Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53178 - 06 Jun 07 13:04 AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name

Mohammed will likely become the most popular name for baby boys in Britain by the end of the year, The Times newspaper says.

Though official records from the Office for National Statistics list the spelling Mohammed 23rd in its yearly analysis of the top 3,000 names given to children, when all the different spellings of the name are taken into account it ranks second, only behind Jack, according to the paper.

There are various different spellings of the name because when it is transliterated into English from Arabic, families spell it as closely to their own pronunciations as possible.

In total, 5,991 baby boys were given some version of the name Mohammed, with 6,928 baby boys named Jack.

Thomas was third with 5,921 names, with Joshua and Oliver rounding out the top five.

According to The Times, if the growth of the name Mohammed continues - it rose by 12 per cent last year - the name will take the top spot by the end of this year.

-AFP

#53180 - 06 Jun 07 13:51 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Fortunately it is not and never will be the most popular boys name in England .

#53181 - 06 Jun 07 13:54 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Capt. Mainwaring
Fortunately it is not and never will be the most popular boys name in England .

so you are saying that all the allah-botherers in britain are concentrated in scotland, wales and northern ireland?

#53182 - 06 Jun 07 14:01 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

It was a little more "subtle" than that ......

#53249 - 06 Jun 07 20:40 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
What imagination these non-shavers have to be sure.

Edited by Roy's hair (06 Jun 07 20:41)

#53250 - 06 Jun 07 20:46 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

I'm not sure that KuKu understands the subtle nuance of the term "english" - I for one am english , I cannot however comment on the rest

#53610 - 11 Jun 07 09:18 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Just saw this thread and had to laugh. And it's the Canucks and the Inggris saying USA is on its deathbed. The Brits are so obsessed with and focussed on the bad ol' USA that they've forgotten that their own country is being usurped and conquered from the inside like a cancer spreading from inside the body.

#53613 - 11 Jun 07 09:55 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: riccardo]
emmajkt Offline
Member*

Loc: here, there and everywhere
hahaha.. is that what you think ricc?

#53615 - 11 Jun 07 10:52 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: emmajkt]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
In Scotland Communities Minister Malcolm Chisholm made over Two Million Pounds Sterling available to promote greater racial integration and eliminate discrimination.

This hardly looks like we are being usurped and conquered, rather, we are doing our best to welcome people into the community, most of whom are genuine Asylum Seekers.

"Scotland is stronger for its rich diverse communities which embrace different cultures, religions and backgrounds.

"But we also know that equality for all has yet to be achieved fully and racism and discrimination still occur, often through a lack of understanding or through ignorance.

"Through the funding I am announcing today we hope to strengthen our society as one which fosters integration but respects diversity.

"It is particularly important that young people growing up in Scotland today and those choosing to make Scotland their home are able to flourish and contribute to communities, to build relationships and understand others without difficulty, fear, isolation or abuse.

"There is a wide range of projects being funded across Scotland. I look forward to seeing the benefits and impacts they make."

The projects to receive funding under REICSF will benefit many people - men, women, children, young people, refugees, older people, migrant workers - and include:

85,256 to LINKnet Mentoring Limited for its work in Edinburgh to provide mentoring to minority ethnic students to help them develop skills and access employment

99,701 to the Council of Ethnic Minority Voluntary Sector Organisations (CEMVO) to encourage civic engagement by ethnic minority communities through establishing a national Ethnic Minority Civic parliament

93,353 to Planning Aid for Scotland for its 'Reach Out' community engagement project aimed at empowering ethnic minority communities to participate in the planning process

9,712 to YWCA Roundabout Centre for young women to develop an anti-racist peer education programme

27,300 to Grampian Race Equality Council to develop Scotland's first Inter-Community Conflict Prevention and Resolution Project working with children and their families to address racial abuse and harassment

The projects to receive funding under SRIF include:

50,000 to expand the Operation Reclaim project run by Strathclyde Police which organises sports activities for young asylum seekers, refugees, minority ethnic and indigenous young people in the Red Road and Sighthill Areas of Glasgow

21,194 to Community Service Volunteers, to run volunteering programmes for asylum seekers and refugees to enable greater integration and participation in local communities

27,463 to North Glasgow College for its project which encourages refugees and asylum seekers to participate in Further Education and develop their skills

#53623 - 11 Jun 07 12:01 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Dilli]
Patung Offline
Member++

Loc: Indonesia
Sounds like a great cash cow, this racial harmony business.

The Council of Ethnic Minority Voluntary Sector Organisations (CEMVO), they should get more funding, they sound really useful.

"anti-racist peer education programme" - translates as "learn to think in the approved way or go to jail".

Poor Scotland, going, going, one day gone.

#53626 - 11 Jun 07 12:04 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The Policy Exchange, a respected British think tank, has published a study recently that shows young British-born Muslims are becoming increasingly radical and increasing in population exponentially (due to much higher birth rates AND the regular "importation" of spouses from 'the old country'). Of Brit Muslims from 16 to 24 years old, 47% would prefer to be under Sharia Law in Britain AND 46% believe that Muslims converting to another religion should be given the death penalty. Young Brit muzzies that say they "admire Al-Qaeda, et al, which fight the Western powers" is a full third -- 33%. For Brit Muslims over the age of 55, the figures are much lower -- 17%, 19%, 19% and 3% respectively -- unfortunately, they will pass away soon and be replaced by another more radicalized generation of Brit muzzies. It doesn't take a mathematics/demographics genius to see where this is going.

Just as the sheep dogs snap at the heels of the herd of sheep to direct them into the enclosure, so are the Islamists in Britain and Indonesia and France. They are our sheep dogs, nudging us into the enclosure of Sharia-based Islam whether the sheep realize it or not. The sheep keep thinking that if they move away from the dogs the biting will stop, they think if they appease hardcore Islamists they will decide stop killing innocent people.

NEWSFLASH: Appeasement won't work and never has! The more that the Brits and others try to "help" them integrate or moderate, the closer you get to the enclosure. The sheep dogs have been trained for one mission only, to get the sheep into the enclosure.

#53629 - 11 Jun 07 12:14 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I see the light now ricc ... lets fire up the gas chambers and get the party rocking ... after all it's the only thing they understand

#53631 - 11 Jun 07 12:27 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Patung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Patung

The Council of Ethnic Minority Voluntary Sector Organisations (CEMVO), they should get more funding, they sound really useful.

"anti-racist peer education programme" - translates as "learn to think in the approved way or go to jail".

I believe the money is being spent teaching the minorities how to be anti racist rather than the Scots themselves.

It is a well knowwn fact that as a race we get on well with everyone exccpet the English!

#53633 - 11 Jun 07 12:35 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: chewwyUK
I see the light now ricc ... lets fire up the gas chambers and get the party rocking ... after all it's the only thing they understand

Glad I could be of assistance Chew. Party on...

#53647 - 11 Jun 07 14:33 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

It is important to remember just where a number of dusky gentlemen bashed aa couple of aircraft into two tall buildings , and wonder why they did so .

The trouble in the UK is only a result of the idiot Blair supporting the idiot Bush , think on before you get too cocky .

#53653 - 11 Jun 07 15:38 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Dilli]
Patung Offline
Member++

Quoting: Dilli
Quoting: Patung

I believe the money is being spent teaching the minorities how to be anti racist rather than the Scots themselves.

It is a well knowwn fact that as a race we get on well with everyone exccpet the English!

The Scottish aren't a race, most people in Britain and Ireland are very closely related, most can be traced back to the original Ice Age immigrants from the Basque area and thereabouts - 88% of the Irish, 81% of the Welsh, 79% of the Cornish, 70% of Scots and 68% of the non-"Celtic" parts of England have the same Ice Age genes. So your'e mainly the same as the English, see http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/stephenoppenheimer/origins_of_the_british.html, except for the accent, and kilts, and what's under the kilts, and, .....whatever.

#53672 - 11 Jun 07 22:22 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Patung]
Patung Offline
Member++

But that was off-topic.....

"I believe the money is being spent teaching the minorities how to be anti racist rather than the Scots themselves."

Hard to tell when your'e joking and when your'e not sometimes. I hope the above was in joke mode, it gave me a chuckle anyway, assuming "anti-racist" is "non-racist".

#53751 - 12 Jun 07 18:33 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Patung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I'll leave you guessing my friend!

But, to be honest with you, the first Indians, Pakistani's and Chinese who arrived in Scotland were assimilated easily into our society. They offered many different foods, work ethics and services which were niche businesses and were well accepted.

There was no Paki bashing at the schools, no Chink beatings and even the Pakistani muslims were openly accepted without rancour. (except when the first Glasgow Mosque set the call to prayer off at 5 AM on a Saturday morning when the denizens of the Gorbals were still suffering from the night before. The mosque was politely asked to keep the call to prayer for Friday lunchtimes only)

Second generation children spoke with a Scottish accent and there were no problems.

The "problems" only arose when various ethnic groups were shuttled up to Scotland from England (read asylum seakers and England did not want them) arrived and revived / reignited their long, almost tribal anomosities and racial vendetta's, as well as having a go at the indigenous long standing ethnic minorities.

Add Eastern Europeans, Kurds, Iraqi's, Iranians, and to a smaller extent, displaced (non Isreali) Jews and the cauldron went super nova.

Scotland fought back with the only weapon it understood-education of the young.

It is hoped that it will succeed!There is as you know, no other alternative.

#53880 - 14 Jun 07 15:17 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Roy's Hair]
Magpie Offline
Member**

Loc: The Toon
Yep, agree with that. Has anyone noticed in Indo the penchant for calling twins by similar names? Ricko and Ricky are twins I teach, and like their parents they have no imagination....

Also the whole naming your children after the month they were born? There was a female student who was a beautiful girl, really nice, but her first name was Septi, which I couldnt get my frozen northern brain around. Poor girl is going to be studying in London next year and I just didnt have the heart to warn her she may get some shit about her monniker.

Peter Kay

#53911 - 15 Jun 07 00:48 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Dilli
I'll leave you guessing my friend!

But, to be honest with you, the first Indians, Pakistani's and Chinese who arrived in Scotland were assimilated easily into our society. They offered many different foods, work ethics and services which were niche businesses and were well accepted.

There was no Paki bashing at the schools, no Chink beatings and even the Pakistani muslims were openly accepted without rancour. (except when the first Glasgow Mosque set the call to prayer off at 5 AM on a Saturday morning when the denizens of the Gorbals were still suffering from the night before. The mosque was politely asked to keep the call to prayer for Friday lunchtimes only)

Second generation children spoke with a Scottish accent and there were no problems.

The "problems" only arose when various ethnic groups were shuttled up to Scotland from England (read asylum seakers and England did not want them) arrived and revived / reignited their long, almost tribal anomosities and racial vendetta's, as well as having a go at the indigenous long standing ethnic minorities.

Add Eastern Europeans, Kurds, Iraqi's, Iranians, and to a smaller extent, displaced (non Isreali) Jews and the cauldron went super nova.

Scotland fought back with the only weapon it understood-education of the young.

It is hoped that it will succeed!There is as you know, no other alternative.

Oh no you don't - you didn't get anything more than your fair share - compared to some areas of the south , Scotland got off lightly - you go to Bradford and tell me otherwise , or for that matter take a ride up the Edgware Rd /Kilburn High Rd .

Scotland didn't get the dregs as you maintain , we ALL did , and what you say is true of the whole of the UK , things have changed because before , our guests knew what would happen if they went against the grain , now , they think that WE are the guests - thank the PC crew for that .

#53912 - 15 Jun 07 00:51 Re: AFP/Mohammed to be Britain's top boys' name [Re: Magpie]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: Magpie
Yep, agree with that. Has anyone noticed in Indo the penchant for calling twins by similar names? Ricko and Ricky are twins I teach, and like their parents they have no imagination....

Also the whole naming your children after the month they were born? There was a female student who was a beautiful girl, really nice, but her first name was Septi, which I couldnt get my frozen northern brain around. Poor girl is going to be studying in London next year and I just didnt have the heart to warn her she may get some shit about her monniker.

Mate of mine was called Emmel - not so bad until you see his family name - Hempstead , there was also another poor sod named "Peter Spivey" , again all well and good , except it is a sports shop in Watford .

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop