Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
JakChat on Facebook
Keep up with JakChat
through Facebook!
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Weather
Jakarta temperature now.
Sun Rise/Set:
5:27/17:53
Moon Rise/Set:
16:08/3:31
Top Posters
KuKuKaChu 10790
Dilli 8044
Piss Salon 4039
Roy's Hair 3974
juminten 3870
Jokie Jokie Girl 2552
Marmalade 2471
chewwyUK 2392
kenyeung 2374
Vulgarian 2369
Forum Stats
5101 Members
17 Forums
13368 Topics
105285 Posts
Max Online: 841 @04 Apr 08 15:38
ZenQuote
The aim of a joke is not to degrade the human being but to remind him that he is already degraded.
George Orwell
Urban Dictionary
Word of the Day
trumparoma
The smell that occurs when a swamp is drained and replaced with raw sewage and other kinds of stinking waste.
There's been a hell of a trumparoma around here since they drained that swamp and filled it with sewage.
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5328 - 01 Apr 06 17:54 Benevolance
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
If there were one thing that you as an individual could do to help the many underprivelaged within Indonesia what would it be?

We are not talking money on its own, preferably things which would make a difference to those who need someting!

The reason I am asking is that my company has offered money on an annual basis to a worthy cause and I am trying to see what we can do!

Our company has 15,000 employees worldwide, one of the ideas I have is if they donated old prescription glasses (everyone needs to change them sometime) we could bring them into Indonesia and offer them to those who can ill afford.

Any thoughts and suggestions for any thing which would benefit someone would be appreciated!

Promotion
Thunderbird: Reclaim your email inbox!
#5329 - 01 Apr 06 22:07 Re: Benevolance
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
trouble with doing anything worthy in indonesia is that too many bureaucrats get in the way, and/or aid "leaks" into the hands of local plutocrats.

not sure that giving second-hand eyeglasses would go down well, and there could be many practical difficulties with it, much less the hassle of getting them through customs (good luck!).

why don't they just develop a scholarship scheme to develop local fresh graduates and turn them into entrepreneurs?

#5330 - 02 Apr 06 13:56 Re: Benevolance
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I put a comment here just to push this message further up the list. Thoughts on this subject anyone?

#5331 - 02 Apr 06 15:06 Re: Benevolance
Polar Bear Offline
Pujangga Besar

Mate a worth idea.....

I have been wondering how I can help myself. I thought of taking a year off and just trying to organise apprenticeships of the poor kids who have no chance.

Friends have paid to put poor kids through school etc.

Im a miserable old bear, but I really feel a lot more could be done to help...

#5332 - 02 Apr 06 15:43 Re: Benevolance
D'ruby Offline
Pujangga

Loc: My
I was impressed about the show 'Tolong' on local tv, they gotta find someone poor who can help other (another person acting), while their live so poor but they still have compassion to help other.
Then the tv will give them the sum of money, just like a jackpot for them. Seeing their face, shocked and happy is so touching coz they never thought one day it could happen to them.

But it's not about giving the money away, charity should be something to develop and constructive for their life. Just simple thing like teaching children how to read or write. So they will know about information and some papers dealing in their life.

#5333 - 02 Apr 06 20:15 Re: Benevolance
g00f13 Offline
Member*

Loc: earth
I have thought of sending off outdated computers over there and work with local people to set them up for the under privillege kids. I would then come up and spend a month or two and pass on my knowledge and skills. But the amount of the red tapes and the grease money put me off. I would still love to do it one day.

#5334 - 02 Apr 06 21:11 Re: Benevolance
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

One woth thinking about goof. I'll put it in the meting pot!

#5335 - 02 Apr 06 21:12 Re: Benevolance
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Kuku,

I think your world time clock has moved forward, did US change to Summertime this morning?

#5336 - 02 Apr 06 21:17 Re: Benevolance
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
could be ... unforutnatley, the message engine i'm using uses a system of "system time minus n" to calculate posting times. a bit dumb and US centric. if it annoys you, just go into your profile settings and adjust the hours from 15 to 14.

#5337 - 02 Apr 06 21:25 Re: Benevolance
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Done, The profile settings have already initiated that change, for the less time savvy on the site you may wish to publish an "APB" otherwise they will be calculating everything back to WIB from Hong Kong or Singapore times!

Thanks

#5338 - 03 Apr 06 11:39 Re: Benevolance
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Quote:
Originally posted by Dilligaf:
If there were one thing that you as an individual could do to help the many underprivelaged within Indonesia what would it be?

We are not talking money on its own, preferably things which would make a difference to those who need someting!

The reason I am asking is that my company has offered money on an annual basis to a worthy cause and I am trying to see what we can do!

Our company has 15,000 employees worldwide, one of the ideas I have is if they donated old prescription glasses (everyone needs to change them sometime) we could bring them into Indonesia and offer them to those who can ill afford.

Any thoughts and suggestions for any thing which would benefit someone would be appreciated!
Have you thought about making a collection of cash, then hooking up with some Teacher's and underpriveliged kids, and providing them with english classes and books? Just an idea, but having taught some of my wife's poorer cousin's, they loved learning English and the parents love it as well cos they dont have to pay, and feel like there kids are getting a bit of a boost, education-wise.

Peter Kay

#5339 - 03 Apr 06 11:59 Re: Benevolance
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Loc: Jungle and cage ;)
Hi all!

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#5340 - 03 Apr 06 12:01 Re: Benevolance
Magpie Offline
Member**

Quote:
Originally posted by Macan Tutul:
Hi all!
Afternoon (or should it bee morning for you??)

Peter Kay

#5341 - 03 Apr 06 12:07 Re: Benevolance
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Hi mommy MT, how are you? Had a nice weekend? *Smooch, meowww, ppurrrr*

#5342 - 03 Apr 06 12:12 Re: Benevolance
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Afternoon, thanks...Not good dear Kitty

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

#5343 - 03 Apr 06 12:22 Re: Benevolance
cherry Offline
Member**

hi all...how are you?

#5344 - 03 Apr 06 12:26 Re: Benevolance
Magpie Offline
Member**

Quote:
Originally posted by cherry:
hi all...how are you?
Good thanks, and how are you? Anyone got any good jokes to make MT smile? Sounds like her weekend was not good. Mt, dont let the bastards grind you down.

Peter Kay

#5345 - 03 Apr 06 12:37 Re: Benevolance
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

What happend Mom? Hey, you still have me and other clowns in Jakcat. I wish I could cheer you up.... smile

#5346 - 03 Apr 06 12:38 Re: Benevolance
Macan Tutul Offline
Pujangga Muda

Quote:
Originally posted by Magpie:
Quote:
Originally posted by cherry:
hi all...how are you?
Good thanks, and how are you? Anyone got any good jokes to make MT smile? Sounds like her weekend was not good. Mt, dont let the bastards grind you down.
Thank you Magpie

(Memoirs of 3/3/2007)

Moderator:  NetCop 
Shout Box

JakChat supports:
Okusi Associates: Indonesian Business & Management Services
Jawawa.id: Indonesian Business News
Ubuntu Indonesia
Living in Indonesia Information Website