Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55843 - 08 Jul 07 13:39 sudden closure of australian embassy!
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
This message just now sent to me from the Australian Embassy in Jakarta:

The Australian Embassy in Jakarta is closed to the public until further notice. Limited consular services are available by appointment only (tel +62 21 2550 5500).

Australian Embassy
Jalan H R Rasuna Said Kav C 15-16
Jakarta Selatan 12940 Indonesia
Telephone +62 21 2550 5555
Facsimile +62 21 526 1690
Website http://www.austembjak.or.id/

In Bali, you can obtain consular assistance from:

Australian Consulate General
Jalan Tantular 32
Renon
Denpasar, Bali, 80234 Indonesia
Telephone +62 361 241 118
Facsimile + 62 361 221 195 (general enquiries)
Facsimile +62 361 241 120 (visa enquiries)
Email Bali.congen@dfat.gov.au

In Medan, you can obtain limited consular assistance, which does not
include the issue of Australian passports, from:

Australian Consulate
Jalan R A Kartini 32
Medan 20152
North Sumatra Indonesia
Telephone +62 61 415 7810
Facsimile +62 61 415 6820

If you are travelling to Indonesia, whatever the reason and however long
you'll be there, we strongly recommend you register with the Department of
Foreign Affairs and Trade. You can register on-line or in person at any
Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. The information you
provide will help us to contact you in an emergency - whether it is a
natural disaster, civil disturbance or a family issue.

In a consular emergency if you are unable to contact the Embassy, Consulate
General or the Consulate, you can contact the 24-hour Consular Emergency
Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 or 1300 555 135 within Australia.

In Australia, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Canberra may
be contacted on (02) 6261 3305.

#55844 - 08 Jul 07 13:41 Re: sudden closure of australian embassy! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
This could be the reason (from ABC news site):

DFAT warns of 'imminent' Indonesia terrorist attacks

Posted 2 hours 30 minutes ago

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) is warning of imminent terrorist attacks in Indonesia, possibly in Bali.

Australians are being urged not to travel there with intelligence reports suggesting terrorists are planning attacks against western targets.

The Department warns the attacks could happen at any time and Australians in Indonesia should avoid known targets.

"There have been recent arrests of high level terrorist operatives in Indonesia, but we assess terrorists are continuing active planning of attacks," the Department said in a statement.

"These attacks could take place at any time and could be imminent. Australians should consider this information carefully when considering travel to Indonesia.

"Terrorist attacks against Westerners in Bali and Jakarta indicate that these areas are a priority target for terrorists in Indonesia."

#55849 - 08 Jul 07 14:19 Re: sudden closure of australian embassy! [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
DEtik.com says the same thing, except they call DFAT, the "Foreign Affairs Dept. of the KANGAROO COUNTRY"

#55851 - 08 Jul 07 14:21 Re: sudden closure of australian embassy! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

And the Reuters account:
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia warned on Sunday of possible imminent terrorist attacks in Indonesia, including on the resort island of Bali, and told its citizens to think twice before traveling there.

In an upgraded travel advisory, the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said terrorists were actively planning attacks that could take place at any time.

The advisory says Australians should reconsider their need to travel to Indonesia.

"There have been recent arrests of high-level terrorist operatives in Indonesia, but we assess terrorists are continuing active planning of attacks," it said.

In 2002, bombs ripped through two nightclubs on Bali, a predominately Hindu island. Members of the Southeast Asia militant group Jemaah Islamiah were convicted of the blasts, which killed 202 people, including 88 Australian holidaymakers.

Two years later the Australian embassy in Jakarta was bombed and in October 2005, 23 people, including four Australians, died in suicide attacks on Bali restaurants.

More attacks "could take place at any time and could be imminent," DFAT said. Particular care should be taken at this time to avoid known terrorist targets."

These included Bali and the capital Jakarta, DFAT said.

"Ask yourself whether, given your own personal circumstances, you're comfortable traveling to Indonesia including Bali, knowing that there is a very high threat from terrorism and you may be caught up in a terrorist attack," the advisory said.

Australia is probing whether the attempted bombings in London and Glasgow last week could be linked to home after questioning at least six Indian doctors, one of whom remains in police custody.

Australian Prime Minister John Howard on Sunday fast-tracked changes to immigration screening which match intelligence data with a person's travel and financial history to determine if they might be a security threat to Australia.

#55853 - 08 Jul 07 14:51 Re: sudden closure of australian embassy! [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

What seems rather odd about all this is:
1. Why close the Oz Embassy in Jakarta, especially as it seems the focus of the "threat" is on Bali?

2. WHY doesn't the Indonesian police/gov't warn people, as it was my understanding that all this intel is now being shared, in accordance with these recently inked security treaties and agreements?

#55857 - 08 Jul 07 15:10 Re: sudden closure of australian embassy! [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Fucking Terry Wrists

Attachments
2183-as.jpg

#55897 - 09 Jul 07 08:48 Re: sudden closure of australian embassy! [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

hmmm --- well i leave for Bali tomorrow! 3 day conferance which i could do without ... let me see if I can scare a few of the overseas people by circulating that warning!! hehehe

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop