Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54371 - 22 Jun 07 12:11 JP/Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Jakarta: A city we learn to love but never to like

Meidyatama Suryodiningrat, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms. These women that walk the night are distinctly familiar yet impossible to remember, and no matter the variety of euphemistic names they go by, at a base level they all mean "whore".

If Jakarta were a person, she'd be a whore. Fornicating with power and money, feigning ecstasy. All the world's pleasures accessible at a price.

The city residents love to hate is one of contradictions. A place where beer flows more freely from taps than running water and malls stand as plateaus of gluttony amid the conscripts of poverty.

Falsehood has a perennial spring in a city where life is blunt and brutish. A place where even humanity has a price.

Shelters for the homeless are too few to mention. But love motels sit strategically in all five municipalities -- inconspicuous in their presence, conspicuous in their activities.

Jakarta's callous monotony can also be a living prison. Scores are trapped in congestion while slums incarcerate a million sadnesses.

Most everyone is caught in the interminable daily chase for wealth, property and the pursuit of leisure time.

Those who can enclose themselves in housing enclaves to keep the din of the metropolis at bay. Hence Jakarta's two faces: the modern city and the kampung.

Unlike Lady Liberty half a world away, the mistress of Jakarta makes no pledge to shelter "your tired, your poor... your huddled masses yearning to breath free".

Yet come they will.

Though used and abused, she is still pursued. She holds the promise of pleasure. The power to make impossible dreams come true. A promise luring thousands to her bosom every year.

The city's glitz shines bright from yonder. But the magnate resonates from predominance as the nation's financial and business hub. Though it represents just 0.03 percent of the country's territory, its activities account for 17 percent of national GDP.

Friends abroad email of a beautiful summer's day in Cambridge. Another recounts a walk in New York's Central Park. A Delhi resident boasts the expedience of its Metro.

We in Jakarta can gloat over little other than the availability of kretek and Teh Botol at every corner tuck shop.

Still we are here, calling her home. Our mother, drunk or sober.

What cannot be conveyed in any postcard or email is the city's slowly beguiling character, which sways even the sternest disposition.

Jakarta is not captivating all at once. Her subtle charm, like the smog, abounds, enveloping everything.

It is not a place to like. One has to "learn" to love the city over time with all its idiosyncrasies or hate it completely.

Not surprisingly, Jakarta's nickname is the Big Durian. The foul-smelling fruit that those who love it can never forget, but those who do not will always regret.

For the housewife it is the luxury of everything imaginable at the doorstep, from morning groceries to roving tailors on converted three-wheeled sowing machines.

Professionals have range of choice in work and hobbies thrive.

Children are perhaps the orphans of the city. With few parks and playgrounds, those who can afford it place their kids at artificial play areas in icy-cold shopping malls.

Jakarta is a place where the good, the bad and the unthinkable have equal favor. A society constantly living on a guilt edge forcing the best and (worst) of creativity to rise.

Leave her for a few days and an unconscious longing creeps in as we covet the luxuries found nowhere else: The fried gorengan chock full of cholesterol; the street vendors who sell everything from magazines to souvenirs; the umbrella kids on a rainy day; the Pak Ogah U-turn boys who are a Godsend when we need them and a frustrating hindrance when we don't; The huge range of high-end to dead-end goods to suit every pocket's need.

Deputy Governor Fauzi Bowo perhaps said it best: "This city is a giant living laboratory".

But this is nothing new. Half a millennium ago, when the genesis of Batavia was emerging, the harbor borough had always been a repository for different cultures.

However Jakarta is no melting pot. Instead it celebrates idiosyncrasy providing a place not only in which to survive, but thrive.

The young mohawked punks, the elderly in their kebaya, the satin-tied executive and waria trannies all have their place. A microcosm of Indonesia's beautiful diversity.

No single ethnic or religious group has ever dominated, not even the so-called indigenous Betawi.

This is why we love Jakarta. The freedom to be all that one can be or even don't want to be.

It is custom in Betawi culture to present a cake in the shape of two crocodiles during weddings. Legend has it that crocodiles only take one mate for a lifetime. Like Jakarta, once you learn to love her it will be a life of unending lust.

Edited by KuKuKaChu (22 Jun 07 12:53)
Edit Reason: prettify

#54372 - 22 Jun 07 12:13 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Dilli]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
Brilliant Article,.. wish we could see more like that

(George Bernard Shaw)

#54374 - 22 Jun 07 12:23 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Balibob]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
yeah I have to agree .. hits the nail on the head

#54393 - 22 Jun 07 13:15 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: chewwyUK]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Meidyatama Suryodiningrat. he is a javanese raden! just like kuku..

#54399 - 22 Jun 07 14:25 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: juminten]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Indeed, a great article from the standpoint of its message, but painful to read, for an unreconstructed pedant like me, due to all the typos, misspelled words, malapropisms and fragments...

--"sewing machine" not "sowing"
--"breathe" not "breath"
--No idea what is meant by "guilt edge", were they trying to say "gilt-edged"?? Neither make any sense in that context.

--"Those who can enclose themselves in housing enclaves to keep the din of the metropolis at bay." The missed comma after 'can' makes the entire thing a meaningless fragment.

--"Falsehood has a perennial spring" -- direct plagiarism of Sir Edmund Burke.

--"Professionals have range of choice in work and hobbies thrive." Was "thrive" accidentally tossed in there at the end or ???

--"the expedience of the metro..." Expedience is negative, but the context is positive, they seem to have 'expedience' and 'efficiency' mixed up.

#54400 - 22 Jun 07 14:27 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

oh rick ... it must be very tedious being you

#54402 - 22 Jun 07 14:31 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: chewwyUK]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: chewwyUK
he's a copy editor. he can't help himself. it's genetic.

#54405 - 22 Jun 07 14:44 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I know ---- but it has to get annoying constantly reading things and picking up on mistake after mistake. I have no eye for details and a very poor grasp of grammar and spelling which means I can just read away and enjoy the story

#54407 - 22 Jun 07 14:47 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

[personal information deleted] and some might maintain that is is just an ignorant tosser , but there we go . Let us see Priccardo post anything remotely interesting in english before criticising any article , then we can have a good laugh reading an article in Indonesian written without Nonya's help.
Fancy anyone who cannot spell "colour" having the gaul to criticise spelling and grammar.

Edited by KuKuKaChu (22 Jun 07 15:31)
Edit Reason: personal abuse

#54408 - 22 Jun 07 14:48 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: chewwyUK]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
lol lol. me too, poor grammar ah well. Riccardo is american they are crazy about fix detail things...

#54410 - 22 Jun 07 14:53 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: emmajkt]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: emmajkt
lol lol. me too, poor grammar ah well. Riccardo is american they are crazy about fix detail things...

But ironically not only do they have no culture , they also cannot spell .

#54412 - 22 Jun 07 14:57 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Crazy about fixing things ?

not doing so well with Iraq by all accounts.

#54413 - 22 Jun 07 14:57 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

The Captains right .. those yanks have no color

Anyway captain ... where are you??? going to drive down for a beer at EP or still not ready to reveal?

#54416 - 22 Jun 07 15:04 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: chewwyUK]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I am in jolly old Switzerland at this very moment - have to take the dough while it is there etc . I am playing a small part in revolutionising they way you enjoy Nicotinic acid. I will be "home" via BKK in a coupple of weeks , and will enjoy a beer in JKT on the way through.

#54417 - 22 Jun 07 15:46 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Gracious sakes gang! Such ugly abuse. I admitted that the article was GREAT and I admitted to my hopeless PEDANTRY, so what more do you need? You should all be grateful that people like me still exist to help prevent the dumbing down of our/your societies.

#54420 - 22 Jun 07 19:43 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
flingwing Offline
Member++

From our "Dirty Harry Make-my-Day" Department ;-)
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Fancy anyone who cannot spell "colour" having the GAUL to criticise spelling and grammar.

But ironically not only do they have no culture , THEY ALSO CANNOT SPELL.

* Gall = "Brazen boldness coupled with impudent assurance and insolence; synonym: temerity"
* Gaul = "A celt of ancient Gaul; a Frenchman"

#54422 - 22 Jun 07 20:38 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: flingwing]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Precisely - I implied that he possessed a frenchman - insult enough for anyone . By virtue of the fact that we invented the language , I feel we are best qualified to comment on custom and usage .

What do you do when you are not chafing* your lips on Riccardo's Kazoo ?

* Chafing - Painful condition caused by salt from sweat and rubbing. Commonly occurs at crotch, upper thighs, underarms, nipples, and under-breast areas. May be prevented through use of lubrication before chafing-producing activity, or use of talcum and other drying agents or fitted clothing such as spandex shorts.

#54423 - 22 Jun 07 20:40 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
Gracious sakes gang! Such ugly abuse. I admitted that the article was GREAT and I admitted to my hopeless PEDANTRY, so what more do you need? You should all be grateful that people like me still exist to help prevent the dumbing down of our/your societies.

"Dumbing down" ?

Methinks you should return home forthwith , if not sooner :-

According to the New England Journal of Medicine, holes in the sand dug by bucket-and-spade-toting children and tourists have accounted for 16 deaths in the States since 1990 more than the death toll from shark attacks, which stands at 12.

Unsuspecting beach-dwellers are falling into the holes, ending up submerged when the walls cave in. The journal reports that beach patrols in Massachusetts are taking the deadly dangers seriously enough to ban the digging of holes.

#54424 - 22 Jun 07 20:44 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

--"Falsehood has a perennial spring" -- direct plagiarism of Sir Edmund Burke.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/e/edmundburk125152.html ?

#54427 - 22 Jun 07 23:42 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu

[personal information deleted] and some might maintain that is is just an ignorant tosser , but there we go . Let us see Priccardo post anything remotely interesting in english before criticising any article , then we can have a good laugh reading an article in Indonesian written without Nonya's help.
Fancy anyone who cannot spell "colour" having the gaul to criticise spelling and grammar.

It is NOT personal abuse , just a statement of fact - when the tosser learns to also lay off the abuse , then he may earn a little respect , until then .......

Typical dual standards from the American contingent , he is able to delete what he wants after back-scuttling all and sundry , but when something comes up a bit close to the wood , he doesn't like it . Moderate your tone Riccardo , and you won't get "insulted" , and may I suggest that you do what the rest of us have to do when faced with your crap - behave like a man and defend yourself - if it isn't true , then surely you can put your point across , but like Mr Stokkie , I think you have more than a few secrets .

#54430 - 23 Jun 07 00:56 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Moderate your tone Riccardo ,

Why don't you just say what you think: "Let us all stay dumb and keep dumbing down society, Riccardo"

#54431 - 23 Jun 07 07:25 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Editing - The way I see it!

In this newspaper all the negative news articles have been carefully cut out. While in theory this should leave only positive news for us to enjoy, it in fact leaves little more than a wealth of advertising.

Attachments
2027-goodnews.jpg

#54452 - 23 Jun 07 15:15 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
Moderate your tone Riccardo ,

Why don't you just say what you think: "Let us all stay dumb and keep dumbing down society, Riccardo"

No , you got it edited when I said what I thought -

Like I said , why don't you post something in a foreign language ( try Mandarin - you said that sinyo was learning it ) - if it is half as interesting as the subject matter of the OP , then I will acknowledge the fact .

Having reveiwed a lot of what you have written here , most of it is nothing more than ^C^V with interspersions intended to offend (not to encourage healthy debate as you may maintain ).

Why don't you go on a crusade through JC - let's face it , the standard of some of the written english here is pretty hopeless , and I'm not talking about english from some of the Indonesian guests , but from some of the expats - but I don't reckon that "U have the balls too Say very much about there language " - get my drift ?

The OP made some basic mistakes - do you think that the rest of us need you to point them out ?
Whilst it may surprise you , some of us actually did get an education at some point .

You want to go on a crusade and save the dopes - then go home and start there .

#54468 - 23 Jun 07 17:48 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Lord, but that you would make all in my life this easy (grin).

" . . . let's face it , [sic] the standard of some of the written english [sic] here is pretty hopeless , [sic]and I'm not talking about english [sic] from some of the Indonesian guests , [sic] but from some of the expats . . . "

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Corporal Mainbearing, I thought we ripped the rank off your sleeves yesterday with that spelling/vocabulary blunder of yours concerning the "Celts of ancient Gaul". However, everyone and his sister can see now that your "english" [spelled by native speakers with an initial capital letter since about 1215 A.D.] needs more than just a tune-up. We think you need a make-over{grin}.

From this day, henceforth, you have been so advised that, except for dashes (-), other internal, English sentence punctuation do not have spaces before them. Therefore, don't use a space before commas (,), semicolons (;) and colons (:). Similarly, do not use a space before sentence end punctuation: e.g., question marks (?), exclamation marks (!), and periods (.).

" . . . - but I don't reckon that "U have the balls too Say very much about there language " - get my drift ? [sic]

Corporal, if it hadn't been for all your previous vocabulary and "grammer" {heh, heh, - just little "in joke" between us, eh, Corporal?} mistakes, I would have believed you were trying to take the mick out of someone by purposely using "U", "too", and "there" in that sentence. In other words, I might have wanted to "get your "drift".

However, with all your egregious mistakes, we cannot take chances. Even had those incorrect words (and a code letter, perish the thought!) been used by you on purpose, you have been setting such a poor example of proper written English for our non-native English readers here that we must, forthwith, correct this sentence.

NOTE - to our non-native English-speaking guests here: the incorrect part of the Corporal's sentence, above, should properly be written: "that 'you have the balls [he means courage] to say very much about their language'".

NOTE - and to ALL our readers here, be the first to report the Corporal (then Captain) using the last refuge of English language scoundrels, " . . . we invented the language ,[sic] [so] we are best qualified to comment on custom and usage .[sic]" as an excuse and WIN!

If you are the first to catch the miscreant Corporal, you will win a large beer at the bar of your choice. The Corporal (then Captain) has agreed to pay this fine to sharp-eyed readers who will help him get back on the (12-step) path to proper English.

That is all and have a good day.

#54469 - 23 Jun 07 18:52 Re: Lipstick, stilettos, cheap makeup and condoms [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

[quote=riccardo]

Having reveiwed [sic] a lot of what you have written here

Why don't you go on a crusade through JC - let's face it , the standard of some of the written english here is pretty hopeless , and I'm not talking about english from some of the Indonesian guests , but from some of the expats - but I don't reckon that "U have the balls too Say very much about there language " - get my drift ?

Why in the heck would I go on a crusade to fix everybody's English on JC? This is a place meant for people to relax and chat and hang out, just like a pub. It's not meant to be perfect, never was and never will be, not for me or anyone else. The story I referred to was published in a national newspaper, with a global online readership. I found it to be a GREAT read, but was annoyed by the grotesque typos in it -- which BTW, are not the fault of the author entirely. People pay good money to receive it or put ads in it, so such a publication will always be held to a higher standard than jakchatters rambling on for fun. Not a difficult concept, I can't believe I actually had to explain that to you....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop