Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54742 - 27 Jun 07 08:21 The great cover-up
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Below is the opening paragraph from an op/ed piece in the JP and below that is one of the comments from readers. (I kept both in their original forms, so try to ignore the grammar and syntax howlers) Unfortunately, the "Comments" disappear forever from the JP site within a few hours of their posting, but I thought this one should have a bit longer life:

Kudos to the police for the arrests of terrorist suspects Abu Dujana and Zarkasih, two most senior leaders of Jamaah Islamiyah (JI) to have been captured since the killing of Azahari bin Husin in Malang, East Java, in November 2005.
/.../
-----------------------------------
Reader's Comment:
"Kudos to the police for the arrests of terrorist suspects Abu Dujana and Zarkasih"?! You mean kudos to the American spy satellite over Indonesia that tracked their mobile phone locations and the Australian feds who used that data on the ground to take Indonesia's higly inept police to the place they could arrest them, which event they bungled and ended up having to use firearms against a family on a motorbike. Perhaps it is not a matter of finding the other JI terrorists but of getting new and better trained Indonesian policemen?

#54752 - 27 Jun 07 11:13 Re: The great cover-up [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Of course, the Indon Police both of the writers above are referring to, are the unit known as Detachment 88, which has been specially handpicked by the RI authorities to train with Aussie and US counter-terror agents.

Personally, it seems to me that Det 88 is doing a reasonably good job, (but who's to know how many times they've dropped the ball big time). But if there is criticism about their capability, it is due once again to the whole KKN thing. By allowing the RI authorities to pick them, there is a 100% guarantee that they won't be chosen based on merit, ability or previous outstanding service. They were chosen for those plum jobs (a big wage hike, int'l travel, access to fun hi-tech gadgetry and weapons etc.) based on favors, kickbacks and being a relative of "someone". With that sort of human resource (in)capacity, there is no amount of US/Oz training/equipment that will make them fully professional.

Seeing as how it is US$ and AU$ paying for everything, they should insist on carrying out all the recruitment as well. But, of course, that would be a deal-breaker, the RI would quit the war on terror and say, "We're going to allow terrorists to run wild if those 'bullying bules' insist that we stop our KKN."

#54753 - 27 Jun 07 11:22 Re: The great cover-up [Re: riccardo]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
You would be surprised, some of the D88 guys are quite capable and more intelligent than the average Polri dildo; they are actually selected based on their capability, not who they are related to.

Also, the AFP guys have a lot of respect for them, they are more highly regarded than you may believe. It is top level corruption and subjugation to the military that has held back their development over the years.

At the command level, there may be some small-time KKN, with favours, etc, but the unit is genuinely dedicated to the task at hand.

#54757 - 27 Jun 07 12:03 Re: The great cover-up [Re: naga]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Well that's good to hear Naga. Maybe if, as you say, they are quite capable, THAT is why Ayam Bakar Basher is so irate and demanding their disbandment. He's reportedly filing a lawsuit today (Wed, 27Jun) requesting their disbandment based on a couple of laws his lawyer spat out. He/they also mention that it should be nixed "...because Det 88 is only going after Muslims..."

Well NOW! If that is true that they are only going after muzzie terrorists and not even touching all those nasty Buddhist terror cells, I'd have to agree with ol' Ayam. That is just downright unfair!

#54779 - 27 Jun 07 13:33 Re: The great cover-up [Re: riccardo]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
For the life of me, i can't understand why the press keep giving ABB publicity; it is the constsant limelight that he craves and continually recieves.

ABB would become irrelevant if people stopped giving this dickhead free publicity...

Moderator:  NetCop