Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55618 - 05 Jul 07 14:52 Study Bahasa Indonesia
kensantoso Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Hello friends. My name is Ken and I am in Hong Kong. I am new to this forum.

I am very interested in Indonesia and am planning for some further studies on Bahasa Indonesia. Last year I took a short course in a private school in Yogya and it was such a good experience for me. Now I am looking at universities in Indonesia which offer language courses for foreigners. I have sent a lot of emails and done some research. Now I have shortlisted the following five options for consideration. I would like to hear your opinions.

(1) Universitas Indonesia - BIPA
(2) Universitas Gadjah Mada - Indonesian Language and Culture Learning Service (INCULS)
(3) Universitas Negeri Malang - BIPA
(4) Universitas Brawijaya - BIPA
(5) Universitas Surabaya (Ubaya) - Indonesian Language Program for Speakers of Other Languages (ILPSOL)

Overall it seems BIPA is the most widely accepted programme in this aspect and most state universities offer BIPA courses. But its schedule is not flexible.

I am more interested in (5) Ubaya because I have never been to Surabaya before and the course sounds more flexible and less costly. But I am just unsure about the reputation and recognition of the university (being a private one) and the ILPSOL programme.

Has anyone tried these courses? Any advice for me? Thanks very much.

#55619 - 05 Jul 07 15:07 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: kensantoso]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Both the colleges in Malang have a good reputation and Malang is a nice place to live - may be reason enough to choose it over Surabaya - if however you are also interested in learning javanese , the UGM may be for you .

#55620 - 05 Jul 07 15:55 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i would agree with the capt; malang and yogyakarta would be the places to go if you are serious about learning indonesian. i would personally tend towards UGM, not only because what you can learn in terms of language, but also what you will learn about how indonesians think, and why indonesia is the way that it is.

the program i went through many, many moons ago, ACICIS, is a year long program within faculties of UGM. you take normal classes within the univerisity and get graded just like any other student. unlike "normal" for-degree students, however, you can choose from a wide variety of subjects in a number of different faculties. in order to get a pass from the ACICIS program, you must pass all the subjects you undertake (usually 12-16 sks).

it's not for the faint-hearted, but if you're serious, it's one of the best programs available.

#55669 - 06 Jul 07 09:01 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kensantoso Offline

Thank you both.

ACICIS - first time I heard of it. I looked at its website. Pretty interesting. But it is for Australians only. How much did it cost to study for a year in UGM, do you remember?

I have not been to Malang either. What kind of place is it like? Kampung? I do not mind kampung at all. But I just have little idea about this place...

#55671 - 06 Jul 07 09:06 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: kensantoso]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: kensantoso
Thank you both.

ACICIS - first time I heard of it. I looked at its website. Pretty interesting. But it is for Australians only. How much did it cost to study for a year in UGM, do you remember?

no, it's not just for australians.

try emailing acicis[@]murdoch.edu.au or acicisjogja[@]jmn.net.id for information on charges for non-australian students. when i did my course, the charges were paid for by the australian govt. don't know the situation now. should not be more than a few thousand dollars for 2 semesters. it is far and away the best in-country language program in indonesia.

#56071 - 11 Jul 07 07:46 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: KuKuKaChu]
kensantoso Offline

Thank you for your information. I have sent an email to ask for more information. I really hope I can make it. I am so much interested to go there and stay for a period of time.

#56099 - 11 Jul 07 16:48 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: kensantoso]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
KenS. Are you the same Kenny Santoso who writes for The Jakarta Post? If so, why are you asking these questions. If you are not the same guy, Santoso is still an Indonesian name is it not?

#56615 - 16 Jul 07 18:24 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Ambhara Offline

Loc: home is where you feel happy!!...
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

the program i went through many, many moons ago, ACICIS, is a year long program within faculties of UGM. you take normal classes within the univerisity and get graded just like any other student. unlike "normal" for-degree students, however, you can choose from a wide variety of subjects in a number of different faculties. in order to get a pass from the ACICIS program, you must pass all the subjects you undertake (usually 12-16 sks).

it's not for the faint-hearted, but if you're serious, it's one of the best programs available.

I would like to know much more bhs than i do now, however due to my work I am NOT all the time in Indonesia, in fact half a year abroad for sure. I couldn't follow 2 complete semesters! Is there also some part time course available?

Trm ksh!

#56621 - 16 Jul 07 20:28 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: Ambhara]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Ambhara, I think this has been discussed elsewhere in this forum. If you do a search for 'indonesian courses' in the search box above, you will get the information you require. Any option is available. PM me if you don't have any luck.

#56624 - 16 Jul 07 20:52 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Saya berbahasa bahasa Indonesian. Fancy a fuck?

Works every time!

Who needs a training course?

#56739 - 17 Jul 07 18:36 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Fluent you are you old polyglot - Scottish ,understable English and now Indonesian...

#56753 - 17 Jul 07 21:41 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I try my best! I was thinking about enrolling in UGM for the degree!

#56762 - 18 Jul 07 00:19 Re: Study Bahasa Indonesia [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Become a teacher?........

Moderator:  NetCop