Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55870 - 08 Jul 07 16:49 Travel warnings
terenjac Offline
Member+

Loc: Previously Wagin, Western Aust...
The Australian government today issued warnings against travel to Indonesia. According to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs and Trade there is an increased risk of terrorist attacks aimed at Westerners. Apparently this warning applies not only to the more volatile areas such as Ache (sp) and Irian Jaya but also to Bali and Jakarta.

What do members of this forum think ? Is the risk real or is it just 'hype'?

#55871 - 08 Jul 07 16:51 Re: Travel warnings [Re: terenjac]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
it's all fucking hype. until the bomb goes off.

#55872 - 08 Jul 07 17:18 Re: Travel warnings [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
My advice: go have a beer at the most visible, least secure place that foreigners (particularly Australians and other whiteys) are known to frequent, and bring a camera so you can make some money off of CNN if something does go down.

#55873 - 08 Jul 07 17:22 Re: Travel warnings [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
I've been waiting for the Ya Udah car bomb for 4 years. what's wrong with these Jihadi pussies? How difficult can it be to fill up a bajaj with military explosives and tool it into Pedro's screaming "Allah Akbar" ???

#55878 - 08 Jul 07 18:10 Re: Travel warnings [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Roy's hair
I've been waiting for the Ya Udah car bomb for 4 years. what's wrong with these Jihadi pussies? How difficult can it be to fill up a bajaj with military explosives and tool it into Pedro's screaming "Allah Akbar" ???

Looking at the place you would be hard pushed to know if someone did explode a bomb in there - waste of good semtex

#55882 - 08 Jul 07 21:25 Re: Travel warnings [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Stronger than its usual warning:

Quote:
We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the very high threat of terrorist attack. We continue to receive reports indicating that terrorists are planning attacks against Western interests against a range of targets, including places frequented by foreigners. If you are in Indonesia, including Bali, and are concerned for your safety you should consider departing. If you do decide to travel to Indonesia, including Bali, you should exercise extreme caution.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Indonesia

As for Jaksa, the conventional wisdom among security risk analysts has always been that it is not a sufficiently prestigious target to warrant being selected for a terror attack. Plus there's the Wisma Haji over the road from Papa Cafe. That said, I always feared Jl Jaksa - especially Papa Cafe - would be a soft target for terrorists, which is why I never stepped foot on the street. Besides, everyone knows Jaksa is just for bad girl and poor bule look for sex.

Edited by kenyeung (08 Jul 07 21:29)
Edit Reason: gonorrhea contracted from some boy on jaksa

#55895 - 09 Jul 07 07:48 Re: Travel warnings [Re: kenyeung]
terenjac Offline
Member+

I think I am more at risk of getting run over by a bus here in Oz than becoming the victim of a terrorist attack in Indonesia. Of course there is always the chance that I am wrong. But, if we worry about things like that we would never do anything other than sit at home and worry........... Does that make sense ?

Anyway, unless the world ends in the next few days, I will be flying into Jogjakarta on next Saturday. Then, one month later, will move on to Purwokerto. I am looking forward to an interesting 7 months.

#55947 - 09 Jul 07 16:44 Re: Travel warnings [Re: terenjac]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I got a terrified call from my mother today saying she wanted me to reconsider my 'honeymoon' gathering with family and friends in Bali in November. Somthing like: "Would you like the death of your mother, grandmother, brothers and their wives and new-born babies on your conscience?" She wants me to have it in Australia.

#55948 - 09 Jul 07 16:50 Re: Travel warnings [Re: terenjac]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"The Australian government today issued warnings against travel to Indonesia. According to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs and Trade there is an increased risk of terrorist attacks aimed at Westerners. Apparently this warning applies not only to the more volatile areas such as Ache (sp) and Irian Jaya but also to Bali and Jakarta.

What do members of this forum think ? Is the risk real or is it just 'hype'? "

It's not hype, the threat is real; you can't have Indonesia's track record over the last few years and think the threat has dissipated.

Having said that, Indonesia's police force (Polri) has conducted arguably the world's best counter-terrorist program, with over 300 'jihadi's' arrested. Upon arrest, after they submit the evidence dossier, the case is out of their hands. It is an issue the Yudhoyono government takes deadly seriously, even if they give the impression they don't.

All travel warnings from the Oz embassy are driven by intelligence recieved via hp intercepts; they are listening to certain targets and interpretors tell what they hear and what they think it actually means. They search for patterns and certain code words must have been uttered for the new warning to be released.

Of course, given the recent terror incident in the UK and given the fact that Australian Defence Minister, Brendan Nelson fucked-up royally by admitting the Iraq war was all about securing oil reserves last week, whilst the national election looms and the Howard government is behind in the polls by approximately 10 percent across the board has nothing to do with the recent upgraded travel advisory in order to divert attention away from the real issues of the world.

So long as you heed the advice, stay away from areas frequented by foreigners and/or perceived to be frequented by foreigners (i.e Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe, KFC, etc.), and avoid times when these places are most likely to be at their capacity (ie. opening time, luchtime, dinner time), you are more likely to die in a car accident or from food poisoning in Indonesia.

#55953 - 09 Jul 07 18:34 Re: Travel warnings [Re: naga]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Piss Saloon, your comment about worried families reminds me of the 4 years I spent in South Korea. The first 2 years was in Donghae, about 5 minutes by MIG jet from North Korea. We also had family worried about us. However, nothing untoward happened and we survived.

Hopefully nothing dangerous will happen while I am in Indonesia. But, as I wrote in my earlier post, you can't spend all your life worrying about something that may not happen. And if it does happen then at least life has been interesting.

#56003 - 10 Jul 07 10:12 Re: Travel warnings [Re: terenjac]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: terenjac
Piss Saloon, your comment about worried families reminds me of the 4 years I spent in South Korea. The first 2 years was in Donghae, about 5 minutes by MIG jet from North Korea. We also had family worried about us. However, nothing untoward happened and we survived.

Hopefully nothing dangerous will happen while I am in Indonesia. But, as I wrote in my earlier post, you can't spend all your life worrying about something that may not happen. And if it does happen then at least life has been interesting.

If I lived in South Korea I would be hoping on a daily basis that I would indeed be bombed.

I have no concerns in the slightest regarding my own personal safety, but it is more than likely that Suparman and other misguided 'saviours' are in the advanced stages of planning some sort of assault. With extremist Top still on the loose and his extremist organization apparently crumbling around him, he is also extremely likely to be extremely desperate.

And BTW fellows, I don't think it is a particularly intelligent idea to start highlighting soft targets for all and sundry to be able to take note of. Those concerned should consider amending their posts.

#56010 - 10 Jul 07 10:39 Re: Travel warnings [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Piss Salon

And BTW fellows, I don't think it is a particularly intelligent idea to start highlighting soft targets for all and sundry to be able to take note of. Those concerned should consider amending their posts.

Eh?? Is that a joke? If the dipwads didn't already know that places like KFC and certain roads in Jakarta are places connected to bules, I think it'd be safe to say that they're FAR TOO CLUELESS to know how to put together an incendiary device, let alone, turn on a computer, log on to the Internet, find JakChat, and then have the ability to navigate the site, and read and comprehend what has been mentioned here in Bahasa Inggris.

#56014 - 10 Jul 07 11:31 Re: Travel warnings [Re: riccardo]
naga Offline
Member++

"And BTW fellows, I don't think it is a particularly intelligent idea to start highlighting soft targets for all and sundry to be able to take note of. Those concerned should consider amending their posts. "

Mate, have you been in a coma for the last five years?

'these guys' know exactly what they are doing and why, they will watch a target for weeks, months before selection; this information has been open source for years, get a grip.

"I have no concerns in the slightest regarding my own personal safety,"

it doesn't sound like it, your first and last lines contradict each other, perhaps you should consider amending....

#56018 - 10 Jul 07 12:17 Re: Travel warnings [Re: naga]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

"If I lived in South Korea I would be hoping on a daily basis that I would indeed be bombed."

"And BTW fellows, I don't think it is a particularly intelligent idea to start highlighting soft targets for all and sundry to be able to take note of. Those concerned should consider amending their posts."

Where is the contradiction dragon breath?

If you don't think highlighting potential targets is not unwise then we have nothing more to talk about. But while you're on a roll, post a list of the top five soft targets in Southern Durian.

#56023 - 10 Jul 07 13:24 Re: Travel warnings [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
Quoting: Piss Salon

Eh?? Is that a joke? If the dipwads didn't already know that places like KFC and certain roads in Jakarta are places connected to bules, I think it'd be safe to say that they're FAR TOO CLUELESS to know how to put together an incendiary device, let alone, turn on a computer, log on to the Internet, find Jakchat, and then have the ability to navigate the site, and read and comprehend what has been mentioned here in Bahasa Inggris.

Is that you what you think ? Sweet Jesus I don't know about "them" being thick , you have just confirmed that you are .

The guys that blew up the London buses used a mixture of fertilizer and Chappati flour - the first lot went wrong becuase it was too wet , doesn't seem like they made a mistake with the second batch . Now, as you know, it is quite easy to find out quite detailed information on people, I can do it and these guys can do it too.

#56028 - 10 Jul 07 13:42 Re: Travel warnings [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Looks like the capt. has an equal lack of comprehension of English, or is it an attention span problem? Are you familiar with an IF/THEN statement? (e.g., IF A=B and B=C, THEN A=C) So let me rephrase in a simple form to enable simple comprehension for simple readers.

IF they are too clueless to already know KFC et al. are foreign places, THEN they're also too clueless to be a threat.

I was NOT referring to the clued-in ones that would not need any of the the info on JC to decide on targets. They are already clued-in enough to know which targets are best and clued-in enough to make the necessary plans.

#56029 - 10 Jul 07 13:55 Re: Travel warnings [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
naga Offline
Member++

"Where is the contradiction dragon breath?"

I meant in my thread, not yours... this is the contradiction....

"I have no concerns in the slightest regarding my own personal safety,"

"...I don't think it is a particularly intelligent idea to start highlighting soft targets for all and sundry to be able to take note of."

pretty clear....

"If you don't think highlighting potential targets is not unwise then we have nothing more to talk about."

Somebody asked for advice, it seemed they were rather naive, govt travel advisory's are deliberately vague, they offer little to the taxpayer.

The information above regarding potential targets is in relation to places that have already been attacked (KFC- Jakarta airport, KFC Makassar) or has been published previously.

Should i neglect to tell our friend that foreigners have also been targeted for kidnapping and random executions on the streets of Indonesia?

Should we let this one go through to the keeper aswell?

If you think local 'jihadi's' are so bereft of ideas that they need to resort to expat bs websites to find potential attack points, then indeed we have nothing further to talk about.

#56031 - 10 Jul 07 14:07 Re: Travel warnings [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Could do with a few tips if you are giving a VB training course:-

Dim conn,rst
Dim SQL_Table

Set conn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set rst = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=c:\G&S.mdb"

rst.CursorLocation = 3
rst.CursorType = 3
rst.LockType = 3

SQL_Table = "Select * FROM tblData1"

rst.open SQL_Table,conn

Do Until strscreen <> HmiRuntime.BaseScreenName

SmartTags("LASER_2D") = rst.Fields(0).Value
SmartTags("LASER_2D_GRADE") = rst.Fields(1).Value
SmartTags("G&S_2D") = rst.Fields(2).Value

Do While SmartTags("btnNext")=True Or SmartTags("btnPrev")=True

If SmartTags("btnNext")=True Then
rst.MoveNext
SmartTags("btnNext")=False

If SmartTags("btnPrev")=True Then
rst.MovePrevious
SmartTags("btnPrev")=False

End If
End If

ActivateScreen "Screen_1",0
Loop

Loop

Set rst = Nothing
Set conn = Nothing

Now back to the plot -

Even the dopey ones have the ability to reshape your world, the power of stupid people in large groups - Never assume that just because your would be terrorist is a bit mentally challenged that he won't be able to ruin you day with a few of his mates .

You need to take a look around - try googling info on yourself - et me know what you find.

#56034 - 10 Jul 07 14:52 Re: Travel warnings [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
They may not be the cleverest but their mothers loved them!

Attachments
2198-proud.jpg

#56051 - 10 Jul 07 19:58 Re: Travel warnings [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring

Dim SQL_Table

conn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=c:\G&S.mdb"

rst.CursorLocation = 3
rst.CursorType = 3
rst.LockType = 3

rst.open SQL_Table,conn

rst.MoveNext

rst.MovePrevious

End If
End If

Loop

Loop

Set rst = Nothing
Set conn = Nothing

Even the dopey ones have the ability to reshape your world, the power of stupid people in large groups - Never assume that just because your would be terrorist is a bit mentally challenged that he won't be able to ruin you day with a few of his mates .

You need to take a look around - try googling info on yourself - et me know what you find.

Is that you what you think ? Sweet Jesus I don't know about "them" being thick , you have just confirmed that you are .

You could have actually come out of that with a bit of dignity intact, IF you'd have just typed: "oops, sorry for calling you 'thick', I must've read too quickly and missed the part where you said 'IF they...'" That's some seriously righteous Instant Karma, every time you rush in mindlessly to attack and criticize, be extra careful that you've read precisely what you are criticizing.

No, instead you gotta ramble on, trying to cover your ass, toss in a few more barbs and bore us silly with gibberish. Lawdy, lawdy, I must say Asians are the ones that virtually "invented" loss of face and have the hardest time coming to terms with it, but you, pvt. whingingmeister, are worse than anyone on that count -- at least in the history of this universe.

#56059 - 10 Jul 07 20:19 Re: Travel warnings [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Dim SQL_Table

rst.CursorLocation = 3
rst.CursorType = 3
rst.LockType = 3

rst.open SQL_Table,conn

rst.MoveNext

rst.MovePrevious

End If
End If

Loop

Loop

Set rst = Nothing
Set conn = Nothing

You could have actually come out of that with a bit of dignity intact, IF you'd have just typed: "oops, sorry for calling you 'thick', I must've read too quickly and missed the part where you said 'IF they...'" That's some seriously righteous Instant Karma, every time you rush in mindlessly to attack and criticize, be extra careful that you've read precisely what you are criticizing.

No, instead you gotta ramble on, trying to cover your ass, toss in a few more barbs and bore us silly with gibberish. Lawdy, lawdy, I must say Asians are the ones that virtually "invented" loss of face and have the hardest time coming to terms with it, but you, pvt. whingingmeister, are worse than anyone on that count -- at least in the history of this universe.

Learnt everything from you , take it as a compliment .

Riccardo, have you noticed that a few of the locals have it in for you? have you also noticed that those same locals know where you live?

It doesn't matter if the bloke who sticks something nasty under you car is thick or a fucking genius - you will still suffer the same fate - and before you fucking bleat about defamation or making threats, I'm not suggesting anything, just that in your situation I would tend to shut the fuck up occasionally.

I'll stick to having the expats hate me , when it is your hosts, you may have a problem. All been pointed out before but it doesn't hurt to consider the possible outcome.

Why don't you just speak for yourself? I find you ignorant arrogant and for that matter ugly as sin , but I don't recall saying anything other than "I" - stick to the facts.

#56062 - 11 Jul 07 01:36 Re: Travel warnings [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Out of respect for Kuku and general civility on this site, I've tried to be fairly mellow with you and your asinine antics, but that's all done now.
You JUST DON'T get it.
You are a FUCKING COWARD and CUNT of the highest order. You sit there behind some fucking idiotic fictional TV character and ramble on about locals and where I live ... well fuck you and BRING 'EM ON! Tell them ALL to come over, (woooooo, I'm quaking in my sandals...) but just remember, you gotta come too, because, you fucking wimp hiding behind a fucking anonymous avatar, I got something special for your wimpy, quisling, whinging, spineless useless waste of space.
AND if you fail to show up, I'm going to hunt YOU down like the fucking dog you are!

Have a nice evening.

#56063 - 11 Jul 07 02:45 Re: Travel warnings [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Out of respect for Kuku and general civility on this site, I've tried to be fairly mellow with you and your asinine antics, but that's all done now.
You JUST DON'T get it.
You are a FUCKING COWARD and CUNT of the highest order. You sit there behind some fucking idiotic fictional TV character and ramble on about locals and where I live ... well fuck you and BRING 'EM ON! Tell them ALL to come over, (woooooo, I'm quaking in my sandals...) but just remember, you gotta come too, because, you fucking wimp hiding behind a fucking anonymous avatar, I got something special for your wimpy, quisling, whinging, spineless useless waste of space.
AND if you fail to show up, I'm going to hunt YOU down like the fucking dog you are!

Have a nice evening.

Touched a nerve eh chucky - show up where? the noodle house?

You just make sure one of those dopy wong jowo's doesn't add a something for the car that wasn't on the options list.

Have you just realised that when you continuously fuck your hosts off, it isn't a good idea to let people know where you live? silly boy .

As for respect - that is a quality you know nothing about , the worst insult I can give you is to call you a complete George Bush.

As for Capt. Mainwaring - well he represents a spirit that you "dudes" will never understand or possess. Mess with the Capt. at your cost.

Coward - really ? what will you do , bring in your army against one naughty english bule?

Please don't give me the "respect for kuku", " and general civililty" shite- say what you have to say , then I'll ignore you again , and hope that you don't bite my left bootlace. Did General Civility serve in you little "oliver's army the " Ricci?

I'm awaiting "dude", for you to draw yourself up to your full height of 5'2" (what a twat - in indo at least marry a girly shorter than you) and give me a right good listening to .

Loads of love ,
CM.

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (11 Jul 07 02:51)
Edit Reason: forgot a "dude"

#56065 - 11 Jul 07 06:45 Re: Travel warnings [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Oh for god's sake Yolanda... where do you deluded Diana fans get all this bull? Strive to be like a Princess? You must be nuts.

#56067 - 11 Jul 07 07:02 Re: Travel warnings [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Seconds out! Round Two

If this did not appear to be for real it would make great TV!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop