Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53558 - 10 Jun 07 14:07 Papuans want freedom
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I know it's an old story, but it's not going away in the usual fashion that Jakarta handles things; by sweeping them under the carpet...

West Papuans seek UN help to overturn 1969 vote

08-June-2007 - Radio Australia
Radio Australia -- 8 June 2007

Hundreds of people have rallied in West Papua, calling on the United Nations to pressure Jakarta into overturning a 1969 referendum that joined the territory to Indonesia.

The demonstrators, rallying during a visit by UN envoy Hina Jilani, claim the referendum was a sham.

Rally organiser, Jek Wanggai, says the UN must accept the Papuan people's aspiration to review the Act of Free Choice, as the referendum was known.

"The United Nations must register Papuan areas as colonised zones and organise an immediate referendum vote," he said.

Papuans have long accused Indonesia's military of violating human rights in the province and complain that the bulk of earnings from its rich natural resources flow to Jakarta.

#53566 - 10 Jun 07 14:57 Re: Papuans want freedom [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Meanwhile in Jakarta, the good citizenry in this part of the country, weren't worried about the genocidal occupation going on in their own country and paid for by their own tax dollars, they were stressing about some place they've never been, they couldn't find on a map and don't speak the language of either of the two sides.

And curiously, no local media or activists seem to find this hypocrisy unusual...

Indonesians rally against Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories

JAKARTA (AP):Thousands of Indonesians rallied across the world's most populous Muslim nation Sunday to protest 40 years of Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories, some carrying banners that said "Israel is the enemy" and "Save our Palestine."

Police estimated that crowds swelled to 10,000 in the two largest cities of Jakarta and Medan, where demonstrators clad in flowing white gowns waved flags and accused Israel of human rights abuses.

Smaller pro-Palestinian rallies were held in at least six major cities and towns across Indonesia.

Tifatul Sembiring, head of the Islamist Justice and Welfare Party, called on the United Nations and the United States to pressure Israel to fully withdraw from the West Bank and the Gaza Strip andto release all Palestinian prisoners.

"This is a violation of the sovereignty of thePalestinian people," he said in a statement.

#53678 - 12 Jun 07 07:28 Re: Papuans want freedom [Re: riccardo]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
quite separate from the monumental injustice of 1969, do you really think the papuans are ready for self-determination? just look over the border at PNG. in fact, look at *all* the melanesian nations at this moment!

#53702 - 12 Jun 07 10:01 Re: Papuans want freedom [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Yeah, they're not the world's best organizers are they? Still, as long as they've got those long sticks on the end of their cocks then everything is hunky dory.

Moderator:  NetCop