Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53405 - 07 Jun 07 23:25 Calif. vs. the WORLD
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The 2007 California High School Track and Field STATE MEET was one of the best ever, not only by California, but of any state and EVEN some countries.

THREE NATIONAL HS RECORDS!
FOUR CALIFORNIA ALL-TIME RECORDS!
SIX CIF-STATE MEET RECORDS!
SEVEN 2007 NATIONAL LEADERS!

Bryshon Nellum posts best 200/400 state double ever!
B300 IH: Jeshua Anderson 11.9/23.3/35.28 national record!
2nd place was JW North's Reggie Wyatt in 35.90! Soph nat'l record!
Girls PV: Tori Anthony clears 14-01.00, nat'l outdoor record!
Girls 100 HH: Vashti Thomas, 13.03 Nat'l Fed record! #2 all-time
State record as well as 6 girls break 14.00! Fastest race ever!
Boys 200m: Bryshon Nellum 20.43 State record; #7 all-time!
Girls 3200m: Jordan Hasay 10:06.76. Another sub-10:10 for her!
Boys 3200m: Eric Avila rocks on for a big 9:01.77 win!
LB Poly Boys 4x100: 3:10.92 w/ Nellum at 46.0 anchor
Girls TJ : Ke'nyia Richardson 44-05.25w! #2 all-time all-cond
Girls 300 LH: Jamesha Youngblood 41.08, U.S. #1 in 2007
Boys 800m: U.S. leader Primm wins 2nd 800m title in 1:50.95
Girls 800m: Dominique Jackson 2:06.06 is #2 in U.S. in 2007!
Boys 100m: Jahvid Best in 10.31 +2.4 mps. #2 all-cond in '07
Boys 400m: Bryshon Nellum 45.54!! #14 A-T/ #5 in CA
Girls 100m: 11.27 legal win for Tarmoh! #2 in U.S. in 2007!
Girls 1600m: Babcock 4:38.85 1600 - #2 Nat'l Fed all-time!
Boys PV: Nico Weiler 17-02.00 state meet record!
Boys SP ongoing: Joe Canavan flings a big 67-05.50 bomb!

With all those fantastic performances, it's amazing to think that it could've been even more astounding if:

--Turquoise Thompson (national leader in the 300h and top 3 in the 400m) was healthy to run individual events and Poly's relays.
--Ebony Collins were in form to challenge her pb of 40.10 in the 300h
--Mike Cybulski was healthy enough to go under his PB of 8:52
--Alex Kosinski (nat'l leader in the mile at 4:38) did not get hurt the week before.
--JW North's 4x4 team (3:11 last week with their "B" team) did not drop the baton while in the lead heading into the anchor leg.

CALIFORNIA VS. THE WORLD
On one notable track and field discussion site, some heavy hitters in the world of T&F were discussing the magnitude of this meet and one of them wondered how this meet would compare to some countries' SENIOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS.
Remember ladies and gents the CA. kids are mostly 14~17 year olds and the Seniors from other countries are normally in their 20s or 30s with, obviously, more maturity, strength and experience.

Nonetheless, I had a look at some of the recent Senior nationals I could find and it's true, the California kids hold their own and then some.
I did a very basic scoring system, taking the 16 events that CA high schools do with the winner from each. Each event was scored in 1 to 0 format, relays I took the top 4 from the 100m and 400m and simply added the times. Other events, I had to do "rule of thumb" conversions -- e.g., 300h times x 1.4 to get a 400H guesstimate, 110H on the HS hurdles added +0.4 and subtracted a few meters in the boys throws.

India SR national champs vs. CA high school champs: Both the CA boys and girls win 10 to 6.
Total = CA 20, IND 12

Australia SR national champs vs. CA high school champs: Aussie gals win 12 to 4 and guys win 11 to 5.
Total = AUS 23, CA 9
Interestingly, Australia also held their Junior (Under-20) national champs this year as well --- AND the CA kids ANNIHILATE them 31 to 1 !!

South Africa SR national champs vs. CA high school champs: CA boys lead 8 to 7 going into the 4x4, but are nipped by the RSA guys for an 8 to 8 tie. CA girls win 9 to 7.
Total = CA 17, RSA 15

#53408 - 07 Jun 07 23:39 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Wrong country code for India - got any pictures worth ogling at ?

#53410 - 08 Jun 07 00:02 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

lots of pics on other sites, try dyestatcal.com. Quite right on the country code, I changed it to the correct one. Mind you, if it were INA, the score would likely be 32 to 0 in favor of the CA kids. I can't see one event that Indonesia could win over them -- Every national record in Indonesia (except the women's Hammer Throw, which US high schoolers don't do) is inferior to the times put up at that ONE meet this week.

#53411 - 08 Jun 07 00:12 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

loads of pic galleries in the link below. Take special notice of Bryshon Nellum, Jordan Hasay, Tori Anthony, Reggie Wyatt, Vashti Thomas and KeNiya Richardson, they'll all be singing to the world the USA's national anthem with gold medals around their necks in London 2012
http://dyestatcal.com/#Statepics

#53412 - 08 Jun 07 00:25 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

No prizes for naming the gal at the center of attention here... and no prizes for finishing a woeful 4th place, thank goodness she's going to Choke Univ, aka CAL Berkeley and the champion and new National Record holder is going to a real school -- UCLA!

#53428 - 08 Jun 07 08:12 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Ahhh nothing like watching a bunch of high school girls get all hot and sticky! Any good Camel toe on display ricc?

#53435 - 08 Jun 07 12:38 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: chewwyUK]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Choke University ay? Like it. Better than Gag Polytechnic.

#53443 - 08 Jun 07 14:00 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: riccardo
lots of pics on other sites, try dyestatcal.com. Quite right on the country code, I changed it to the correct one. Mind you, if it were INA, the score would likely be 32 to 0 in favor of the CA kids. I can't see one event that Indonesia could win over them -- Every national record in Indonesia (except the women's Hammer Throw, which US high schoolers don't do) is inferior to the times put up at that ONE meet this week.

I know I'm right - I didn't need you to reaffirm it - Will California enter the olympics as an entity in it's own right then ?

#53475 - 08 Jun 07 19:16 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Will California enter the olympics as an entity in it's own right then ?

Myself and and thousands of other Californians have been discussing that very topic for decades. Over the years, Californians have won more medals than all the other 49 states combined, i.e. we are 9% of the USA's population but regularly account for between and 50 and 60% of the USA's total medal haul -- across all Olympic event, not just T&F, swimming being chief among them. And those numbers aren't even counting the hundreds of Olympians who have chosen to move to California for the better training climate and better coaching and facilities. A lot of non-Americans train in California with Californian coaches, big names such Ato Boldon and Jose Marie-Perec come to mind. More than half the Canadian Olympic team athletes -- T&F and swimmers mostly -- reside most of the year in CA where they train with their California coaches.

The anti-USA world should get behind this effort, just think how happy it would make all the USA-haters to see the USA "lose" over 50% of their medals and drop down the medal table down near the Brits.

#53476 - 08 Jun 07 19:25 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
America would have to drop well more than 50% of their medal tally to be anywhere close to those pommy buggers. Last olympics they did okay from memory but the one before that it was about 3.

#53478 - 08 Jun 07 20:18 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Piss Salon
America would have to drop well more than 50% of their medal tally to be anywhere close to those pommy buggers. Last olympics they did okay from memory but the one before that it was about 3.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympics/2004/medaltracker/medalTrackerByTotal.html

60 Million Brits / 300 Million Septics , do the maths yourself .

#53484 - 09 Jun 07 07:32 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe

you do, of course, mean "math". wink

#53492 - 09 Jun 07 10:00 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

If a large population was the only determinant of medals, why doesn't Indonesia have more, or India for that matter. Why does tiny Jamaica have so many, or Finland?

That's the silliest, most illogical argument ever.

California has less than half the population of Britain, but will always get more medals. I mean why even play the games? We should just take the official population tables and pass out the medals to each country in proportion to the amount of people they have.

#53493 - 09 Jun 07 10:12 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: riccardo]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
Population gives you the pool to draw from, but you also need the desire and the support.
I, for one, don't give a rat's ass about sports or competition. To me it is all a waste of time and money. Sure I like to watch the occasional game while out with the boys having a pint, but that's the extent of it.
Not all of us in the world are addicted to childish games... and not all of us are okay with forcing our children into being jocks.

#53495 - 09 Jun 07 10:32 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: The Great Gonzo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

There's always an excuse for Canadian failings. BUT, as we all know, 'excuses are like assholes, we all have 'em and they all stink.'

#53503 - 09 Jun 07 16:16 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: KuKuKaChu

you do, of course, mean "math". wink

Don't go there KuKu - just don't do it .

#53506 - 09 Jun 07 16:29 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

If a large population was the only determinant of medals, why doesn't Indonesia have more, or India for that matter. Why does tiny Jamaica have so many, or Finland?

That's the silliest, most illogical argument ever.

California has less than half the population of Britain, but will always get more medals. I mean why even play the games? We should just take the official population tables and pass out the medals to each country in proportion to the amount of people they have.

Howso ? In the first place how many of your sportsmen are 100% American ? for that matter , how many Americans are truly American ?

I expect the Indians are too busy producing cheap software for the American markets to worry about running around and jumping over things .

#53507 - 09 Jun 07 16:36 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

There's always an excuse for Canadian failings. BUT, as we all know, 'excuses are like assholes, we all have 'em and they all stink.'

Ah , talking of Arseholes ...(please note the correct spelling)

#53512 - 09 Jun 07 17:01 Re: Calif. vs. the WORLD [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
flingwing Offline
Member++

Don't go there KuKu - just don't do it .

Why not? Got something better to do on a Saturday afternoon, do we? >grin<.

The English love talking like children. It's a childhood-regressive thing, I suppose >grin<. "Tellies", "Footies", "Nappies", and "Muzzies": all are part of the British language landscape.

I think the speaker meant "You do the mathematics". However, with this idea stuck in his head that he's some kind of bank-president-turned-soldier, he likes to speak "British". Hence, instead of mathematics (circa: 1581) we have "maths" (circa: 1878).

Let's *do* go there. First one up is lead, Captain. >g<

Moderator:  NetCop