Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51004 - 07 May 07 09:10 The Biggest Game of the Season ...
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
The biggest game of the season is only days away! You can forget the champions league, Man U and Chelsea because there is pure sports drama about to unfold in England.

The Mighty Wolves secured their place in the play-offs with a 4-1 thrashing of Leicester on the weekend. This sets them up for a play-off game with bitter rivals West Brom (otherwise known as the scum). For years these two clubs have hated each other and nothing means more to the fans that winning this local derby.

Given that local tensions are always high in this encounter I hate to think what this game will be like with so much on the line. Whoever comes out on top will have a shot at Premiership football next year. Premiership football will be made even sweeter this year as the difference in TV revenue between Premier and championship football is about $120 million USD

Now all i have to do is find a bar that will cover the match!!

#51006 - 07 May 07 09:31 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: chewwyUK]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
no shortages of bars showing the match Mr Cheww

(George Bernard Shaw)

#51007 - 07 May 07 09:33 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: Balibob]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Might see if Lens will put it in the garden ..... if not then Romance or Sportsman i guess

either way I will squeeze myself in to the colours!

#51008 - 07 May 07 09:37 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: chewwyUK]
Balibob Offline
Member**

Loc: Bali
mad dogs,.. satu lagi to name a few showing the game

(George Bernard Shaw)

#51009 - 07 May 07 09:41 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: Balibob]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Sportsman should be a good place to watch the game.

#51010 - 07 May 07 09:45 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: Lulu]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
so, this is soccer we are talking about??

#51011 - 07 May 07 09:47 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Lulu Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Indonesia
Naaa...we r talking bollocks kicking.

#51012 - 07 May 07 10:00 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: Lulu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

yes soccer kuku ........ this will be a great match

#51013 - 07 May 07 10:09 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: chewwyUK
yes soccer kuku ........ this will be a great match

i find it hard to understand sports where there is hardly ever any blood to see.

#51014 - 07 May 07 10:13 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Knowing the two sets of supporters I would imagine there will be plenty of blood for you to see.

#51016 - 07 May 07 10:33 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: chewwyUK]
Pooh Bah

Knowing the two sets of supporters I would imagine there will be plenty of blood for you to see.

ah, i get it now. so the idea is to watch the spectators, not the players?! how cunning!

#51019 - 07 May 07 11:45 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
The new Bishop of Wolverhampton takes up his duties during a decisive weekend for local football clubs admitting mixed football loyalties.

The sports-mad Clive Gregory stated, “It is very easy to congratulate Walsall on their promotion and I prayed for victory at their match on Saturday; and its also easy to wish both Wolves and West Brom well as they meet during the forth coming week”

The Brummy Sky Pilot added, “The difficulty for me will is that Wolves and West Brom have made it to the play-offs. Who should I support then?

“I may be the Bishop of Wolverhampton, but my area includes West Bromwich too! West Bromwich has always had the nicer totty when compared to the scuzzy Wolverhampton slags. I much prefer head during confessional from a West Brom Baggie than a yellow shell suited Wolves supporter.

“I know there is fierce local rivalry between the two teams; but after much thought I have decided that God’s message to me is that West Brom are the better of the two and Wolves can get fucked”

The Rt Revd Clive Gregory did not start his formal duties until his welcome service at Lichfield Cathedral last Saturday afternoon; but he has already undertaken to bless the West Brom team and piss on the Wolves dressing room door.

#51037 - 07 May 07 12:42 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

One few Wolves songs that sum up the general feeling ......

We had joy, we had fun,
We had West brom on the run,
But the joy didn't last,
Cos the bastards
Ran too fast

Build a bonfire, Build a bonfire
Put the albion on the top
Put the villa in the middle and burn the fuckin lot!

Fight, Fight
Were ever you maybe
Cos we am the boys of the black country
And we'll beat you all were ever you may be
Cos we am the boys of the black country.

Shit on the albion,
Shit on the albion tonight,
Shit on the albion,
shit on the albion tonight

#51038 - 07 May 07 12:44 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ah, the intellectual poetry of the Black Country at its best!

#51039 - 07 May 07 12:49 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: chewwyUK]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

and of course the old favorite which will be no doubt be sung ...

Oh stevie bulls a tatter he wears an england cap
He plays for wolverhampton hes a lovely chap
He scores with his left foot he scores with his right
and we play the albion he scores all fucking night.

For those of you who want to hear that one ... here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK2SmdS2RLA&mode=related&search=

#51044 - 07 May 07 13:23 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: KuKuKaChu]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Quoting: KuKuKaChu
so, this is soccer we are talking about??

He must be referring to the NFL EUROPE, because he specifically used the word "football"...
http://www.nfleurope.com/

#51045 - 07 May 07 13:31 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

no --- I am talking about the world game. Not some obscure sports that nobody cares about

#51046 - 07 May 07 13:36 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

To whom ever it may concern.

I visited this thread looking for subjects on FOOTBALL.

I found your site to be totally lacking in any serious information on this subject, but I decided to examine your site. AND WHAT DID I FIND?? A posting about "How to become an American." This very notion made me feel sick to my stomach.

I was so repulsed by this idea that I just had to look and see what possible justification you gave to become a citizen of the most repugnant country on the face of the planet. (America is on a par with France and Iraq.) Upon opening the offending post I was horrified to read the first paragraph. Never before had I been so offended. The comment, "He must be referring to the NFL EUROPE, because he specifically used the word "football"...indicates to me that what he was really trying to say was "In the future, we believe that all people will be Americans..."

That very thought sickens and chills me to my very core. The world has enough problems as it is without the entire species degenerating into Americans. What Americans seem to be unaware of is the fact that the world does not revolve around America.

Far from it, America is seen as somewhat of a joke by the International Community. So please stop polluting the Internet with this kind of filth.

Never will the world be subjected to the mind numbing "American Way of Life", and watch your backs, for when the nukes begin to fall, they won't be Russian, Chinese or Iraqi, for the flag on those missiles will be the Scottish Saltire.

Long may the cities of American burn with the fire of nuclear cleansing and its peoples die of Radiation. I offer a toast to the downfall of the DISEASE AMERICA.

And I hope Wolves get fucked!

Attachments
1671-charlie_brown_lucy_football.jpg

#51051 - 07 May 07 14:02 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Did your meds run out Dill?

#51054 - 07 May 07 14:09 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: riccardo]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Em, no, but I felt like a bit of retaliation....

#51056 - 07 May 07 14:28 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: Dilli]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Retaliation?? Did the USA beat you guys AGAIN in soccer? Or was it rugby again??

BTW, this big game is on at 2am Thursday!! OR, a couple hours after midnight Wednesday night. I only know of one place that may show it, and that's Romance, or perhaps Pappa CAFE.

#51075 - 08 May 07 00:13 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: riccardo]
The Great Gonzo Offline
Member+

Loc: Big Durian
How the hell do the Yanks (and the Canadians with the CFL) get off on using the term 'football' anyway?
A very small percentage of ball control is directed by the foot, unlike the real game of football.
Maybe it should be called 'carryball' or 'passball'...
At least with baseball and basketball there is some connection between the name of the game and the goal.

#51099 - 08 May 07 13:01 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: The Great Gonzo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Ric the first leg kicks off at 12 noon on Sunday the 13th ... so thats around 6 or 7 o'clock Jakarta time. The return leg is on the 16th with a very unsociable kick off time!

#51102 - 08 May 07 13:53 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: chewwyUK]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Ric the first leg kicks off at 12 noon on Sunday the 13th ... so thats around 6 or 7 o'clock Jakarta time. The return leg is on the 16th with a very unsociable kick off time!

You're quite right, sorry I was looking at the ManU-Chelsea tilt. That said, the Wolves won't be on "normal" cable stations here, so you'll have to try Sportsmans or Aphrodite, which both have the South African network "Super Sport TV". SS has several channels and that game will be live on SS-3. Ask Lens if he has Super Sport.
I might actually join you, these playoff games are crazy intense. Last year, we watched a Leeds playoff game with a couple of nutty Leeds boys.
Here's their website:
http://www.sportsmansbar.com/new/index.php?&tz=-420
BUT it only seems to work using the I.E. browser. They don't have your game listed, but you can call them and "reserve" it. The Tel. should be on the website somewhere.

#51103 - 08 May 07 14:12 Re: The Biggest Game of the Season ... [Re: riccardo]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

The etymology of the words "football" and "soccer":

While it is widely believed that the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this is a false etymology. An alternative explanation has it that the word originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot. These sports were usually played by peasants, as opposed to the horse-riding sports more often played by aristocrats. This explanation is supported by the fact that the word football has always implied a wide variety of games played on foot, not just those that revolved around kicking a ball.
source: wikipedia

And this from the German mag Der Spiegel
...as much as the world likes to mock Americans for their ignorance of the beautiful game, football just isn't the correct term for it in English. Soccer is right.

The world comes from 19th-century British slang for "Association Rules" football, a kicking and dribbling game that was distinct from "Rugby rules" football back when both versions were played by British schoolboys. The lads who preferred the rougher game popular in schools like Rugby and Eton seceded from Britain's fledgling Football Association in 1871 to write their own rules, and soon players were calling the two sorts of football "rugger" and "soccer."
/.../
The grand irony is that people from the British Isles don't know what to call it. "Football" is just not as accurate a word in the English language. It's also less used. Officially or unofficially, the game is referred to as soccer in the US, Australia and Canada, a combined English-speaking population of around 350 million -- as compared with the UK and Ireland's 65 million. The word, though, is solidly associated with the United States and many Americans denigrate the game as wimpy, effeminate and European and hold up American football as the real man's game. A semantic reaction from the UK is only to be expected.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,420024,00.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  NetCop