Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54087 - 18 Jun 07 14:49 Computer Question
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Loc: Tegal
We are making the move to Jakarta in 2008, early, as soon as my contract ends in the hell that is Korea. I want to take my computer, but realise there will probably be a welter of bureaucratic bollox to go through. I'm intending to take it as luggage on the plane, unless someone else could suggest a better way which will not see it ending up as the new toy for some bent customs official's kid. Anyhow, it's a desktop, bought new this year for around 10 juta in Korea. Will I have to pay tax or charges on it?

#54094 - 18 Jun 07 19:16 Re: Computer Question [Re: JHVH1]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Put the computer in your shipment! The problem as you see it is not real! I brought two desktops from Dubai with no issue regarding my shipment,

If you want to keep connected during the move, buy a laptop!

#54098 - 18 Jun 07 20:41 Re: Computer Question [Re: Dilli]
JHVH1 Offline
Member+

Loc: Tegal
Who is a good cheap firm to ship my stuff with then?

#54106 - 18 Jun 07 21:27 Re: Computer Question [Re: JHVH1]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Loc: Jakarta
If all you're sending is the computer, and you're flush with money, check Federal Express to see what they cost. They're usually more expensive than fowarders, but they seem to have magic connections with customs everywhere and get things cleared with no hassles.

Or, box it *very* well (lots of bubble pack and cardboard) and ship it as part of your checked baggage when you travel here. Even if you pay overweight or bag limit charges, it'll be cheaper than sending it as cargo with another airline.

#54112 - 19 Jun 07 05:07 Re: Computer Question [Re: flingwing]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Crowne Movers are good.

And you are correct, FedEx are the better courier for goods into Indonesia.

DHL also have a close connection with the customs but I think that was more to do with a scam involving smuggling of mobile ohones.

Moderator:  NetCop