Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52239 - 25 May 07 09:11 ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians

Jakarta (Antara News) - Malaysian Information Minister Datuk Seri Zainuddin Maidin said he had called on Malaysian citizens and media not to use the term "Indon" for Indonesia.

"I have made an appeal to the Malaysian media and people not to use terms which could slacken the relations between Malaysia and Indonesia which have been good so far," the Malaysian Minister told Antara News on the sidelines of a conference of ASEAN Ministers Responsible for Information (AMRI) here on Thursday.

He said Malaysia understood that the use of the word "Indon" hurts the feelings of the Indonesian people so that on Wednesday he called on the Malaysian public not to use the term.

"We only provided directives and would not take sanctions against those who still use the term `Indon`," he said.

He said that there were a lot of non-obligatory but firm advices that were applied in social intercourse in Malaysia.

"If they violate the directives we will summon them and remind them again," Datuk Zainuddin Maidin said.

In the meantime, Malaysian Ambassador to Indonesia Dato Zainal Abidin Zain said he had disseminated the Indonesian objection to the use of "Indon" for Indonesians to the Malaysian media.

"Last month I have disseminated the objection of Indonesia on the use of the term `Indon` to all Malaysian media. I hope they will now use INA instead of `Indon` for Indonesia," the ambassador said here on Thursday.

He said that actually Malaysia by no means had the intention to insult Indonesians by using the term "Indon".

"It is only the newspapers which have been using the word `Indon` because they want to save space," he added.

The ambassador said that Indonesia had actually objected to the use of the term a long time ago, but the Malaysian media remained using it for saving space in their newspapers.

Two weeks ago, Indonesian citizens in Kuala Lumpur protested the Malaysian media for using "Indon" in their articles on Indonesia which they believed tended to create a negative image in the eyes of Malaysians.(*)

#52247 - 25 May 07 11:30 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Out of interest, did he offer any alternatives?

#52257 - 25 May 07 12:26 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Dilli
Out of interest, did he offer any alternatives?

yes: "INA", the ISO three-letter code for indonesia ... boooorrrriiiinnnnggggg

#52258 - 25 May 07 12:40 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I did read that, but I was referring to ther, more colourful terms perhaps....

#52284 - 25 May 07 18:02 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
What about "Mr"?

#52321 - 26 May 07 08:00 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: Piss Salon]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

For the women as well?

#52326 - 26 May 07 09:51 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: KuKuKaChu]
sheikh al-laden Offline

Loc: kuala lumpur, malaysia
hi sultan. as a malaysian i think its a small matter bloated up cause there is no hot issue lately. as Malaysian are malays, Indonesian are indons right. what the ambassador might be talking about is Indonesia as a country and not the people. what i mean he said dont write acrym of Indonesia ( NOT Indonesians) as Indons in the news. Not calling the citizens Indons. Anyway , i will call you.... Your Highness...

#52329 - 26 May 07 10:25 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: sheikh al-laden]
Pooh Bah

the word "indon" has never been raised as an issue in the indonesia media. sounds like a furphy to me ...

#52330 - 26 May 07 10:37 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: KuKuKaChu]
sheikh al-laden Offline

but its actually true. in malaysia they/we call the TKI n TKW indons and although some did bad things, indons reflects second class n jelek.

#52337 - 26 May 07 11:55 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: sheikh al-laden]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: sheikh mohamad
indons reflects second class n jelek.

Sounds like a highly accurate neologism to me

#52338 - 26 May 07 12:00 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: sheikh al-laden]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Agreed. The epithet "Indon" is highly offensive and should be outlawed, otherwise Indonesia will never progress.

Whereas nigger, chink, dago, wop, bule, gook, nip, slant-eye, spic, redskin, skip, spade, kike, Kraut, frog, rice eater, curry muncher, honky, sand nigger, kaffir, gweilo, fuzzy wuzzie, ching-chong, cloggy, coon, cracker, cunt-eye, darky, golliwogg, honky, jigaboo, (little) jungle bunny, pikey, rag-head, tar baby, fuckin black monkey, garden boy and piss salon are all completely acceptable terms to denote race.

Edited by kenyeung (26 May 07 12:02)
Edit Reason: Mentioned "nip" twice, always been fond of the Japs, do you see.

#52351 - 26 May 07 13:29 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

For a more complete list go here.....

http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html

#52361 - 26 May 07 17:27 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: Dilli]
sheikh al-laden Offline

these indons.....

#52387 - 26 May 07 22:50 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: sheikh al-laden]
bonita Offline
Member+++

Loc: at my desk
Quoting: sheikh al-laden
these indons.....

I think ppl in PNG also call "Indon" for Indonesians and one of the newspaper owned by Malaysian (The National).

Btw, sheikh.... ahlan wasahlan? doesn't it refer to the big belly dance annual festival in Egypt?

Edited by bonita (26 May 07 23:06)

#52408 - 27 May 07 11:42 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: bonita]
kenyeung Moderator Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Quoting: bonita
ahlan wasahlan? doesn't it refer to the big belly dance annual festival in Egypt?

Ahlan Wasahlan actually means: "Silakan masuk, tapi jangan sempoyongan." It is also the name of the Cairo conservative dirty dancing festival, where for the price of a pack of Cleopatra cigarettes you can buy some smokes.

#52409 - 27 May 07 13:01 Re: ANT/Malaysians told to stop using "Indon" for Indonesians [Re: kenyeung]
sheikh al-laden Offline

ahlan wasahlan ... its what I always says when chicks begged me if they can belly dancing on top of me . they just cant help it.
Arabs.....

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop