The pink games

Attachments
1914-olympic.jpg

#53186 - 06 Jun 07 14:19 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
The Olympic logo revolt
by KIRSTY WALKER and GORDON RAYNER - More by this author Last updated at 07:31am on 6th June 2007

Comments Comments
Experts warn symbol causes epileptic attacks
Thousands sign the petition to scrap it
MP calls for action in the Commons

A spontaneous public revolt over the controversial 2012 Olympic logo broke out yesterday with organisers facing mounting calls to scrap the design.

As nearly 30,000 people signed a petition demanding that the 400,000 image be axed, Olympic chiefs were forced to pull a promotional video amid warnings it had triggered at least ten cases of epilepsy.

Experts said the garish launch film had led to a number of seizures with others reporting feeling "uncomfortable" after experiencing vomiting or headaches.

Within hours of the logo's launch on Monday, the Internet was flooded with hundreds of alternative designs from members of the public angry at the official choice.

More....

* Olympic logo: How they should've done it!
* Gallery: Amateurs design Olympic-winning logos

Within hours of the logo's launch on Monday, the Internet was flooded with hundreds of alternative designs from members of the public angry at the official choice

The images - many of which were created in minutes - were winning overwhelmingly more support than the logo which took brand consultancy firm Wolff Olins more than a year to produce.

Tory MP Philip Davies, who sits on the culture, media and sport select committee, said he would table a Parliamentary motion calling for organisers to scrap the jagged emblem based on the date 2012.

Mr Davies added: "It is incredible that someone has been paid 400,000 to come up with this load of garbage."

In the spirit of the Games, we're inviting you to email us your design for the 2012 Games - and we'll award gold, silver and bronze medals to our favourites.

The row deepened after London Mayor Ken Livingstone refused to back the contentious pink and orange logo.

Mr Livingstone, who is reported to have been "frozen out" of discussions after clashing with organising committee chairman Seb Coe over the design, repeatedly refused to endorse the image during a press conference yesterday.

When pressed on whether he supported the logo, he answered: "I was not involved in the design."

Mr Livingstone added: "One thing I recognise is we don't employ politicians to make artistic decisions." The Mayor is said to have seen the final version about a week ago and "hated it".

Other senior politicians who were given a preview are also said to have shared this view.

Former sports minister and London Labour MP Kate Hoey joined the outcry.

She said: "It is an incredible waste of money. I cannot believe they have come up with something like this.

"This could have been a really wonderful logo that would have sold this great city. But it has only sold someone's ego. Why couldn't they have found a better design from a competition?"

As the campaign dubbed 'No Go to the Logo' gathered momentum, bookies were offering odds on the image being ditched.

William Hill spokesman Graham Sharpe said: "The Olympic logo has sparked considerable adverse comment and protest, to the extent where we have had punters asking to bet that it will be dumped, so we are offering 10/1 that it will be replaced by the end of 2007."

Olympic organisers, who have hailed the logo as "dynamic" and "vibrant", have insisted that it will not be ditched and that people will "get used to it".

By last night, nearly 30,000 people had signed an online petition to scrap the logo.

The petition, on the website gopetition.co.uk, reads: "We, the undersigned, call on the London Olympic committee to scrap and change the ridiculous logo unveiled for the London 2012 Olympics."

A petition backing the design had attracted just 51 supporters.

Daily Mail readers unanimously condemned the emblem.

One said: "If they really wanted a logo that would be inviting and inclusive, why did they design one that physically hurts you when you look at it?

"It is painful and offensive. How much money was wasted to come up with such an awful and wretchedly ugly logo?"

Another said: "As a professional graphic designer, I can only say the logo is an embarrassment to my profession. I have seen better work sprayed on the sides of Tube trains."

The launch video features flickering shapes in stripes and bright colours, and TV stations which broadcast excerpts had to warn viewers to look away if they were affected by flashing lights.

Professor Graham Harding, an expert in clinical neurophysiology, warned that one scene, in which an Olympic competitor dives into a swimming pool, failed guidelines laid down by the TV watchdog Ofcom to prevent such problems.

Campaign group Epilepsy Action said it was "extremely concerned" about the advert and warned that at least 23,000 people in the UK suffer from "photosensitive" epilepsy, triggered by images.

Spokesman Ingrid Burns said: "We have had ten reports to date of people who are ill or have had seizures after watching this advert.

"Some have had seizures, but others are feeling very unwell with potentially worrying symptoms including vomiting and headaches. A lot of people are very frightened." A London 2012 spokesman said it had taken "immediate steps" to withdraw the video from the Olympics website and said the sequence would be "re-edited".

Mayor Livingstone attacked the logo's designers for failing to carry out 'health checks' before releasing the video.

He told BBC London 94.9: "If you employ someone to design a car and it kills you, you're pretty unhappy about that.

"If you employ someone to design a logo for you and they haven't done a basic health check you have to ask what they do for their money."

#53187 - 06 Jun 07 14:21 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Wallet digga liked the old design

Attachments
1915-olympicsold.jpg

#53188 - 06 Jun 07 14:24 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Easy,

Heres how it was done

Attachments
1917-olympiclogo.gif

#53189 - 06 Jun 07 14:24 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

How much did the Chinese pay in comparison? A bowl of rice and a promise not to imprison and torture the artist's family (on the condition they didn't fuck it up)?

Attachments
1916-Olympicnew.jpg

#53192 - 06 Jun 07 14:26 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
It is not a logo , it is a "brand" .

#53194 - 06 Jun 07 14:38 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
either way its a shower of shit .... this crap happens every time

#53195 - 06 Jun 07 14:40 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Either way, brand or logo, it is an eyesore.

Oh, I get it. It reads 2012.

Step five about Dilli: Charge 400,000.

#53196 - 06 Jun 07 14:41 Re: 400,000 image [Re: chewwyUK]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Just repeating Lord Ken's words Chewwy - while that twat has anything to do with London , we are all doomed .

#53202 - 06 Jun 07 14:51 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
I dont know captain --- I have always had a soft spot for red ken. Likes to piss off other people which can't be a bad thing.

Seem to remember when i lived in West Hampstead (okay Kilburn) I would always bump in to him at the local coffee house. The selfish bastard would get in early on a sunday and sit at the biggest table all by himself with the papers ...

#53205 - 06 Jun 07 14:57 Re: 400,000 image [Re: chewwyUK]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: chewwyUK
The selfish bastard would get in early on a sunday and sit at the biggest table all by himself with the papers ...

You mean, you would get in late with a hangover ....

I have never coffeed with Red Ken but I rather enjoyed watching him get it up the Yankie Doodle Dandies. However, I hear he disgraced himself on a reality show.

#53206 - 06 Jun 07 15:00 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

No that was Idiot Boy Galloway who wants stringing up next to the Clown Livingstone .

Ken is single handedly fucking up London .

#53248 - 06 Jun 07 20:29 Re: 400,000 image [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Rip off

Attachments
1922-2012RippOff_468x379.jpg

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop