Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51888 - 20 May 07 16:49 AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Since so many people are so obsessed with the good ol' US of A --
Here's another -- "WE LOVE AMERICA" Thread:

Let's try to name some of the essential things AMERICA has given us.

I'll start with a few:

Computers
The Television
The Internet
Elvis
Cassius Clay
Levi's Jeans
Pepsi
Coke
McDonald's
Burger King
Wendy's
Chili's
Air Travel/Airplanes
The Telephone
The Lightbulb
Electricity
Jimi Hendrix
Jack Daniels
NUKEs
The savior of Britain/W.Europe in WW2
The savior of Britain/W.Europe in WW1
The savior of Asia in WW2
The savior of the JEWS
Hollywood Movies
American NFL-style Football
Baseball
Basketball
Snowboarding
Skateboarding
Surfing
AND...
Three TIMES more medals in the Olympics than any other country, which is the defining measurement when deciding on the best nation-state on the planet. Better than the Roman Empire and Britain Empire

So give it a go, there are hundreds of fabulous, essential things that you use everyday but never took the time to thank AMERICA, so this is your chance to show your APPRECIATION!

#51889 - 20 May 07 16:51 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: riccardo]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
EEK! eek How do they pay the wages? I heard very-very low, is that true?

#51892 - 20 May 07 23:31 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Just]
Tut Tut Offline
Member+

It's arguable that internet is from the UK.

#51894 - 21 May 07 02:04 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Tut Tut]
Orang Kanada Offline
Member*

Basketball? Canadian invention my friend...

#51895 - 21 May 07 03:16 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Orang Kanada]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here

Edited by riccardo (21 May 07 22:46)
Edit Reason: Total INANITY, and scurriously bringing the subject of wives and kids into a gentleman's discussion!

#51899 - 21 May 07 03:32 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

and best .....

Attachments
1820-CCUSA_plug_04.jpg

#51900 - 21 May 07 03:46 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

AMERICA IN GAS DISASTER
As American gas prices sky rocket in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and the sterling leadership of a president who continues to pursue a military campaign against irrational religious-led violence because God told him to, reports are now reaching the international media of the horrifying steps some US citizens have been forced to take in order to keep mobile. Alarm bells were first set ringing by first hand reports of at least one man on the West Coast deciding to order a brand new Dodge Thrustfucker with a 5.7-litre engine, rather than the premium package 7.8-litre V8. However, this soon proved to be just the start of a series of measures that many desperate Americans are taking as the gas crisis takes hold. Several major US cities have reported multiple cases of drivers electing not to use their cars at all, even on long journeys such as from the donut store to the Starbucks at the other end of the block. Experts say such occurrences can only mean one thing; that the gas price situation has hit so hard, some Americans may even have taken to the last resort of 'walking'. "I saw this guy yesterday, he was moving along the street but he didn't have a car," said one shocked eye witness. "He was kind of moving his legs systematically, one after the other to achieve some sort of forward motion. I can't say how, but it sure looked like he was doing this without burning any gas whatsoever. May God have mercy on us all".
As the US gas crisis deepens and with no end in sight as yet, many Americans are now turning to their President to take action, hopefully by firing some missiles at A-rabs.

Some Walkers yesterday...

Attachments
1821-Walkers.jpg

#51903 - 21 May 07 07:25 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
38 Reasons to be glad I'm Scottish

1. We're not ENGLISH
2. We make Whisky
3. We make Irn Bru from Girders (our other national drink)
4. The Romans were too scared to come across our Border
5. We won the BATTLE OF BANNOCKBURN
6. We invented the TV
7. We're not ENGLISH
8. We invented Penicillin
9. We invented Tarmac
10. We invented GOLF and have the best courses in the World
11. We invented the Telephone
12. Our men wear don't need to wear knickers when they wear the Kilt 13. We're not ENGLISH
14. Deep Fried Mars Bars
15. Tunnocks Teacakes
16. We've got the Loch Ness Monster
17. Colin Montgomery
18. Women's World Champion Curlers
19. We're not ENGLISH
20. Scotch Pies
21. Hogmanay
22. Glasgow Rangers
23. Clootie Dumpling
24. Mince n'tatties
25. Potato Scones
27. Plain Bread
28. Arbroath Smokies
29. We're not ENGLISH
30. Midges
31. We're not ENGLISH
32. Square Sausage
33. Sir Alex Ferguson
34. Jock Stein
35. Bob Shankley
36. George Bush is not our Manager
37. We’re not AMERICAN
38. Haggis

#51915 - 21 May 07 09:07 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Computers
* British or Germans invented this

The Television
* Open to debate – some say the scots

The Internet
* Think you will find it was invented in Teddington Middlesex

Elvis
*He was that genius that ended up eating to many burgers and pills and croaking it on the bog right?

Cassius Clay
* Wasn’t he Moslem?

Levi's Jeans
* I will give you Levis

Pepsi
* Rots ones teeth right of ones head right?

Coke
* Never been the same since they took cocaine out the recipe

McDonald's
* Shit Food

Burger King
* Shit Food – but love the Bacon Double Cheese Burger

Wendy's
* Shit Food

Chili's
* Shit Food

*Air Travel/Airplanes
Airplanes I will give you … Air travel I wont

The Telephone
* Bell was born in Scotland and grew up in Canada!

The Lightbulb
* Historians believe Joseph Swan invented the light bulb (English) but Edison perfected it. Edison did have a reputation for registering other peoples ideas as his inventions

Electricity
* God bless Ben Franklin and his Kite

Jimi Hendrix
* Cant argue this genius

Jack Daniels
* Cant argue this either

NUKEs
* And the only country mad enough to use them!

The savior of Britain/W.Europe in WW2
* Johnny Come lately

The savior of Britain/W.Europe in WW1
* Johnny Come lately

The savior of Asia in WW2
* Johnny Come lately

The savior of the JEWS
* Is this a good thing?

Hollywood Movies
* I shall give you film

* Not as good as English football

Baseball

Basketball

Snowboarding

Skateboarding

Surfing

#51916 - 21 May 07 09:12 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Dilli]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Quoting: Dilli
38 Reasons to be glad I'm Scottish

1. We're not ENGLISH
2. We make Whisky
3. We make Irn Bru from Girders (our other national drink)
4. The Romans were too scared to come across our Border
5. We won the BATTLE OF BANNOCKBURN
6. We invented the TV
7. We're not ENGLISH
8. We invented Penicillin
9. We invented Tarmac
10. We invented GOLF and have the best courses in the World
11. We invented the Telephone
12. Our men wear don't need to wear knickers when they wear the Kilt 13. We're not ENGLISH
14. Deep Fried Mars Bars
15. Tunnocks Teacakes
16. We've got the Loch Ness Monster
17. Colin Montgomery
18. Women's World Champion Curlers
19. We're not ENGLISH
20. Scotch Pies
21. Hogmanay
22. Glasgow Rangers
23. Clootie Dumpling
24. Mince n'tatties
25. Potato Scones
27. Plain Bread
28. Arbroath Smokies
29. We're not ENGLISH
30. Midges
31. We're not ENGLISH
32. Square Sausage
33. Sir Alex Ferguson
34. Jock Stein
35. Bob Shankley
36. George Bush is not our Manager
37. We’re not AMERICAN
38. Haggis

Pfftt... that's nothing..

we Indonesians, invented the ingenious, versatile & ultimate ingredient of all.. SWEET SOY SAUCE!!

#51917 - 21 May 07 09:28 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: chewwyUK]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: chewwyUK
The Television
* Open to debate – some say the scots

fellow by the name of Baird, wasn't it?

Quote:
Coke
* Never been the same since they took cocaine out the recipe

tastes a lot like italian chinotto. but chinotto is much better.

Quote:
Jimi Hendrix
* Cant argue this genius

some african d00d who wasn't recognised for his genius until well after woodstock while he was in England!

Quote:

nearly like rubgy, but for the mountains of protective clothing.

Quote:
Baseball

american variant of cricket.

Quote:
Surfing

perfected in australia

#51918 - 21 May 07 09:41 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quite a little debate we have going on here!

#51919 - 21 May 07 09:44 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Quite a little debate we have going on here!

more a shouting match than a debate. but who cares?! smile

#51921 - 21 May 07 10:02 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Which country is to thank for what invention is always amusing. Its surprising how many countries claim the invention is theirs. The telephone is the perfect example .. Born in Scotland, Grew up in Canada and invented when living in Boston. All three countries claim the telephone as their contribution to man kind.

The computer is another good one as there are so many arguments as to what a computer is. I mean it could be argued that an Abacus is a computer and therefore the Chinese invented the computer.

Of course the basis of this whole topic is Ric feeling like the world is against America and likes nothing more than doing a little American bashing. This is of course true but nothing new as people have enjoyed this sport for years.

However in recent times even I have noticed the escalation in negative feeling of the Americans. I think given the way they run their foreign policy this is understandable. Being British I just see it as a total embarrassment that our elected government are more than happy to play lap dog to America for fear of pissing off the strongest economic power in the world.

When I visited America I stopped off in DC and walked around all the moments. Reading what was on the walls I thought to myself what a fantastic way to build a society. Unfortunately I felt like crying when I experienced how these founding principles had been lost in Modern America.

#51925 - 21 May 07 10:16 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: chewwyUK]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"The Internet"

Computer networks may have been used by the US Defence Dept, but Tim Berners-Lee 'invented' the internet..

"Coke
McDonald's
Burger King
Wendy's
Chili's"

Amen, god i luv American shit food...

"The savior of Britain/W.Europe in WW2"

bullshit

"The savior of Britain/W.Europe in WW1"

They didn't do shit in WWI

"The savior of Asia in WW2"

Really?

and the AIF and British allied forces sat on their arse and did nothing?

Burma, Kokodo, Bueller, anybody?

"Three TIMES more medals in the Olympics than any other country, which is the defining measurement when deciding on the best nation-state on the planet. Better than the Roman Empire and Britain Empire "

bullshit, per capita Australia IS and will aways be the greatest sporting nation on earth

"Surfing"

'Invented' by the Hawaii-ns..

'American NFL-style Football'

A stop-start mind numbingly boring pseudo-contact sport played by pussies too scared to play rugby...

Since when do you need a crash helmet to play any kind of football?

I'd expect this kind of cowardice from soccer poofs...

#51928 - 21 May 07 10:51 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: naga]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
Actually Bell was 23 when he moved to Canada, and only spent a year there (funny how many Canadians claim him as theirs though), but he was not yet an American citizen in 1876 when he filed the patent.

Edison's Dad was from Nova Scotia, Canada, and Edison spent a few years working the train yards up in Southern Ontario... maybe where he got some of his ideas - or stole them.

Who invented the airplane is highly contestable, the Wright brothers were not the first to fly... this comes from wikipedia:
Quote:
Sir Ryan Edward, the inventor of the science of aerodynamics, was building and flying models of fixed-wing aircraft as early as 1803, and he built a successful passenger-carrying glider in 1853. In 1856, Frenchman Jean-Marie Le Bris made the first powered flight, by having his glider "L'Albatros artificiel" pulled by a horse on a beach. On 28 August 1883, the American John J. Montgomery made a controlled flight in a glider. Other aviators who had made similar flights at that time were Otto Lilienthal, Percy Pilcher and Octave Chanute.

Self-powered aircraft were designed and constructed by Clément Ader. On October 9, 1890, Ader attempted to fly the Éole, which succeeded in taking off and flying a distance of approximately 50 meters before witnesses. In August 1892 the Avion II flew for a distance of 200 metres, and on October 14, 1897, Avion III flew a distance of more than 300 metres. Richard Pearse made a poorly documented uncontrolled flight on March 31, 1903 in Waitohi, New Zealand, and on August 28, 1903 in Hanover, the German Karl Jatho made his first flight.

The Wright Brothers are commonly credited with the invention of the aircraft[1], but like Alexander Graham Bell's telephone, theirs was rather[citation needed] the first sustainable and well documented attempt.

USA may have given us Elvis and Hendrix... and as Kuku pointed out, the USA needed England to make him famous.... but how about the greats? How about The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton (and his many bands), etc etc etc??

#51946 - 21 May 07 16:37 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: The Great Gonzo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Flight. Sorry. Kiwi got their first mate. The irony given Kiwis can't fly huh?

Richard Pearse: "Mad Pearse", "Bamboo Dick", self-taught inventor, prophetic designer, trail blazing aviator and eccentric visionary. On or about 31st March 1903 a reclusive New Zealand farmer Richard Pearse climbed into a self-built monoplane and flew for about 140 metres before crashing into a gorse hedge on his Waitohi property . Even at half the distance Pearse must have felt the liberating but anxious exhilaration of flying. There is uncertainty about whether it met the definitions of sustained flight, but it came eight months before the Wright Brothers entered the record books at Kitty Hawk North Carolina on 17th December 1903.

And the nuke? Sorry mate. Famous Kiwi invention. Up there with pavlova.

Ernest Rutherford, 1st Baron Rutherford of Nelson OM PC FRS (30 August 1871 - 19 October 1937), widely referred to as Lord Rutherford, was a nuclear physicist who became known as the "father" of nuclear physics. He pioneered the orbital theory of the atom through his discovery of Rutherford scattering off the nucleus with his gold foil experiment.

Space Exploration. That's ours too mate.

William Hayward Pickering ONZ KBE (24 December 1910 — 15 March 2004) was a New Zealand born rocket scientist who headed Pasadena, California's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) for 22 years, retiring in 1976. He was a senior NASA luminary and pioneered the exploration of space.

While we're at it, we claim plastic surgery.

Sir Harold Delf Gillies (June 17, 1882 - September 10, 1960) was a New Zealand-born, and later Londoner, otolaryngologist widely considered as the father of plastic surgery.

We can also claim women's suffrage, having the first to stand on the top of the world, Wellywood (four of the top ten highest grossing films in the world ever), refrigeration (Thomas Brydone and William Davidson), Hamilton jet and jogging as a sport(Arthur Lydiard.

I was about to claim sheep worrying, but the Scots beat us to it.

#51947 - 21 May 07 17:39 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Piss Salon]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

With the exception of perphaps some of the more unsavoury habits of you colonials , I think it is fair to point out that most of you were British in the first place - like it or not , you buggers would still have been wearing grass skirts had we not chosen to civilise you .

#51948 - 21 May 07 18:12 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

"A man who can best adapt will prosper and make good things of himself." Charles Darwin.

NZ was first claimed by the Maori, who were mighty seafarers and then the pioneers from Europe, the creams of the crops if you like. Australia got the convicts and prison-guard types who set about murdering the locals, NZ got the best and the brightest adventurers who continue to work through the issues with the original inhabitants.

And anyway, back to the point, didn't Cassius Clay hate the US?

#51949 - 21 May 07 18:46 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Piss Salon]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

And Maori are credited by some with inventing trench warfare during the Maori land wars against the white man.

#51952 - 21 May 07 20:10 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: riccardo
Let's try to name some of the essential things AMERICA has given us.

So give it a go, there are hundreds of fabulous, essential things that you use everyday but never took the time to thank AMERICA, so this is your chance to show your APPRECIATION!

Just back from Sing-a-ling-a-ding-dong-Pore, and had a good laugh at these responses, but not one of you had the HUEVOS to add any more (of which there are thousands)....

ATTENTION SPAN-ALERT,
Read those bits from the original thread. Nobody wants to know what your little podunk kampungan countries were or were not credited for (maybe another thread), let's have a few more things that you use everyday, things that were created or "given to the world" by the good ol' US of A, which you're all so fixated upon.

C'mon, step off the anti-Americanism bandwagon for half a second, show some backbone -- doesn't one of you gits have the courage to be a non-conformist, even to admit one or two "guilty pleasures"? let's have 'em. (No cop-outs like "I don't use ANYTHING by America").

#51954 - 21 May 07 20:37 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Cop Out!

Attachments
1826-Homeland.jpg

#51958 - 21 May 07 20:42 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Dilli]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Cop Out # 2

Attachments
1827-racism.jpg

#51960 - 21 May 07 20:46 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

Cop Out # 2

go back to your reservation!

#51961 - 21 May 07 20:50 Re: AMERICA the BEAUTIFUL [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

I did have reservations about posting them, but I gave in!

(No cop-outs like "I don't use ANYTHING by America").

I think I have a "George Foreman - Lean Mean Grilling Machine", but it was made in Taiwan!

I do however posses three "Fender Guitars" which were all made in America....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  NetCop