Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55381 - 02 Jul 07 20:25 Contract obligations
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
I need some help please guys.

I have a contract with a school, which will end this week. As you may know have been in hospital, rather sick.

My employment contract states the following :-

Insurance: From the time of hire, The Second Party (Me) will be covered by a local health insurance policy under which cost associated with hospitalization and out-patient expenses (medicine, doctor's visits) may be claimed. Expenses relating to pregnancy, veneraeal diseases, dental and optical treatment, general medical check-ups, existing ailments at the time of hire and non-work related accidents or injury, are not reimbursable. In the case of hospitalization, The Firsty Party (The School) agrees to cover the cost of a single, air-conditioned room up to RP 500,00 per night

I have just been told that the insurance company was only willing to pay 30% of the associated costs, due to having claimed once more for a doctors visit. Stinks but I doubt there is little I can do about that.

My really problem is that the Shcool are saying that they are not responsible for the cost of the room and that I have to accept that the insurance company has paid for it.

Can some please help me. As far as I can tell, the last line in the above obligates the School to pay for the room (my room was actually RP 400,00 per night, meaning I stand to loose 2.4 million)

Thanks in advance

Peter Kay

#55383 - 02 Jul 07 20:32 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Magpie]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Was it the VD that voided your insurance??

Just kidding. Probably not much you can do in this cowboy country mate. What school was it?

#55385 - 02 Jul 07 20:37 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Roy's Hair]
Magpie Offline
Member**

I am trying everythig, contacting the Old Director of Studies, good guy, and he wrote the contract, contacting everyone here, maybe somebody can help. Asking My father if I am in the right, contacting Lawyers in NZ, and I have told the school what I am doing, the finance director (twat), did seem rather taken aback. I am pretty sure I am in the right (used to work in Legal Publishing) and I'm not that daft.

Can you tell me Roy, do you come to the same conclusion as me after reading, that's really important piece of information at the moment

Cheers

Peter Kay

#55386 - 02 Jul 07 21:20 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Magpie]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: Magpie
Expenses relating to veneraeal diseases are not reimbursable.

That alone makes the contract worth keeping.

Am sending you a PM with no mention of cats.

Edited by kenyeung (02 Jul 07 21:48)
Edit Reason: global warming

#55390 - 03 Jul 07 00:04 Re: Contract obligations [Re: kenyeung]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Seems pretty straightforward - so long as you weren't excluded because of a pre-existing condition or having bad teeth and the clap , you should be OK - why not try asking them why they are refusing .

At the end of the day you are better not to work than to work for people so shabby they won't weigh in for 130-00 .

#55396 - 03 Jul 07 06:25 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
In China, merchants would traditionally sacrifice a female cat, as a sign of good faith and cruelty, when signing a contract.

In California, cats are not allowed in rooms where discussions about terrorism are taking place. The Californians believe that cats would definitely spread gossips around the town or post gossips on Internet chat-rooms.

In one episode of the classic British comedy series Dad's Army, Captain Mainwaring rejected a proposal to use a cat as the mascot for the civil defense unit. He instead chose a ram as mascot. Years later, Arthur Lowe, the actor who played Capt. Mainwaring, was killed in a Jakarta brothel after an evil black cat put a curse on him.

#55410 - 03 Jul 07 07:50 Re: Contract obligations [Re: kenyeung]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
MAgpie if your contract is with an "Indo company" (the school)then U can go to Manpower, (Depenaker) as you are covered by an Indo contract,.. try it cost you nothing

(George Bernard Shaw)

#55411 - 03 Jul 07 08:21 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Balibob]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Alternatively, does the school abide by Jamsostek requirements

http://www.indonext.com/cgi-bin/comp.pl?ID=61586

#55413 - 03 Jul 07 08:41 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
You may not get the money but I say Bob is 100% spot on ... If you say to your employer that if they dont pay out as needed in the contract you will have no option but to go the the Manpower department and report everything so they can investigate.

unless they are morons they will pay you your 2.4 million as it will cost them more when the manpower people come knocking on their door (guilty or not!)

#55447 - 03 Jul 07 14:05 Re: Contract obligations [Re: chewwyUK]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I keep re-reading this and see Rp 400,00 per night , do you mean Rp 4,000 or Rp 40,000 or perhaps Rp 400,000 per night ?

I'd be careful about going to DEPNAKER if you are between jobs , and depending on the Visa that you now hold .

Were you working as a teacher at this school ?

#55451 - 03 Jul 07 14:21 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Depenaker has only control over working permit and not visa so no problem there, if your school has cancelled your visa then you normally have 7 days to get out, you can therefore start the process in that time and always get a social visa

(George Bernard Shaw)

#55454 - 03 Jul 07 14:36 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Balibob]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Well you won't get a transition between KITAS and SOSBUD or tourist without leaving .

If you talk nicely to Immigration you can force the school to pay at least for flights to singapore .

Better to just walk away - I find it hard to believe that games get played over 140 - if the contract extract posted above was a cut and paste - then he is only going to get Rp 50,000 a night in any case , so unless he was in hospital for 480 days , he won't get 2.4J .

#55479 - 03 Jul 07 20:21 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Magpie Offline
Member**

Sorry guys, i made a couple of typo's. The contract states 500,000 Rupiah a night should have been covered. My hospital room was 400,000 Rupiah a night.

Thanks for all the feed back, am looking at the Jamsostek page now and will be mentioning Manpower, (Depenaker) to the school tommorow, does anyone have contact details (will try and find out myself, but if not, would be handy.

Captain, I know I shouldn't work for such shabby companies, it wont be repeated I can assure you (You learn by your mistakes, as I am sure you are aware).

Balibob and Dilli, thanks for your advice, I think it will be very useful.

In terms of being in between jobs, no problem, my contract ends on Friday and I leave the country on the following Tuesday, KITAS all sorted (in a good way) and my flight is booked and paid for, so it really is just the one thing I need to sort, the final financial's.

Peter Kay

#55494 - 04 Jul 07 06:58 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Magpie]
Balibob Offline
Member**

There is a Depenaker office in every city Magpie your wife should be able to find it for you, they are actually ok guys most of the time and so should be able to help,.. also tell the school if they don't pay up you will get a "journalist friend" to write up an atricle about them in all the newspapers, they hate that sort of publicity and that should be enough in itself be enough for them to pay out.

best of luck mate

(George Bernard Shaw)

#55652 - 05 Jul 07 20:59 Re: Contract obligations [Re: Balibob]
Magpie Offline
Member**

Guys, thanks so very much for all of the advice. Spoke to said school, mentioned Depenaker, school paid forthwith! Excellent rwsult, will now spend the 80 quid or whatever it is on guiness, bacon sandwiches and Amberleaf tobbaco (may even be able to splashout for a seat in St. James park, one match only though, think I will wait for a team we can thrash.......oh shit Sheffield got relegated!)

thanks again, very useful, and very much appreciated.

Peter Kay

Moderator:  NetCop