Forums and Chat for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50410 - 28 Apr 07 07:37 lasik
KuKuKaChu Moderator Offline
Pooh Bah

Loc: Centre of the Universe
has anyone here ever had that lasik eye treatment?

#50411 - 28 Apr 07 07:45 Re: lasik [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: Nearest Bar
The "murcan" guy I work with thought he would get laser treatment, I suspect out of vanity. He fucked off over to KL (via Air Asia) for the free consultation and was advised that his eyesight was not considered as bad enough for the surgery.

It appears that you need to have really buggered up vision for the surgery to be effective as it can only be peformed once and moderate vision impairment does not qualify.

As an aside, the Malaysian surgeon recommended not to have this type of work performed in Indonesia as power fluctuations (or worse a power cut) can affect the laser treatment and leave you worse than before.

#50413 - 28 Apr 07 08:01 Re: lasik [Re: Dilli]
Pooh Bah

well that's interesting. i'm not considering this for cosmetic reasons -- i look dashing with or without glasses -- but because i really hate having to wear progressive lens. they do funny things to your sight. (i'm "only" minus 4.5.) having more than one pair of glasses, swapping between long distance and reading glasses, is a pain in the arse.

#50414 - 28 Apr 07 08:23 Re: lasik [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

what wrong with your eye, KU..?? can't see anymore wink

#50415 - 28 Apr 07 08:28 Re: lasik [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

We all know why you are losing your sight Ku!

#50416 - 28 Apr 07 08:28 Re: lasik [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Jokie Jokie Girl
Quoting: KuKuKaChu

what wrong with your eye, KU..?? can't see anymore wink

yes, i can see. i just can't see very well. too many years in front of a CRT monitor, perhaps. can be quite dangerous at times crossing roads because i don't have complete peripheral vision wearing progressive lenses. peripheral vision is also very important biar bisa melirik waktu cuci mata di mal smile

#50417 - 28 Apr 07 08:34 Re: lasik [Re: Dilli]
doremi Offline
Member+++

Loc: slouch couch
Quoting: Dilli

As an aside, the Malaysian surgeon recommended not to have this type of work performed in Indonesia as power fluctuations (or worse a power cut) can affect the laser treatment and leave you worse than before.

Yeah I wouldn't do lasik in Jakarta either, just don't feel confident about it-leave you worse than before-that's an understatement. In the US, lasik surgery is like botox injection.

#50418 - 28 Apr 07 08:35 Re: lasik [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Jokie Jokie Girl Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Central Jakarta
Kuku..nggak pernah berubah deh wink you have for wives and sexy staffs..why must be in Mall smile

anyway Ku, why don't you try to come to Eye Center medical in Menteng..or in blok M area..I know that place if you want me to look for you smile

#50422 - 28 Apr 07 09:08 Re: lasik [Re: Jokie Jokie Girl]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: jakarta
I've been considering it for ages and have visited the Jakarta Eye Centre in Menteng to take a look. I don't think the power fluctuation thing is an issue, I'm sure they've thought of that. It seemed a very professional outfit in fact, the most professional thing I've seen in this country. It'll cost ya 9 million per eye for normal LASIK. I'm still scared though but may do it. I know plenty of people who've had it done.

#50425 - 28 Apr 07 09:46 Re: lasik [Re: Roy's Hair]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
I wouldn't do it anywhere that power continuity is not guaranteed - you might end up with eyes like sheeps vagina's if there is a power fluctuation .

Of course the Malaysian surgeon recommended that the treatment wasn't done in Indonesia -

Edited by Capt. Mainwaring (28 Apr 07 09:51)

#50426 - 28 Apr 07 10:06 Re: lasik [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
riccardo Offline
Pujangga

Loc: Jakarta
Good vision isn't all it's cracked up to be. Most of my life, I've had 20-12 vision in one eye and 20-08 in the other. Don't know what that is in terms your guys' numbering system [probably something like +2.0 or +2.5], but it puts me in the top 1% of the global human population. I can see the seams of a 90mph baseball pitch and determine the direction it's spinning before deciding if it's a curveball that will drop left or right. (That and a dollar gets me a cup of coffee).

The problem is, it's a bit of a "handicap" in that what I see, I assume others can see -- but they often can't -- which leads to a whole new set of problems and misunderstandings...
So Kuku, just stay 4.5 and you'll be able to relate to the mainstream human population much better than I ever will.

#50428 - 28 Apr 07 11:57 Re: lasik [Re: riccardo]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
my sister had done it few years back in Indonesia, she had no problem with it at all. There were redness for couple of weeks (you could actually see blood stains around the black of her eyes, but it didnt hurt or anything).

Comment from her " It feels so free, no more fumbling with lenses & glasses, felt like i've been cured from blindness"

A friend of hers saw the result & did it in Singapore. Unexpectedly in the middle of the process the machine got jammed (Well that's what she was told). She had to come back to do the other eye the next day..

#50429 - 28 Apr 07 12:09 Re: lasik [Re: riccardo]
Capt. Mainwaring Offline
Pujangga Besar

Loc: here
Quoting: riccardo
Good vision isn't all it's cracked up to be. Most of my life, I've had 20-12 vision in one eye and 20-08 in the other. Don't know what that is in terms your guys' numbering system [probably something like +2.0 or +2.5], but it puts me in the top 1% of the global human population. I can see the seams of a 90mph baseball pitch and determine the direction it's spinning before deciding if it's a curveball that will drop left or right. (That and a dollar gets me a cup of coffee).

The problem is, it's a bit of a "handicap" in that what I see, I assume others can see -- but they often can't -- which leads to a whole new set of problems and misunderstandings...
So Kuku, just stay 4.5 and you'll be able to relate to the mainstream human population much better than I ever will.

Well you do have rather large eyes ....

#50430 - 28 Apr 07 12:21 Re: lasik [Re: Capt. Mainwaring]
Choc_Cow Offline
Member**

Loc: Di Puncak
Kuku, if you want to know first hand, ask Hanabi, she's done it..

#50431 - 28 Apr 07 12:24 Re: lasik [Re: Choc_Cow]
Pooh Bah

Quoting: Chocolatea
Kuku, if you want to know first hand, ask Hanabi, she's done it..

really? would never have guessed ... not that i know what a lasiked person is supposed to look like. maybe a lasik person looks like they should be wearing glasses??

where is hanabi anyway? did we scare her off?

#50449 - 29 Apr 07 07:15 Re: lasik [Re: KuKuKaChu]
andrea Offline

Loc: jakarta utara
What's "cuci mata"?

#50451 - 29 Apr 07 09:07 Re: lasik [Re: andrea]
Pooh Bah

"cuci mata" literally means to wash the eyes. it means to look at something that is cleansing and/or refreshing to the eyes. looking at cewek cantik di mal works the same.

#50462 - 29 Apr 07 21:53 Re: lasik [Re: KuKuKaChu]
xsbir Offline
Member+

Loc: The Big Durian
I had laser surgery on my eyes in Dec. 1996, so more than 10 years ago. Before that I had worn glasses since the age of 10, and had -7 and -7.5 perscription at the time. Since then, almost perfect vision, and an added benefit is that the eye doctors say I may never need reading glasses. Best money I've ever spent! Lasik go for it, but...power surges..?

#50464 - 30 Apr 07 07:04 Re: lasik [Re: xsbir]
Pooh Bah

minus 7.5 is pretty bad! and i thought 4.5 was pretty awful ...

what about the after effects? i mean, i've you've already treated do you throw away your glasses straight away, or do you have to get measured up for lowered powered glasses?

#54864 - 28 Jun 07 08:43 Re: lasik [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

had it done yesterday!! And back on Jak. Chat today - don't need a braille version. It's amazing. Laser Sight Centre (Ozzie company) on Jl. Tendean - 15 mil. I'm just about to ceremonially ride my bicycle over my glasses. Vision very clear already after only one night. Don't worry about the power cuts - these places have uninterrupted power supply generators (obviously - for fuck's sake)

Edited by Roy's hair (28 Jun 07 08:48)

#54865 - 28 Jun 07 08:47 Re: lasik [Re: Roy's Hair]
Pooh Bah

cool! any pain? any blurred vision? any adjustment issues??

#54866 - 28 Jun 07 08:55 Re: lasik [Re: KuKuKaChu]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

I had to close my eyes for 6 hours last night and it felt a bit scratchy but this morning there's no feeling of discomfort at all and vision almost totally clear (it takes a month or so recovery to reach full clarity apparently but I'd say I'm about 95% there after only one night). Just have to use some medicated eye drops for ten days. I say go for it - it's a mature technology now and they have all the latest Bausch and Lomb machines in Indonesia - virtually all the guy has to do is push the button

#54883 - 28 Jun 07 11:42 Re: lasik [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

How bad do your eyes ned to be to be considered...

#54890 - 28 Jun 07 12:17 Re: lasik [Re: Dilli]
Roy's Hair Offline
Pujangga Besar

mine were a pathetic minus 4.5 and minus 7. I don't think it matters - the important thing is that your eyesight has been stable for a year or so and isn't changing.

#54918 - 28 Jun 07 14:05 Re: lasik [Re: Roy's Hair]
Dilli Offline
Pujangga Besar

Rules me out, mine have changed slightly over the past six months, suppose I will have to let them settle a while

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  NetCop