aeroplanes!

These are the good guys!

#56087 - 11 Jul 07 12:04 Re: Live Earth [Re: Dilli]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

actually i din't really care about the concerts, most of the bands weren't my favs. no coldplay, no U2...but the police and snow patrol were there, so i wasn't really watching. i agree with you oildude, these concerts really didn't make green at all!

#56220 - 12 Jul 07 14:59 Re: Live Earth [Re: juminten]
Diyu Offline
Member+++

Loc: new zealand

yes as a balinese i got a very long hair down my ass!
[/quote]

MUST BE RATHER UNCOMFORTABLE FOR YOU

Moderator:  NetCop