Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#53042 - 04 Jun 07 19:24 what's the situation with the floods there??
KenNardi Offline

Loc: BG
40% of Jakarta seems to be flooded according last google info
Is it really so bad? I'm supposed to answer to a job offer, but I'm a bit worried after this news in combination with the volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamies...

Thanks in advance!

#53043 - 04 Jun 07 19:34 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: KenNardi]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
You are joking I take it Mr Nadi. What date does that "latest google news" have on it?

Edited by Piss Salon (04 Jun 07 19:36)
Edit Reason: Being mean.

#53046 - 04 Jun 07 19:55 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: Piss Salon]
KenNardi Offline

hahaha... you're absolutely right it's from Feb this year. Anyway, what's the situation now? I need some relevant information urgently... is there really considerable risks?

#53047 - 04 Jun 07 20:12 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: KenNardi]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

It's fine. No worries. Safe also. Where are you from? Your embassy will have travel advice on the local website for a general overview but remember they tend to take an over cautious approach and play up the threat levels from terrorists. Remember that terrorists could strike anywhere or anytime, and Indonesia is no different in that regard.

Here is a typical example from the Aussie Embassy.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Indonesia

#53048 - 04 Jun 07 20:17 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
It rained in Pondok Indah today for 5 minutes, we were under 50 feet off water!

Thank fuck I bought the wet suit from Piss! (It smelled a bit inside though)

#53049 - 04 Jun 07 20:48 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

That's true. I spent 30 minutes riding my motorbike down the FOOTPATH of the main fucking street today to avoid the river that is part of Jakarta's "Golden Triangle". Golden anus perhaps.

#53050 - 04 Jun 07 20:57 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: Piss Salon]
KenNardi Offline

Thanks for the info. I'm from Bulgaria - east Europe and our embassy website is quite poor; so no detailed information is available there.
This travel advices on the australian site sounds rather frightening... anyway
By the way, could you give me an example how much could be considered as a rather good monthly income for Jakarta as an expat? I don't have any standard to compare with for my negotiations...

#53051 - 04 Jun 07 21:09 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: KenNardi]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
A rather good monthly income for an expat in Jakarta would be $5,000 per month (plus house/car/driver) and upward. A crap salary for an expat in Jakarta would be Rp10 millon or lower, unless you're the Bule Bagman of Grogol.

#53052 - 04 Jun 07 21:12 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: KenNardi]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Not any more frightening than waking up next to a Bulgarian woman I would bet.

I don't earn enough to comment on wages but it would depend on whether you were being paid in local rupiah or US$.

What do you do?

#53053 - 04 Jun 07 21:40 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: Piss Salon]
KenNardi Offline

cool hm this should be your delicate sense of humor I guess, having in mind that my wife is bulgarian as well... Have you ever been in BG? After your statement I'm sure not wink
I work with dairy products if that's your question.

#53054 - 04 Jun 07 21:49 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: kenyeung]
KenNardi Offline

Thanks for the info!
I suppose that meens 2500$ + the house, car & driver could be accepted as an average one. Unfortunatelly I have some doubts that the proposal will be closer to the "crap" scenario...

#53055 - 04 Jun 07 22:06 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: KenNardi]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

US$25,000 doesn't sound like a lot for a specialized, industrial position. Perhaps you are in sales or marketing? The car and house help though. What is the company? Dutch, French or Kiwi?

#53057 - 04 Jun 07 22:35 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: Piss Salon]
KenNardi Offline

I meant 2500/month not 25,000... I suppose they'll propose even less... that's my worry

#53061 - 05 Jun 07 01:03 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: KenNardi]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: KenNardi
Thanks for the info. I'm from Bulgaria - east Europe and our embassy website is quite poor; so no detailed information is available there.
This travel advices on the australian site sounds rather frightening... anyway
By the way, could you give me an example how much could be considered as a rather good monthly income for Jakarta as an expat? I don't have any standard to compare with for my negotiations...

No disrespect - but from experience you will enjoy a much better standard of life in Indo than you will in Bulgaria - a rather sweeping generalisation from Your Captain , but accurate nonetheless)

#53066 - 05 Jun 07 09:13 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
KenNardi ---- from the dairy industry and been offered a position in Indonesia. I am guessing that you have had a phone call from Alberto Ken. Am I right??

#53083 - 05 Jun 07 14:13 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: chewwyUK]
KenNardi Offline

Exactly!
You are a damn oracul, man.

#53084 - 05 Jun 07 14:23 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: KenNardi]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Well KenNardi my advice is to get your arse to Indonesia as soon as possible. It will be a very exciting time for the company in Indonesia and Alan strikes me as a good guy to be working for.

You will have a good standard of living here, the people friendly and travel around SEA is cheap and accessible. If you have any specific questions drop me a private message but if I were you I wouldn't even think twice about it

#53096 - 05 Jun 07 17:30 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: chewwyUK]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Be prepared to experience marital difficulties when you arrive though. Jakarta can be tough on women.

#53121 - 05 Jun 07 21:33 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: Piss Salon]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Piss Salon
Be prepared to experience marital difficulties when you arrive though. Jakarta can be tough on women.

best thing to do would be to dump the old tyre and start again once you get here. trust me on this.

#53132 - 06 Jun 07 07:00 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: Piss Salon]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Quoting: Piss Salon

Yep, that's what happened to my dear friend...decided to head back to Jakarta for temporary assignment. It was happy for a few months, nanny to help with kids, driver to maneuver the traffic madness, "pembantu" (3) to help around the house. BUT husband was tempted by hungry mobs of women! temptations from every angle (secretary, clients, bar women, etc.) too much for her to handle, all the happiness evaporate into sadness/worries/anger. It was a relief that she gets to come back here to the states after the temporary assignment was over. She gets her husband back!

So yeah watch out!

#53136 - 06 Jun 07 08:36 Re: what's the situation with the floods there?? [Re: doremi]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

I know a little about the environment he would be going in to and can say that there are some other western wives who have joined the company recently which will should act as some support for his mrs.

Some wives love it and some hate it. I think if your wife makes an effort to meet a few people when she first arrives she will be fine. If your wife is the type who wants to work then as long as she doesn't mind earning rubbish money she can do that too.

I am sure a few weekends on a beach in Bali will help her settle down.

Moderator:  NetCop