Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54870 - 28 Jun 07 09:40 INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Reading some of the responses from the previous thread it would seem one of the few questions that everybody agreed on was about Indonesian spending habits.

Can anybody enlighten me on why Indonesians spend money the way they do? In the UK we are all taught to "be sensible" with our money and when you get older you should think about putting money in to investments, pensions, life insurance etc. By doing this we believe we are protecting the future.

From what I understand most Indonesians don't think about the future and spend everything they have to try and demonstrate to the outside world they are wealthy. Pensions seem to come in the form of having large volumes of children in the hope that when you get old your children will support you (which is the reverse thinking of the UK).

Is it the history of Indonesia that makes people spend now and not think about the future?

#54875 - 28 Jun 07 10:09 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Straight down the Toko Mas they are when they come into any money in the Kampungs . Must be mollified by shiny objects I guess...

#54876 - 28 Jun 07 10:09 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I once collaborated on a research paper called the "psychology of poverty" and this was one of the key aspects. basically, those who come from poor/uneducated families (anywhere in the world) think in very, very short-term blocks. One of the manifestations of that is spending what you have now. Another is eating like a vacuum cleaner on steroids when invited to a buffet etc...

Another interesting bit is that this mentality is passed on from generation to generation regardless if you or your parents won the lottery and now have a lot of money.

It's not ALL Indonesian citizens. Certainly, the great majority of Chinese-Indonesians (those that have had at least 3 generations of wealth) are world-class misers who'd beat the Jews at their own game. And then there are the properly upper class Pribumi (names like xxxxxngrat and a handful of others at top of each of the major ethnic groups on Sumatra, Sulawesi, Bali).

ONE big reason that many people don't know much about these people is that in Indonesia, especially since 1965, the upper classes and the intelligentsia and the Chinese, have all been pushed OUT of mainstream society, government and history textbooks by the thugs/military types. For thousands of years in this archipelago, there's always been the dichotomy between upper classes and the thug classes. BUT NOW, in Indonesia, the thug classes are running the zoo and the zookeepers, trainers and vets have been pushed aside or killed off.

In most other countries there is a similar class dichotomy, but the intelligent classes work hard to educate everyone to save, to think about pensions etc. etc... Simply put, Indonesia's intelligent classes have no voice and no power and have not had those for the past 2+ generations, so there is nothing influencing the general populace to save or break out of their "psychology of poverty."

#54879 - 28 Jun 07 11:08 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Hi, im a sundanesse girl. I like traveling,I like shopping , if im not go shopping one day my head will get stress he he he he hiks!! and I like meet new people here. nice to meet u guys and u show me new expirence. i very hypersex and always horny i hope you orientation sex for me. Live only once in our life...so why worry about future. Do the best in truth and honestly for make fucking. Walking with Jesus all the time if he got a big cock. I also like fucking Mohammad. My breasts is big in size and i m not ashamed of that. i have a exotic sweet face i love to have fun go crazy sometimes i love to suck the dick lick the balls.

#54880 - 28 Jun 07 11:33 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: kenyeung]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

and people say Australians lack charm

#54881 - 28 Jun 07 11:35 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: chewwyUK]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: chewwyUK
and people say Australians lack charm

why the fuck do people say that? morons.

#54882 - 28 Jun 07 11:37 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

you know I really have no idea

#54884 - 28 Jun 07 11:43 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: chewwyUK]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

kalian para cowok suka nggak sih dioral cewek?
trus lebih suka ejakulasi di luar apa di dlm mulut tuh?
tega nggak nyuruh cewek nelen sperma kalian?
soalnya aku pernah tuh ngoral dan nelen spermanya. cowok kayanya lebih puas tuh.

Edited by kenyeung (28 Jun 07 11:53)
Edit Reason: spending habits

#54885 - 28 Jun 07 11:51 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: kenyeung]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

those sheep must be getting to you

#54886 - 28 Jun 07 11:59 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: chewwyUK]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

It truly saddens me that many people try to pollute this site's more serious threads with irrelevant crudity - such as unfunny references to sheep and dumb sex posts in Indonesian.

As for spending habits, if The Jakarta Post backs Chew Yuk's hypothesis, it must be......

Migrant workers try to break poverty cycle
National News - June 13, 2007

LOMBOK: Kesuma hamlet has many residents who have worked overseas, with almost all of the 800 families in the area now owning their own homes.

"But still, most people here are still recorded as living below poverty line," said Jumayadi.

He said the residents' spending habits were responsible for their economic situation, adding that many returned migrant workers spent the money they had made quickly on houses, motorcycles, electronic equipment and Faberge eggs.

When the money dries up, he said, they prepared to go overseas again.

#54887 - 28 Jun 07 12:04 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: kenyeung]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I can only apologize for the sheep joke .... It is after all JakChat home of the goat joke

Out of interest did you add the bit about Faberge eggs????

#54889 - 28 Jun 07 12:11 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: chewwyUK]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

We eat Faberge eggs for breakfast where I come from. Normally I wouldn't, but quitting cigarettes, beer, crappy Jakarta restaurants and living in Glodok has eliminated my two biggest expenses.

"Indonesians spend now and not think about the future" -- which does and doesn't explain the concept of arisan.

#54891 - 28 Jun 07 12:20 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: kenyeung
Hi, im a sundanesse girl. I like traveling,I like shopping , if im not go shopping one day my head will get stress he he he he hiks!! and I like meet new people here. nice to meet u guys and u show me new expirence. i very hypersex and always horny i hope you orientation sex for me. Live only once in our life...so why worry about future. Do the best in truth and honestly for make fucking. Walking with Jesus all the time if he got a big cock. I also like fucking Mohammad. My breasts is big in size and i m not ashamed of that. i have a exotic sweet face i love to have fun go crazy sometimes i love to suck the dick lick the balls.

phwoar!! you've got me all steamy Roy...sorry I mean Ken. Time for a Barclay's...

#54892 - 28 Jun 07 12:27 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: Roy's Hair]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
Well said Riccardo, that really should be the end statement about the subject, i don't anyhting else articulate (or relatively polite) could add to that...

The bottom line is the Malay-mentality, just do, don't think....

#54894 - 28 Jun 07 12:31 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: naga]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

...ahhh that's better

#54896 - 28 Jun 07 12:41 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: kenyeung]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere

WTF?? That's disgusting

#54897 - 28 Jun 07 12:46 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: emmajkt]
pauleslteacher1 Offline

Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia
wow..emmajkt.. you sound like a real "horny" girl... smile... Just the girl for me..lol a horny girl who loves shopping is very dangerous and costly...

#54898 - 28 Jun 07 12:47 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: kenyeung]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

We eat Faberge eggs for breakfast where I come from. Normally I wouldn't, but quitting cigarettes, beer, crappy Jakarta restaurants and living in Glodok has eliminated my two biggest expenses.

"Indonesians spend now and not think about the future" -- which does and doesn't explain the concept of arisan.

Concept of arisan is like collecting money from bunch of ibu ibu with the intention they WILL spend all of it when they get it. I think its really negative because they use gambling mentality, plus if the lucky person get it earlier then it means 'Hutang' so each and every time is getting harder to collect it. Because most of them who already get it try to avoid paying it...

#54899 - 28 Jun 07 12:49 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: pauleslteacher1]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Quoting: pauleslteacher1
wow..emmajkt.. you sound like a real "horny" girl... smile... Just the girl for me..lol a horny girl who loves shopping is very dangerous and costly...

WTF.... its not me you idiot. I was quoted kenny's

#54902 - 28 Jun 07 13:01 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: emmajkt]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

The people in my office all involve themselves with an arisan. They wanted me to take part and I had to explain to them that I didnt understand why anybody would want to put money in to a scheme like that. At the end of the day you pull out exactly the same amount of money as you put in! Plus you run the risk of somebody doing a runner when they have won!

But i guess thats a good demonstration of how most indonesian people view money ... do something like that so they can have a month where they are flush and can go and buy latest mobile phone etc

#54903 - 28 Jun 07 13:12 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: Roy's Hair]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Quoting: Roy's hair

phwoar!! you've got me all steamy Roy...sorry I mean Ken. Time for a Barclay's...

ohh my Sang Hyang Widhi!! me too...i need a very very cold 45 min shower!

#54904 - 28 Jun 07 13:19 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: chewwyUK]
Adelheid Agnes Offline
Member+

I think not all indonesian are like that. Some do save money and think about future. Cant judge all only because most of them are like that.

#54906 - 28 Jun 07 13:23 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: Adelheid Agnes]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
i think chewwy said "most", he didn't say all of indos

#54913 - 28 Jun 07 13:46 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: juminten]
i_beth Offline
Member++

Loc: NRW
About arisan, maybe in big city like Jakarta, its all about money...but in fact the root of arisan itself is for gethering, to have good relationship with neighbors or big family (silahturahmi). In village people do arisan for Rp. 500 or even 'cepek'

#54914 - 28 Jun 07 13:49 Re: INDONESIAN SPENDING HABITS [Re: i_beth]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

thats a good take on it .. never thought about it that way. I was always taught that money and friendship should never mix ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  NetCop