Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52215 - 24 May 07 20:45 Stolen from EF/ DB
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
GARDEN CITY, N.Y. (May 24) - A millionaire couple accused of keeping two Indonesian women as slaves in their luxurious Long Island home and abusing them for years have been indicted on federal slavery charges.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Varsha Mahender Sabhnani, 35, and her husband, Mahender Murlidhar Sabhnani, 51, operate a worldwide perfume business out of their home, contracting with overseas factories to manufacture the fragrances.

The two were arrested last week after one of their servants was found wandering outside a doughnut shop on Long Island, wearing only pants and a towel. The woman was believed to have fled the home when she took the trash out the night before.

The couple pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court, and a magistrate judge set bail at $3.5 million and imposed home detention with electronic monitoring.

An indictment handed up Tuesday night formally charged with them with two counts of forced labor and added two counts of harboring illegal residents.

Charles A. Ross, who represents Varsha Sabhnani, has said that the couple traveled extensively and that the two Indonesian women were free to leave whenever they wished. He previously described them as "model citizens" who "only want to clear their names."

Friends and relatives indicated the two would be willing to post bail, but as of Wednesday, they remained in custody.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Demitri Jones called the allegations "truly a case of modern-day slavery."

The women, prosecutors said, were subjected to beatings, had scalding water thrown on them and were forced to repeatedly climb stairs as punishment for perceived misdeeds. In one case, prosecutors said, one of the women was forced to eat 25 hot chili peppers at one time.

One of the women also told authorities they were forced to sleep on mats in the kitchen and were fed so little, they had to steal food.

The women legally arrived in the United States on B-1 visas in 2002; the Sabhnanis then confiscated their passports and refused to let them leave their home, authorities said. Identified in court papers as Samirah and Nona, the women said they were promised payments of $200 and $100 a month, but federal prosecutors said they were never given money directly. One of the victims'' daughters living in Indonesia was sent $100 a month, prosecutors said.

They have since been cared for by Catholic Charities, according to a spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

There is only one thing that puzzles me :-

"In one case, prosecutors said, one of the women was forced to eat 25 hot chili peppers at one time. "

This is completely normal for an Indonesian

#52216 - 24 May 07 21:12 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Yes, shocking. It was one of the main stories on Drudge Report today, one of the world's most viewed news websites.

There was another recent case in California but the worst reported cases involving abuse of 'help' seem to occur in Saudi Arabia and other gulf states.

#52219 - 24 May 07 22:20 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Saudi , Dunai , Singers I have become inured to but ..........

Piss , would you belive that it happened in America ?

#52223 - 25 May 07 04:36 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Not only eating chilis, but "maids sleeping on mats in the kitchen" is de rigeur in many households around Jl Gadja Mada/Jl Hayam Wuruk and no doubt elsewhere.

Fortunately it seems some do-gooder convinced them not to take a $2,500 bribe/out-of-court settlement:

New violence, bribery claims in NY millionaires' slavery case
By FRANK ELTMAN
Associated Press Writer

May 24, 2007, 5:21 PM EDT

CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. -- A millionaire couple accused of keeping two Indonesian women as slaves were held in jail on Thursday amid new allegations that the women's relatives have been threatened and offered bribes to make the case go away.

Varsha Mahender Sabhnani and her husband, Mahender Murlidhar Sabhnani, who operate a worldwide perfume business out of their Long Island home, pleaded not guilty at their arraignment on federal slavery charges.

Prosecutors have called the allegations "truly a case of modern-day slavery."

"The defendants operated a torture house," Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Lesko told the judge, who put the Sabhnanis' bail request on hold until a hearing May 30. "They are capable of acts of violence."

Lesko and Assistant U.S. Attorney Demetri Jones announced new allegations that Varsha Sabhnani's mother, who lives in Indonesia, tried to bribe the son-in-law of one of the victims for the equivalent of $2,500. Then, they said, someone else associated with her family threatened relatives of the other victim.

The prosecutors would not disclose where in Indonesia the incidents occurred.

Defense lawyers, who have denied that the workers were abused or held against their will, were disappointed by the new allegations but said they would be "withdrawn or proven to be false."

"Obviously the allegations were upsetting, but at this point we're pretty confident," said Joseph Conway, an attorney for one of the Sabhnanis' daughters, Pooja, who works in the family business but is not charged with any crime.

Lesko also argued that the defendants are a flight risk.

"They have enough money to buy a plane," he said, and if bail were granted, "We might as well drive them to the tarmac at Kennedy airport."

The Sabhnanis were arrested last week after one of the servants, wearing only pants and a towel, was found wandering outside a doughnut shop in Syosset, on the region's so-called Gold Coast. Authorities concluded she escaped the Sabhnanis' nearby Muttontown home when she took out the trash.

Prosecutors said the women were beaten, scalded and forced to repeatedly climb stairs and take as many as 30 showers in three hours _ all as punishment for perceived misdeeds. They said one was forced to eat 25 hot chili peppers at one time.

One of the women said she was cut behind her ears with a pocket knife and both slept on mats in the kitchen. They were fed so little, they claimed, that they stole food and hid it from their captors.

They have since been cared for by Catholic Charities, according to a spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

In an indictment handed up Tuesday night, the Sabhnanis, U.S. citizens originally from India, were charged with two counts of forced labor and two counts of harboring illegal residents. They were previously taken into custody on a federal complaint filed by ICE agents.

They each face up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

#52224 - 25 May 07 05:04 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
A first!

A post from keny which does not mention a threesome

#52269 - 25 May 07 15:50 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Dilli]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
I am wagering that he hasn't seen a female human for exactly a week and is not likely to for another six to 12 months.

#52275 - 25 May 07 16:50 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Piss Salon]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Thanks. That's sufficient airing of my clean laundry on this polluted site. As luck would have it, the "Manado Connection" is on the move - so a threesome should be in the offing for the scoffing. Any more carrots yet?

#52322 - 26 May 07 08:04 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I thought that you were in fact about to score at the opening of De Hooi two weeks ago.........

#52334 - 26 May 07 11:17 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Dilli]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Me? I opted against "scoring" at De Hooi opening, as was a bit munted before arriving. I vaguely recall the tall Chinese Dayak bird slapping me in the face several times (probably just frustrated by my lack of reciprocation to her tender feelings of raging lust). And I remember drivelling utter shite (yet again) to the always patient tattooed bird from One Tree. Didn't notice your framed "Dummies Guide to Running a Dutch Pub in South Jakarta" artwork on the wall, but couldn't see much after Bart punched me in the face for hitting on some New Zealand guy's bird.

#52335 - 26 May 07 11:24 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: kenyeung]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

We did indeed meet briefly and I agree with you on the "munted", must have missed Bart smacking you!

#52343 - 26 May 07 12:27 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: kenyeung]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Quoting: kenyeung
take as many as 30 showers in three hours _ all as punishment for perceived misdeeds. They said one was forced to eat 25 hot chili peppers at one time.

Sounds about normal for an Indo bird to me

#52344 - 26 May 07 12:29 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Roy's Hair]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

just worked out who kenyeung is. I believe we're closely attached

#52345 - 26 May 07 12:34 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Roy's Hair]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Roy's hair

Roy's...it's very obvious who kenyeung is. I don't have Dilli's super power in this site, but still...it's way too obvious.

#52346 - 26 May 07 12:41 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Lulu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Were closely attached, what can you call yourself now?

#52364 - 26 May 07 17:50 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

a wig without a member

#52379 - 26 May 07 19:43 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

What , you are a "merkin"

read it fast!

#52381 - 26 May 07 19:47 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Now , talk about coincidence - reading a bit of Tom Sharpe last night , and he too refered to a "merkin"

http://www.merkinworld.com/

#52383 - 26 May 07 19:50 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

David Bowie was apparently afraid of them!

#52812 - 31 May 07 17:49 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

JP

Judge approves bail for wealthy couple accused of enslaving two Indonesians
CENTRAL ISLIP, New York (AP): A federal judge ruled Wednesday that a millionaire couple from India accused of keeping two Indonesian women as slaves will be permitted to post $3.5 million bail under strict conditions that include home detention, telephone wiretaps and 24-hour surveillance.

U.S. District Court Justice Thomas Platt told prosecutors and defense attorneys to negotiate the precise details of a bail agreement, including exactly how the security restrictions will work. He gave them until Friday to reach an agreement, but defense attorneys expressed confidence they could reach an accord sooner.

"We're very, very pleased that the defendants are getting out," said Jeffrey Hoffman, a member of the defense team for Varsha Mahender Sabhnani, 35, and her husband, Mahender Murlidhar Sabhnani, 51.

The Sabhnanis, who are U.S. citizens originally from India, operated a worldwide perfume business out of their mansion in Muttontown, on Long Island, east of New York City. They were arrested May 13 after one of the Indonesian women was found wandering outside a nearby doughnut shop. She apparently had escaped the night before when she was putting out the trash, prosecutors said.

Unable to speak English fluently, she showed her wounds and Indonesian passport to a manager at the shop and said, "Mister, mister, I want to go home, Indonesia," said Indonesian Foreign Ministry spokesman Kristiarto Legowo.

The second victim was found when agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement searched the house later the same day.

The women have been identified only as Samirah and Nona. Defense lawyers have denied that the workers were abused or held against their will.

Platt made his ruling after a hearing in which prosecutors claimed relatives of the couple had attempted to bribe one of the victims and that she was threatened with death after complaining shehad been abused by the couple.

Leo Dwinanto, the son of Samirah, said in a statement that Varsha Sabhnani's mother, who lives in Indonesia, threatened to have his mother killed after she complained to him about her treatment in theMuttontown home. (***)

#52815 - 31 May 07 18:07 Re: Stolen from EF/ DB [Re: Roy's Hair]
Polisi Cepek Offline
Member*

Loc: Di tengah hutan
Quoting: Roy's hair

Yes all that talk of Jl Gadja Mada/Jl Hayam Wuruk and knockbacks by Dayak birds has rumbled him. Seems no-one can keep their identity a secret for long on JakChat.

#52851 - 31 May 07 23:30 Angry wife cuts off and eats cheating husband's penis [Re: Polisi Cepek]
kenyeung Offline
Pujangga

Polisi Nibbler, are you back in J-town? Get any dosh from Jl Mendawai? If so, that girl's abortion cost me Rp8 juta, so pay up you irresponsible cheapskate.

Edited by kenyeung (31 May 07 23:31)
Edit Reason: An elephant was in the way.

Moderator:  NetCop