Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51064 - 07 May 07 21:49 yes or no
newguyintown Offline

Loc: uae
looking for advice from people who know. single guy, offered a good job in jakarta. know diddly squat about the city!!!! From what i read so far, seems like there is a good nightlife scene but not much else. Whats the story about crime and bad taxis that seem to appear very often in these pages?

#51082 - 08 May 07 07:18 Re: yes or no [Re: newguyintown]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Why do you want to leave (I presume)Dubai?

I did 2-1/2 years ago, took me a while to get used to Jakarta but it's OK now.

#51085 - 08 May 07 08:15 Re: yes or no [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Depends what you are looking for to be honest. I came from Tokyo and got a massive shock wen I arrived in Indonesia. However the place does really grow on you.

Nightlife: Not bad .. a growing number of places around that cover most tastes. Range from cosmopolitan high end clubs through to down low and dirty girl bars.

Restaurants: Growing number of good ones

Crime: It is around but then again its around in any city. I have never had any troubles since i have been here. What you have to remember is that if you have been offered good money then you will no doubt have security gaurds at your house / apartment and have access to a car and driver- makes things very safe

Bad taxis: Just stick to Blue Bird & Silver Bird and you wont have any troubles. Very good well run companies with a reputation for being safe.

Overall you cant go wrong ... The worst thing about JKT is the pollution and traffic. But there is enough to keep you amused, most of the people are very friendly, weekends away in the mountains or Bali are always available and low cost of living (if you dont go crazy)

#51112 - 08 May 07 15:53 Re: yes or no [Re: Dilli]
newguyintown Offline

nothing wrong with Dubai, just time to move on!!!! (7 years here already!) think im gonna accept the job. My biggest concern was the blanket warnings of crime and terror that the british, american and autrailina embassies have posted. However have spoken to many people and am now reassured they are vastly over exaggerated.

Coming over this weekend for a looksee. and will decide after that! cheers very much for the reply.

#51114 - 08 May 07 15:56 Re: yes or no [Re: chewwyUK]
newguyintown Offline

thanks chewwyuk. I am coming over this weekend to look at the accomodation provided etc and will check on the security/driver situation then.

heard about the pollution and traffic! maybe that is what Dubai aspires to be like in a few years. I am sure they will get they will make it, they bare progressing nicely.

one more thing. Uk citizens can get a Visa on Arrival for a vist? is that correct?

Once agin cheers for the advice?

#51115 - 08 May 07 15:58 Re: yes or no [Re: newguyintown]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
Another English guy in town! Spicy! Welcome, dude grin

#51116 - 08 May 07 16:00 Re: yes or no [Re: newguyintown]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Yeah no problem with that at all .....

If you are lucky you may be able to catch the best football match of the season on sunday .. Wolves V West Brom ... will be positing the name of the bar showing the match this week.

Welcome to join for a beer and get some more information

#51118 - 08 May 07 16:00 Re: yes or no [Re: Just]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
fresh meat ...

#51119 - 08 May 07 16:03 Re: yes or no [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

and dont the girls love a bit of fresh meat ... is it because they see them as an easy target??

#51120 - 08 May 07 16:05 Re: yes or no [Re: KuKuKaChu]
newguyintown Offline

cheers very much. will do! Wolves and West Brom eh?

#51121 - 08 May 07 16:06 Re: yes or no [Re: chewwyUK]
Just Offline
Member+++

Loc: Obviously not your place!
It's because you're no longer available? LOL

#51122 - 08 May 07 16:14 Re: yes or no [Re: Just]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Yeah .... I have 3 wolves shirts which I will be making people wear

#51131 - 08 May 07 19:57 Re: yes or no [Re: chewwyUK]
newguyintown Offline

another question.... sorry. Gonna get a VOA at the airport. some messages in this fourm state this is a difficult process. Any advice from anyone who has done it before in jakarta?

#51133 - 08 May 07 20:07 Re: yes or no [Re: newguyintown]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Yes , go to the counter (the one that says "Visa On Arrival" , and tell the guy how many days you want , then give him the money that he asks for . After that , just keep walking towards the exit until someone stops you and asks you for your passport - that will be Immigration - should be plain sailing from then on . ( if you keep giving money , and they don't do anything to your passport , then odds on you are at the Bakso Surabaja counter , move on a bit )

#51143 - 09 May 07 07:14 Re: yes or no [Re: newguyintown]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

US$ 25 for a tourist visa on arrival. (It must be in US$)

Dont change US$ before you arrive, better to change here at a moneychanger or bank. Ensure that the US$ are all later than 2002 and they must not be marked (pen, ink etc the Dubai moneychangers stamp them all the time and they will not be accpeted here) and also, try to avoid folding them.

US$ with any imperfections are known a dirty money here and they are reluctant to change them.

Do not bring Dirhams, rate is crap...

Can you pop into Spinneys and buy me four packets of Walls Pork Sausages.......

#51148 - 09 May 07 08:46 Re: yes or no [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

make the two packs please

#51151 - 09 May 07 09:01 Re: yes or no [Re: chewwyUK]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

doesn't have to be US , you will get change in Rupiah , I think Bank Niaga do the exchange (or BII) EUR and GBP accepted . No where near as fussy as krismon days - counter is right next to the VOA guy . You cannot change money elsewhere or get to an ATM before hitting immigration (I am sure I am right on that one) , so you have to use that counter .

Just checked an old VOA , there is no mention of expiry date , only length of stay - I wonder , can you buy two , to say the trouble of queuing up again on re-entry ? Stick one in each passport for emergencies .
I had the KITAS in both passports which caused absolute mayhem .

#51152 - 09 May 07 09:04 Re: yes or no [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Walls pork sausages ? Mystery bags ?
Boys , you would really be safer with Bakso and formaldehyde

#51153 - 09 May 07 09:06 Re: yes or no [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Best Pork Sausage of all time is the Porkinson Breakfast Sausage ... Sold in Sainsbury ... best thing i have ever tasted

#51171 - 09 May 07 12:10 Re: yes or no [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
newguyintown Offline

cheers got the message!!!! If no one hears from me by saturday can some one look in immigration, ill be the daft guy with 6 packets of pork sausages, a wad of dirty money and a worried expression on my face... by the way what is Bacso Surabaja when its at home

#51174 - 09 May 07 12:42 Re: yes or no [Re: newguyintown]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Quoting: newguyintown
cheers got the message!!!! If no one hears from me by saturday can some one look in immigration, ill be the daft guy with 6 packets of pork sausages, a wad of dirty money and a worried expression on my face... by the way what is Bacso Surabaja when its at home

I think that you may be in for a shock .

Bakso is a food invented by the devil , it consists of ground up arseholes formed into to little round balls (as opposed to sausages where they are well sausage shaped) , and infused with embalming fluid , served in hot water with urinal scrapings in it - the only way to make it worse would be to actually replace the bakso balls with walls pork mystery bags .

#51190 - 09 May 07 13:06 Re: yes or no [Re: newguyintown]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Details can be found here!

http://viewsfromtheeast.blogspot.com/2006/01/rat-ball-soup.html

#51191 - 09 May 07 14:16 Re: yes or no [Re: Dilli]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
Mr Cheww,.. Gormet garage on the By pass on the way to Nusa Dua,.. not far actually from your land, sell a range of pork sausages made by an irish butcher in Melbourne,.. they are fucken delicious

Walls Bangers U can get in Jasons in Sing,.. just across from Muddy's,.. haggis there too,... anything else U want??

(George Bernard Shaw)

#51214 - 09 May 07 21:10 Re: yes or no [Re: Balibob]
terranova Offline
Member+

so welcome to Jakarta newguyintown.
mostly "blue bird" (silver bird or usual one blue bird)u can trust. they mostly have good reputation here Jakarta.

#61235 - 15 Sep 07 15:01 Re: yes or no [Re: newguyintown]
Cuckoo Offline
Member++

Loc: fairyland

Oh this guy's funny laugh
wotever happens to him?

Moderator:  NetCop