Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50936 - 05 May 07 19:28 M/S Vista
terenjac Offline
Member+

Loc: Previously Wagin, Western Aust...
Hi,

Does anyone know if Open Office ( version 2.1 ) the freeware equivalent of Microsoft Office, is compatible with Bill Gates' latest release, M/S Vista?

Yes, I am trying to get an answer from the Open Office site but I thought I would try here as well.

PS If this is not the right forum for this topic I apologise.

Thanks

#50948 - 06 May 07 09:40 Re: M/S Vista [Re: terenjac]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
i haven't tried OpenOffice on Vista, but i can't see any reason why it should be incompatible.

i think the latest release of OO is 2.2. this is an 'enhanced Vista integration' version.

#50980 - 06 May 07 18:58 Re: M/S Vista [Re: KuKuKaChu]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Kukukachu, thanks for your reply. I did manage to find 3 posts on this topic on another forum. All 3 said that Open Office is compatible with Vista.

On Friday I bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 at a very good price from an online auction seller. When it arrives sometime next week, complete with Vista, I will download and install Open Office.

My preference was for a machine with Windows XP Professional operating system but I got a better price on the model with Vista already installed.

I'm looking forward to becoming familiar with Vista and with Open Office.

#51000 - 07 May 07 08:52 Re: M/S Vista [Re: terenjac]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
speaking of which is Vista available at Ratu Plaza yet???

#51003 - 07 May 07 09:03 Re: M/S Vista [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
Sure is, but I do not believe it is totally compatible with iTunes yet!

#51018 - 07 May 07 10:46 Re: M/S Vista [Re: Dilli]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

almost seems unbelievable that Vista doesn't play nice with ITunes ... almost like Bill Gates does these things on purpose

#51058 - 07 May 07 16:56 Re: M/S Vista [Re: chewwyUK]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Bill Gates does a lot of things on purpose that I don't particularly like. That's why I use Firefox, Thunderbird and am about to use Open Office.

I also use Iinet as my ISP here in Australia. That's because Telstra, which is the big government telco, behaves very much like Bill Gates.

#51527 - 15 May 07 17:47 Re: M/S Vista [Re: terenjac]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Here is an update ........... I have just taken delivery of a new laptop (Notebook) with Vista installed. It has 1 Gb Ram and a 1.73 Ghz CPU. Haven't had much time to play with it BUT, at first glance it seems slower than my old PC which has Windows XP, 512 mb RAM and a 1Ghz CPU.

I hope to install Open Office tomorrow. Will let you know if there are any compatibility issues.

#51568 - 16 May 07 09:25 Re: M/S Vista [Re: terenjac]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

there will be ..... I talked to my IT manager in Australia who said that everybody who has installed vista said it slowed the performance of their PC

#51636 - 16 May 07 19:02 Re: M/S Vista [Re: chewwyUK]
terenjac Offline
Member+

I spent a few hours today 'playing' with my new comp. I had a few wins and a few losses. The good is that I can just slip an SD memory card into the slot and it downloads my photos on to the computer. Also I have installed Open Office and that seems to be operating well.

Firefox has been a little temperamental but that's to be expected.

The bad is that I can't download photos from my phone onto the comp. Hopefully I will figure out just what I am doing wrong.

Also have only been able to network my old HP printer on to the laptop. It's an inkjet and the cartridges are expensive so I don't use it much now. I have a laser printer and that's much cheaper per page but I can't get it to network with the laptop.

Of course things would be much easier for me if the shop had put a Windows Vista manual in the box instead of the Windows XP manual.

Oh well, life wasn't meant to be easy!

#51637 - 16 May 07 19:47 Re: M/S Vista [Re: terenjac]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
I am not sure I would mess with Vista until it reaches SP2 , let someone else have the trouble - problem is if you have dual core processors , then you need Vista to get the best out of your PC

#51639 - 17 May 07 06:50 Re: M/S Vista [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
yes, i agree. i always bide my time before jumping into new operating systems. there are *always* problems. let someone else sort out these problems for you; we are not bill gates' unpaid beta testers.

#51650 - 17 May 07 08:33 Re: M/S Vista [Re: KuKuKaChu]
terenjac Offline
Member+

I'm inclined to agree with Capt Mainwaring and with Kukukachu.

When I bid on my new laptop there were several up for auction and I really wanted to get one with XP installed but I was able to get one with Vista installed for a lower price. I guess the other bidders weren't keen on Vista either. Anyway, as money was in short supply I had no choice but to go for the cheaper computer.

I know I am going to have a few problems until I get to fully understand Vista but at least solving problems should keep my brain functioning.

#51656 - 17 May 07 11:02 Re: M/S Vista [Re: terenjac]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Our dear friends at Microsoft are having problems getting people to buy into the Vista OS.

Accordingly, a new marketing strategy has been unveiled!

Attachments
1783-Windowsvistamarketing.jpg

#51714 - 18 May 07 09:36 Re: M/S Vista [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
Yeah, I wouldn't touch Vista for a year or so or until you next update your hardware so it's fast enough to run the fucker properly. What's the rush??

#51715 - 18 May 07 09:43 Re: M/S Vista [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Some people cannot wait to get something new that they can moan about when it fucks everything up!

Remember Windows ME......

#51817 - 19 May 07 18:48 Re: M/S Vista [Re: Dilli]
v8dave Offline
Member*

Loc: Jakarta Selatan
Quoting: Dilli
Some people cannot wait to get something new that they can moan about when it fucks everything up!

Remember Windows ME......

Check out all the moaning about Symbian OS 9.1 that is installed on the Sony Ericsson P990i (not to mention the latest Nokia phones). Full of bugs and memory issues, yet everyone keeps buying the phone and posting all there problems on numerous forums around the globe!!! We humans are a strange lot!!

#51822 - 20 May 07 06:20 Re: M/S Vista [Re: v8dave]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Ah but Dave, the Symbian OS allows one to use Blackballer (the best little programme for phones ever invented)....

#51837 - 20 May 07 08:46 Re: M/S Vista [Re: v8dave]
terenjac Offline
Member+

OK, I'll bite .... what is "Blackballer"?

#51841 - 20 May 07 09:16 Re: M/S Vista [Re: terenjac]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

A beautiful little programme that allows you to "Blackball" incoming calls and SMS, consigning them to a hidden part of the phone memory acessible only by yourself. These do not show on incoming call alerts or standard missed message areas on your phone.

The caller gets a "dead line" signal and presumes you have changed number or left the country.

Brilliant!

#51859 - 20 May 07 13:39 Re: M/S Vista [Re: Dilli]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
I assure you that I can achieve the same result without recourse to software .

#51926 - 21 May 07 10:41 Re: M/S Vista [Re: Dilli]
terenjac Offline
Member+

Tried to install an older version of Nero on my new laptop but was unable to because of 'compatibility problems'. Also tried to download the latest version of Nero (it is supposed to be compatible with Vista) but that wouldn't complete the download. Pity, because Nero is great for copying and burning CDs and DVDs.

Guess that's just one of the many problems that I will experience with Vista. I was expecting problems so it's no surprise.

Edited by terenjac (21 May 07 10:42)

#51927 - 21 May 07 10:43 Re: M/S Vista [Re: terenjac]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Nero can't burn MP4's to CD's which is what I am trying to do at the moment. Cant seem to make it work .. anybody tell me why?

#51929 - 21 May 07 10:52 Re: M/S Vista [Re: chewwyUK]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Think there is an issue with the AAC encoder, can you get the pictures but the sound is crap. I believe that Nero do have a plug in available.

Also, why are you trying to burn MP4s, they are very compressed and quality when played from DVD is crap, although it is OK for the iPod.

#52660 - 30 May 07 08:31 Re: M/S Vista [Re: Dilli]
terenjac Offline
Member+

After less than 2 weeks using Vista I have decided it is a waste of space. XP was/is heaps better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  NetCop