Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50620 - 01 May 07 17:09 JP belabors point
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Thousands of labors hit streets in major cities

JAKARTA (JP): Carrying various banners, thousands of labors Tuesday hit streets in major cities across Indonesia to mark the International Labor Day or May Day.

In Jakarta, labors from various organizations carried out street rallies in main roads including Jl. M.H. Thamrin, Jl. Sudirman, Jl. Gatot Subroto, and in the roads close to presidential palace and other government's offices.

Many of the labors, who also came Bekasi, Bogor, Tangerang, and Depok, had arrived in Jakarta before 9 a.m.

They voiced a number of issues including better welfares, holiday for the International Labor Day, and revision to a number of regulations including the investment law which they claimed ignoring their aspirations and only accommodating interests of employers.

"I have to take my leave to take part in this action because today is not a holiday," Suyanto, a labor from Tangerang, told The Jakarta Post in sideline of the street rallies on Jl. Gatot Subroto.

Previously, Jakarta City Police said they would deploy some 20,000 police officers to guard some 30,000 to 50,000 labors, who reportedly would take part in this action.

Similar street rallies were also reported from a number of Indonesian cities, including Semarang, Yogyakarta, Surabaya, Medan, and Makasar. (TWS/BBN)

#50621 - 01 May 07 17:54 Re: JP belabors point [Re: riccardo]
chewwyUK Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
well Suyanto my old son .. my heart bleeds for you! Poor bastard has to take a days leave march around the streets to demonstrate his aspirations of wanting more pay and better benefits with no commitment to improving his productivity.

Moderator:  kenyeung, NetCop