Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55684 - 06 Jul 07 11:46 Failing State
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Two pieces of really pathetic, embarrassing news came out in the past 24 hours --
1. The RI gov't is planning to 'retaliate' against the EU for the flight ban...
2. HRW has found widespread evidence of raping and pillaging by gov't security forces with impunity in Papua.

These are symptoms of a failed state and a pariah state! This country, while not there yet, is seriously on the precipice and on the verge of falling into those ignominious categories.

The only thing that can fix this is to dispense with this jawa uber alles colonial mindset and thuggery and allow the intelligentsia (upper crust pribumi from all over the archipelago and Chinese-Indons and Indian-Indons) to run the country.

RI to retaliate against EU

The European Commission made it official by deciding to ban all Indonesian airlines, including national flag carrier Garuda Nusantara, from the 27-nation bloc.

In response, the Indonesian government warned of possible retaliation.

The EU ban also will oblige tourist agencies offering package tours using domestic carriers in the archipelago to warn customers about the safety standards of Indonesian airlines.

With nearly 1 million European tourists visiting the country annually, the ban will surely have an impact on Indonesia's tourism sector, which has not yet fully recovered from its recent slump following a series of iSlam terrorist bomb attacks in the country.

Indonesian Transportation Minister Jusman Syafei Djamal told reporters Wednesday the ban was unfair and that his ministry was considering retaliatory measures against the EU.

"We reject their decision as the EU never gave us a chance for a dialog. The President has asked me to look for ways to retaliate against them," Jusman warned.

If the EU refuses to change its stance, Jusman warned, the government "will take retaliatory measures such as banning Indonesian citizens from flying with European airlines."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

RAPE AND PILLAGE

INDONESIAN security forces are routinely killing, raping and beating people with total impunity in Papua, as proven by a year-long report by Human Rights Watch.

But Indonesia's police chief denied abuses were taking place...

"The police have undertaken many reforms," said General Sutanto. "The human rights situation in Papua is getting better."

Other government officials deny that rights abuses happen routinely in Papua...

Papua remains closed to outsiders, but HRW was able to interview locals (both inside and outside Papua) and conduct investigations covertly.

On Wednesday, Indonesia barred a United States congressman, known for his criticism of Jakarta's policies in Papua, from visiting the region. Indonesian officials said there were "concerns that a visit would lead to unrest."

Papua was incorporated into Indonesia in 1969 after a unanimous show of hands by a select few tribal leaders. It has since been dismissed as a sham as most of the "leaders" were forced at gunpoint or paid off before raising their hands.

#55685 - 06 Jul 07 11:59 Re: Failing State [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

How does Jusman plan to enforce a ban on Indonesian citizens flying EU airlines??? What a fucking joke .... Why not take the radical step of fixing the problem and making air travel safe for Indonesian citizens?

#55687 - 06 Jul 07 12:08 Re: Failing State [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: riccardo
Two pieces of really pathetic, embarrassing news came out in the past 24 hours --

only two pieces?! have you forgot about the new negative list on investment? and now, KADIN's response to it?

#55688 - 06 Jul 07 12:10 Re: Failing State [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Here's more detailed synopsis of the HRW report

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/HRW/7379e3d513bf114006d082b5ec863748.htm
And the actual report here:
http://hrw.org/reports/2007/papua0707/

Many of the police abuses documented in the report were particularly cruel. One man told Human Rights Watch what happened when 12 BRIMOB officers arrested him and some friends for a peaceful independence flag raising:

My teeth fell out. Blood flowed out. I was hit. I was kicked twice and then in the stomach twice again. I was kicked in the nose, the mouth and the teeth. More kicks were ordered and this was repeated. I could not count the number of times. I saw all my friends given the same treatment. Blood was flowing from them and they were forbidden from going to the toilet. They ordered us to swallow our blood. My nose was bleeding. They ordered us to swallow the blood again. I do not know the name of the officer in command. They all punched us, taking turns.

Another man reported being beaten by the police while witnessing the arrest of another person:

I was beaten with the end of a gun on my back, and with fists to my face. My mouth and eyes were smashed and bleeding. I felt dizzy and fell. Straight away I was kicked by five members of the police and BRIMOB. They were all wearing complete official uniforms with guns ... I was barely conscious when five members of the police took me into the car. As they were taking me, they punched me to the back three times with rifle butts and then in the car I was beaten with a truncheon.

A lack of internal accountability and a poorly functioning justice system mean impunity for perpetrators of abuses is the norm in Papua.

"No one is being prosecuted for the crimes we documented," said Saunders. "The police are acting as a law unto themselves."

#55689 - 06 Jul 07 12:19 Re: Failing State [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: KuKuKaChu

only two pieces?! have you forgot about the new negative list on investment? and now, KADIN's response to it?

No haven't forgot about that, just thought you were covering it well in the biz section and it's not exactly a life&death issue, like these above.

I stand by my conclusions for all three of these cases. This country needs to dispense with the jawa uber alles mindset of thuggery, tribalism and uncivilized retaliation AND create a situation that allows intelligent, capable people of running the gov't, the police and business sectors.

At present, we have uneducated thugs from from the thug classes running everything (zoo run by the animals) and none of these things will change unless that is addressed. Of course, HELL might have to freeze over first, as it would mean lots of voluntary resignations and appointing properly educated Chinese or Acehnese or Manadonese or Dutch-Indos to take over those positions of leadership.

#55690 - 06 Jul 07 12:46 Re: Failing State [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

The only thing that can fix this is to dispense with this jawa uber alles colonial mindset and thuggery and allow the intelligentsia (upper crust pribumi from all over the archipelago and Chinese-Indons and Indian-Indons) to run the country.

why beat about the bush; the indonesian government should beg the dutch to come back, and they should then remove themselves permanently from the gene pool.

#55698 - 06 Jul 07 13:28 Re: Failing State [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Tit-for-tat childishness. Is that any way to run a country?

Gov't officials: 'You tell us our airlines are not safe! SO we will ban our citizens from flying and Ban EU airlines from coming here.'

On the papua thing, the next step will be... NOT to rein in the abusive BriMob, but to further restrict "outsiders" from going in.

In other words, we won't fix anything, we'll just hit back and make it more difficult for those pointing out the problems to see them. Sweeping the problems under the rug instead of doing the real work to sort things out.

What the heck is it about the mindset of these people, that they CANNOT SAY, "okay, right, we're the leaders of this country and its 245 million people, we need to take responsibility and we must do whatever it takes to fix these things -- for the good of our citizens and so that outsiders will commend us."

#55712 - 06 Jul 07 14:32 Re: Failing State [Re: riccardo]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
The Dutch actually created a lot of the problems - in a normal development of democracy people from the money-making class go into politics, but the dutch specifically excluded them, ie the chinese, from anything to do with administration. Post-independence governments continued the dutch policies.

So things happened backasswards here, instead of people going into politics and admin after they had made their money people go into politics in order to make money and make sure no-one in their family for the next 18 generations has to be poor.

#55760 - 07 Jul 07 13:35 Re: Failing State [Re: Patung]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Here's a letter of "clarification" about the JP's reporting of the EU flight ban...
BTW, what is that these fools don't get? It's not a "squabble" (as the JP calls it), not a "negotiation", no need for a "PR campaign", etc. etc.. It is simply adhering to a number of criteria on air safety. Black and white. Documented evidence.

-----------------------------------------
European Commission clarifies

This is in response to the letter from Camelia Pardede (July 3, "On ban of Garuda Airlines"), as well as other incorrect facts appearing in the Indonesian press as a reaction to the European Commission's banning all Indonesian airlines from operating in the EU. That this decision would stem from any political or commercial interests of the EU are completely unfounded and very grave accusations, to which I feel the necessity to react.

The key priority of the EU in the field of air safety is to ensure a high level of protection of passengers from safety risks. It can hardly have bypassed anyone that Indonesia has recently experienced a number of serious accidents involving passenger aircraft.

The report of Indonesia's National Civil Aviation Administration following these accidents showed severe safety deficiencies in Indonesian air carriers. In addition, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration lowered Indonesia's safety rating from Category I to Category II on April 16 on the basis of Indonesia's failure to comply with safety standards set by the international Civil Aviation Organization. In effect, this means that no Indonesian air carriers can apply for traffic rights in the U.S.

The unanimous opinion of the European Commission's Air Safety Committee, which includes representatives from all EU member states, is based on objective criteria transparently depicted in several regulations. Among these criteria are verified evidences of serious safety deficiencies from the part of an air carrier, an operating ban imposed by a third country and failures of authorities to implement and enforce relevant safety standards.

These regulations are aligned with an international convention, to which both the European Community and its member states are bound. The regulations also contain the authorities' and air carriers' opportunity of consultation and defense in front of the Air Safety Committee.

Prior to the recent adoption of the updated community list, the Indonesian authorities were invited to consultation through two letters of April 12 and May 21 respectively, to which no reply was received.

There was also a meeting in Brussels between representatives of the European Commission and the Indonesian Transportation Ministry on June 22, where the Indonesian authorities, along with the air carriers concerned, were invited to the meeting of the Air Safety Committee held on June 25. The statement that the commission has not consulted the Indonesian authorities is thus inaccurate and groundless.

It is my wish that the Indonesian authorities and air carriers rapidly adapt to international aviation safety standards so that Indonesia's carriers can be removed from the list.

JEAN BRETECHE
Ambassador
European Union
Jakarta

#55775 - 07 Jul 07 15:16 Re: Failing State [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

nice letter. pity it was only published in a newspaper that few indonesians know about, much less read. not a word about the contents of this letter so far in the newspaper that counts in indonesia, Kompas.

but maybe i'm being too cynical. maybe they're going to publish it in tomorrows edition.

#55815 - 07 Jul 07 18:23 Re: Failing State [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Meanwhile, the brave Papuans continue to strive for independence, despite -- or perhaps because of -- the police/tni/bin abuse.

----------------------------------------

Papuan Tribal Council head promises to pursue independence

Nethy Dharma Somba, The Jakarta Post, Jayapura

The four-day Papuan Tribal Community congress has elected Forkorus Yoboisembut as the new Papuan Tribal Council leader, replacing Tom Beanal.

Forkorus, formerly the council's tribal governing chief, was elected Friday on the last day of the congress at the Cendrawasih sport complex in Jayapura city. He will hold the post until 2012.

In a brief speech after his election, Forkorus said his main job, in line with the results of the congress, would be to fight for independence from Indonesia.

"This is the voice of the kampong people and we should fight for it together," he said to the cheers of the some 500 congress participants.

"We do need better living standards, but (the ongoing) development or forced special autonomy that is underway should not stop West Papua's independence, since it is our right to determine our future and those who oppose this are violating our human rights."

The congress was attended by participants from seven tribal regions in Papua and West Papua provinces.

Forkorus said the goal of independence would not be easy to achieve, warning it would require hard work and sacrifice.

"This (goal) is something we must do together. Independence will not be easy to reach, but let's work together to fight for the messages of this second congress," he said.

Not everyone was pleased with the outcome of the congress. Participants from the Pegunungan Tengah tribal region expressed their displeasure with the makeup of the tribal council's new executive board.

"The list of executives fails to represent the seven tribal regions in Papua. None of the executives come from the southern and central regions or Mimika. They are only from the coastal area.

"So, this list of new executives fails to represent us," said Dominikus Sorabut.

He said the makeup of the executive board would hamper the tribal council from achieving its goals.

"If we, the representatives of the regions, are not being represented in the executive board, it means if we propose a program it might be rejected.

"So, we doubt the council's work in the future will bring about any progress," he said.

Moderator:  NetCop