Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#55279 - 02 Jul 07 11:07 Terror in UK, whodunnit?
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The authorities in the UK have been very coy about the identities of the people they've arrested and the others that they are looking for, so here's a chance to take a guess as to whom the perpetrators will turn out to be.
Whodunnit?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 02 Jul 07 11:04
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#55280 - 02 Jul 07 11:09 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Oh, and please explain why you voted the way you did...AND feel free to add other reasons/perpetrators. One conspiracy theory I saw was that the Gordon Brown's Labour party people organized it so he could respond and look good in the process, thereby inspiring confidence among the citizens.

#55282 - 02 Jul 07 11:17 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
They are being "coy" as they are unable to verify the identities of the two responsible for Glasgow as yet. They appear to have been very thorough in their "identity cleansing"

In addition, the details of any arrests are traditionally kept quiet whilst ongoing investigations proceed to prevent conspiritors from doing a runner.

It happened a little too close to home for me (25 miles from my house)and I will await facts before making any conclusions.

The only thing I do know is that they chose one of the busiest days off the year at Glasgow Airport to do the deed, knowing full well that it would be full of families.

My thoughts on that subject can only be imagined.

#55289 - 02 Jul 07 11:36 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Indeed Dill, that's what we know from the news. This poll is about YOUR own guess/speculation.

#55300 - 02 Jul 07 12:37 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Its beginning to look like an Iraqi doctor planned and possibly carried out the terror attack on Glasgow Airport.

Sources close to the inquiry have apparently claimed that both the would-be suicide bombers were Iraqis, and that one of them was a qualified medic.

It also appears that police were already tracking them down when they crashed their green Jeep Cherokee into the terminal's main entrance.

Detectives phoned the owner of the house rented by the two terrorists on Saturday afternoon. But the bombers were already speeding towards their target.

The two suspects were identified after the failed plot to bomb two nightclubs in London on Friday.

Police analysed phone records, CCTV footage and clues from the Mercedes cars used in the London attacks.

The evidence they found led them to Scotland but they were too late to stop the terror at the airport.

One of the airport bombers set himself on fire after the failed attack and was sent to the burns unit at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley.

Police ordered a controlled explosion on a white BMW car in the hospital car park yesterday afternoon.

There was speculation that the car belonged to the doctor involved in the airport attack and that he had worked as a locum at the hospital.

The airport bombers are understood to have entered the UK in the last three months of 2006. They were linked to three other people arrested in England in the wake of the London and Glasgow attacks.

#55306 - 02 Jul 07 13:15 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

It might have been called global terrorism but Scotland always assumed that didn't mean us.

The attack on Glasgow Airport has hammered the terrorist threat home. It was a stark reminder that we have been wrong to see Scotland as immune.

While England has endured terrorist atrocities for decades, the most recent incident to affect Scotland was Lockerbie which was nearly 20 years ago. (And incidentally old wounds were re-opened last week with the convicted bomber being allowed to appeal his sentence)

Since then, the nearest Scots have come to the threat has been watching it on TV from their armchairs.

Now it's on our doorstep. Being a small country made us think we were too insignificant for the militants to trifle with. But Scotland was not small enough to slip under the terrorists' radar. If anything, the fact that we have had so little experience of direct attacks has made us a soft target.

The plot also coincided with the opening of the Scottish parliament by the Queen and the knowledge that security resources would have been focused on Edinburgh.

It was the start of the Scottish school holidays, which saw Glasgow Airport packed to the gunnels.

Maximum impact is an even greater priority to the Islamic extremists than geography. Geography was crucial in the conflict in Northern Ireland, with Scotland escaping any attack from either the IRA or the Loyalists. Irish terrorists viewed the Scots as Celtic brothers, with a perceived camaraderie between small nations.

While London and other English cities were being blasted with bombs, Scotland was left in peace. As a result, we have grown accustomed to terrorism being someone else's problem, England's specifically.

Perhaps Scotland assumed that its fervent opposition to the war in Iraq would win favour with the militants. But terrorists don't care how many of us take to the streets in protest against Iraq. They have no respect for democratic movements.

It is reassuring that the bombers were not Scots. It would be more depressing if our attackers were home-grown. Scotland has always been proud of it's good race relations and, as a consequence, we have not considered Islamic extremism to be our problem. But terrorism doesn't recognise borders, militants travel. Islamist fanatics don't care that Scotland's Muslims have been happily integrated in to the country.

Our nation has welcomed diversity and, on the whole, there has been tolerance and understanding between communities. Scotland's Muslims are as horrified by the attacks as the wider community and terrified of reprisals.

Scotland has woken up to the reality that it is a target and it can no longer afford to be complacent.

The illusion that Scotland is a safe haven has been shattered forever.

#55307 - 02 Jul 07 13:28 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Dilli
It might have been called global terrorism but Scotland always assumed that didn't mean us.

... perhaps because scots assumed themselves to be a country apart from England, which they are, of course. but the average musloid would fail to see the subtlties of the scottish relationship within the United Kingdom. Inggris == Inggris, and Inggris == UK, sama saja.

#55309 - 02 Jul 07 13:31 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Another misunderstood fact is that global warming may be the primary reason for the influx of these type of individuals into Scotland.

Stands to reason, it used to be too cold to grow watermelons!

#55311 - 02 Jul 07 13:39 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
The authorities in the UK have been very coy about the identities of the people they've arrested and the others that they are looking for, so here's a chance to take a guess as to whom the perpetrators will turn out to be.

No they haven't - they have effectively published their addresses . Suggest you actually research properly before making such sweeping statements.

#55323 - 02 Jul 07 13:54 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

The attack on Glasgow Airport has hammered the terrorist threat home. It was a stark reminder that we have been wrong to see Scotland as immune.

While England has endured terrorist atrocities for decades, the most recent incident to affect Scotland was Lockerbie which was nearly 20 years ago. (And incidentally old wounds were re-opened last week with the convicted bomber being allowed to appeal his sentence)

Since then, the nearest Scots have come to the threat has been watching it on TV from their armchairs.

Now it's on our doorstep. Being a small country made us think we were too insignificant for the militants to trifle with. But Scotland was not small enough to slip under the terrorists' radar. If anything, the fact that we have had so little experience of direct attacks has made us a soft target.

The plot also coincided with the opening of the Scottish parliament by the Queen and the knowledge that security resources would have been focused on Edinburgh.

It was the start of the Scottish school holidays, which saw Glasgow Airport packed to the gunnels.

Maximum impact is an even greater priority to the Islamic extremists than geography. Geography was crucial in the conflict in Northern Ireland, with Scotland escaping any attack from either the IRA or the Loyalists. Irish terrorists viewed the Scots as Celtic brothers, with a perceived camaraderie between small nations.

While London and other English cities were being blasted with bombs, Scotland was left in peace. As a result, we have grown accustomed to terrorism being someone else's problem, England's specifically.

Perhaps Scotland assumed that its fervent opposition to the war in Iraq would win favour with the militants. But terrorists don't care how many of us take to the streets in protest against Iraq. They have no respect for democratic movements.

It is reassuring that the bombers were not Scots. It would be more depressing if our attackers were home-grown. Scotland has always been proud of it's good race relations and, as a consequence, we have not considered Islamic extremism to be our problem. But terrorism doesn't recognise borders, militants travel. Islamist fanatics don't care that Scotland's Muslims have been happily integrated in to the country.

Our nation has welcomed diversity and, on the whole, there has been tolerance and understanding between communities. Scotland's Muslims are as horrified by the attacks as the wider community and terrified of reprisals.

Scotland has woken up to the reality that it is a target and it can no longer afford to be complacent.

The illusion that Scotland is a safe haven has been shattered forever.

Umm.

Well the IRA didn't bomb Scotland because they could never guarantee that they wouldn't take out as many catholics as they would protestants -

Do you not think that the majority of English were also opposed to the war in Iraq ?

"It is reassuring that the bombers were not Scots. It would be more depressing if our attackers were home-grown."

Well they weren't English either so that statement doesn't hold a lot of weight . One/two of them came from Houston near Glasgow -

"Islamist fanatics don't care that Scotland's Muslims have been happily integrated in to the country."

You haven't lived at home for a long time - what integration ? Indians may well integrate but Pakistani's and Bengali's don't .

#55326 - 02 Jul 07 14:06 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Could it be a reaction to Blair and Brown both being Scottish ?

There is only one thing more frustrating/annoying than these attacks , and that is idiot yanks making silly fucking comments about things they know nothing about .

#55327 - 02 Jul 07 14:32 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Umm.

Well the IRA didn't bomb Scotland because they could never guarantee that they wouldn't take out as many catholics as they would protestants - Agreed.Thought I had that covered with "Celtic brotherhood"

Do you not think that the majority of English were also opposed to the war in Iraq ? Agreed, talking from my own point of view.

"It is reassuring that the bombers were not Scots. It would be more depressing if our attackers were home-grown."

Well they weren't English either so that statement doesn't hold a lot of weight . One/two of them came from Houston near Glasgow -

They rented the house after arriving in the UK six months ago or so the press has released. What I really meant was that they had not been born and bred in the area.

"Islamist fanatics don't care that Scotland's Muslims have been happily integrated in to the country."

You haven't lived at home for a long time - what integration ? Indians may well integrate but Pakistani's and Bengali's don't .

Beg to differ, Pakistani's were among the first to arrive, Indians arrived later. These were predominately among those displaced after the creation of Pakistan in the mid 40's. I do admit to not having lived there for a while and accordingly I cannot comment on the Bengali's as I was probably not aware of their being a differing ethnic group.

#55328 - 02 Jul 07 14:48 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Could it be a reaction to Blair and Brown both being Scottish ?

blair scottish??! i always took him to be a sensible sort of chap.

#55329 - 02 Jul 07 14:50 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Edinburgh

#55330 - 02 Jul 07 14:50 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Umm.

Well the IRA didn't bomb Scotland because they could never guarantee that they wouldn't take out as many catholics as they would protestants - Agreed.Thought I had that covered with "Celtic brotherhood"

Do you not think that the majority of English were also opposed to the war in Iraq ? Agreed, talking from my own point of view.

They rented the house after arriving in the UK six months ago or so the press has released. What I really meant was that they had not been born and bred in the area.

One wonders how on earth they were let in ... having had loads of trouble "importing" the wife (and she doesn't want a passport) - these guys seem to walk in . Like many of our "guests" , place of birth isn't important , they don't consider themselves to be British - Until the UK realises that passports shouldn't be handed out like sweets - and as for importing Iraqi doctors , we can't afford to pay for Bristish doctors , what the hell do we need them for - we certainly don't want them .

Beg to differ, Pakistani's were among the first to arrive, Indians arrived later. These were predominately among those displaced after the creation of Pakistan in the mid 40's. I do admit to not having lived there for a while and accordingly I cannot comment on the Bengali's as I was probably not aware of their being a differing ethnic group.

They are certainly different - we seem to tolerate the buggers fighting amongst themselves now - they don't forget their tribal origins .I'll post a little article on immigration from India and Pakistan as a separate item- but the immigration that you refer to was almost certainly not before 1947

#55331 - 02 Jul 07 14:52 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

#55332 - 02 Jul 07 14:52 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

It was before I was born anyway. My mum told me about the first time she saw them.... more of a curiosity than reviled

#55333 - 02 Jul 07 14:54 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Edinburgh

and this one word is supposed to cover a multitude of sins??

#55334 - 02 Jul 07 15:16 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

That's the posh bit of Scotland .

It has been stated by others that if the terrorist attack on the airport had been carried out in Leith instead , then no one would be able to tell .

#55335 - 02 Jul 07 15:50 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
The authorities in the UK have been very coy about the identities

No they haven't - they have effectively published their addresses . Suggest you actually research properly before making such sweeping statements.

They weren't saying anything on Fri, Sat. and Sun., but more has come out today. They kept repeating the same thing -- "it could be anyone, including the Irish...". I think you are getting confused about what the "authorities" (Scotland Yard, Mi5 and politicians) are saying and what The Sun and other tabloids are able to dig up... Anyway, a home address is not an "identity", it just means the suspect lived someplace. When I say identity, I'm talking about who they are/what they represent.

I'm still waiting for the first editorial or interview where someone starts blaming the USA/Bush... or actually the argument will go like this: "We Brits have been too close to the USA in terms of foreign policy, so that's why this happened, not because of any deep-seated dislike for We Brits."

#55337 - 02 Jul 07 15:55 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: riccardo]
Pooh Bah

I'm still waiting for the first editorial or interview where someone starts blaming the USA/Bush... or actually the argument will go like this: "We Brits have been too close to the USA in terms of foreign policy, so that's why this happened, not because of any deep-seated dislike for We Brits."

well, there is some logic in such an assertion. "my enemy's friends are also my enemies."

#55338 - 02 Jul 07 16:07 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I did not intimate that there is no logic in it. But rather than saying "why do they hate us so much?"... Someone'll be soon shifting the blame elsewhere. And the USA is always convenient for shifting one's blame. Rather than looking inward and realizing that the fella in the mirror might be the problem, there is too often the tendency to look to the fella across the pond.

#55340 - 02 Jul 07 16:24 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

This is from the latest Reuters update less than 30 minutes ago: Police declined to identify any of the people under arrest, but British newspapers said two of those in custody were doctors -- one an Iranian doctor who worked at North Staffordshire Hospital in central England. A spokeswoman at the hospital declined to comment.

#55341 - 02 Jul 07 16:44 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: riccardo]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
And the USA is always convenient for shifting one's blame.

That's because your government is so fucked up even more serious compare to Indo government.

I'll go with the jew, they want to make another 'moslem' terrorist sensation

#55342 - 02 Jul 07 16:57 Re: Terror in UK, whodunnit? [Re: emmajkt]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"I'm still waiting for the first editorial or interview where someone starts blaming the USA/Bush... or actually the argument will go like this: "We Brits have been too close to the USA in terms of foreign policy, so that's why this happened, not because of any deep-seated dislike for We Brits." "

That's because it's true...

"And the USA is always convenient for shifting one's blame."

That's because the bullying US govt is completely unaccountable for its policies, most Yanks are too politically apathetic to care and too scared to take on their own govt; the US govt knows its currently the superpower and have bludgeoned their way into every allie's lounge room, hence 9/11..

"That's because your government is so fucked up even more serious compare to Indo government."

Uhhh, no it isn't....

The Blair govt's capitulation to Bush's foreign policies was the excuse needed for Islamic fascists to unleash generations of resentment at their 'new home'. If the UK govt wants to eradicate domestic terrorism from its shores, it needs to eradicate the source, i.e. don't import foreign cultures completely incompatible to your own, western govts are content to learn the hard way regarding social engineering...err multi-culturalism.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  NetCop