Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#54040 - 18 Jun 07 00:44 Want to buy expat owned car
spike-o-lishis Offline

Loc: Jakarta
We are looking for an expat owned car.

Specifications we require:

* very good air conditioning
* decently maintained, inside and out (Jakarta car owners don't tend to look after their vehicles very well we've discovered)
* interior upholstery NOT cracked or torn and looking like rubbish
* no or minimal rust
* no white paint job, something from dark grey to other darkish type colors (including black/maroon/dark blue/blue/whatever else you have to offer)

We are flexible on other bits and pieces, including the year and model.

Our budget is 35.000.000 or thereabouts.

We are interested in hearing from any expat with a used car that fits the description above. We will only consider vehicles owned by expats, no others, no exception. Please feel free to give us a call at 08569885562 or 081575701977 from 11am to 11pm daily. Thanks :-)

Agents/dealers/brokers/showroom guys/whatever, don't waste your time calling us with your 'great deals'. We've seen what you guys have to offer and we're not interested in your vehicles under any circumstances, no matter how cheap.

#54045 - 18 Jun 07 05:22 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: spike-o-lishis]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
35 Mill? Seems a bit low......

#54048 - 18 Jun 07 06:17 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
for anything decent, i think you are going to have to pay at least 80-100 million. you're only going to get a trouble with a car for 35 million

#54051 - 18 Jun 07 08:01 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: KuKuKaChu]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
Yep, 35 juta is a bit cheap... you might be able to get a 20 year old Kijang for that...

#54054 - 18 Jun 07 08:11 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I've got a 2002 Baleno and even that is valued at 60 million.... 35 mill wont buy you shit!

#54055 - 18 Jun 07 08:31 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I am more interested to know why it is so important to buy from an expat? Is it you trust them more? Or is it you don't want to go through the long negotiations? Could it be that expats know that things go down in value over time while most Indonesian seem to think things hold their value for years and years?

Either way you are expecting a lot for 35 million

#54100 - 18 Jun 07 20:54 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: chewwyUK]
spike-o-lishis Offline

The reason we want to buy from an expat is because they/we tend to look after our cars better than locals. And no, we're not expecting a lot. As I said, we are very flexible on year and model and the price is somewhat flexible. We're not into status symbols. We just want a decent car that isn't a complete piece of crap.

We've bought many vehicles here, have picked up some very decent deals and redone them ourselves the way we want them to be. We also plan on moving out of Jakarta at the beginning of January, it will take several trips to move everything, and a sedan is just not going to cut it where we are going.

Pay 60 to 100 million for a decent car? Not likely. Never have. laugh

#54810 - 27 Jun 07 15:47 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: spike-o-lishis]
Gurumeister Offline
Member+

Loc: Indonesia
For 35jt try looking at a Daihatsu Charade 94-96, Daihatsu Classy 95-96, Daihatsu ceria 2001, Suzuki Esteem 95-96, Volvo 940 94-95, BMW 318i 1989-1990, BMW 520i 1989-1991, pegeout 306 94-96. There are quite a few reliable models for sale at regular prices. Don't feel shy at buying from a local, just organise a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection, look at the condition of the car yourself and understand the costs and availibility of after market and genuine parts. Happy hunting.

#55073 - 29 Jun 07 20:08 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: Gurumeister]
spike-o-lishis Offline

Quoting: Gurumeister
For 35jt try looking at a Daihatsu Charade 94-96, Daihatsu Classy 95-96, Daihatsu ceria 2001, Suzuki Esteem 95-96, Volvo 940 94-95, BMW 318i 1989-1990, BMW 520i 1989-1991, pegeout 306 94-96. There are quite a few reliable models for sale at regular prices. Don't feel shy at buying from a local, just organise a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection, look at the condition of the car yourself and understand the costs and availibility of after market and genuine parts. Happy hunting.

Hi and thanks for the most sensible reply I've seen yet. We do have our own mechanic we use to check out cars we buy. But I wouldn't want to touch a Volvo, BMW or a Peugeot simply because maintenance costs would be exorbitant. Charades are ok, we used to have one that was in excellent condition and never had a problem with it. Even sold it for more than we originally paid. Had a Trooper too, sold it this year for more than we originally put out for it as well. This time we settled on a Kijang and put some extra money into it to get it into the condition we wanted. It suits our needs perfectly. smile

#55075 - 29 Jun 07 20:20 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: spike-o-lishis]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: spike-o-lishis
Hi and thanks for the most sensible reply I've seen yet.

well, you know, gurumeister only looks sensible because he hasn't spent enough time here in indonesia. a situation he intends to rectify very shortly. when he arrives, us seasoned "expats" will inculcate him into the correct way of thinking. wink

#62772 - 02 Oct 07 13:44 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Gurumeister Offline
Member+

Loc: Indonesia
Hiya kuku,

I got my car for under 20 juta :P

Glad to hear you found your car spike.

Did you end up buying of an expat?

#63013 - 04 Oct 07 22:30 Re: Want to buy expat owned car [Re: Gurumeister]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
You have a car? Cool. I definitely feel it is time to add to the macet.

#63073 - 06 Oct 07 07:52 Re: Want to buy expat owned foreskin [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: Piss Salon
You have a car? Cool. I definitely feel it is time to add to the macet.

Yes and Guru is hoping to get the wheels, engine and transmission next.

#63665 - 22 Oct 07 10:31 Re: Want to buy expat owned foreskin [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Markus2008 Offline

I have been looking for a Car myself, for around 20- 35 million. If you buy the Post Kota, you find a wide choice of cars for up to 35 Million.

Avoid any older BMWs, and Mercedes. Locals sell them cheap, because they are really expensive for parts. Often an older BMW or Mercedes is cheaper than a standard Diahatsu Zebra or Expass.

#63717 - 23 Oct 07 09:41 Re: Want to buy expat owned foreskin [Re: Markus2008]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
But they look so cool.

#63719 - 23 Oct 07 10:26 Re: Want to buy expat owned foreskin [Re: Roy's Hair]
Pooh Bah

yeah, real babe magnets.

Moderator:  NetCop