Gentlemen, Revolutionaries, Scholars & Bules
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51765 - 18 May 07 20:36 Larry's Education
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Guy walks into a sleazy bar in New York……….

This particular guy (known to his friends as Larry) has been living in a hilltop monastery alone in Bhutan all 40 years of his life. He speaks about 20 words of English and has never read a newspaper, couldn’t tell you the first thing about America or its history or its politics – let alone any other country, but he has quite a bit of money left over from the 50 pounds of gold he brought from the monastery.

At the sleazy bar he eventually meets a down-on-her-luck, ignorant bar girl (known to her friends as Trudi). She’s a W.A.S.P. (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant – the dominant ethno-religious group in the U.S.) about 25-years-old and votes for the conservative Republican party and goes to a protestant church every once in a while. She isn’t actually from New York, she’s from a small farming village in Texas, ran away a few years ago because her uncle was sexually molesting her. She dropped out of school at the age of 12 and barely knows how to read. She soon finds out about the gold.

In a matter of days, Larry and Trudi shack up. Both seem happy with the arrangement. By and by, they are able to communicate on a rudimentary level using charades and some bits and pieces of each other’s language.

Among other things, Trudi sets about to “teach” Larry about her country, even though her own understanding only comes from her infrequent visits to a conservative church, the ideas that her uneducated Texas farmer parents instilled in her, watching Oprah and Jerry Springer and gossiping with the other white, trailer-trash bar girls.

After a couple of months of living in America with Trudi, Larry feels he knows enough to discuss the news of the day (via Fox News), the politics and general stuff about America. He now knows the name of the president and likes him, because of all the good things Trudi and FoxNews have taught him.

One day at the bar, Larry meets a Nepalese writer (friends call him Sam), who’s been living in America on and off for 15 years. Because Bhutan and Nepal are nearby, they actually share a similar dialect, so Larry can communicate with Sam and they are drawn to each other that way. Sam has a first-class education -- Oxford, Harvard, Yale – with two PhDs in American history and politics. Sam also happens to dislike most of the policies of the current U.S. administration, even though he knows many of the key players in government through his work as a researcher/writer.

Lo and behold, Larry and Sam begin discussing some of the hot American issues. Larry, even though he had never heard of the American continent 6 months previous, continually rants on glowingly of the Bush administration’s policy to bring God/Christianity back into the schools, give the death penalty to all women that support abortion and quadruple the size of Guantanamo Bay’s prison for those “illegal combatants.” Larry’s especially proud, and clear in his conviction, of the US government’s tough stance on the Kyoto Protocol, its absolute rejection of the International Court of Justice (because they might be able to bring “good American patriots and soldiers to trial”) and the administration’s strong support of CEOs from good patriotic American companies like Halliburton.

Sam tries to explain to his new friend that those policies are not good for either the American people nor citizens of other countries in the world. Larry, like any “new believer” is unconvinced. Trudi had always been so sincere in what she taught him and she was good in bed, so he decided he’d take her word for it. And, in so many words, he tells Sam that he is too cynical and even arrogant for thinking that he could possibly know more about America than Trudi (she’s lived here all her life!”) and maybe Sam just does not belong in America if he insists on thinking people like Bush and the CEO of Halliburton are not good.

Sam shrugs in exasperation and hopes his good friend will someday learn how to read in English so he could get more information and understanding, rather than simply relying on Trudi’s ignorant patriotic view of her own country.

#51797 - 19 May 07 15:10 Re: Larry's Education [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Don't be paranoid, this is not a story about anybody on JakChat, as far as I know. Kuku said this might go right over most people's heads. So here's the explanation. I recently ran into an old acquaintance (the metaphorical Larry character) who came back to Jakarta for a visit from his home in a Western country. It reminded me of a conversation involving him and another acquaintance (The metaphorical Sam character who was/is a serious scholar on East Timor) from years ago. Anyway, I remember sitting in a group having dinner and watching this interesting discussion, mostly between "Sam" and "Larry" right after the East Timor troubles, perhaps late 1999 or early 2000. "Larry", who had only been in Jakarta for 6 months but had a bargirl gf (the trudi character) commenced to tell Sam all about the lies that the western media had created about Indonesia's brutality in ET. When asked how he could be so sure, he made it plain that he believed his gf's teachings ("because she's lived here all her life and you guys haven't") more than all the international media and scholars. And it just struck me as odd that someone who's otherwise fairly switched on, could be so clueless and gullible when it comes to the realities of this country. The reason I used America as the parallel was to demonstrate just how ridiculous that would be for someone to be so ignorant, and there should be no difference with this place. The info/news is out there. It may not be as easy to find as info/news on America, but there's really no excuse....

#51801 - 19 May 07 15:46 Re: Larry's Education [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Sounds like the average aid worker/UN official.

#51812 - 19 May 07 16:55 Re: Larry's Education [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Some of them for sure, but it seems as if it can afflict guys from any country or profession.

#51815 - 19 May 07 18:40 Re: Larry's Education [Re: riccardo]
Piss Salon Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Jakpus
Of course. Eavesdrop on 99.9% of conversations you get the same result. The vast majority of people, myself included, are idiots. Fools. You have more than half the voting population of the US electing Bush – for a second time. Explain that. I continue going to work even though it is almost two months since I’ve been paid. I smoke. I wash my underwear daily, even though I know the wastewater from the process will contribute to some-as-yet unborn child growing a third arm. Stupidity.

#51819 - 19 May 07 22:05 Re: Larry's Education [Re: Piss Salon]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: Piss Salon
You have more than half the voting population of the US electing Bush – for a second time. Explain that.

Exactly! Those voters didn't take it upon themselves to figure out what the real issues and consequences were, instead they listened to Trudi, Jerry Springer and FoxNews. That's the point here. You might get some newbie fella here in Jakarta who's not American, but seems more interested in the key issues and problems in America than the Larry's and Trudi's of America. But he doesn't have CLUE ONE about anything here, and he puts all faith here in the local equivalents of Trudi, Jerry Springer and Fox and doesn't see how stupid he/she is being.

#51826 - 20 May 07 06:57 Re: Larry's Education [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Maybe it's because he is - wait for it.... A Merry Can

(No apologies - Dick Cheney used to be my boss)

Attachments
1811-merrycan.jpg

#51830 - 20 May 07 07:45 Re: Larry's Education [Re: Dilli]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
Quoting: Dilli
Maybe it's because he is - wait for it.... A Merry Can

you really, really have far too much time on your hands, dilli.

#51831 - 20 May 07 08:07 Re: Larry's Education [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
One minute's work, Piccasso-esque I would say

Edited by Dilli (20 May 07 09:17)
Edit Reason: Edited to avoid Piss' wrath

#51832 - 20 May 07 08:10 Re: Larry's Education [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

One minutes work, Piccasso-esque I would say

fuck, you must be a genius! or something!!

(and before piss mentions it, you need an apostrophe before the s in the word minute.)

#51851 - 20 May 07 11:35 Re: Larry's Education [Re: KuKuKaChu]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

(and before piss mentions it, you need an apostrophe before the s in the word minute.)

I'm curious how many native english speakers make the apostrophe error?

#51854 - 20 May 07 12:45 Re: Larry's Education [Re: doremi]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: doremi
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

I'm curious how many native english speakers make the apostrophe error?

many native speakers make that error. but it's mostly laziness wink

#51861 - 20 May 07 13:54 Re: Larry's Education [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Shouldn't that be "why" rather than "how"?

#51922 - 21 May 07 10:03 Re: Larry's Education [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
naga Offline
Member++

Loc: undisclosed location
"You have more than half the voting population of the US electing Bush – for a second time. Explain that."

they only elected him once; the Republican-stacked Supreme Court orchestrated the first 'election victory'...

Moderator:  NetCop