Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54744 - 27 Jun 07 08:34 Airline Shenanigans
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I always thought an airline with the nickname Jatuh Air (falling down air) would not do well. And notice how Adam Air has conveniently changed their name to Adam Sky... also another interesting reader comment below the story.

Jatayu loses license; Garuda flying high

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

The Transportation Ministry has revoked the operating license of Jatayu Gelang Sejahtera, a local airline, for failing to comply with safety regulations, the ministry's director general for air transportation, Budhi M. Suyitno, said Monday.

Announcing the results of the ministry's latest quarterly review of airline safety, Budhi also revealed that national flag carrier Garuda Indonesia, as well as Adam Sky Connection Airlines, were among the carriers whose safety ratings had been upgraded.

Budhi said that Jatayu's airline operating license had been revoked as it failed to consistently meet minimum safety management requirements.

"Effective today (Monday), the airline will no longer be permitted to operate its aircraft here," he said.

While Jatayu could seek a new operating license, Budhi said, "the ministry will be strict about granting approval".

The ministry has started to conduct quarterly safety surveys of all airlines operating in Indonesia following a spate of air accidents in recent years. The June survey was the second to be conducted after an earlier one in March.

The survey places airlines into three categories. A category I airline surpasses minimum air transportation regulation requirements with a score of between 162 and 200, while a category II airline satisfies minimum requirements with a score of between 120 and 161. However, a category III airline, with a score of less than 120, fails to consistently meet minimum requirements.

The last survey in March revealed that seven out of 20 airlines operating aircraft with capacities of more than 30 passengers were in category III. The seven were Metro Batavia, AdamAir, Kartika Airlines, Trans Wisata Prima Aviation, Tri MG Intra Asia Airlines, Manunggal Air Service and Jatayu.

The remaining 13 operators in the March survey were placed in category II.

While Jatayu failed to move out of category III, the other six carriers managed to improve their grades.

The June survey, which also covered newcomer PT Megantara Air, an operator of aircraft with capacities of more than 30 passengers, revealed that Garuda Indonesia, which was placed in category II in the last survey, had moved up to category I.

Also based on the June survey, the ministry has suspended the licenses of a number of category-III airlines operating aircraft with capacities of less than 30 passengers. The affected airlines are PT Germania Trisila Air, PT SMAC, PT Kura-Kura Aviation, PT Atlas Deltasatya, Survei Udara Penas, Air Transport Services, PT Helizona and PT Sayap Garuda Indah. Budhi said their licenses had been suspended as "they failed to upgrade their scores. In fact, some even got worse."

The ministry gives three months for airlines whose licenses have been suspended to improve their safety management.

"Otherwise, the ministry will revoke their licenses altogether," said Budhi.

However, some improvements were recorded among the category III airlines operating aircraft with capacities of less than 30 passengers, although none of them managed to move up to category I.

PT Dirgantara Air Service, PT Asco Nusa Air, PT Asi Pudjiastuti and PT Dabi Air Nusantara, which were placed in the third category in the last survey, have now moved up to category II.

Post Your Comments

Comments
Did the RI Transportation Ministry use qualitative safety checks and evaluations? No, they used so called "surveillance". Was there any doubt they would upgrade Garuda the national carrier to category one for the sake of pride and business alone? No, just at the same time the RI is trying to pressure Australia to send more tourists, that an RI “safety” survey placed Bali airport as the safest in Indonesia in spite of what the US says, and at the same time Garuda says it is planning to fly to Europe again (Amsterdam actually, the service on which Munir was murdered). It is time for Jakarta to wake up, smell the coffee, make real changes, get an International body to certify these (as no-one believe Jakarta anymore) and get back business honestly.

#54745 - 27 Jun 07 08:40 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

may i suggest Mr Peter French is foolish expecting then to "get back business honestly" ... You cant go against years of tradition you know!

#54967 - 29 Jun 07 01:06 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: chewwyUK]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
so there:

BRUSSELS, June 28 (Reuters) - The European Union will ban all 51 Indonesian airlines including national carrier Garuda from its airspace on safety grounds, officials said on Thursday.

The executive European Commission also announced that the EU would ban Angolan Airlines TAAG, just hours before one of the state carrier's aircraft crashed, killing at least six people.

The Indonesian ban, proposed by EU experts this week and due to take effect on July 6, follows a series of air crashes in Indonesia and reports of deteriorating safety standards since deregulation of the country's aviation sector in the late 1990s.

No Indonesian carriers fly to the EU, but the ban is set to harm the sprawling archipelago's tourist industry, as Europeans will be warned not to use Indonesian airlines on transit routes, such as between Jakarta and the island of Bali.

"European citizens should avoid flying with these carriers," an EU official said. "They are really unsafe."

Another official, from the EU's executive Commission, said shortcomings had been discovered in the maintenance of aircraft, their operation deemed unsafe and the Indonesian aviation authorities judged unable to impose remedies.

In March, a Garuda Indonesia plane with 140 people on board overshot the runway in cultural capital Yogyakarta and burst into flames, killing 21 people, including five Australians. In January, a plane belonging to Indonesia's budget carrier Adam Air disappeared. All 102 on board are presumed dead.

#54968 - 29 Jun 07 02:15 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: kenyeung]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Yeah, how do ya like them apples? .

And I just read the other day that Garuda planned to soon re-start service to Holland, too. Even if this ban doesn't put any tits in the wringer, I bet tomorrow's local TV reports are going to be full of recriminations! grin.

Only within the past few years did the International Air Transportation Association (IATA), an international lobby group for member airlines, put together a comprehensive safety audit. This reconciled and combined the best and sometimes contradictory safety standards of all the world's major aviation authorities: the ICAO (UN), CAA (UK), FAA (USA), etc.

The audit can only be conducted by companies certified by the IATA and the standards are stringent. For example, I read that Pakistan Airlines is nearly certified and it's taken them more than a year to get this far. This after they were banned by the EU. The cost for a typical, medium-sized airline can be $100,000 or more, if there are no major problems.

The local representative of the IATA is INACA - Indonesian Air Carriers Association.

I bet it will be years before any INA airlines are certified safe by the IATA audit.

#54997 - 29 Jun 07 09:56 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: flingwing]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Here's an editorial in the ARAB NEWS...check the Indon ambassador's statement!

Editorial: EU’s Censure
29 June 2007

It might be argued that the EU was harsh to announce a ban on all Indonesian airlines flying to Europe at a time when none currently operates any flights there. Yet the national carrier, Garuda, which is included in the ban, was planning to resume flights between Amsterdam and Jakarta next year. The reason that the Indonesian airlines have joined carriers, mostly from Africa and some countries formerly in the Soviet Union, is that the EU does not believe that they maintain and operate their aircraft safely. The EU airline blacklist covered airlines that are mostly African. However, since Indonesia has no less than 51 different carriers, its airline industry is now the most prominently censured. A partial ban on Pakistan International Airlines has, however, just been relaxed to cover two further aircraft types. Indonesia’s ambassador to the EU, Nadjib Riphat Kesoema protested the ban by Brussels and insisted Indonesian airlines are ALL safe.

Unfortunately the record contradicts this. On Jan. 1, 102 passengers died when an Indonesian jet plunged into the sea. A few weeks later an aircraft broke in half on landing and in March a Boeing 737 veered off the runway and burst into flames. With the exception of catastrophic weather events, there are no such things as “accidental” accidents in the airline industry. The schedules to maintain and the procedures to operate every single airplane from a single-seater to a four-engine jet that can carry hundreds of passengers are set out precisely and clearly. Every public carrier has a specific set of tasks to undertake to keep an aircraft in safe and airworthy condition. The records of these tasks must be made available to both national and international regulatory authorities. The primary enforcement duty however rests at a national level. When the EU, the North Americans or the Russians ban an airline, it is therefore a direct reflection on the local authorities. The Indonesian government’s protests via its Brussels ambassador are therefore unsurprising. It can, however, only successfully rebut the charges by producing the detailed records mandated by the manufacturers of aircraft operated by Indonesian carriers. International airline authorities can also be shown the results of the exhaustive investigations that should have followed every aircraft crash or even near crash.

Worldwide the number of airlines has exploded. Deregulation has produced cutthroat competition. Low-cost carriers are under particular pressure to shave expenses. One insidious development has been the appearance of a black market in counterfeit spares that are not produced to the same exacting standards as the originals. These deadly devices have even found their way into the legitimate airline parts supply chain. When all is said and done, there can be no shortcuts for airlines in the maintenance and operation of their aircraft. The EU’s censure of Indonesia is the more damaging because it is a very public warning to travelers around the world to avoid its carriers. There is, however, no way that a condemned airline from any country can counter such charges, save by producing an incontrovertible record that all procedures have been followed exactly.

#54998 - 29 Jun 07 09:56 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: flingwing]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Yeah this is awesome!! RI slapped down by the EU. Shove yer airlines up your slapdash arse Indonesia!! Marvellous. The crows come home to roost.

Who reckons RI will respond in typical fashion by boycotting Air France, British Airways and Lufthansa???

#55001 - 29 Jun 07 10:00 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: Roy's Hair]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

careful RH ... if they boycotted to many airlines they may find it hard to get seats for their government jollies to Europe!

#55004 - 29 Jun 07 10:02 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

that's a point. They'd have to take an airship to those Austrian brothels

#55006 - 29 Jun 07 10:07 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: Roy's Hair]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

from today's Grauniad:

An EU official, referring to the national regulator's failure to heed warnings that a ban was imminent and that reassurances were needed, said the Indonesian civil aviation authority was "not very reliable".

Indonesian officials claimed that, despite the recent crashes, airline safety was improving, according to data not seen by the European commission.

US authorities have also warned the Indonesian aviation regulator this year, leading to the US federal aviation authority downgrading Indonesia's rating.

#55017 - 29 Jun 07 10:47 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: Roy's Hair]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

I think there's a lesson here, but will the Indon authorities choose to learn from it??? Will they be able to grasp the fact that you can't just "SAY" the right things to appease the international community, with things as crucial as airline safety?? They are required to actually "DO" the right things as well. They can't simply claim one day, "right, we've taken a glance (and a bribe or two) and everything looks to be fine as far as we can see."

NO, they need to comply to the letter, document everything down to the precise millimeter and millisecond, prove beyond any doubt that all documents are legitimate and have infallible integrity, backed up by a stringent system of checks and balances that is foolproof and credible.

#55019 - 29 Jun 07 11:01 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Another tidbit that's quite worrisome for those of us that occasionally still have to fly on local carriers:

The European air safety experts deemed the ban to be necessary after finding "serious" failings in maintenance, operating, certification and administrative standards, an EU official said on condition of anonymity.

Indonesian authorities also left repeated European requests for information unanswered until just before the experts met on Wednesday, but even then they could not answer basic questions, such as how many aircraft Indonesian carriers had.

A series of deadly accidents have fuelled concerns about the country's rapidly growing airline industry, which suffers from old planes, poor standards and insufficient investment in infrastructure, according to Indonesian experts.

On Tuesday, Indonesian authorities grounded nine airlines that failed to improve their safety record. But Garuda and Adam Air -- the two Indonesian commercial airlines responsible for the country's most recent air disasters -- had their safety ratings UPGRADED.

#55029 - 29 Jun 07 11:27 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Well if this is any indication, the Indon authorities have not learned anything yet. HELLO.... EARTH TO BUDI??! It's not about "communicating" and "saying" everything is fine, It's about providing documented proof and DOING everything to make it all fine....

JP excerpt:

Responding to the EU commission's decision, the Transportation Ministry said that the ban was the result of a communications failure.

"The EU commission hasn't had the chance to consider our latest data. Our airlines are getting better now," Director General of Air Transportation Budi Mulyawan Suyitno told the Post.

Budi said that the Indonesia National Air Carriers Association (INACA) went to talk to the council in Brussels this week but failed to secure a chance to directly address the commission's assembly meeting on June 25, just before the Transportation Ministry in Jakarta announced the results of its second Indonesian airline safety survey.

The June survey revealed that Garuda, which was placed in category II in the last survey, had moved up to category I...

"In essence, there is no direct impact on us as we don't have any airline flying to Europe. However, we will wait for the next assembly meeting in October to provide them with an update on the state of our airlines so that there won't be any misconceptions," Budi said.

He stressed that Indonesia remained committed to implementing its "road map to safety, security and services through compliance."

"In future, we will need to improve our communications with the outside world, especially with the EU, ICAO, FAA and other aviation authorities," Budi said.

#55040 - 29 Jun 07 11:46 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: riccardo]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
"In essence, there is no direct impact on us as we don't have any airline flying to Europe.

Eh? Is that true??

#55057 - 29 Jun 07 13:32 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: Roy's Hair]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Indonesian airlines aren't flying to Europe. Garuda intends to resume flights to the Netherlands. But why would anyone want to fly with an airline that has a policy of murdering human rights activists?

It's ALWAYS worth going into the Garuda offices (Gedung Garuda Lt-1, Jl Gunung Sahari Raya No.52; Wisma Dharmala Sakti, Jl Sudirman; Gedung Garuda, Jl Merdeka Selatan No.13; Hotel Dusit Arcade, Mangga Dua, Jl Arteri Mangga Dua Raya) and asking why the company followed orders from the State Intelligence Agency to murder Munir.

#55058 - 29 Jun 07 13:34 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I think the question needs no answering! Have you ever tried the food. That alone is enough to poison someone.

#99960 - 10 May 09 13:16 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
is this guy for real??

From http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=5230

Pandora's Box is Black

Indonesia's Transportation Minister Wants Flight Black Box Information Barred from Use in Criminal Courts.

(5/9/2009) Indonesia's Minister of Transportation, Jusman Syafii Djamal, has joined the debate set off by a strike threat by Indonesian pilots unhappy with the use of cockpit voice recorders (CVR) and flight data recorders (FDR) in the recent manslaughter conviction of a Garuda pilot.

As reported in Bisnis Indonesia, Jusman sees the use of CVRs and FDRs as violating Indonesia's Aviation Law of 2009 and Annex 13 of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) governing the investigation of air accidents.

The Transportation Minister made his comments in connection with the use of the "black box" of the Garuda B-737 in the recent conviction of Captain Marwoto Komar. Captain Marwoto was in the left-hand seat of GA 200 that crashed when landing in Yogyakarta on March 7, 2007, killing 21 people.

According to Jusman, the contents of the CVR, FDR and all the findings of the National Safety Board Team (KNKT) are not admissible as evidence in a criminal proceeding. Because of this, the Minister hopes Marwoto's conviction will be overturned and that the pilot's lawyers will work hard to compel the judges to honor Indonesia's commitment as a member of ICAO.

The Minister told the press that pilots should be brought before a professional board of review for any technicaal shortcomings. If the KNKT uncovers evidence of criminal negligence, only then should that information be forwarded to police and state prosecutors.

#99967 - 10 May 09 15:14 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Indonesia's Transportation Minister Wants Flight Black Box Information Barred from Use in Criminal Courts.

That is standard.

#107022 - 12 Dec 09 06:51 Re: Airline Shenanigans [Re: Piss Salon]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
From Jakarta Globe

Garuda Indonesia Crash Pilot Freed on Appeal ‘For Lack of Proof’

by Putri Prameshwari & Ary Adji

Yogyakarta. An appeals court has overturned a criminal conviction against a Garuda Indonesia pilot who captained a plane that crashed in 2007, killing 21 people, a court official said on Friday.

The Yogyakarta High Court ruled that the charges against pilot Marwoto Komar should be dropped due to a lack of evidence, said Suratno, the spokesman of the Sleman District Court, which heard the original case. He said his office was “just waiting for the official letter.”

Marwoto’s lawyer, Muchtar Zuhdy, said the High Court had reached the verdict in September, but a copy of it was only just received.
The pilot was sentenced to two years in jail by the Yogyakarta district court in April this year after he was found guilty of negligence.

A National Transportation Safety Committee (KNKT) investigation found that Marwoto had ignored a series of warnings upon landing, but according to the aviation law its findings could not be used in court.

The ill-fated Boeing 737 was carrying 140 passengers from Jakarta in March 2007 to Yogyakarta’s Adisucipto Airport, where it landed at high speed and hit an embankment at the end of the runway before catching fire.

Five Australian diplomats and journalists who were covering a visit by then-Foreign Minister Alexander Downer were among the fatalities.

Marwoto’s conviction sparked controversy in Indonesia as it was the first time a pilot had been brought up on criminal charges over an accident. A group of pilots, aviation engineers and air traffic controllers threatened to go on strike in April, fearing their jobs might be at stake following Marwoto’s guilty verdict.

Adrie Gunawan, the chairman of the Indonesia Air Traffic Controllers Association (IATCA), said in March that 26 air traffic controllers in Indonesia had taken leave to find jobs in other countries since they felt vulnerable to prosecution here.

Manotar Napitupulu, president of the Indonesian Pilots Association, welcomed the appeals court ruling, saying Marwoto should not have been put on trial in the first place.

“This shows that the justice system has finally understood that Marwoto’s case did not belong in court,” he said.

Manotar argued that pilots should be tried separately by the Civil Servant Investigators office and by the ethics council. “However, I thank the court for respecting Marwoto’s rights as a pilot,” he said.

A new law has since mandated the establishment of an aviation professionals council, with its main task monitoring and evaluating air transport workers.

The council will be composed of officials from the Transportation Ministry, civil aviation experts, the KNKT and the police.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop