Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52712 - 30 May 07 17:39 Mobile phone / cell phone costs
terenjac Offline
Member+

Loc: Previously Wagin, Western Aust...
This topic has almost certainly been done before but I just had to comment on how cheap Indonesian cell phone call charges seem to be compared with those in Australia. As a general rule Indo costs seem to be considerably less than half of equivalent service charges in Oz.

My bahassa is not good enough to fully understand the information on Indosat's website ....... can anyone tell me if I would have to sign up for a 1 or 2 year contract or could I get a monthly rate ?

Here in Oz I have a AU$30 per month plan. Calls cost me 37 cents per 30 second block. Also, if I don't use all my monthly 'quota' each month I loose the unused portion. I can't carry forward to the following month.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#52716 - 30 May 07 18:41 Re: Mobile phone / cell phone costs [Re: terenjac]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
To be honest , you will find it very difficult to get a mothly billed account - they will want everything from you . PAYG is probably your only way .

#52723 - 30 May 07 19:21 Re: Mobile phone / cell phone costs [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Better off going PAYG as to get on a contract involves alot of paperwork and letter from employer etc ... and if you want to have international calls you will have to give a deposit of 3 million

if you want a cheap option Fren and Esia are cheap CDMA options

#52726 - 30 May 07 19:36 Re: Mobile phone / cell phone costs [Re: chewwyUK]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
I personally wouldn't touch CDMA - I want to be able to use the phone anywhere , with CDMA this may not be an option .

I have a Telkom account , but had to jump through hoops to get it , even though it may not be the most economic solution , I keep it for continuity of number .

#52747 - 31 May 07 06:55 Re: Mobile phone / cell phone costs [Re: terenjac]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
Quoting: terenjac
This topic has almost certainly been done before but I just had to comment on how cheap Indonesian cell phone call charges seem to be compared with those in Australia. As a general rule Indo costs seem to be considerably less than half of equivalent service charges in Oz.

My bahassa is not good enough to fully understand the information on Indosat's website ....... can anyone tell me if I would have to sign up for a 1 or 2 year contract or could I get a monthly rate ?

Here in Oz I have a AU$30 per month plan. Calls cost me 37 cents per 30 second block. Also, if I don't use all my monthly 'quota' each month I loose the unused portion. I can't carry forward to the following month.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

if you bothered to look at Indosats web page properly thyen U would see that there is a button marked ENGLISH?? three guess's as what that means,... Dickhead

(George Bernard Shaw)

#52748 - 31 May 07 07:30 Re: Mobile phone / cell phone costs [Re: Balibob]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
I see your charm and diplomacy are firing on all six cylinders this morning Bob.

You should have hung around last night, the view got better!

#52761 - 31 May 07 08:30 Re: Mobile phone / cell phone costs [Re: Dilli]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Loc: Previously Wagin, Western Aust...
Balibob, thanks for the helpful advice. You obviously got out of the wrong side of the bed today. Fortunately others on this site can understand how it is possible for even the most observant person to miss something right in front of him.

I will now look at Indosat's web page again

#52762 - 31 May 07 08:32 Re: Mobile phone / cell phone costs [Re: terenjac]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Tere,

He can be a bit blunt at times, do what I do, just ignore him and make him buy all the drinks!

#52770 - 31 May 07 10:17 Re: Mobile phone / cell phone costs [Re: Balibob]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: Balibob
if you bothered to look at Indosats web page properly thyen U would see that there is a button marked ENGLISH?? three guess's as what that means,... Dickhead

Pak Bob...Pak Bob.....Donald Duck didn't give you his tender loving care last night?! LOL

#53657 - 11 Jun 07 16:24 Re: Mobile phone / cell phone costs [Re: terenjac]
v8dave Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta Selatan
If you want a contract try XL. A hell of a lot easier than with Telkomsel (also cheaper GPRS which is what I really needed). KITAS, Passport, deposit and a survey is all I needed and after 6 months I now have a 6 mill per month credit limit and premium status with them. Service has been great too. International roaming for 2 mill deposit.

Hope this helps?

Moderator:  NetCop