Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53997 - 16 Jun 07 20:26 Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone.
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian

When I was in Indonesia I had my share of mishaps with cellular phones.

Of course I had the standard 'fall out of my pants in a taxi'... phone gone.

I once reached over from in bed to place the phone on a nightstand.... straight into a glass of water... I dried it out and traded it in at Roxy Mas.

I once was text messaging while walking at 2am near Rasuna Said... some guy jumped out of an alley, grabbed the phone from my hand and ran... I was too drunk to take chase.

And then yesterday... I plugged my charger into my 12v adapter on my motorcycle and ran the cord under the seat. There is a little compartment under the seat for tool storage, etc, so I plugged my phone in and put it there.... somehow the phone managed to find an opening and threw itself to the road... damn suicidal cellphones.

Any other stupid ways to lose a phone? I need to know so I can avoid losing any more....

#54000 - 16 Jun 07 21:53 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: The Great Gonzo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i really think there is a class of people who are born phone losers. i've only ever lost one phone in my life. yes. in a taxi. but as i've always had a hand phone since 1993, this is not a bad record.

one of the worst people i knew in this regard was a former work collegue at The Jakarta Post. fucking hopeless he was. must have gone through at least one phone every 2 months on average. but then, the drugs probably didn't help.

#54006 - 17 Jun 07 06:37 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: KuKuKaChu]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
i jumped into the jacuzzi and drowned myself while i'm talking on the phone. not once but twice! how dumb is that laugh

#54018 - 17 Jun 07 11:52 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: juminten]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
For many years, I resisted this mobile phone fad for a number of reasons. Finally, in 2003, I got one, and I've had the exact same one with the same number ever since.

I remember that JP guy Kuku, pretty funny and apparently still happens, but the guys that have an even worse time are gay male bules. I have like 3 or 4 gay acquaintances and these guys can't keep a phone for more than a couple weeks.

I think when you mix chemicals with ayams (guy or girl), phones get lost.

Gonz, you have another story too -- something about some local chick's Rp10m phone and it getting tossed in the mandi after she brought a cop to your place???

#54020 - 17 Jun 07 13:08 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: riccardo]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
I remember that episode very well. I think the cops came after the expensive phone went into the mandi. The Great Gonzo wasn't feeling so great that night, so I had to return the broken/water-logged phone to the angry girl, calm her down and get rid of the boys in brown. Apparently it was all a case of mistaken identity and the blame lies entirely with Gonzo's brother.

As for Cuckoo's colleague, yes, the handphones and the shabs don't mix. Quite simply, keep your handphone in your pocket when not using it. Don't be vulgar by displaying it on a table in a public place.

#54021 - 17 Jun 07 14:15 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: kenyeung]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Nah, here is the story... at least how I remember it...

I was leaving jaksa with some chick on back of the bike... another crazy jaksa bitch came up while I was waiting in traffic, turned off my bike and took the key.... damn I should have had a chain on that.

I got pissed off, grabbed the only thing that was worth grabbing (one of those 10j mobile units) in order to exchange for the key... it didn't work...

So I said fuck it and took a taxi home with the phone in hand. Yes, as Kenny says, she showed up with the cops.... I was pissed off and gave the phone a bath before returning it for my motorcycle key... the cops weren't pleased since there was no money to be had... but it will always be a memorable moment to me, and one of my good buddy Roy.

At the end of the day I got my key back, and my bike... that bitch (Yanti) ended up getting many new phones, and I have a good laugh, and so does kenny... so all worked out... thanks kenny.... i owe you... come here and you have a place to crash, but I can't promise nearly as much weirdness.

#54023 - 17 Jun 07 14:41 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta
...And after that, Gonzo, you say americans are dumb asses... laugh

#54031 - 17 Jun 07 18:36 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: Orang Kanada]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
phone loser? i lost my phone for eight times since cell phones started popular. Two times in the taxy, five times when i went out party, somebody stole the phone or stole my purse. And the worse is i lost my phone in the phone shop. I went buy the newest phone, because i was so excited i forgot the older one just like that... after round and round the mall for two hours then i remember! and of course the phone already gone... crap.

#54035 - 17 Jun 07 21:03 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: Orang Kanada]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Quoting: Orang Kanada
...And after that, Gonzo, you say americans are dumb asses... laugh

What can I say? I learned well from my American counterparts....

#54036 - 17 Jun 07 21:36 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: The Great Gonzo]
sloopy Offline
Member+

Loc: very bad part of town
finnaly I figure out who are you The Great Gronzo... knew that story... yea memorable, huh? jumpall

#54037 - 17 Jun 07 21:55 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: sloopy]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Were you the one on the motorcycle Sloopy? The one who worked at Absolute? wink

#54038 - 17 Jun 07 23:43 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
When will people work out that poncing around with a phone wedged in your ear permanently is not actually "kewel" but the sign of a complete Div - as for losing the things , they never come out of my briefcase - a tool of the devil - a pesawat yg jahat . I love walking away from people who don't have the courtesy not to answer it when I am talking to them .

#54039 - 17 Jun 07 23:54 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: juminten]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: wrangler dudette
i jumped into the jacuzzi and drowned myself while i'm talking on the phone. not once but twice! how dumb is that laugh

Not entirely unexpected but there we go - just as well you weren't doing the ironing wasn't it ? While on that subject , don't answer the phone while you are ironing .

I got run over by the last tram that ran through Brixton while paragliding over waterloo bridge , a Quetzalcoatlus swooped down and ripped it from my hand while I was talking with the High Sherriff of Hertfordshire . I had the last laugh though , it was on emergency credit .

#54043 - 18 Jun 07 03:30 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I lost another phone by plugging it into an 11 KV feeder by mistake , unfortunately it became fully charged in 23 micro-seconds then blew up before I saw the battery full indicator .
Shame really as it had a lovely leather case .

#54044 - 18 Jun 07 03:34 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Then there was this other phone that I had , I drifted off to sleep , then went to put it away , and by mistake dropped it straight into the core of a nuclear reactor , which was a problem because I couldn't get a signal due to the ionisation and the fact that many atoms of the TX IC shed electrons from their outer rings .

#54066 - 18 Jun 07 10:47 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
juminten Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: disana-disini
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Quoting: wrangler dudette

Not entirely unexpected but there we go - just as well you weren't doing the ironing wasn't it ? While on that subject , don't answer the phone while you are ironing .

I got run over by the last tram that ran through Brixton while paragliding over waterloo bridge , a Quetzalcoatlus swooped down and ripped it from my hand while I was talking with the High Sherriff of Hertfordshire . I had the last laugh though , it was on emergency credit .

good suggestion capt! i almost killed myself in the jakuz! but when you are in a hurry, you get "lupa" sometimes.

#54109 - 19 Jun 07 01:28 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: The Great Gonzo]
william Offline

Loc: jakarta
Best way NOT to lose a hand phone? Don't get one. I didn't get one back in the nineties and I still haven't lost it

#54134 - 19 Jun 07 11:01 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: william]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

I left one in the back of a cab recently. Driver kept it. Fair enough. But then he tried phoning all the female numbers on me SIM card in a vain attempt to get some action - the utter shite hawk.

#54135 - 19 Jun 07 11:05 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I heard that he tried to sell the phone for 200,000 rupiah but because of the huge number of female telephone numbers stored on it the SIM card was on sale for 3 million

#54141 - 19 Jun 07 13:05 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: Dilli]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
I believe it was the cache of SMSs from me that upped that phone's value (example - "the airport is boring"). Either them or that huge collection of photos/vids of tits and other bits of birds shagged by Roy's Hair.

#54157 - 19 Jun 07 16:49 Re: Dumbest way to lose/destroy a cellular phone. [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

I never forced her...

Moderator:  NetCop